Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ketorach wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You find an amount of calories that allows you to lose at that number and you stick with that number. You might think you're eating 1175 when you're really eating 1503, but it doesn't matter.

You're sticking to a calorie goal and losing. You'd be eating the same amount of food as you would've if you'd set the calorie goal to 1503 and weighed every bite of food.

There are many paths to weight loss, but those two methods of using calories are very similar.
    Wut?
    It's the same process you use for weighing, only you don't weigh the food.

Diet A, Weighing:
    You pick a number of calories that you think will help you lose, say 1503.
    You weigh and measure every bite of food and average 1503 a day, per your estimate.
    If you lose weight, that 1503 is working for you.
    If you don't lose weight, you have to drop the calories down in increments until you do. Say, 1403 works.
    You continue logging, weighing and measuring all your food, keeping it to 1403 and you keep losing.

Diet B, Not Weighing:
    You pick a number of calories that you think will help you lose, say 1503.
    You log by measuring cups and serving sizes and average 1503 a day, per your estimate.
    If you lose weight, that 1503 is working for you.
    If you don't lose weight, you have to drop the calories down in increments, until you do. Say, 1150 works.
    You continue logging, using measurements and serving sizes, keeping it to 1150 and you keep losing.

Each of those diets contains exactly the same amount of calories. The first person thinks they are eating 1403 calories to lose weight and the second person thinks they are eating 1150 calories to lose weight.

They're eating exactly the same amount of calories and are both losing weight.

(Also, sadly, they're both wrong about how many calories they've eaten, because both methods leave room for error. They're both eating 1441 calories. But it doesn't matter that aren't aware of the precise amount of calories they've eaten, because they're both very happy about losing weight.)

You're still inadvertently weighing/measuring... even if using measuring cups, since there is a value associated with it (grams, ounces, ml, etc)

Option A: Far more accurate
    Option B: Way less accurate
    Yup!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

It doesn't really matter. The goal isn't to get an accurate calorie reading, it's to lose weight.

Consistent logging and measuring is more important than the "accuracy" of the calorie estimate or the units of measure. Listen to the scale and adjust accordingly....that's all it takes...
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    unless you have some kind of medical condition then it is not carbs that is hampering your weight loss, it is over eating.

Do you own a food scale?
    do you weigh/log/measure everything?

You can eat carbs, be in a deficit, and lose weight; consequently, you can not eat carbs, eat in a surplus, and gain weight.....

She mentioned suspected insulin resistance. I don't know what suspected means, though. However..if it is insulin resistance then lowering carb intake would be a good idea.

was that confirmed by a doctor?

unless of course OP has self diagnosed herself ....

I have no idea. Just saying it was mentioned and if it is the case, carb restriction could be beneficial.
    if it is a medical condition then yes, cut carbs...

if OP has self diagnosed herself, then I would suggest seeing an actual doctor, and not playing one at home...

This is not actually great advice, since I AM a diagnosed Celiac but yet I knew MORE about my condition than the GI did!! So that does not fly in all cases

You still needed your GI to diagnose you with Celiac. Self-diagnosing is quite different than knowing more about your condition than your doctor does. Of course you do, you are the one who lives with it every day.

No, that is NOT true. My feeling better was only peripheral to my diagnosis. I actually have a great Internal Medicine doc that told me that. The GI consult was effectively useless as they told me NOTHING to help me and just Said yeah, you have this. The GI wanted me to go back on gluten For 4-8 WEEKS!!! Which means I KNOW they have no idea what I am living with!! One DAY on gluten KILLS me!! I feel it immediately, now that I know what is happening!! You CAN self-diagnose just fine with a trial of gluten free and then going back. That means you are sensitive to it if you react, BUT there is no treatment for Celiac either beside diet. The only thing done different for me was I got a DEXA scan to make sure my bones were OK after all the GI damage. They were, I went on my way...Guess what, STILL GI problems I had to figure out even though I am "fine". Doctors are NOT be all end all. They have error and they have limited education.

And this is the perfect example of why you don't go gluten free without getting tested for Celiac first. The reason your GI told you to eat gluten for 4-8 weeks is because the test wouldn't have been accurate otherwise. And by the way, the blood test for Celiac is not accurate. It frequently gives false-negatives and false-positives. The only way to determine whether a person absolutely, positively has Celiac is through an endoscopy. One does not need to begin eating gluten again in order to have the procedure because the villi in your small intestine will still be damaged.

The comment about self-diagnosing Celiac is just absurd. You cannot self-diagnose Celiac. Period. You need an endoscopy to diagnose Celiac disease. There's a big difference between having a gluten sensitivity and having Celiac. Celiac can kill if it is left untreated.

First off you are wrong, flat out about the testing. He told me to go back on for 4-8 weeks because you will NOT show up as damaged after being off gluten for say, the month I was. I have researched this at nauseum and that is true. If you are not eating gluten the test will NOT be accurate. You are not seeing what I am seeing.

I said SENSITIVE not Celiac but either way is irrelevant people still can have life threatening reactions to it. AND semantics means nothing if you can't eat it. Clearly you have no idea or you wouldn't be so quick to be dismissive. If I was torn up to the point I could not function, then went off gluten 30 days and felt fine, there is NO WAY in HELL I am going back on and going out of work for 30 days, because that is how sick it makes me. My doctors GI and regular, BOTH said the endoscopy was extraneous at that point since I had HIGH blood levels and since my GI issues and fatigue stopped without gluten at that point. Endoscopy is NOT the only diagnostic measure to a gluten problem and to say so is quite ignorant. You can diagnose a gluten issue by going off and back on in about 2 weeks or a month. The result is all the same. If you feel like crap ON it, don't eat it. Simple, but for some i is just a point to argue.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

It doesn't really matter. The goal isn't to get an accurate calorie reading, it's to lose weight.

Consistent logging and measuring is more important than the "accuracy" of the calorie estimate or the units of measure. Listen to the scale and adjust accordingly....that's all it takes...

Depends on the goal I guess... simply losing weight sure. Body composition, and LBM retention... pays more to be accurate.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    My daughter felt the same as you cindytw and felt she could not put herself through the agony of eating gluten again. She only suspects Celiac disease and sees no point in finding out for sure. There is no cure for Celiac disease and the only treatment is a gluten free diet. I know lots of diagnosed celiacs and they don't do anything different apart from stay away from gluten products and follow a healthy diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Just another "delusional" MD who counters the all calories are the same theory. Obviously, he must be a quack, a liar, or just trying to sell something. And he has the nerve to say that a calories from a Big Gulp and broccoli are not the same. Imagine that?

http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

Thanks for the awesome link that covers the subject well without heavy science.

• cindytw
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    My daughter felt the same as you cindytw and felt she could not put herself through the agony of eating gluten again. She only suspects Celiac disease and sees no point in finding out for sure. There is no cure for Celiac disease and the only treatment is a gluten free diet. I know lots of diagnosed celiacs and they don't do anything different apart from stay away from gluten products and follow a healthy diet.

EXACTLY!! There IS no treatment!! Just GF diet, and in my case Grain free as well. Probably dairy free too!
  • cindytw
    Options
    Just another "delusional" MD who counters the all calories are the same theory. Obviously, he must be a quack, a liar, or just trying to sell something. And he has the nerve to say that a calories from a Big Gulp and broccoli are not the same. Imagine that?

But wait, the "moderation Nazis" that think eating muffins and pizza is just fine all the time within calorie range, they the "experts" on health have deemed Dr. Hyman a "quack". so it must be so. How could we go against such experts??!! (uh yeah, I can't post the real term I want to call these people as it would be flagged!!)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm an Aussie, and I count calories. I do however draw the line at weighing food before I eat it!
    I think some people may deny they calorie count, because it might come across as obsessive?? Nobody likes someone who counts every lettuce leave etc etc they eat ;)

*makes a note to never add you as a friend*

I love my scale, and when I'm being proper about my logging habits (which I am so not doing right now at all) I weight every lettuce leaf I eat. That's how I do it, and if that comes across as obsessive I'll totally own that... right along with my almost 30 pound weight loss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

But wait, the "moderation Nazis" that think eating muffins and pizza is just fine all the time within calorie range, they the "experts" on health have deemed Dr. Hyman a "quack". so it must be so. How could we go against such experts??!! (uh yeah, I can't post the real term I want to call these people as it would be flagged!!)

Hyman is a quack. And just by the way you've worded this post you've shown you have a complete lack of understanding of what moderation means. You're simply flame baiting for the sake of trying to start a fight. Sad.

By the way, need proof Hyman is a quack? Just read the part where he says insulin makes you hungry. The fact is insulin is one of the main appetite suppressants. Hyman just makes things up as he goes along in order to push his books. He doesn't care about facts or reality, he cares about pushing his "detox diet" books to make some cash.
  • c410berry
    Options
    I've just started a Ketogenic diet and have lost 18 pounds in 3 weeks. I do still count calories, but keep them around 1900. Its the most successful that I've been at losing weight in a looong time. Some previous posters were saying it's water weight, but I can't see that I had 18lbs of water lying around lol.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    unless you have some kind of medical condition then it is not carbs that is hampering your weight loss, it is over eating.

Do you own a food scale?

You can eat carbs, be in a deficit, and lose weight; consequently, you can not eat carbs, eat in a surplus, and gain weight.....

She mentioned suspected insulin resistance. I don't know what suspected means, though. However..if it is insulin resistance then lowering carb intake would be a good idea.

I have no idea. Just saying it was mentioned and if it is the case, carb restriction could be beneficial.

if OP has self diagnosed herself, then I would suggest seeing an actual doctor, and not playing one at home...

This is not actually great advice, since I AM a diagnosed Celiac but yet I knew MORE about my condition than the GI did!! So that does not fly in all cases

You still needed your GI to diagnose you with Celiac. Self-diagnosing is quite different than knowing more about your condition than your doctor does. Of course you do, you are the one who lives with it every day.

No, that is NOT true. My feeling better was only peripheral to my diagnosis. I actually have a great Internal Medicine doc that told me that. The GI consult was effectively useless as they told me NOTHING to help me and just Said yeah, you have this. The GI wanted me to go back on gluten For 4-8 WEEKS!!! Which means I KNOW they have no idea what I am living with!! One DAY on gluten KILLS me!! I feel it immediately, now that I know what is happening!! You CAN self-diagnose just fine with a trial of gluten free and then going back. That means you are sensitive to it if you react, BUT there is no treatment for Celiac either beside diet. The only thing done different for me was I got a DEXA scan to make sure my bones were OK after all the GI damage. They were, I went on my way...Guess what, STILL GI problems I had to figure out even though I am "fine". Doctors are NOT be all end all. They have error and they have limited education.

You need to still be ingesting gluten in order to be diagnosed properly, that's why they wanted you to be eating gluten.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    I'm an Aussie, and I count calories. I do however draw the line at weighing food before I eat it!
    I think some people may deny they calorie count, because it might come across as obsessive?? Nobody likes someone who counts every lettuce leave etc etc they eat ;)

SMH. If you don't like accuracy, fine. No need to put labels on people who do.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Do you own a food scale?

And this is the perfect example of why you don't go gluten free without getting tested for Celiac first. The reason your GI told you to eat gluten for 4-8 weeks is because the test wouldn't have been accurate otherwise. And by the way, the blood test for Celiac is not accurate. It frequently gives false-negatives and false-positives. The only way to determine whether a person absolutely, positively has Celiac is through an endoscopy. One does not need to begin eating gluten again in order to have the procedure because the villi in your small intestine will still be damaged.

The comment about self-diagnosing Celiac is just absurd. You cannot self-diagnose Celiac. Period. You need an endoscopy to diagnose Celiac disease. There's a big difference between having a gluten sensitivity and having Celiac. Celiac can kill if it is left untreated.

First off you are wrong, flat out about the testing. He told me to go back on for 4-8 weeks because you will NOT show up as damaged after being off gluten for say, the month I was. I have researched this at nauseum and that is true. If you are not eating gluten the test will NOT be accurate. You are not seeing what I am seeing.

I said SENSITIVE not Celiac but either way is irrelevant people still can have life threatening reactions to it. AND semantics means nothing if you can't eat it. Clearly you have no idea or you wouldn't be so quick to be dismissive. If I was torn up to the point I could not function, then went off gluten 30 days and felt fine, there is NO WAY in HELL I am going back on and going out of work for 30 days, because that is how sick it makes me. My doctors GI and regular, BOTH said the endoscopy was extraneous at that point since I had HIGH blood levels and since my GI issues and fatigue stopped without gluten at that point. Endoscopy is NOT the only diagnostic measure to a gluten problem and to say so is quite ignorant. You can diagnose a gluten issue by going off and back on in about 2 weeks or a month. The result is all the same. If you feel like crap ON it, don't eat it. Simple, but for some i is just a point to argue.

The only "life threatening" reaction anyone can have to a food is anaphylaxis. So unless you're talking about that, please stop exaggerating.

What blood levels were high if you were only "sensitive" and don't have celiac disease? I thought you said you were diagnosed with celiac disease.

Endoscopy and now genetic testing ARE the only standards for diagnosing CELIAC disease, and they are quite distinct from the oh-so-trendy "gluten problems".

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »

It matters for insurance purposes. It might matter if she ever gets hospitalized and needs a special diet.

Self-diagnosing drives me batty.

Celiac disease also rarely exists in a vacuum. It's an autoimmune condition. You'll rarely find a celiac with just one autoimmune disease. It's best to be under a doctor's care and have this all tracked.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The forum has just been a breeding ground for emotion filled posters lately. Where is the application of science and logic lately.
    It is only going to get worse. I just read an article that said that one of the trends of 2015 is that people are going to be getting more of their nutrition information from blogs.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Do you own a food scale?

No, cindytw, you said:
This discussion has been closed.