How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Oh, is it that time of year again? The bash the newbies time of year that is. Yeah I hate newbies too. It'd be great if they had a whole type of gym directed specifically at newbies or people who are casually into fitness. They could call it like Fitness Planet or something similar. I bet all the hardcore people would love that a place like that existed for newbies!!!

Nope. "Hardcore people" seem to hate places called "Fitness Planet or something similar" and will mock anyone who feels more comfortable there than at "serious gyms" frequented by said hardcore people. Some hardcore people just don't like for others to work out at all.

Why do you always bring up Planet Fitness?

Because he goes there and people do not like that gym so he assumes that people do not like the fact he workouts there.

No... I USED TO go there, when I leaved closer to one. As I explained in the past, I moved away more than 3 years ago, which is unfortunate because I actually felt comfortable working out there. Ugh. Never mind.

I'd like to point out that YOU bring on the argument.
    You brought this on yourself. Again.

And if you see my post above, I have no issues at all with PF.
    Just like with every gym, you get out of it what you put in.

Great... let's agree that if one wants to workout at a gym, it doesn't matter which gym that is. I'll agree never to name a gym in future threads because that seems to create too much controversy.

It's not about the fact that you "named a gym", it's about the fact that you start some passive aggressive argument and derail the thread. Then you take it very personally when people disagree.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I always went at 5 am so would see maybe a dozen new faces in the morning but that didn't last very long but it was never busy, The evenings however were horrible crowded so that was yet another reason to stick with early mornings. I now outfitting a home gym and just go to my gym for some classes
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Beginning in March in my area. However, I just got my own gym at home so I'll be missing all this chaos :]
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Oh, is it that time of year again? The bash the newbies time of year that is. Yeah I hate newbies too. It'd be great if they had a whole type of gym directed specifically at newbies or people who are casually into fitness. They could call it like Fitness Planet or something similar. I bet all the hardcore people would love that a place like that existed for newbies!!!

Nope. "Hardcore people" seem to hate places called "Fitness Planet or something similar" and will mock anyone who feels more comfortable there than at "serious gyms" frequented by said hardcore people. Some hardcore people just don't like for others to work out at all.

Why do you always bring up Planet Fitness?

Because he goes there and people do not like that gym so he assumes that people do not like the fact he workouts there.

I hate the hate for PF.
    Yes, the marketing for it blows but when you're a runner and just need a treadmill at random, it's a great price.
    I liked the PFs I went to when I was down in CT.
    Don't care for the one here in Maine. But they're franchises and every single one of them is different so I don't care for the global hate on it.

Happy to have my PF membership this winter and my own home gym as well.

The "global hate" is brought on by themselves (pretty good marketing ploy actually) by advertising a "judgment free zone" when the whole advertising scheme is a giant ball of judgment and mockery.

Oh I know this.
    Still bothers me.

Thankfully I don't have cable so I don't see the commercials.
    Only time I watch TV is when I'm at the gym (so once a month - though more in the coming months thanks to dimly lit and icy Maine sidewalks)

So even though you hate why people don't like PF, you have an understanding as to why?

Duh.
    I have a brain. I've read the articles. Plus I've been on MFP for 3 years.

OK, just wanted to make sure you hate someone's opinion although you completely understand why they have it.

Makes for a fun back and forth.....same thing with that whole having a brain.
  • erkyperky
    Options
    This is why I workout from HOME!!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Way too long. Dreading it already. But it shouldn't last more than a few weeks. Hopefully.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    About 2 months!!!
  • ILuvCupcakesNLifting87
    Options
    I noticed last year it was about 2 months max. I hate it too but heck it's what keeps my membership price low so I won't complain. Not only that but I have no problem telling people to get off my squat rack, haha.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Great... let's agree that if one wants to workout at a gym, it doesn't matter which gym that is. I'll agree never to name a gym in future threads because that seems to create too much controversy.

by gym... do you mean a full-service gym that includes a barbell and weight section, or a mini-gym with just machines?

cause man, there are some places that have like 20 treadmills, 15 ellipticals, 5 stair masters, a Y/N thigh machine, a preacher curl machine, a tanning bed and a water fountain and im like uh-uh - that's not a real gym yo
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice one last year... We will see.
  • levitateme
    Options
    6bsht8wf79hv.jpg
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    WAY TO WISH THE BEST FOR PEOPLE!

LOL. I think this phenomenon is set in stone at this point. I wish fitness for everyone, including myself. But I've seen gym sales people overselling memberships to people who don't even know if they enjoy it or who might feel overwhelmed by the crowds, etc. I remember I read something that said that gym regulars make up a really small percentage of the revenue that gyms make; maybe like 10% or less? Most of their money comes from those people who won't continue going. I think gyms' business models rely on this as well.

It is pretty gloomy, though!

well it's a good thing that gym sales teams have jack all to do with our fitness goals and sustaining progress!!

You know what does have an effect though?

The sheer number of people that get really excited to go on the internet and write up an editorial about how upset they are that such a huge surge of people are all trying to get healthy.

Then all those people trying to stick to it and succeed and get braver, log on to the site they just joined and see all the intermediate players raining down curses on the newbies for being on the elliptical.

Who cares how many sea turtles make it? All they do is cover the beach with their stupid lil footprints and ruin your day.

Some are dads pushing their late 40s, early 50s who want to be there for their families for a long time.

Some are mom's whose kids just finally moved the hell out and now she can finally work on herself.

Some are doing it for their health.

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

Some to get ready for a wedding or to start a family.

Some just had a baby or honeymoon.

Some are in training or coming back after an injury.

There's no need to worry. Those of us that aren't noobs are good enough at adapting and understand our programs well enough to know that A) we probably won't be on a cardio machine for an hour and a half anyway, so they can have it and B) we already fight for the squat rack anyway - nothing new except a surge of motivated, excited people, filling our gymnasiums.

May the high fives echo.

And.....

here we go.

+1- My thing is all of these people have great reasons to start... why wait until the New Year?

how do you know they are?

maybe that's just when they are starting at the gym because that's when they can afford to join without a membership sign up fee?

Maybe they've been doing cardio all along and they switch to the weight room in winter?

are those answers okay for you?

would you be happier if everyone had the same exact personality and mottos as you?

Of course Im trying to be supportive so that makes me a laughing stock.

+1 as well. I'll get out of your faces.

Seeing as you have 16k posts, I see you know EVERYTHING you need to know about the ebb and flow of men and women.

Jk, But I DO think you are on these forums just to stir up *kitten*. One thing I haven't seen in any of your replies is that you agree with the simple fact, that people procrastinate there *kitten* off. I started the day after Thanksgiving because I was sick an tired of going to sleep feeling like crap. I wouldn't get more than 6 hours of sleep because of discomfort, and I had zero energy throughout the day. Take it from a fat guy that being unhealthy SUCKS BALLS.

Dont talk about "a life changing day" being January 1st, or defend the people who want to WAIT to get better. Encourage the people to do it NOW. Because the people who arent doing it today, could very well have a heart attack between now and December 31st.

You either are defending a side that doesnt need to be defended, or you are baiting this discussion with sheer stupid logic. I may be a noob but I choose 2 weeks ago that I want my life to be better and I have lost 5 pounds since then. So shove it.

so you're better than the people that start on january 2nd, because you started the day after thanksgiving??

and speaking about defending someone that doesn't need defending, you're the one who's first trip into the forums is to defend his girlfriend.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Never stated I was better, but wouldnt you agree starting today is better than starting tomorrow? I thought that was taught in school when you had to do your homework... My girlfriend doesnt need defending, I came across the article by myself. Im a lurker, not a poster.
  • levitateme
    Options
    Never stated I was better, but wouldnt you agree starting today is better than starting tomorrow? I thought that was taught in school when you had to do your homework... My girlfriend doesnt need defending, I came across the article by myself. Im a lurker, not a poster.

I don't think anyone is better than anyone. I just don't want to have to wait for the squat rack. That's what this thread's about. Not about yoovie offending your GF. Which one is she by the way?

• NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My gym is a university gym located on campus. I go as early as possible (~6:30 am by the time I get there) and so only see a 2-3 dozen NY Resolution-ers. The only reason I tend to dread that time of year is that it creates more competition for treadmills and squat racks.

It usually only lasts a month.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The exchanges that were going on and the procrastination is what hit home to me and made me speak up. I am not defending my girlfriend. I worded the above paragraph wrong because of the heat of moment and used improper wording which has since been fixed.

That being said, I understand the waiting part, and I am sorry for adding to chaos in your thread.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Generally 45 days.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    New Years resolutions usually last about a month. It's really funny (but crowed) to see the surge happen and then go away.

Only about 3 out of 10 people who start a new program continue it, and the 7 who don't are probably the ones who need it most.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The part that aggravates me is why people feel the need to do this at the first of the year. Wanting to lose weight or improve upon yourself is a great thing to do... but why do you need an excuse to start? If you're thinking about it now, why wait til the new year? I always believe, why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?

I finally found an adequate gym in November last year, but then I had a medical issue which I didn't get resolved until...you guessed it: January! I could see the looks on the faces of the regulars in my first weeks that they saw me as "one of those New Years members". I don't think it was til about mid-February that I started to see them look a little differently at me. Now of course I can tell that they have accepted me as one of them. B)

Lol I'll be part of that crowd this year too unfortunately because

1) I switched gym locations (same chain, different location) because I found a different location with a basketball court and a cleaner layout.

2) I just started going into the weights section last week anyway because I was only using the gym to do swimming and my days using weighs were done at my apartment gym. So I was a regular at the pool but never once stepped into the actually exercise equipment area outside of one random cardio session.

I'm glad I at least have a couple of weeks to show my face before January 1 lol.

I was also planning on joining a smaller gym and take advantage of the promotional specials for the new years crowd. But I guess if I show up looking relatively competent I won't get the "new years glares" from the regulars because it's a VERY small specialized gym. So I guess i'll get the pleasure of the news years glares from both gyms since I don't plan on leaving the one with a pool.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I currently don't belong to a gym because I work really strange hours, so finding a gym that fits me schedule has been difficult. Instead I have been trying to stick with the c25k program on my phone, and combined with calorie restriction have lost 30+ lbs. About 6 months ago a new gym (I want to say LA fitness) opened up about a 10 minute drive from where I live and 15 minutes from work. A friend of mine really wants a workout buddy and has been begging me to go with her. I've used a few guest passes and really like it. I told myself however, that I didn't want to call back into the "get over zealous, fall off wagon, wasting money on gym I don't go to pattern" again. So I made myself a promise that when I hit 40 lbs lost, I would reconsider and most likely treat myself to a gym membership (its cooooooooold outside lol). Unfortunately, it looks like that 40 lb mark will be met right around jan 1st. Don't get me wrong, I will be thrilled to have lost that much already, but I don't want to get lumped into that "new years rush" crowd. It took a lot for me to just start the c25k knowing people might see me run, so starting a gym when there is a large amount of people joining, might be a bit much for me.

As for planet fitness: I think that if people feel that is the environment for them, that's great! It can be hard to find a gym you feel comfortable in. I personally won't use it because of their free pizza and bagel deals. Nothing against those food but I am severely (deadly) allergic to wheat. Working out in a gym where people may have been touching those foods and then touching workout equipment would not end well for me. On a lighter note- I work in EMS. We call upon the FD to help us when we need lift assists. The biggest running joke when referring to them (because of the limited medical knowledge they tend to have) it we quote "I pick things up and put them down". Yes they know this, and laugh along with us lol.