How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It's about 6 weeks. What most regulars don't realize is that while new membership increases, lots of current members who are still locked into a 2 year contract, come in for the resolution.
    I believe the stats are 1 in 15 resolutioners end up staying the course.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 2am and I am hoping I don't have to deal with this. I go at 2am so I don't have to wait around as it is. lol.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    About a month, in my experience but it starts trailing off after two weeks or so. Luckily, I have outfitted my home gym quite nicely so I won't be going to the gym after New Years, except for a few classes.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    WAY TO WISH THE BEST FOR PEOPLE!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

Oh shush Pollyanna ....:wink:
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

LOL. I think this phenomenon is set in stone at this point. I wish fitness for everyone, including myself. But I've seen gym sales people overselling memberships to people who don't even know if they enjoy it or who might feel overwhelmed by the crowds, etc. I remember I read something that said that gym regulars make up a really small percentage of the revenue that gyms make; maybe like 10% or less? Most of their money comes from those people who won't continue going. I think gyms' business models rely on this as well.

It is pretty gloomy, though!
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    The part that aggravates me is why people feel the need to do this at the first of the year. Wanting to lose weight or improve upon yourself is a great thing to do... but why do you need an excuse to start? If you're thinking about it now, why wait til the new year? I always believe, why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    The part that aggravates me is why people feel the need to do this at the first of the year. Wanting to lose weight or improve upon yourself is a great thing to do... but why do you need an excuse to start? If you're thinking about it now, why wait til the new year? I always believe, why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?

+1 for me as well. I wish the best and fitness for everyone, but wait until the new year?
  • gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My gym was packed the Monday after Thanksgiving. By Tuesday it was empty again.
    The first few weeks of the year are always busy, but it fades out quickly.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, for most gyms, this *is* their revenue model. Signing up annual members and assuming that 70-80% of them will drop off after the first month or two is how gyms survive. If everyone who signed up used the facilities daily, gyms would have to restrict membership a lot more and they'd go bankrupt.

So, good for the gyms, not so good for the members.

Anyway, devil's advocate here: I tend to use indoor gym facilities most heavily in the winter, not because I'm lazy the rest of the year, but for weather-related reasons. December to March, when the weather is cold and snowy and miserable, I tend to work out indoors (with the exception of skiing). April to November, I switch a lot of that over to outdoor activity.

So yeah, some people lose their motivation and just quit. But others are taking advantage of the gym in January 'cause it's bloody cold outside in January!
  • yoovie
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

LOL. I think this phenomenon is set in stone at this point. I wish fitness for everyone, including myself. But I've seen gym sales people overselling memberships to people who don't even know if they enjoy it or who might feel overwhelmed by the crowds, etc. I remember I read something that said that gym regulars make up a really small percentage of the revenue that gyms make; maybe like 10% or less? Most of their money comes from those people who won't continue going. I think gyms' business models rely on this as well.

well it's a good thing that gym sales teams have jack all to do with our fitness goals and sustaining progress!!

You know what does have an effect though?

The sheer number of people that get really excited to go on the internet and write up an editorial about how upset they are that such a huge surge of people are all trying to get healthy.

Then all those people trying to stick to it and succeed and get braver, log on to the site they just joined and see all the intermediate players raining down curses on the newbies for being on the elliptical.

Who cares how many sea turtles make it? All they do is cover the beach with their stupid lil footprints and ruin your day.

Some are dads pushing their late 40s, early 50s who want to be there for their families for a long time.

Some are mom's whose kids just finally moved the hell out and now she can finally work on herself.

Some are doing it for their health.

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

Some to get ready for a wedding or to start a family.

Some just had a baby or honeymoon.

Some are in training or coming back after an injury.

There's no need to worry. Those of us that aren't noobs are good enough at adapting and understand our programs well enough to know that A) we probably won't be on a cardio machine for an hour and a half anyway, so they can have it and B) we already fight for the squat rack anyway - nothing new except a surge of motivated, excited people, filling our gymnasiums.

May the high fives echo.

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    my gym was packed until well into march, last year. --"
  • yoovie
    Options

sometimes people like to put a big change on a monumental date. the day their life shifted.

it happens on the first of every month and for smaller goals, every monday.

it just doesn't get as much crap as the people who start on new years day, because it isn't as fun to ridicule people for starting major life changes on the first of any month, just January.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Too long is the answer to that question.

Realistically I notice it goes back to normal by Valentine's Day.

This has been my experience as well. I'm glad that so many people make an attempt to become healthy for the new year, but it does get annoying having that many new people at the gym all at once. I always look forward to mid-Feb. when things get back to normal.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

well it's a good thing that gym sales teams have jack all to do with our fitness goals and sustaining progress!!

The sheer number of people that get really excited to go on the internet and write up an editorial about how upset they are that such a huge surge of people are all trying to get healthy.

Then all those people trying to stick to it and succeed and get braver, log on to the site they just joined and see all the intermediate players raining down curses on the newbies for being on the elliptical.

Who cares how many sea turtles make it? All they do is cover the beach with their stupid lil footprints and ruin your day.

Some are dads pushing their late 40s, early 50s who want to be there for their families for a long time.

Some are mom's whose kids just finally moved the hell out and now she can finally work on herself.

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

There's no need to worry. Those of us that aren't noobs are good enough at adapting and understand our programs well enough to know that A) we probably won't be on a cardio machine for an hour and a half anyway, so they can have it and B) we already fight for the squat rack anyway - nothing new except a surge of motivated, excited people, filling our gymnasiums.

May the high fives echo.

And.....

here we go.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

May the high fives echo.

And.....

here we go.

+1- My thing is all of these people have great reasons to start... why wait until the New Year?

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

I finally found an adequate gym in November last year, but then I had a medical issue which I didn't get resolved until...you guessed it: January! I could see the looks on the faces of the regulars in my first weeks that they saw me as "one of those New Years members". I don't think it was til about mid-February that I started to see them look a little differently at me. Now of course I can tell that they have accepted me as one of them. B)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

May the high fives echo.

You're missing the point

I hate other people. Particularly when they are getting in my way

I would like them to go away, and when they get there go away some more

*misanthropic curmudgeon*

:grinning:

(Awaits SOH failure of wide swathes of MFP users, or just the regular couple)
  • yoovie
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

May the high fives echo.

And.....

here we go.

+1- My thing is all of these people have great reasons to start... why wait until the New Year?

how do you know they are?

maybe that's just when they are starting at the gym because that's when they can afford to join without a membership sign up fee?

Maybe they've been doing cardio all along and they switch to the weight room in winter?

are those answers okay for you?

would you be happier if everyone had the same exact personality and mottos as you?

Of course Im trying to be supportive so that makes me a laughing stock.

+1 as well. I'll get out of your faces.