How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    WAY TO WISH THE BEST FOR PEOPLE!

LOL. I think this phenomenon is set in stone at this point. I wish fitness for everyone, including myself. But I've seen gym sales people overselling memberships to people who don't even know if they enjoy it or who might feel overwhelmed by the crowds, etc. I remember I read something that said that gym regulars make up a really small percentage of the revenue that gyms make; maybe like 10% or less? Most of their money comes from those people who won't continue going. I think gyms' business models rely on this as well.

It is pretty gloomy, though!

well it's a good thing that gym sales teams have jack all to do with our fitness goals and sustaining progress!!

You know what does have an effect though?

The sheer number of people that get really excited to go on the internet and write up an editorial about how upset they are that such a huge surge of people are all trying to get healthy.

Then all those people trying to stick to it and succeed and get braver, log on to the site they just joined and see all the intermediate players raining down curses on the newbies for being on the elliptical.

Who cares how many sea turtles make it? All they do is cover the beach with their stupid lil footprints and ruin your day.

Some are dads pushing their late 40s, early 50s who want to be there for their families for a long time.

Some are mom's whose kids just finally moved the hell out and now she can finally work on herself.

Some are doing it for their health.

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

Some to get ready for a wedding or to start a family.

Some just had a baby or honeymoon.

Some are in training or coming back after an injury.

There's no need to worry. Those of us that aren't noobs are good enough at adapting and understand our programs well enough to know that A) we probably won't be on a cardio machine for an hour and a half anyway, so they can have it and B) we already fight for the squat rack anyway - nothing new except a surge of motivated, excited people, filling our gymnasiums.

May the high fives echo.

You're missing the point

I hate other people. Particularly when they are getting in my way

I would like them to go away, and when they get there go away some more

*misanthropic curmudgeon*

:grinning:

(Awaits SOH failure of wide swathes of MFP users, or just the regular couple)

Same. I overcame a lot of social anxiety to be where I'm at physically. The idea of there being double the bodies smooshed into my general area for 2 months makes me need a xanny just thinking about it ;)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Oh, is it that time of year again? The bash the newbies time of year that is. Yeah I hate newbies too. It'd be great if they had a whole type of gym directed specifically at newbies or people who are casually into fitness. They could call it like Fitness Planet or something similar. I bet all the hardcore people would love that a place like that existed for newbies!!!

Nope. "Hardcore people" seem to hate places called "Fitness Planet or something similar" and will mock anyone who feels more comfortable there than at "serious gyms" frequented by said hardcore people. Some hardcore people just don't like for others to work out at all.
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I spread myself out between three different gyms, one of them is almost ALWAYS busy year round, so I only go there to take classes. The others aren't as bad, granted I try to limit my trip to the gym to after 9pm or 10pm if I can, as I can't stand to be there during peak periods and I am fortunate enough to work odd hours (it's positive in this respect at least) so I rarely deal with the rush. When I do opt to go during peak periods I've noticed that the New Years rush tends to last until mid-late february.
    I was just at the gym on Saturday and I didn't have a problem finding a parking spot. I know come January that won't be the case at all.

More power to them though. I have fallen off the wagon when it comes to going to the gym many a time. So kudos to those who are trying to get things right with their health and fitness. I'm not going to lie, I am not a fan of how busy it gets, but it is encouraging to see people of all shapes and sizes pushing themselves to do better.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oh, is it that time of year again? The bash the newbies time of year that is. Yeah I hate newbies too. It'd be great if they had a whole type of gym directed specifically at newbies or people who are casually into fitness. They could call it like Fitness Planet or something similar. I bet all the hardcore people would love that a place like that existed for newbies!!!

Nope. "Hardcore people" seem to hate places called "Fitness Planet or something similar" and will mock anyone who feels more comfortable there than at "serious gyms" frequented by said hardcore people. Some hardcore people just don't like for others to work out at all.

iGvzWJmrmyN9q.jpg

+2 for the passive aggressive shots though.

What is so taboo about discussing the New Year's rush? It does exist....are we just ignoring it? SQ.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

What exactly is a hardcore person?

Someone who squats in the squat rack?

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think there is a natural inclination for those who know what they are doing to look down on the noobs in any area...I'm guilty of it, too. Especially when they are in mah way! But we were all noobs once upon a time!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Someone who hates "Fitness Planet or something similar"?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    My main gym I go to is always packed on Mondays and Tuesdays as it is. I avoid Mondays but have no choice on Tuesdays, I just deal with it. Fridays and Sundays I go at 1pm so the crowd is small as it is. The other gym I go to is small and it get packed in January and dwindles down in February. I love when I see the few people that actually stick it out past that. I'm always one to compliment people when they are either showing up, making progress, making great progress, whatever. I truly do enjoy seeing people give it a great effort.

I was walking out of the gym last week and this very nice gentlemen walked in and I saw a big difference but I didn't say anything at first. I said "have a great workout". He stopped and unzipped his hoodie and said "Notice any difference?". I was very happy for him and I said "Yup, looks like you lost at least 60-70 lbs, incredible job". He told me it was 75. Motivated people are great for the environment.

This is very good thinking. I appreciate the positive input to this thread as I was originally negative myself.
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    At my gym it lasts until about mid-February. By March it's slowed back down.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Why do you always bring up Planet Fitness?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »

Why do you always bring up Planet Fitness?

Because he goes there and people do not like that gym so he assumes that people do not like the fact he workouts there.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i use 9 different gyms and vary my days and times massivly between those gyms, im always viewed as a noob despite doing this for 3 years lol
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    i use 9 different gyms and vary my days and times massivly between those gyms, im always viewed as a noob despite doing this for 3 years lol

9 gyms? What?

I thought I was nuts for 3 memberships (one was a free gym at work)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

"Hardcore person" term taken from BFDeal's quote. Specifically, though, I've been mocked in other threads on the MFP forums for saying that I felt more comfortable working out at Planet Fitness... there are some who don't see it as a legitimate gym and that members are, by extension, not legitimately interested in improving their fitness. I had only brought it up as an example of a point I was making in response to another user who didn't feel comfortable... I explained that I didn't feel comfortable in 2 other gyms before finding Planet Fitness, where I didn't feel out of place. This personal example was to illustrate my point that the user, who struggled with anxiety (as do I) and felt uncomfortable going to a gym, may need to try other establishments until not feeling out of place. I was not suggesting a particular gym, just included the name of the establishment in my example. It turns out, the consensus on MFP is that Planet Fitness is for those who are not serious. If I had known that at the time, I would have made my point and example without the name of the gym because then someone might have accepted the original point.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I go pretty early in the AM (4:30or 5:00) so it's never too crowded except for in the pool. I like to swim a couple of days a week after strength training and with only a 3 lane pool it can get pretty crowded even that early. Usually by mid February it's back to normal though.