How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    and im not trying to argue with you, im just being me and talking too much like im known to do.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    RHPS84 wrote: »
    yoovie, I wish there was a like option.

Also, this is my first year of going to the gym, I've never thought about this OP, LOL! Be interesting to see the crowd. At least people are trying, even if it's for a little bit..

unfortunately there is only a flag button, so that when someone writes a post personally attacking you based on nothing, MFP can hide your response where you explain that all you are doing is defending the newcomers to the fitness world so they don't get scared off.

GOOD JOB MFP! WAY TO STAY CONSISTENT! YOU DON't DISAPPOINT!

Someone is putting down newcomers, where was that...I totally missed it.

I though we were discussing, to me anyway, a fairly interesting and what seems to be a statistically backed phenomena.

I thought it was a pretty fair game question, I mean, the new year's rush is a thing...right?
    It is most certainly a thing. Last year during the rush I went to the gym at night. I now go at 5AM, and this thread taught me (based on others' experience) that I most likely won't have to deal with the rush this time. Party, bonus.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »

Also, this is my first year of going to the gym, I've never thought about this OP, LOL! Be interesting to see the crowd. At least people are trying, even if it's for a little bit..

unfortunately there is only a flag button, so that when someone writes a post personally attacking you based on nothing, MFP can hide your response where you explain that all you are doing is defending the newcomers to the fitness world so they don't get scared off.

I though we were discussing, to me anyway, a fairly interesting and what seems to be a statistically backed phenomena.

I thought it was a pretty fair game question, I mean, the new year's rush is a thing...right?
    It is most certainly a thing. Last year during the rush I went to the gym at night. I now go at 5AM, and this thread taught me (based on others' experience) that I most likely won't have to deal with the rush this time. Party, bonus.

5AM is brutal! How do you do it? I notice at least a 30% decrease in strength and stamina in the morning for me... :(
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    and im not trying to argue with you, im just being me and talking too much like im known to do.

Well, I am happy we can agree then. I am sorry you felt so attacked, At least we reached a resolution to all of this. Enjoy and good luck on the adventures ahead.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have a couple observations:

I suggest that NY Resolutioners might unintentionally sabotage their own efforts by sprinting out of the gate. At least for me, it is small incremental changes that I was able to sustain that brought about the biggest change.

A Weight Watchers representative noted that the biggest rise in new membership is now in the fall .The new goal seems to be to get trim for the mid-winter vacation. January would be too late for that.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

5AM is brutal! How do you do it? I notice at least a 30% decrease in strength and stamina in the morning for me... :(

I'm usually in by 4:30am.....if it's when you have the time you just have to suck it up and use it.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    I think it depends on the gym. I was fully expecting my gym last year to be packed after the 1st, but I didn't notice much increase in people, which was nice.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    i use 9 different gyms and vary my days and times massivly between those gyms, im always viewed as a noob despite doing this for 3 years lol

I don't believe this poster has been back to explain her 9 different gyms, not that she needs to, but I wanted to point out that I'm enrolled in a program through my health insurance for $25.00 per month and I can go to any gym in my city. It's a mid-sized town, so I can go to any of the 20+ gyms at any time. Some are way out of my way, of course, so I only frequent the handful that are close by. Also, this is a nationwide program, so if I'm traveling I just go to their website and find participating gyms in that area and can go there as well.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    People who wait until a certain calendar date to change their life generally fail from what I've seen.

I can't tell you how many times I've done that! It got to the point where it was almost a joke -- I'd include "lose weight" in my list of New Year's resolutions with the caveat that I didn't expect to actually do it. I joined gyms in January for the year and stopped going by February. I'd get on a healthy eating kick that would last a week or two at most. It was kind of ridiculous.

This time, I decided on a random Tuesday afternoon in October to start... and I started that very same Tuesday afternoon. Okay, it wasn't totally random -- it was right after Thanksgiving and a post-Thanksgiving doctor's appointment and wake-up call on the scale -- but even so. I didn't say "I'll start next week" or "I'll start tomorrow". I just started.

So, yeah, I agree with that.

(Having said that, once again, a lot of people may be travelling or out of town during the Christmas/New Year's holiday period and wait until they get home to join their local gym. They might overeat during the holidays and get home and decide to start then. Or they might get a gym membership as a Christmas gift and start using that instead of working out at home. Some people may also only use an indoor gym during the coldest months of the year because they work out indoors the rest of the year, so maybe they're just buying a 90-day membership and they look like a newbie every January. So there are lots of people who join in January who are "just doing it" and have a reasonably good chance of success.

But yes, most gyms bank on 75-80% dropout rate on the January signups... that's how they make their money and how they give you the luxury of using a half-empty facility for most of the rest of the year for a reasonable price.)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I don't knock anyone for wanting to get in shape and don't care when it happens. I answered the OPs questions, from my perspective with no editorializing on my feelings. I'm happy for anyone who wants to workout, whether they are new or not. My "problem" is with the "gym". There is such a thing as "too crowded". Any frustration I have experienced is when I'm not able to go through a normal workout. The cardio machines are full so you have to wait and sometimes for a LONG time (30-60 minutes). I have waited for machines longer than my planned cardio session. As for free weights and strength machines, there are long lines as well. In addition, some noobs aren't up on gym etiquette (some experienced ones aren't either, lol) and will not allow anyone to jump in and use a machine. Add to that the number of people dropping weights, misusing machines, leaving them sweaty/soiled... it's annoying. Sure, sometimes that happens at other times of the year (not just New Years) but not as much. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty nice home gym and I go between home and club for variety.

So, my posts were not meant deflate or ridicule anyone. Just like any other post/comments, it's my opinion of what occurs annually.

Good luck to the newbies and resolutioners. At least a small percent of them will become lifers and change their lives. Just like I'm trying to do...

Nobody should be made to feel any guilt for feeling any of those incredibly valid things

The guilt-tripping cheerleaders on this thread got, IMHO, completely the wrong end of the stick...but if it makes them feel better to project their 'aren't I the most wonderful, caring person and aren't you awful in comparison' attitude into the great, wide interweb then fine <shrugs> it takes all sorts.
    There is a difference between being "the most wonderful, caring person" and lashing out with nasty comments. Big, giant middle ground there. Vast! Those aren't the only two options, lol.

I don't think offering up some support for the newbies makes one "the most wonderful, caring person."

Your nasty, personal attacks will not stop others from making positive comments if they feel like making them.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm usually in by 4:30am.....if it's when you have the time you just have to suck it up and use it.

At 4:30am, the only thing I have time to be doing is sleeping.

I'm a night owl. Telling myself I'll get up earlier to work out is just me kidding myself or setting myself up for failure. I work out in the evenings.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Same. I go to night school and work full time.

Plus the gym is usually pretty empty at 5 AM - that is enough motivation to get myself up. I like being able to bench for an hour without anyone mean muggin me for the spot.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I don't knock anyone for wanting to get in shape and don't care when it happens. I answered the OPs questions, from my perspective with no editorializing on my feelings. I'm happy for anyone who wants to workout, whether they are new or not. My "problem" is with the "gym". There is such a thing as "too crowded". Any frustration I have experienced is when I'm not able to go through a normal workout. The cardio machines are full so you have to wait and sometimes for a LONG time (30-60 minutes). I have waited for machines longer than my planned cardio session. As for free weights and strength machines, there are long lines as well. In addition, some noobs aren't up on gym etiquette (some experienced ones aren't either, lol) and will not allow anyone to jump in and use a machine. Add to that the number of people dropping weights, misusing machines, leaving them sweaty/soiled... it's annoying. Sure, sometimes that happens at other times of the year (not just New Years) but not as much. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty nice home gym and I go between home and club for variety.

So, my posts were not meant deflate or ridicule anyone. Just like any other post/comments, it's my opinion of what occurs annually.

Good luck to the newbies and resolutioners. At least a small percent of them will become lifers and change their lives. Just like I'm trying to do...

Nobody should be made to feel any guilt for feeling any of those incredibly valid things

The guilt-tripping cheerleaders on this thread got, IMHO, completely the wrong end of the stick...but if it makes them feel better to project their 'aren't I the most wonderful, caring person and aren't you awful in comparison' attitude into the great, wide interweb then fine <shrugs> it takes all sorts.
    There is a difference between being "the most wonderful, caring person" and lashing out with nasty comments. Big, giant middle ground there. Vast! Those aren't the only two options, lol.

I don't think offering up some support for the newbies makes one "the most wonderful, caring person."

Your nasty, personal attacks will not stop others from making positive comments if they feel like making them.

LOL ...see? All sorts!
  • giaciccone
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    WAY TO WISH THE BEST FOR PEOPLE!

LOL. I think this phenomenon is set in stone at this point. I wish fitness for everyone, including myself. But I've seen gym sales people overselling memberships to people who don't even know if they enjoy it or who might feel overwhelmed by the crowds, etc. I remember I read something that said that gym regulars make up a really small percentage of the revenue that gyms make; maybe like 10% or less? Most of their money comes from those people who won't continue going. I think gyms' business models rely on this as well.

It is pretty gloomy, though!

well it's a good thing that gym sales teams have jack all to do with our fitness goals and sustaining progress!!

You know what does have an effect though?

The sheer number of people that get really excited to go on the internet and write up an editorial about how upset they are that such a huge surge of people are all trying to get healthy.

Then all those people trying to stick to it and succeed and get braver, log on to the site they just joined and see all the intermediate players raining down curses on the newbies for being on the elliptical.

Who cares how many sea turtles make it? All they do is cover the beach with their stupid lil footprints and ruin your day.

Some are dads pushing their late 40s, early 50s who want to be there for their families for a long time.

Some are mom's whose kids just finally moved the hell out and now she can finally work on herself.

Some are doing it for their health.

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

Some to get ready for a wedding or to start a family.

Some just had a baby or honeymoon.

Some are in training or coming back after an injury.

There's no need to worry. Those of us that aren't noobs are good enough at adapting and understand our programs well enough to know that A) we probably won't be on a cardio machine for an hour and a half anyway, so they can have it and B) we already fight for the squat rack anyway - nothing new except a surge of motivated, excited people, filling our gymnasiums.

May the high fives echo.

And.....

here we go.

+1- My thing is all of these people have great reasons to start... why wait until the New Year?

how do you know they are?

maybe that's just when they are starting at the gym because that's when they can afford to join without a membership sign up fee?

Maybe they've been doing cardio all along and they switch to the weight room in winter?

are those answers okay for you?

would you be happier if everyone had the same exact personality and mottos as you?

Of course Im trying to be supportive so that makes me a laughing stock.

+1 as well. I'll get out of your faces.

How do I know they put it off until New Years? hm.... having 100 new faces at the gym is a dead give away.

because not having a gym membership means you don't exercise?

what about all the runners, triathletes and obstacle course races who exercise outside all year and then come to the gym in the winter?

are they newbies?

just because you haven't witnessed their struggles?

People who get pissed about people making a positive change make me sick.

This is going to be my last response to you- because you seem to be missing my point and my lunch break is over. I welcome fitness and I will gladly help a new person in the gym. BUT what I don't understand is why people need the new year to make these changes. I understand the gym memberships for christmas and the lower sign up fee.. but people shouldn't need the change of a year to start. Stats prove that like 1 in 15 or 1 in 20 stick with it anyway.

It's probably because they encounter rude people like you who make them feel like crap the moment they walk into the gym. Just saying.

I completely agree with yoovie. It'd be nice to see a little more support for these people - especially since we've ALL been there once. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, faced with a number on the scale we just didn't like, have been there at square one. And yeah, some people need the clock to strike midnight on January 1st to make that commitment, but why is that suddenly our business?

Maybe some people DO consider New Year's Day to be a fresh slate on their life and a great place to start their own journey. Maybe they're in it for the crazy deals that gyms offer. Maybe they were waiting to start until the holidays officially came to a close. Maybe they had their annual doctor's visit on December 29th & their doctor pressed them to shed weight or face serious health issues. Maybe it's something else... But maybe that doesn't matter because it's not our business in the first place.

Please Troutsy, RGv2 & any other critics on this thread, enlighten me on how YOU'VE made & kept every single one of YOUR New Year's Resolutions in your life. You fitness elitists make me absolutely sick.
  • RGv2
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

At 4:30am, the only thing I have time to be doing is sleeping.

I'm a night owl. Telling myself I'll get up earlier to work out is just me kidding myself or setting myself up for failure. I work out in the evenings.

I have kids, so if I want to have any time with them it's work out late at night or early in the morning. I'd rather do the latter and be done with it....that allows me to coach during the week as well.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    giaciccone wrote: »

LOL. I think this phenomenon is set in stone at this point. I wish fitness for everyone, including myself. But I've seen gym sales people overselling memberships to people who don't even know if they enjoy it or who might feel overwhelmed by the crowds, etc. I remember I read something that said that gym regulars make up a really small percentage of the revenue that gyms make; maybe like 10% or less? Most of their money comes from those people who won't continue going. I think gyms' business models rely on this as well.

well it's a good thing that gym sales teams have jack all to do with our fitness goals and sustaining progress!!

The sheer number of people that get really excited to go on the internet and write up an editorial about how upset they are that such a huge surge of people are all trying to get healthy.

Then all those people trying to stick to it and succeed and get braver, log on to the site they just joined and see all the intermediate players raining down curses on the newbies for being on the elliptical.

Who cares how many sea turtles make it? All they do is cover the beach with their stupid lil footprints and ruin your day.

Some are dads pushing their late 40s, early 50s who want to be there for their families for a long time.

Some are mom's whose kids just finally moved the hell out and now she can finally work on herself.

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

There's no need to worry. Those of us that aren't noobs are good enough at adapting and understand our programs well enough to know that A) we probably won't be on a cardio machine for an hour and a half anyway, so they can have it and B) we already fight for the squat rack anyway - nothing new except a surge of motivated, excited people, filling our gymnasiums.

May the high fives echo.

And.....

here we go.

+1- My thing is all of these people have great reasons to start... why wait until the New Year?

maybe that's just when they are starting at the gym because that's when they can afford to join without a membership sign up fee?

Maybe they've been doing cardio all along and they switch to the weight room in winter?

would you be happier if everyone had the same exact personality and mottos as you?

How do I know they put it off until New Years? hm.... having 100 new faces at the gym is a dead give away.

what about all the runners, triathletes and obstacle course races who exercise outside all year and then come to the gym in the winter?

are they newbies?

This is going to be my last response to you- because you seem to be missing my point and my lunch break is over. I welcome fitness and I will gladly help a new person in the gym. BUT what I don't understand is why people need the new year to make these changes. I understand the gym memberships for christmas and the lower sign up fee.. but people shouldn't need the change of a year to start. Stats prove that like 1 in 15 or 1 in 20 stick with it anyway.

It's probably because they encounter rude people like you who make them feel like crap the moment they walk into the gym. Just saying.

I completely agree with yoovie. It'd be nice to see a little more support for these people - especially since we've ALL been there once. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, faced with a number on the scale we just didn't like, have been there at square one. And yeah, some people need the clock to strike midnight on January 1st to make that commitment, but why is that suddenly our business?

Maybe some people DO consider New Year's Day to be a fresh slate on their life and a great place to start their own journey. Maybe they're in it for the crazy deals that gyms offer. Maybe they were waiting to start until the holidays officially came to a close. Maybe they had their annual doctor's visit on December 29th & their doctor pressed them to shed weight or face serious health issues. Maybe it's something else... But maybe that doesn't matter because it's not our business in the first place.

Please Troutsy, RGv2 & any other critics on this thread, enlighten me on how YOU'VE made & kept every single one of YOUR New Year's Resolutions in your life. You fitness elitists make me absolutely sick.

Thank you for rehashing things that don't need to be rehashed. I said my peace and have dropped the topic. This has already been debated to death. Never considered myself an elitest though.. So I guess I got that going for me.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Add me to the 5am crowd!! I did notice an increase over this past year of people coming from 5-6am...but it was mid year... New years never seems to really be a problem for the 5am crowd...and that's cool with me...
    Although, I personally love to see new people at my gym...I wish more people would start and keep their commit to working out... :smile:
  • RGv2
    edited December 2014
    Options
    giaciccone wrote: »

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

May the high fives echo.

And.....

here we go.

are they newbies?

Wut?

The New Year's rush is a thing....is it not?

I've seen about a decade's worth now. The gym fills up for 3 weeks to 3 months...then it empties out.

I guess commenting on the duration of said, and from what I have seen statistically backed, occurrence makes me an elitist....and I guess some sort of critic but I absolutely have no idea what I've criticized.

Ok.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    pfft.... wish i was an elitest... Im really jealous now.