20 pounds by Easter challenge

Options

Replies

• Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I love dressing up :) I actually went shopping all day yesterday in an effort to find some new clothes that fit. Unfortunately I am at a really weird place size wise so today I am tailoring a couple outfits from my closet in an effort to have something to wear at two functions over the next couple of days..... So frustrating to go through all the effort to get the extra weight off and still have nothing to wear :/

Which brings me to my problem of the day. I just haven't been able to figure out why my body lost inches differently this time than ever before.... Literally, I am 8pounds less than the lowest I have been since1997. My measurements are identical in the breasts and hips to1997 when I weighed more as well as the last time I measured in2005, again at a higher weight. My arms are 1/2 inch smaller, thighs 1 inch smaller, my calfs are the same. (God bless swimming ;) ) My waist, however, is 1 1/2 inches BIGGER! I am really not sure how to fix it!!

Any ideas for slimming the waist line without losing any more weight? So frustrating :s Is this just my new post menopausal norm?

Tami
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks Eninad for dropping in I am looking forward to postinon the 4 th oJuly group as soon as I get me a computer with a large screen so can enjoy reading all of the posting here again. this IPad keyboard and small print is almost beyond me.

<3 Marie
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Tami I understand the losing weight and still not having clothes to wear. I wanted to lose weight because I have sooo many articles of clothing I'd like to wear, but as things progress some of those clothes are getting too big! When I reach my goal I'll need new pants for sure, my smaller jeans are already getting roomy on me. I'm not going to complain though.. too much. Haha. If I have to go to a thrift store and buy tiny sizes I'll be ok with that. :)

Marie, I hope you can get an actual computer to use soon!
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Good morning, misfit losers! Happy Thursday!

Tami/Ray..that is a good problem to have! One way to reshape your body and get a smaller waist is to lift weights.
    Marie.. Hope you get your computer soon.

I hope all of you are doing well and keeping cool. It's gonna be very hot/humid so had to make the dog get up and go for a walk! :#B)
    Body pump class for me today.

Stay strong, losers!
    Connie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    good morning Connie dear? We had our hottest day yesterdAy. 97 a little cooler today 94

Jerry cutting grass early this morning before it gets too hot. I am putting on a pot of butter bean for dinner tonight.
    Hoping to get in to the sewing room today.other than that nothing.

Have a wonderful day keep cool
    <3 Marie

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Morning,

A quote for today, "Everyday, in everyway I am getting better and better." No matter how hard we are trying we are
    getting results even if they are small.

I just finished making sauerkraut in the crockport with carrots and sausage for the pot luck dinner on Saturday night.
    We are leaving tomorrow for our first sailing club cruise for the weekend. I will be tracking my exercise and trying
    to watch my food intake. They are predicting some rain so we will have to take it as it is.

Marie - 97 F is beyond me, I couldn't stand that temperature. I hope you have A/C at home and stay indoors. Those
    temperatures are hard on elderly people. Stay cool!

I agree with Connie with that weights is the way to go. I have been leaving my weights alone for a while because my
    arms were really getting sore in the shoulders. I get my strength training at Yoga.

Enjoy the day!

Shirley
  • eyegirl777va
    eyegirl777va Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,
    Yes it is hot and so humid!!! Don't enjoy getting outside with these temps.
    Hope everyone will have a great and productive day.
    Nancy
  • Eninad
    Eninad Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Weights. I need to do weights. I just can't get to the regular motivation of it. Yet.

When I do get to the weights (honestly once a month, so far.../sigh) it's only the 5 pound hand held ones and I do three reps of ten each in arm motions. I'm still not able to bend for lunges or do squat-like movement. My knees hurt so bad, but I keep reading the strength of Esther and other successes and I think, don't be a baby Eninad, just do one.

Ok. I'll try to do one-three lunge like movement on each leg at bedtime. That is a start. After a week of it I'd have done more than I've ever in my life, LOL, right?

See? Posting and talking it out helps me make concrete thoughts towards doing. THANKS Misfit board!
  • rayw89
    Options
    I've been wanting to start doing weight training, but I just don't know where to start. I was thinking of posting a question about it on the forums but figured I'd get jumped on by the normal group of know-it-all's.

Shirley your pot luck dinner sounds good. I'm not big on sauerkraut but I do love crock pot sausage, especially with onions and potatoes. I don't eat meat any more but I do remember how good it can taste.

I swapped my coffee for espresso shots today, so I'm hoping for an extra push at the gym. :)

-Rachel
  • slw19
    slw19 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    hi all,
    just got back from spin, do you ever work out and your mind is 100% somewhere else, not my best workout!!

connie, I agree that we all help each other and communicating and reading keeps us going:)

Rachel, is there a class offered? that is really how I started weight training.

hello to everyone!!

stephanie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    We usually cut the air off at bedtimeShirley you don.t live in Texas without a/c you better believe we do. However We did go a long time without a/c we had fans tho then went thru water coolers. Which really much help. But we were younger and could take the heat better, We usually cut the a/c off at bedtime and the ceiling fan keeps us confortable all night. With light covers.

marie
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Well I have been checking out the class descriptions and think I have settled on trying Fit for Life.... A mix of stretching and strengthening appropriate for all fitness levels apparently ;) They are M-W-F, and I can still do swimming the other 2 days. I have a feeling tomorrow I am going to want to die LOL. But, I have to start somewhere right!

I am hoping by saying it out loud I will actually commit to going tomorrow B)

Have a great day everyone !! Stay cool Marie!

Tami

• lovesretirement
    Options
    @rayw89.. I would skim the forums under fitness because that question as been asked and answered. Many begin with a book called New Rules for Lifting for Women I think. You can also Google "body weight strength training" that will give you exercises to do using your own body. There are a lot of beginner DVDs for strength training as well. A long time ago, I did it at home with video tapes and dumbells. But, like everything else, I never challenged myself to increase the weight or change my food to accommodate my new weight and eventually just gave up.

Now, having joined a gym and having a personal trainer, all of that has changed. Even though my weight is just sitting at the same place right now, my body has changed. ( I actually moved my back bra hooks over to ANOTHER row this morning!)
    Plus, there is no way I could have lasted through a body pump class without the strength, endurance, and flexibility I have gained since December!

@Eninad My knees used to hurt, but they don't anymore. On the squats...Yes, you will be sore, you'll have to hold on to the wall to ease yourself down to use the toilet, you will feel like a truck ran over you, but it does not last for long. :) I cannot go deep on the lunges, but I get better with practice. You know your body and its limitations so don't over do it. The key, I think, is stepping out of your fitness comfort zone.

Connie
  • JLoRuthie
    JLoRuthie Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, just wanted to pop in on the weight lifting. I was able to get New Rules of Lifting for Women at our library! It is a good read and gave me a place to start. Also, I bought used Dumbbells at Play it Again Sports.
    Ruthie
  • eyegirl777va
    eyegirl777va Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I had a very vivid dream a few nights ago (I very seldom remember dreams) but this one I did.
    I dreamed I stepped on the scales and it was 138 3/4 lbs. I looked, looked again and that was correct.
    Was disappointed when I weighed and that was not what I saw but it did give me some hope.
    Hope to get there one day.
    Nancy
  • lovesretirement
    Options
    I had a very vivid dream a few nights ago (I very seldom remember dreams) but this one I did.
    I dreamed I stepped on the scales and it was 138 3/4 lbs. I looked, looked again and that was correct.
    Was disappointed when I weighed and that was not what I saw but it did give me some hope.
    Hope to get there one day.
    Nancy

Lol Nancy!! This just proves how deeply the >:) scale mentality is ingrained in our subconscious! :D
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :) A really great book for the beginner who wants to do weight training is "Strong Women Stay Young". Besides making a case for weight training at any age or fitness level, it contains an easy way to assess your fitness level and an easy to follow program to start that doesn't require getting down on the ground and shows how to increase the challenge as your fitness increases. "New Rules of Lifting for Women" is a great book, but maybe a bit intimidating if you are a beginner.
  • rayw89
    Options
    Stephanie, I'm sure there are classes all around me, there are several gyms nearby and one within walking distance, but I'm unemployed right now so I need free. :)

Connie, Ruthie, I'll look into that book. And Barbie there's a Barnes & Noble nearby so I can poke around there for that book.

Nancy, dreams can come true! Whenever I have a good prediction-type dream, I like to think it's just that, a prediction. :)

Tami, enjoy your new classes! They sound really enjoyable.

I try to cut the AC off whenever I can get away with it here. My husband is always hot when I'm cold, and cold when I'm hot. But I try to sneak and save some on the electricity bill. I guess I don't sneak very well because if it's ever not cold enough for him in here he always suspects/accuses me of turning the air off. Haha.

I had a great workout today, and I think the espresso put an extra pep in my step. I'll definitely be doing that again tomorrow! I found out that I've been jogging a 5k every day(I didn't know 3.2 miles equaled 5 kilometers). Sooo, I'd like to do an actual 5k this Fall. :D I think Fall will be the perfect weather to run outside. My feet would sweat too much with a Summer run. Who knows, maybe by the time Fall rolls around I'll be wanting to do a 10k. B)

-Rachel
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Morning

Rain predicted later today, so we are leaving early this morning for our club cruise. About 25 boats will be
    going. It is only 2 hours to our destination.
    A severe storm predicted later in the day. No time to ready your comments this morning.

This is my weigh in day and I did lose 2.2 pounds this week.!

I will check in with my exercising.

Have a good weekend.

Shirley
  • lovesretirement
    Options
    Good morning, misfit losers! Happy Friday!

I'm just checking in with you guys before I head to the gym. It's personal training and pool today.
    Hope all is well.

Barbie...I have that book, too. Lots of good info in there for beginners.

Make it a great day, losers! Stay cool!
    Connie