carbs are my enemy

Options

Replies

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Just another "delusional" MD who counters the all calories are the same theory. Obviously, he must be a quack, a liar, or just trying to sell something. And he has the nerve to say that a calories from a Big Gulp and broccoli are not the same. Imagine that?

http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

It's good to know we can count on members like you to constantly return with claims they can't back up and posting links they've never read. Welcome back.

I see you still have no clue about nutrition.

You can't back up your claim either. Most people who try to count calories fail miserably. Why? Because just like most people can't survive a vegan diet, most people cannot count calories. It is tedious, time consuming, and a real drag. I'm happy that you and others here can do it. But most can't, and I would never recommend it. Why do you think Weight Watchers came up with the point system?

So if you can't count calories, do the next best thing. Keep the bags of cookies and pretzels and donuts and junk out of your house. If you want a sweet treat, go out and buy it. And don't waste your calories on orange juice and Coke.

I know there are people on this site who can have their 2.5 cookies, 11 nacho chips, 6.75 pretzels and 4.25 oz. of Coke tonight and stay within their limit, but most don't have that type of discipline.

is this serious? people cant count calories? im pretty sure its that some people WONT count calories..not that theyre not capable of doing so.

if they can do something else and lose weight..awesome.

if theyre saying they cant lose weight because its too much of a drag to keep track of what theyre eating..its an excuse. a pretty bad one, in my opinion.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Sounds this current discussion is at least 6 on 1…

lol, sounds about normal.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Counting calories used to be tedious until MFP came along and did it for me.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Just another "delusional" MD who counters the all calories are the same theory. Obviously, he must be a quack, a liar, or just trying to sell something. And he has the nerve to say that a calories from a Big Gulp and broccoli are not the same. Imagine that?

As a unit of measure, there is no difference. A calorie is much like inch. Units of measure. An inch is an inch is an inch. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

However, just as some inches are much more beneficial than others, so are some calories.

The benefits derived from some inches or calories might be more desirable than others.

Is that what you're saying?

Some people believe that some calories are healthier than others, some sugars are healthier than others and some diets are healthier than others. Some don't! But some do. Is this what you're saying?

Or are you saying that calories from one thing are different units of measure than calories in another thing?

i would be curious as to how one inch is more beneficial than another…

are you telling me six inches of timber is better than six inches of concrete?????

• LeenaGee
    edited December 2014
    Options
    "i would be curious as to how one inch is more beneficial than another…"

Well ndj1979, I am certainly not going to comment on that!!! o:)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

As a unit of measure, there is no difference. A calorie is much like inch. Units of measure. An inch is an inch is an inch. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

However, just as some inches are much more beneficial than others, so are some calories.

The benefits derived from some inches or calories might be more desirable than others.

Some people believe that some calories are healthier than others, some sugars are healthier than others and some diets are healthier than others. Some don't! But some do. Is this what you're saying?

Or are you saying that calories from one thing are different units of measure than calories in another thing?

are you telling me six inches of timber is better than six inches of concrete?????

Um, er... trying really hard to keep it clean here.

• ndj1979
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    "i would be curious as to how one inch is more beneficial than another…"

Well ndj1979, I am certainly not going to comment on that!!! o:)

I should of qualified that with excluding the sexual realm ….but then again that is a matter of personal preference….
  • ndj1979
    Options

Um, er... trying really hard to keep it clean here.

you know…I freaking knew this would happen …

ya'll are perverted….sigh ...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

It's good to know we can count on members like you to constantly return with claims they can't back up and posting links they've never read. Welcome back.

You can't back up your claim either. Most people who try to count calories fail miserably. Why? Because just like most people can't survive a vegan diet, most people cannot count calories. It is tedious, time consuming, and a real drag. I'm happy that you and others here can do it. But most can't, and I would never recommend it. Why do you think Weight Watchers came up with the point system?

So if you can't count calories, do the next best thing. Keep the bags of cookies and pretzels and donuts and junk out of your house. If you want a sweet treat, go out and buy it. And don't waste your calories on orange juice and Coke.

I know there are people on this site who can have their 2.5 cookies, 11 nacho chips, 6.75 pretzels and 4.25 oz. of Coke tonight and stay within their limit, but most don't have that type of discipline.

MFP makes counting calories a breeze. It's hardly tedious and barely takes any time.

I grew up in a household that had really skewed ideas of portion size and left it to live in a society that only reinforced those ideas. I'm glad to be finally learning what proper portions should look like.

As for "most"... who appointed you their spokesperson? I wish I knew ages ago about this site and how easy it could all be. The fact of the matter is that losing weight takes an amount of dedication. Anyone who is not willing to work at it has no chance of success. Your argument that a hypothetical someone lacks discipline to count calories doesn't speak well to that someone's chances for long-term success if they can't even take 3 minutes out of their day to plug some data into their smart phone.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Got to love the flaggers, got nothing better do.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    I only flag spam so it wasn't me, but you were a naughty girl. You called someone lazy. tut tut :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I wasn't telling you anything. I was addressing someone else. Stop trying to pick fights.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Um yes, Dr. Hyman has been a well known quack for quite sometime.

That's an unfortunate name.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Um yes, Dr. Hyman has been a well known quack for quite sometime.

That's an unfortunate name.

I LOVE your glasses. They look great on you.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Sounds this current discussion is at least 6 on 1…

You can join her if you'd like.
    Nah, I don't think so. :)

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    unless you have some kind of medical condition then it is not carbs that is hampering your weight loss, it is over eating.

Do you own a food scale?
    do you weigh/log/measure everything?

You can eat carbs, be in a deficit, and lose weight; consequently, you can not eat carbs, eat in a surplus, and gain weight.....

She mentioned suspected insulin resistance. I don't know what suspected means, though. However..if it is insulin resistance then lowering carb intake would be a good idea.

was that confirmed by a doctor?

unless of course OP has self diagnosed herself ....

I have no idea. Just saying it was mentioned and if it is the case, carb restriction could be beneficial.
    if it is a medical condition then yes, cut carbs...

if OP has self diagnosed herself, then I would suggest seeing an actual doctor, and not playing one at home...

This is not actually great advice, since I AM a diagnosed Celiac but yet I knew MORE about my condition than the GI did!! So that does not fly in all cases
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

You can't back up your claim either. Most people who try to count calories fail miserably.

I been logging for almost 3 years, January 28th, lost 121 pounds counting calories. ;)

Sounds like you are just lazy and making excuses why can't do this.
    That's not nice.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

That's what she said.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    unless you have some kind of medical condition then it is not carbs that is hampering your weight loss, it is over eating.

Do you own a food scale?
    do you weigh/log/measure everything?

You can eat carbs, be in a deficit, and lose weight; consequently, you can not eat carbs, eat in a surplus, and gain weight.....

She mentioned suspected insulin resistance. I don't know what suspected means, though. However..if it is insulin resistance then lowering carb intake would be a good idea.

was that confirmed by a doctor?

unless of course OP has self diagnosed herself ....

I have no idea. Just saying it was mentioned and if it is the case, carb restriction could be beneficial.
    if it is a medical condition then yes, cut carbs...

if OP has self diagnosed herself, then I would suggest seeing an actual doctor, and not playing one at home...

This is not actually great advice, since I AM a diagnosed Celiac but yet I knew MORE about my condition than the GI did!! So that does not fly in all cases

You still needed your GI to diagnose you with Celiac. Self-diagnosing is quite different than knowing more about your condition than your doctor does. Of course you do, you are the one who lives with it every day.
This discussion has been closed.