Women Questions- I need insight.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    My gyn has me on a three month cycle. Skip the lower hormones/sugar pills, continue taking the active pills. A period every three months. I'm on Yaz.
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Hi! A few personal questions-
    1. What happens to your weight during your period?
    2. When is ovulation?
    3. Do you gain weight during ovulation?

1. The scale laughs at me when I walk by daring me to step on. I don't. I usually don't see a loss this week.
    2. Depends on your body. Mine is about 5 days after my period.
    3. Only when chocolate is mocking and daring me and I have to eat it to make it shut up. Happens quite a bit during ovulation.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    AglaeaC wrote: »

What TheVirgoddess said. How do you handle it emotionally? Have you grown used to it somehow?

Nope. I've been asking for a hysterectomy for a decade because there's nothing they can do to stop it save putting me into artificial menopause periodically with super high strength hormones that shouldn't even be given to women which brings a whole host of other problems. But naturally I'm too young to make decisions about my own body and exist purely as a womb-transportation device even at detriment to my own health.
    Aren't you anemic from the blood loss? A friend of mine bled for 3 weeks and passed out cold at work. Her doc put her on birth control pills to balance out the hormones.

Yes. I've passed out several times. Once in the shower which is preeeetty dangerous. I take a lot of iron now.

I can't leave the house if I'm going to be out of reach of a toilet for more than an hour (two if I double up with a pad/tampon duo) because of how heavy it is (super-jumbo tampon every 45-60mins. Approx 80ml/day loss). I've lost jobs. But see previous point about being a womb transportation unit. My quality of life doesn't matter because I might one day "meet a wonderful man and want to have his babies" (actual quote). Because adoption doesn't count, or something.

Sorry it just makes me so mad. It seems to be a hereditary thing in that my aunt/gran/great-gran had the same but less severe. The ALL kept bleeding through pregnancy and had uncountable miscarriages and EVERY CHILD THEY BORE was dangerously premature so... tell me more about how I'm gonna get pregnant some day and carry a child to term. Go ahead. I'm fascinated.

Double mad this morning because I finished an 11-weeker 6 days ago and started again today like are you KIDDING.

Pill: no effect
    Depo injection: worked for 9 weeks at a time instead of 12. Massively ill from side-effects. Stopped working entirely after a year.
    Implant: worked for 2 years instead of 3. The second one only worked for 3 months. Third one did not work at all.
    Mirena coil: had to be removed because it was too painful.

/end rant

Gonna stop hijacking this thread now, but maybe I can blame weight-not-shifting-for-3-weeks on my bizarre womb *shrug*
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I might still have an old pill pack with the directions- I don't remember- I've been on seasonique for over a year. - I've been told that from the min I started taking pills.

hell even my seasonique might say that.

Ok you're right ..if you stop taking your pills or forget one you need to use back-up contraceptive

But you are taking a 12 weeks of contraceptive followed by 7 day placebo to allow breakthrough bleeding and don't need alternative contraceptive then

Much as with contraceptive pills where you take for 21 days then break for 7 then take for 21 days you do not need alternative contraceptive ...but if you forget to take on day 29 then you should use alternative contraception
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yet any man over 30 can go have a vasectomy at any time with no second guessing- consult- then schedule the appointment.
    -
    boom.

done.

I'd keep pressing- I know it can be done- it just takes some work- so sorry for that- i understand (having done minimal research myself on sterilization) that it's a bias and really effed up system.
  • lexbubbles
    yet any man over 30 can go have a vasectomy at any time with no second guessing- consult- then schedule the appointment.
    -
    boom.

done.

I'd keep pressing- I know it can be done- it just takes some work- so sorry for that- i understand (having done minimal research myself on sterilization) that it's a bias and really effed up system.

I know, right? I go to the gyn every 3-6 months like "yes, I still want a hysterectomy. No, the bleeding has not miraculously stopped. Yes, I still feel like **** emotionally and physically. No, I still do not want children and neither does my boyfriend"

brokenrecord.mp3
  • TheVirgoddess
    What about an ablation?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, sorry if I am.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Also, what you've been told is seriously disgusting. I hope you're not seeing that particular physician anymore.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    lexbubbles wrote: »

What TheVirgoddess said. How do you handle it emotionally? Have you grown used to it somehow?

Nope. I've been asking for a hysterectomy for a decade because there's nothing they can do to stop it save putting me into artificial menopause periodically with super high strength hormones that shouldn't even be given to women which brings a whole host of other problems. But naturally I'm too young to make decisions about my own body and exist purely as a womb-transportation device even at detriment to my own health.
    Aren't you anemic from the blood loss? A friend of mine bled for 3 weeks and passed out cold at work. Her doc put her on birth control pills to balance out the hormones.

Yes. I've passed out several times. Once in the shower which is preeeetty dangerous. I take a lot of iron now.

I can't leave the house if I'm going to be out of reach of a toilet for more than an hour (two if I double up with a pad/tampon duo) because of how heavy it is (super-jumbo tampon every 45-60mins. Approx 80ml/day loss). I've lost jobs. But see previous point about being a womb transportation unit. My quality of life doesn't matter because I might one day "meet a wonderful man and want to have his babies" (actual quote). Because adoption doesn't count, or something.

Sorry it just makes me so mad. It seems to be a hereditary thing in that my aunt/gran/great-gran had the same but less severe. The ALL kept bleeding through pregnancy and had uncountable miscarriages and EVERY CHILD THEY BORE was dangerously premature so... tell me more about how I'm gonna get pregnant some day and carry a child to term. Go ahead. I'm fascinated.

Double mad this morning because I finished an 11-weeker 6 days ago and started again today like are you KIDDING.

Pill: no effect
    Depo injection: worked for 9 weeks at a time instead of 12. Massively ill from side-effects. Stopped working entirely after a year.
    Implant: worked for 2 years instead of 3. The second one only worked for 3 months. Third one did not work at all.
    Mirena coil: had to be removed because it was too painful.

/end rant

Gonna stop hijacking this thread now, but maybe I can blame weight-not-shifting-for-3-weeks on my bizarre womb *shrug*

OMG you're absolutely right to rant, no need to apologize.

This is extreme, I know, and expensive, but maybe see a doc in Europe? They're much less moralistic and judgmental there, in my experience.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I might still have an old pill pack with the directions- I don't remember- I've been on seasonique for over a year. - I've been told that from the min I started taking pills.

Ok you're right ..if you stop taking your pills or forget one you need to use back-up contraceptive

But you are taking a 12 weeks of contraceptive followed by 7 day placebo to allow breakthrough bleeding and don't need alternative contraceptive then

Much as with contraceptive pills where you take for 21 days then break for 7 then take for 21 days you do not need alternative contraceptive ...but if you forget to take on day 29 then you should use alternative contraception

Right, this sounds like the old 777/28s (like Ortho Novum etc). There are differing types, some that are phasic, and some that are continuous dosage. If you are on continuous dose and miss a couple, then you'd definitely use back up. As best I recall lol. It's been a while since I used hormonal BC.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I just checked my pill pack, and no instruction leaflet. I am going to get to the bottom of this lol
    An old friend of mine got pregnant while on the pill. She couldn't figure it out, until she remembered she threw up one day not long after taking her pill and BAM! Because she vomited up said pill, she was not protected for the next 24 hours.
    I'm going to call my doctor in a couple of hours and get a definitive answer.
  • lexbubbles

This is extreme, I know, and expensive, but maybe see a doc in Europe? They're much less moralistic and judgemental there, in my experience.

I'm British. I live in Scotland. I shudder at my chances if I lived in the states, frankly (although American women are twice as likely to have a hysterectomy as Europeans so maybe I'd actually have better luck!)

The main reason they won't do it (other than blah blah you're young you're gonna want a child because EVERY WOMAN WANTS A CHILD) is that they literally can't find anything wrong with me. Which is... kind of... silly.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member

This is extreme, I know, and expensive, but maybe see a doc in Europe? They're much less moralistic and judgemental there, in my experience.

I'm British. I live in Scotland. I shudder at my chances if I lived in the states, frankly (although American women are twice as likely to have a hysterectomy as Europeans so maybe I'd actually have better luck!)

The main reason they won't do it (other than blah blah you're young you're gonna want a child because EVERY WOMAN WANTS A CHILD) is that they literally can't find anything wrong with me. Which is... kind of... silly.

Sorry, I only glanced at your profile -- I saw "SC" and assumed South Carolina. How American-centric of me. :) I always think of Europe as being more progressive than the U.S. by far, as far as respecting women's reproductive rights, etc.

I had a friend many years ago who lived in Virginia. She wanted to be sterilized at age 29 and was refused for the same reason..."you'll change your mind, etc etc" I don't know whatever happened to her.

I'm sorry you've had to endure this treatment. They may not be able to find anything "wrong with you" medically, but surely long-term anemia and having to take iron supplements can't be good for you, medically speaking?

What about Scandinavia?? Seriously...?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member

Sorry, I only glanced at your profile -- I saw "SC" and assumed South Carolina. How American-centric of me. :) I always think of Europe as being more progressive than the U.S. by far, as far as respecting women's reproductive rights, etc.

I had a friend many years ago who lived in Virginia. She wanted to be sterilized at age 29 and was refused for the same reason..."you'll change your mind, etc etc" I don't know whatever happened to her.

I'm sorry you've had to endure this treatment. They may not be able to find anything "wrong with you" medically, but surely long-term anemia and having to take iron supplements can't be good for you, medically speaking?

I'm not very well-versed in the new laws regarding receiving healthcare within all of the European Union, but it is worth looking into, if someone is appalling enough to tell an adult what life choices they ought to be making.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Actually you need to insist and make yourself a pain in the butt...go to PALS, threaten them with discrimination, find a sympathetic gynae...

The bigger PITA you are with the NHS the better the outcome unfortunately

If you can find a top consultant who works privately you can pay them for a quicker consultation (if you have a spare £2-£300) ..unfair but effective
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

herm- I still hadn't heard that- I pretty much refuse to not have 'back up' once I've been off for 2 days because I assume I'm not covered- including the end for the break through.
    I just checked my pill pack, and no instruction leaflet. I am going to get to the bottom of this lol
    An old friend of mine got pregnant while on the pill. She couldn't figure it out, until she remembered she threw up one day not long after taking her pill and BAM! Because she vomited up said pill, she was not protected for the next 24 hours.
    I'm going to call my doctor in a couple of hours and get a definitive answer.

problem with pills is in order for them to be as effective as they claim to be (which they are) but you have to follow the directions to a T. So yeah- one missed pill- can cause that.

A lot of women take them irregularly- and or skip a day... you have to be a little anal retentive about taking them- same time- regularly every day in order to hit the 98-99% effective rate.

I'm a little less concerned- I take mine in the morning and I call it good- sometimes if I sleep in - it's off by 2-3 hours- which I KNOW means I've reduced the effective rate and in theory increases my risks of pregnancy- but ultimately I know he's been clipped and my pills are as much hormonal regulators as they are my back up method. But flip side- as I mentioned above- even I skip 2 days- I'm busting out the rubbers.

(Also- yes 2 days- considering my BF is only here 2 days a week- I have less to worry about with skipping days and having sex LOL)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I bleed for 10-18 weeks constantly and then have 1-4 weeks off with no warning signs for a re-start. I have no idea if I gain weight because my 'cycle' is non-existent in any sense that could be reliably measured, but I seem to start ovulating at any point between 72 hours and 14 days after I stop bleeding.

Goodness - have you seen a doctor?

28 of them, and had all the tests including the painful and invasive ones. There's nothing wrong with me. I'm just bizarre.

That's....not healthy. I hope you can find a doctor that will run the right tests to find what's going on and help you correct it.

I'm not sure what's more sad, the fact that you have to deal with that (and its consequences), or the fact that not one, but 28 doctors have shrugged their shoulders and said you were healthy and refuse surgery. I hope you can find a doctor that can help you find the root cause of this, or at the very least is willing to start the process necessary for a hysterectomy. It's downright shameful that doctors can dictate what you do with your body (especially when you want to do it for the sake of your current health and quality of life) like that. If you change your mind in the future and decide you want kids, there are other options besides you getting pregnant.

I'm astounded that a place like Scotland would treat you that way. Like someone else said, I thought Europe was supposed to be more progressive on such matters (it's common here in the States, unfortunately, but it's also common for Europeans to shake their heads in disbelief at our doctors, too). The only thing I can think of (and I feel like it's stating the obvious) is try in Britain or mainland Europe and see if a surgeon would be willing to do the hysterectomy that way.
    This part was a side track, but perhaps of interest to someone:
    There is no medical reason why a woman has to stop taking the pill for seven days, but the period is a synthetic bleeding because a woman is supposed to bleed to be a woman (sarkasm). The concept has been challenged by some doctors, who now prescribe 28/28 days of hormones, without any synthetic period induced as part of the cycle.

While it may have proven to be incorrect in women who are otherwise hormonally healthy, the idea that a woman needs a "break" or needs to bleed every month or so isn't entirely unfounded, nor is it some plot of men against women (which is an absurd idea in itself purely given the number of birth controls available that stop your period entirely -- it's not as though all birth controls required you to have a regular period).

Women with PCOS and other hormonal issues and the associated amenorrhea/dismenorrhea (and anovulation) are at higher risk for endometrial, breast, and ovarian cancers, generally due to elevated Estrogen levels and Estrogen dominance, and has been considered in part due to the lack of shedding of the endometrial lining. Given that birth control pills generally raise your Estrogen levels and produce a sort of artificial state of Estrogen dominance or PCOS-like elevated hormones, when coupled with the lack of a regular period, it's not much of a logical stretch to believe that the same would happen to women on birth control.
  • lexbubbles

Actually you need to insist and make yourself a pain in the butt...go to PALS, threaten them with discrimination, find a sympathetic gynae...

The bigger PITA you are with the NHS the better the outcome unfortunately

If you can find a top consultant who works privately you can pay them for a quicker consultation (if you have a spare £2-£300) ..unfair but effective

My gyane (who is BY FAR the most sympathetic I've ever met, and also happens to be the best consultant in London) isn't 100% opposed but had to basically put it to a vote amongst all the other consultants (most of whom I've met, although usually only once because I don't take kindly to being told that I WILL want children in the future and I MUST live my life like this for the exact purpose of later breeding) and, er, they voted no unanimously. Huge surprise.

He wanted a psych eval done after said 'vote' since the overriding opinion (from the others, not him) is that it's 'not normal' to dislike children and not want any but psych services refuse to see me for that reason because I'm 'capable of making my own decisions' which is an unsatisfactory answer for the gynae dept.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare anything for private consultations (or anything else).

I EVEN offered to sign a goddamn legal waiver that I won't sue them for 'emotional trauma' or 'medical negligence' or whatever if they do the hysto and I later regret my life choices. But no.

Sigh. I've been insisting and making myself a PITA since I was 14. I might get taken seriously in 6 years or so when I hit 30 and am still mystically childless. Who knows.

Or they can just take me in and out of potentially dangerous ('we don't even know what this stuff does long term or if you're on it for a long time') medical menopause until I hit the real one in 25 years or so.

(Side note: really messes with your weight, that. Most people only go through the menopause ONCE. I've done it three times already)
  • lexbubbles

That's fine. I don't know why it says 'SC' and not just 'UK' given that SC is also a state abbreviation, but whatever.

And here's the crux, really. It makes me laugh because if you don't then you'll cry or something.
    *Being like this causes me physical harm. Anaemia etc.
    *It also causes me emotional trauma and prevents me from IN ANY WAY living a normal life. It is essentially a disability.
    *The hormones I get put on to 'give me a breather' do additional physical harm
    *Doctors take an oath to 'first do no harm' and you're thinking BUT THEY ARE! RIGHT NOW! Ah, but...
    *Convinced that performing a hysterectomy on a 24-year old will result in future severe emotional trauma from not being able to have biological children
    *This potential future emotional trauma deemed more severe than the CURRENT harm being done
    *Thus, harm now better than the harm later
    *Which both contradicts and coincides with 'first do no harm'

It's like Schrödinger's womb.

And I mean really it's ridiculous. You want traumatising? Re-enact scenes from CSI in your bathroom every morning for 4 months and get back to me.

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    That's fine. I don't know why it says 'SC' and not just 'UK' given that SC is also a state abbreviation, but whatever.

That's because everyone in the whole wide world is supposed to identify with their region rather than country :) I think the US is the only place where people don't mention the country but a state, but who cares.