How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    1 in 15.

Wow, so for people in the cheap seats, the stat from our very own ninerbuff is that 6.7% of the resolutioners stay the course.

That's significant, even at +-10%.

I'm hoping for an extreme winter, so it will drop normal gym attendance very low, and I can bench in the power cage all the time.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    giaciccone wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    WAY TO WISH THE BEST FOR PEOPLE!

LOL. I think this phenomenon is set in stone at this point. I wish fitness for everyone, including myself. But I've seen gym sales people overselling memberships to people who don't even know if they enjoy it or who might feel overwhelmed by the crowds, etc. I remember I read something that said that gym regulars make up a really small percentage of the revenue that gyms make; maybe like 10% or less? Most of their money comes from those people who won't continue going. I think gyms' business models rely on this as well.

It is pretty gloomy, though!

well it's a good thing that gym sales teams have jack all to do with our fitness goals and sustaining progress!!

You know what does have an effect though?

The sheer number of people that get really excited to go on the internet and write up an editorial about how upset they are that such a huge surge of people are all trying to get healthy.

Then all those people trying to stick to it and succeed and get braver, log on to the site they just joined and see all the intermediate players raining down curses on the newbies for being on the elliptical.

Who cares how many sea turtles make it? All they do is cover the beach with their stupid lil footprints and ruin your day.

Some are dads pushing their late 40s, early 50s who want to be there for their families for a long time.

Some are mom's whose kids just finally moved the hell out and now she can finally work on herself.

Some are doing it for their health.

Some to lose weight.

Some to get hot.

Some to get ready for a wedding or to start a family.

Some just had a baby or honeymoon.

Some are in training or coming back after an injury.

There's no need to worry. Those of us that aren't noobs are good enough at adapting and understand our programs well enough to know that A) we probably won't be on a cardio machine for an hour and a half anyway, so they can have it and B) we already fight for the squat rack anyway - nothing new except a surge of motivated, excited people, filling our gymnasiums.

May the high fives echo.

And.....

here we go.

+1- My thing is all of these people have great reasons to start... why wait until the New Year?

how do you know they are?

maybe that's just when they are starting at the gym because that's when they can afford to join without a membership sign up fee?

Maybe they've been doing cardio all along and they switch to the weight room in winter?

are those answers okay for you?

would you be happier if everyone had the same exact personality and mottos as you?

Of course Im trying to be supportive so that makes me a laughing stock.

+1 as well. I'll get out of your faces.

How do I know they put it off until New Years? hm.... having 100 new faces at the gym is a dead give away.

because not having a gym membership means you don't exercise?

what about all the runners, triathletes and obstacle course races who exercise outside all year and then come to the gym in the winter?

are they newbies?

just because you haven't witnessed their struggles?

People who get pissed about people making a positive change make me sick.

This is going to be my last response to you- because you seem to be missing my point and my lunch break is over. I welcome fitness and I will gladly help a new person in the gym. BUT what I don't understand is why people need the new year to make these changes. I understand the gym memberships for christmas and the lower sign up fee.. but people shouldn't need the change of a year to start. Stats prove that like 1 in 15 or 1 in 20 stick with it anyway.

It's probably because they encounter rude people like you who make them feel like crap the moment they walk into the gym. Just saying.

I completely agree with yoovie. It'd be nice to see a little more support for these people - especially since we've ALL been there once. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US, faced with a number on the scale we just didn't like, have been there at square one. And yeah, some people need the clock to strike midnight on January 1st to make that commitment, but why is that suddenly our business?

Maybe some people DO consider New Year's Day to be a fresh slate on their life and a great place to start their own journey. Maybe they're in it for the crazy deals that gyms offer. Maybe they were waiting to start until the holidays officially came to a close. Maybe they had their annual doctor's visit on December 29th & their doctor pressed them to shed weight or face serious health issues. Maybe it's something else... But maybe that doesn't matter because it's not our business in the first place.

Please Troutsy, RGv2 & any other critics on this thread, enlighten me on how YOU'VE made & kept every single one of YOUR New Year's Resolutions in your life. You fitness elitists make me absolutely sick.

Wut?

The New Year's rush is a thing....is it not?

I've seen about a decade's worth now. The gym fills up for 3 weeks to 3 months...then it empties out.

I guess commenting on the duration of said, and from what I have seen statistically backed, occurrence makes me an elitist....and I guess some sort of critic but I absolutely have no idea what I've criticized.

Ok.

It's okay- we can be elitests together
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wut?

I've seen about a decade's worth now. The gym fills up for 3 weeks to 3 months...then it empties out.

I guess commenting on the duration of said, and from what I have seen statistically backed, occurrence makes me an elitist....and I guess some sort of critic but I absolutely have no idea what I've criticized.

Ok.

I have no issue with anything you said at any point in this thread or any other, including any time you have insulted me or pointed out something I was wrong about.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The part that aggravates me is why people feel the need to do this at the first of the year. Wanting to lose weight or improve upon yourself is a great thing to do... but why do you need an excuse to start? If you're thinking about it now, why wait til the new year? I always believe, why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?

Halloween. Then Thanksgiving. Then the Christmas/Kwanzaa/Hanukah/Noel/Holiday Season. All the while it (depending upon where you live) gets cold, so people get less active. Then people look in the mirror and realize they've put on some pounds. So they start at the beginning of the next month, which happens to coincide with the New Year.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5 in the morning, so there are realistically very few new joiners who are there at that time. I don't do it to avoid them, I do it because I'm not a morning person so avoiding all people at that time is ideal for me AND I want free-er range of the equipment without feeling like I'm interfering with others work outs.

I applaud those people who join a gym AND stick to it. Honestly, I joined in like March or April the firs time, didn't stick to it and then in October 2012 I joined and have been there ever since. I think a lot of people make new years goals/resolutions and they go head strong without a lot of real knowledge as to what it takes. You don't need a new year, or even a new month to make the change and when you realize that and really want it for yourself, then change will happen.

Bottom line - to answer the OP's question in the morning there's usually only 10 or 20 new people at that time of day, and it's usually only until end of January at the latest. It's not for everyone to get up at 4:30 in the morning in all honesty. It doesn't bother me too much. The odd time I do go after work instead, I notice it is busier until mid-February and then dies off very quickly. If you go in mid-July there's almost no one there at any time of the day.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Wut?

Ok.

I have no issue with anything you said at any point in this thread or any other, including any time you have insulted me or pointed out something I was wrong about.

I insulted you?....SQ
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    FMFL
  • D_T_H
    D_T_H Posts: 39 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not sure its going to be my first time going through it my trainer says it will be busy for couple months I for one wont be hoping they go away but try to encourage them to keep going long term and maybe make a few workout partners
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Too long is the answer to that question.

Realistically I notice it goes back to normal by Valentine's Day.
    agree, and by Easter it's dead.

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The part that aggravates me is why people feel the need to do this at the first of the year.
    It's not need.Every gym in New York runs a New Years Sale.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Wut?

Ok.

I insulted you?....SQ
    With the amount of insults you toss around, it's not unlikely.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Wut?

Ok.

I insulted you?....SQ

What are you talking about? SQ.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Wut?

Ok.

I insulted you?....SQ

:lol:
  • RGv2
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Wut?

Ok.

I insulted you?....SQ

No offense.

?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Wut?

Ok.

I insulted you?....SQ

Dude, you just got insulted.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »
    rk04tguqsdxr.gif

tumblr_mqhmm3F7FA1s8scfko1_500.gif

;) - I had to
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    while working out yesterday I noticed it was pretty slammed out for that time frame and then I noticed that people were getting in my way and seemed clueless, which made me think "what the hell is going on here" and then I realized it was December, and the people who never go, now want to go, because...holidays and new years..

but to answer the question it lasts about 8 -12 weeks...usually peters out mid February..