How bad is it to do weight machines 2 days in a row?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    IndianCat3 wrote: »
    "Girl you are missing the BOAT. 2 snaps"

Now that made me laugh lol

31414-bro-do-you-even-gift-egIz.jpeg?resize=362%2C285
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    Ppl gonna do what they wanna do, go head and do legs two days in a row, chest two days n a row, shoulders two days in a row..then take a rest day, because ur bi, tri, back and abs will get neglected..go right on ahead

if your tris are feeling neglected after shoulders and chest, youre doing it wrong.

U guys are missing the point..

No. You are. The OP didn't ask if it's okay to do heavy squats and deadlifts on Saturday and Sunday. He's doing a light full body workout. He's fine.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Ppl gonna do what they wanna do, go head and do legs two days in a row, chest two days n a row, shoulders two days in a row..then take a rest day, because ur bi, tri, back and abs will get neglected..go right on ahead

if your tris are feeling neglected after shoulders and chest, youre doing it wrong.

i do think we've gotten way off track here.

the thing that got this thread so fired up (i think) was your definitive statement that one should not work the same muscle groups 2 days in a row, which you then followed up with a cocky "and if you are any kind of an athlete, you should know not to work the same muscle group back to back".

OP is doing light weight full body "toning" exercises...he's not asking if he should be doing heavy chest or legs 2 days in a row. sounds like the dude is doing some circuit work for cardio. is doing it 2 days in a row going to be bad for him? no.

the way you phrased it was just so high and mighty. ugh. this would have gone a lot better if you backed up your statement with reference to better recovery or something.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think where/how you feel fatigued can be different for some exercises on a machine vs free weights. For example, when I bench press on my machine for 10-12 reps, my arms can't really push the bar anymore once I'm done, but I'm not sure that my triceps are actually getting stimulated by that movement. In contrast, just recently I did a dumbbell bench press with much lighter weight for 35 reps. I didn't have the same fatigue in my arms, but I definitely felt more soreness in my triceps the next day than when I use the machine.

That's interesting. I did something similar recently (out of curiosity) and the machine/plate loaded machine fatigued my triceps more than free weights (barbell or dumbbell).
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    "Girl you are missing the BOAT. 2 snaps"

Now that made me laugh lol

31414-bro-do-you-even-gift-egIz.jpeg?resize=362%2C285

Did u come u up with that all by yourself????????
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

i do think we've gotten way off track here.

the thing that got this thread so fired up (i think) was your definitive statement that one should not work the same muscle groups 2 days in a row, which you then followed up with a cocky "and if you are any kind of an athlete, you should know not to work the same muscle group back to back".

OP is doing light weight full body "toning" exercises...he's not asking if he should be doing heavy chest or legs 2 days in a row. sounds like the dude is doing some circuit work for cardio. is doing it 2 days in a row going to be bad for him? no.

the way you phrased it was just so high and mighty. ugh. this would have gone a lot better if you backed up your statement with reference to better recovery or something.

• _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Taken from Lyle McDonald's site at this link:
    Which brings us to my preferred training frequency. Which, given my tendency to middle of the road types of recommendations for most things probably won’t surprise anybody at all. For most applications, for the average trainee, I think hitting each muscle group somewhere between twice per week or a minimum of every 5th day yields about optimal results. Which is best for a given individual depends on individual recovery and how often they can be in the gym.

and this:
    However, outside of that one situation, I find that there are some major drawbacks to the idea of training full body three times per week for optimal growth. One of these is that once trainees start handling heavy loads, full body workouts can become incredibly difficult to complete: the loading used in exercises done early in the workout tend to severely limit what can be done later in the workout and something invariably suffers.
    This is especially true if heavy leg training is done at the front of the workout: this often leaves about zero energy for the rest of the workout. And performing leg training last often means that it suffers. Back squatting heavily with a tired shoudler girdle after upper body training is problematic at best and dangerous at worst.
    Additionally, there is at least some indication that there is an optimal training volume per muscle group (a topic I’ll cover in a later article) and achieving that volume in the context of a full body workout tends to become nearly impossible without the workout being several hours long.
    So under most circumstances, I don’t find that hitting each muscle group three times per week is optimal for most trainees. It can be accomplished with proper cycling of intensity for the different bodyparts but since, in my experience, bodybuilders like to train hard pretty much all of the time, suggestions to do that often fall on deaf ears.

There is good info at this site OP. What you do with it is up to you.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I think where/how you feel fatigued can be different for some exercises on a machine vs free weights. For example, when I bench press on my machine for 10-12 reps, my arms can't really push the bar anymore once I'm done, but I'm not sure that my triceps are actually getting stimulated by that movement. In contrast, just recently I did a dumbbell bench press with much lighter weight for 35 reps. I didn't have the same fatigue in my arms, but I definitely felt more soreness in my triceps the next day than when I use the machine.

If you are questioning the amount of recruitment the triceps have in the bench press, try a a high rep set of an isolated tricep exercise then immediately do a set of bench
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    well, that was my opinion which i always gotten from Personal Trainers. Im not gonna apologize for it either. Doing the split lower and upper is the best choice. I never said it was BAD, i said that you shouldn't do it, you can easily injure yourself and muscles need time to grow. that is all.

I'm going to say this as nicely as I can.

You are clearly in over your head with regards to this subject. There are a few people here in this thread that have had pretty good success in the sports/athletic/weightlifting field that have weighed in here. Listen to those posters - don't argue with them.

different strokes for different folks. DO NOT WORK THE SAME MUSCLE GROUP TWO DAYS IN A ROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. Just because YOU choose not to work the same muscle group back-to-back doesn't mean others can't.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

If you are questioning the amount of recruitment the triceps have in the bench press, try a a high rep set of an isolated tricep exercise then immediately do a set of bench
    I know they're definitely involved, but for me it seems like the machine bench press works my chest much more than my triceps.

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've been working the same muscle groups back to back for a year with various intensities and volume. I did machines off an on for 10 years before switching to primarily barbells in the last year. My deadlift has gone up 125 pounds, my squat 60, my front squat up 110, my bench up 60, and even better--- I HAVE NOT DIED. Imagine how *extra not dead* I would be if I were only using machines to do a light workout! Someday we can all learn how to take time off between muscle groups and become real athletes. ;) Then the sky's the limit for all of us! Cheers! *clinks glasses of anabolic Christmas wine with other muscle heads*
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    well, that was my opinion which i always gotten from Personal Trainers. Im not gonna apologize for it either. Doing the split lower and upper is the best choice. I never said it was BAD, i said that you shouldn't do it, you can easily injure yourself and muscles need time to grow. that is all.

What expertise do you possess that enables you to make such definitive statements of good vs bad ... should vs shouldn't?
  • LolBroScience
    Options

What expertise do you possess that enables you to make such definitive statements of good vs bad ... should vs shouldn't?

30 day shred bro
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Wow, I've been working the same muscle groups back to back for a year with various intensities and volume. I did machines off an on for 10 years before switching to primarily barbells in the last year. My deadlift has gone up 125 pounds, my squat 60, my front squat up 110, my bench up 60, and even better--- I HAVE NOT DIED. Imagine how *extra not dead* I would be if I were only using machines to do a light workout! Someday we can all learn how to take time off between muscle groups and become real athletes. ;) Then the sky's the limit for all of us! Cheers! *clinks glasses of anabolic Christmas wine with other muscle heads*

:D Das it
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I know they're definitely involved, but for me it seems like the machine bench press works my chest much more than my triceps.

Is the movement on the machine a straight line perpendicular to your chest or do the handles move inwards as you press? If you're pressing straight there will be more triceps involvement. If you're pressing and your hands move inwards (closer together) during the movement you will better engage your chest. Might also be the position of your elbows, tighter more triceps, flared more chest. You also knocked out 3x more reps/set on the DBs, your tris would feel that the next day.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

she does body pump :p
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    feralX wrote: »

Is the movement on the machine a straight line perpendicular to your chest or do the handles move inwards as you press? If you're pressing straight there will be more triceps involvement. If you're pressing and your hands move inwards (closer together) during the movement you will better engage your chest. Might also be the position of your elbows, tighter more triceps, flared more chest. You also knocked out 3x more reps/set on the DBs, your tris would feel that the next day.
    Hmm, on my machine I'm pressing straight ahead.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

she does body pump :p

:laugh:
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Imagine how *extra not dead* I would be if I were only using machines to do a light workout!

that's a lot of extra much more not dead we're talking!

woah!

:)

• Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    "A watched kettle takes forever to boil".

Absorb this information and take heed. Nothing happens overnight.