How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options

Replies

• maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    5 pages in and I am still stuck on the person with 9 gym memberships. I thought I was daft with 2.

Ive done the new years thing in the gym in the past and its petered out. This time I started over the summer and its stuck. I couldnt tell you when day 1 was. Maybe thats the reason its stuck. For me if people stick to it power to them. I prefer weights to cardio anyway so that side shouldnt be more cluttered than usual and if my more mainstream gym feels overcrowded I will go hide at my other one which isnt very well known about til it dies down. Joys of having both.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    While I don't like the "crowding" of the gym after New Year's, it's what keeps our business going. I meet new clients and get a change of scenery. It also may help that one person who really needs it.
    Does it suck for "veterans"? Sure, but only because it disrupts their routine especially since many know that the commitment rate is low and have the "why bother then" attitude when it comes to newbies.
    But we were ALL there once too. And others were saying the same thing under their breath. Just like they do when we Americans go try to drive the Autobahn, go down Lombard street, etc. There will always be a time when someone is going to be a newbie to something. Even veteran lifters/exercisers will try a new program and may get snickered at by the vets of it.
    So give them a break. Or better yet, smile and say hi or just give them a thumbs up for the attempt. You may actually get them to stay.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    1.5-2 months max. Then everyone goes back to their bon bons for 10 months and tries again a year later.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sometimes the New Years crowd actually has a ton of long term members who just happen to come in all at once. After a few years at the same gym I started to notice they weren't always brand new faces. Think of the over indulgence many of us participate in during the holidays. Someone even mentioned earlier in the thread how the place was packed just before thanksgiving - heck yes!! That totally makes sense to me. Sometimes I'll bump up my workouts just before traveling because I know I'll have a couple days without really exercising like I want. And after eating quadruple what I burn for two weeks straight at the end of the year, YEAH, I'm gonna be in the gym!
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    yoovie, I wish there was a like option.

Also, this is my first year of going to the gym, I've never thought about this OP, LOL! Be interesting to see the crowd. At least people are trying, even if it's for a little bit..
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    While I don't like the "crowding" of the gym after New Year's, it's what keeps our business going. I meet new clients and get a change of scenery. It also may help that one person who really needs it.
    Does it suck for "veterans"? Sure, but only because it disrupts their routine especially since many know that the commitment rate is low and have the "why bother then" attitude when it comes to newbies.
    But we were ALL there once too. And others were saying the same thing under their breath. Just like they do when we Americans go try to drive the Autobahn, go down Lombard street, etc. There will always be a time when someone is going to be a newbie to something. Even veteran lifters/exercisers will try a new program and may get snickered at by the vets of it.
    So give them a break. Or better yet, smile and say hi or just give them a thumbs up for the attempt. You may actually get them to stay.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

+1
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They're there to try. Scared, worried and unsure, they open the door and walk in.

Yay them.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    if this is really that important ask your gym for stats.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    They're there to try. Scared, worried and unsure, they open the door and walk in.

Yay them.

This. Okay you might have a bit more trouble getting on the piece of equipment that you like for a little while but we all had to start somewhere once and this is their time to start.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yay us!

who manage to have got into a mindset of regular exercise after years of downright laziness

who worry that any change to the current status quo may affect our ability to commit to going in the first place

who adjust our workouts to the available equipment anyway but find it more and more difficult the more crowded their gym is

who go to the gym and don't notice individual people there, unless they are a) staring or b) using equipment you want to get on. so have no concept of whether they're there for the first time of the 500th, it's just about the cumulative pressure on available equipment

if I wanted to queue interminably I'd visit Disneyland Paris :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

- it was a simple innocuous question - with lots of lovely answers of mid-February, which I will now steel myself for
    - the schmaltz-overloading cheerleader attitude from some posters is rather OTT to my English psyche
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that lots of people are giving gym memberships a go - on an individual level, one human to another, I hope they enjoy it and get something out of it.
    -
    But as I'm spoilt 45 weeks of the year in my lovely quiet gym where I can get on/use any equipment almost without ever having to wait, I find the NYR period a bit of a shock to the system! With any influx of new people you're inevitably going to get the minority who sit on the machines to chat without using them, leave their sweat everywhere, and use the changing room hairdryers to dry off intimate areas.

I'm happy to share and to work round people, but it's just a bit frustrating knowing that most of them will be gone within a month. It is just me being grumpy, which is why I don't take it out on these newbies and am happy to chat/answer questions if asked, that kind of thing.

Still happy in March when the gym is quiet again.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    When those people figure out their goal that requires a long-term commitment cannot be accomplished with a short-term plan.

4676kojtkjn6.gif
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RHPS84 wrote: »

Also, this is my first year of going to the gym, I've never thought about this OP, LOL! Be interesting to see the crowd. At least people are trying, even if it's for a little bit..

unfortunately there is only a flag button, so that when someone writes a post personally attacking you based on nothing, MFP can hide your response where you explain that all you are doing is defending the newcomers to the fitness world so they don't get scared off.

GOOD JOB MFP! WAY TO STAY CONSISTENT! YOU DON't DISAPPOINT!

• katherinemab
    katherinemab Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It usually lasts till the first week of February, I avoid the gym on the weekends until it dies down. It's great having new faces at the gym embarking on their journey and I enjoy the additional classes that are typically added during that time. I don't enjoy the surge in searching for weights as they didn't re-rack, the additional individuals not wiping down equipment, and towels all over the locker room.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't knock anyone for wanting to get in shape and don't care when it happens. I answered the OPs questions, from my perspective with no editorializing on my feelings. I'm happy for anyone who wants to workout, whether they are new or not. My "problem" is with the "gym". There is such a thing as "too crowded". Any frustration I have experienced is when I'm not able to go through a normal workout. The cardio machines are full so you have to wait and sometimes for a LONG time (30-60 minutes). I have waited for machines longer than my planned cardio session. As for free weights and strength machines, there are long lines as well. In addition, some noobs aren't up on gym etiquette (some experienced ones aren't either, lol) and will not allow anyone to jump in and use a machine. Add to that the number of people dropping weights, misusing machines, leaving them sweaty/soiled... it's annoying. Sure, sometimes that happens at other times of the year (not just New Years) but not as much. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty nice home gym and I go between home and club for variety.

So, my posts were not meant deflate or ridicule anyone. Just like any other post/comments, it's my opinion of what occurs annually.

Good luck to the newbies and resolutioners. At least a small percent of them will become lifers and change their lives. Just like I'm trying to do...
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

unfortunately there is only a flag button, so that when someone writes a post personally attacking you based on nothing, MFP can hide your response where you explain that all you are doing is defending the newcomers to the fitness world so they don't get scared off.

Seems like someone is getting a little mad. Not to mention to totally backtracked and agreed with people you argued with in previous posts. More words dont end an agruement, and I already said sorry for misinterpting the original point to person who started this thread. Oh AND I saw your little comment saying "Shove it" :P Sarcasm wont get you far in a thread with people looking to better themselves :P You start ruining your credibility
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I don't knock anyone for wanting to get in shape and don't care when it happens. I answered the OPs questions, from my perspective with no editorializing on my feelings. I'm happy for anyone who wants to workout, whether they are new or not. My "problem" is with the "gym". There is such a thing as "too crowded". Any frustration I have experienced is when I'm not able to go through a normal workout. The cardio machines are full so you have to wait and sometimes for a LONG time (30-60 minutes). I have waited for machines longer than my planned cardio session. As for free weights and strength machines, there are long lines as well. In addition, some noobs aren't up on gym etiquette (some experienced ones aren't either, lol) and will not allow anyone to jump in and use a machine. Add to that the number of people dropping weights, misusing machines, leaving them sweaty/soiled... it's annoying. Sure, sometimes that happens at other times of the year (not just New Years) but not as much. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty nice home gym and I go between home and club for variety.

So, my posts were not meant deflate or ridicule anyone. Just like any other post/comments, it's my opinion of what occurs annually.

Good luck to the newbies and resolutioners. At least a small percent of them will become lifers and change their lives. Just like I'm trying to do...

Nobody should be made to feel any guilt for feeling any of those incredibly valid things

The guilt-tripping cheerleaders on this thread got, IMHO, completely the wrong end of the stick...but if it makes them feel better to project their 'aren't I the most wonderful, caring person and aren't you awful in comparison' attitude into the great, wide interweb then fine <shrugs> it takes all sorts.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

Someone is putting down newcomers, where was that...I totally missed it.

I though we were discussing, to me anyway, a fairly interesting and what seems to be a statistically backed phenomena.

I thought it was a pretty fair game question, I mean, the new year's rush is a thing...right?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

Yay them.

This. Okay you might have a bit more trouble getting on the piece of equipment that you like for a little while but we all had to start somewhere once and this is their time to start.

I wouldn't mind them if they didn't waste my time for a few weeks then walk out the door and not com back ever.

People who wait until a certain calendar date to change their life generally fail from what I've seen.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Seems like someone is getting a little mad. Not to mention to totally backtracked and agreed with people you argued with in previous posts. More words dont end an agruement, and I already said sorry for misinterpting the original point to person who started this thread. Oh AND I saw your little comment saying "Shove it" :P Sarcasm wont get you far in a thread with people looking to better themselves :P You start ruining your credibility

You're completely 100% correct.

I deleted that comment because it was immature and unnecessary to respond in kind to someone who made public accusations about my character for no reason other than the laughs it would get.

If you wrote back and apologized to me I didn't see it.

Yes I got mad. Yes, my feelings were terribly hurt. Yes I got a bit emotional and had a few tears when I saw what you said.

If you spent as much time as me here, trying to hard to help people all the time who ignore me or flag me or throw crap in my face that I can't control - only to constantly get called a problem child, is very discouraging, you might understand.

Im a real person, and I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to help. I don't come here to stir up stuff unless it's in a way that might help someone wake up and treat themselves better, like they deserve it.

The only time of year I am more tolerant is this time, when so many people show up all at once trying to change their lives. I have social anxiety. I get nervous and perform badly when my gym is packed. But i dont want those people to give up and go home and hate themselves because they see a thread like this. I want everyone to win.

It an unpopular opinion but i stand by it, because i know what it's like to honestly, truly truly hate yourself so much that you'd run into traffic.

Im not here to cause problems.

Im here hoping individuals have personal revolutions.