A Question About Sugar

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Diane,

That's great if you watch sugar for your own personal reasons, but you have made a blanket statement:
    DianePK wrote: »
    Processed sugar is responsible for many health issues so try to avoid anything with more than 14% sugar.

I don't believe sugar is not the actual cause but rather the body's inability to properly metabolize insulin.
    What about in certain situations such as allergies or digestive problems? Is the problem sugar itself or metabolizing insulin?

Jason,

I'm not following. I used diabetes as an example because sugar restriction is required in those situations.

What do allergies or digestive problems have to do with sugar? Certainly, if you eat too much sugar and it upsets your stomach, then don't eat so much.

If you have allergies, then find the cause and take care of it. But, before you say it's sugar that you're allergic to, remember that if you are allergic to something you can't eat any of it because if you do you could die. To eat 100% sugar free is impossible because just about everything has sugar in it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Sugar does matter - I am shocked at some of comments here.

Please read this: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/carbohydrates-and-blood-sugar/

Fact is - if you eat complex carbohydrates then you will not cause blood sugar spikes to the same degree as eating simple carbohydrates. Eating "sugar" can be a simple as eating something that rates as "high" on the glycemic index (baked potato as an example). If you eat simple carbohydrates, your body will store it as fat very quickly. The storage of fat and excess fat is what is called "inflammation".So eating a simple carb is like eating a packet of sugar - and that will cause your body to store more fat than necessary (or the alternative, eating a complex carb will not store as readily as fat).

I know I can go round and round and whatnot, but I hope this helps. Sugar does matter - it's the type of "sugar" you are eating. Eat complex carbs and avoid refined sugars and any foods that are rated "high" in the glycemic index and you will never have to worry about tracking sugar on this site (or in your life for that matter).

Wait, so if I take anti inflammatory I will lose weight? Yeah..... Just no.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Oops, too late, Sorry Zhost. I did edit my post but not quick enough. Nothing whatsoever to do with your post.

You replied "I only find studies because the stuff interests me, it might interest others as well. I support everyone's wanting to lose weight, however they chose to."

Post away my friend. Unfortunately, we overlapped. :D
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I don't understand why it is necessary for the average person to have to come up with a "peer reviewed study" every time they post an opinion. And if they do post a study, it is never good enough. I had the Australian Government and Health Department supporting one of my claims, but nah, corrupt government, not good enough.

Give me strength! What about a bit of free speech, light discussion and a community working together to help others understand issues instead of ridicule and dictatorship.

If people want to reduce and moderate their sugar, I say "good for them" and believe me there will be no stupid study to back up my statement.

Leena, please. Please stop.

I asked for a peer reviewed study due to blanket statements about sugar: it causes diseases and 14% of less is the magic cutoff number for sugar consumption. This is me only and nobody else.

Ridicule and dictatorship are in your perception only and nowhere in my posting.

Absolutely- if people want to reduce their sugar intake for personal issues, that's great. However, you make blanket statements about anything causing anything at all, you need to back it up.

Studies are not stupid. Besides--and I think you already know this--but supporting someone else in wanting to moderate their sugar is a far cry from saying sugar causes disease and eat less than 14% sugar in your diet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Diane,

That's great if you watch sugar for your own personal reasons, but you have made a blanket statement:
    Processed sugar is responsible for many health issues so try to avoid anything with more than 14% sugar.

I don't believe sugar is not the actual cause but rather the body's inability to properly metabolize insulin.
    What about in certain situations such as allergies or digestive problems? Is the problem sugar itself or metabolizing insulin?

Jason,

I'm not following. I used diabetes as an example because sugar restriction is required in those situations.

What do allergies or digestive problems have to do with sugar? Certainly, if you eat too much sugar and it upsets your stomach, then don't eat so much.

If you have allergies, then find the cause and take care of it. But, before you say it's sugar that you're allergic to, remember that if you are allergic to something you can't eat any of it because if you do you could die. To eat 100% sugar free is impossible because just about everything has sugar in it.

Because he suffers from allergies and is looking for any type of explanation as to why he can't bulk.

i thought he was slooooooowwwwwwwwwww bulking….?
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    Oops, sorry Leena! And Elphie the point is sugar can trigger useless inflammatory response, which is not good.
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do not know what the specific criteria is for acceptable vs unacceptable comments and opinions which warrant "warnings" and removal of postings. I do wish to apologise for my defensive and accusatory responses which does not promote intellectual discussion and in stead moves the interactions to a more emotional and less productive level of conversation. I appreciate the high level of information sharing and I appreciate that there is an emphasis on evidence-based findings from literature and studies that have been through the rigour of peer-reviewing, editing etc. I have been wondering why I have been resistant to validating and even participating in the discourse at a scientific level rather than diminishing its value and contributions. What I came up with during my work-out this morning is that the process of distilling and making sense of studies and findings so that useful applications are revealed can be challenging. Unless the academic discussions are merely for validating and reinforcing already stated views and beliefs, then my assumption is there is some degree of interest in using this information in applied fashion to promote positive outcomes for readers. I found quite a number of responses over the past few days quite difficult to integrate into meaningful changes at a practical level and this is not a criticism of the authors so I do not require a "warning". It is however a general comment regarding the focus on being right and scientifically sound rather than more practical and cogniscent of the many variables which impact one's health and weight. I hope I have not engaged in another "word salad" or offered a "pseudoscientific" opinion. This is simply a comment on the process and intent of some of the discussions I have come across.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Just a quick edit to say to Zhost, whose links I haven't read, that this was written prior to your posting and has nothing whatsoever to do with that. My post is just a general rant. :)

I don't understand why it is necessary for the average person to have to come up with a "peer reviewed study" every time they post an opinion. And if they do post a study, it is never good enough. I had the Australian Government and Health Department supporting one of my claims, but nah, corrupt government, not good enough.

Give me strength! What about a bit of free speech, light discussion and a community working together to help others understand issues instead of ridicule and dictatorship.

If people want to reduce and moderate their sugar, I say "good for them" and believe me there will be no stupid study to back up my statement.

because if you are going to make claims that are blatantly outrageous - like "sugar is as addictive as heroin" or "you should only eat sugar if it is 14% of calories" then you should be prepared to be able to back up said claim with studies that have been reviewed…

• LeenaGee
    Options
    I am a busy person and I do not have the time nor the inclination to back up everything I say. There are numerous studies supporting for and against. Take your pick.

Just for the record, I personally never said "sugar is as addictive as heroin" (but hey close)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Diane,

Jason,

Because he suffers from allergies and is looking for any type of explanation as to why he can't bulk.
    This is unrelated to my bulk (although it's possible it could be if I'm not digesting it properly). I brought it up because at certain times of the day (particularly in the evening), I have noticed sometimes consuming sugary foods has increased my allergies (like runny nose) and sometimes a little bit of stomach discomfort (nothing major).

• ndj1979
    Options
    I am a busy person and I do not have the time nor the inclination to back up everything I say. There are numerous studies supporting for and against. Take your pick.

Just for the record, I personally never said "sugar is as addictive as heroin" (but hey close)

the "you" was a general term …

• LeenaGee
    Options
    And sorry SLLRunner, wrong choice of words. You are right, studies are not stupid but boy are they boring.

Make no mistake here, I understand them but they bore me to tears.
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    And sorry SLLRunner, wrong choice of words. You are right, studies are not stupid but boy are they boring.

I usually try to link short and to the point ones but am always happy to tl;dr them to people who ask, in general.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just a quick edit to say to Zhost, whose links I haven't read, that this was written prior to your posting and has nothing whatsoever to do with that. My post is just a general rant. :)

well said! I agree 100%.

• Christine_72
    Options
    This is a forum guys. Not a scientific one, at that!
  • ndj1979
    Options

based on your posting history ..you understand nothing...
  • ndj1979
    Options

when people stop using opinion as fact, then I will stop calling for a peer reviewed study …deal?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

when people stop using opinion as fact, then I will stop calling for a peer reviewed study …deal?

Dealio :D

This is why I always start my sentences with "IMO" or "My personal experience"

This discussion has been closed.