Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Zhost wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Oops, sorry Leena! And Elphie the point is sugar can trigger useless inflammatory response, which is not good.

Fat is not inflamation. That is fact.

I did not say fat, I said sugar/glucose.

Reread the quote where he was claiming fat is inflamation from carbs.

I'm going off of my own posts with links, though excess sugar does get stored in fat.

Nope. Excess calories get stored as fat. If all you ate was chicken, but ate 3500 more calories of chicken than you burned, you would still gain weight.

And sugar has calories. And carbs are usually more rampant in a person's diet, carbs get turned into sugar and if it's excess, into fat it goes. So where I might be wrong, I'm also right.

Fat has more calories per gram than carbs. Replace the word sugar with dietary fats...still the case?

DNL does not happen very easily at all btw.

Does fat cause a big of insulin spike as carbs? Possibly making someone want to eat more?
    And again, fat may have more calories but carbs are usually more present, gram wise.

Not sure what the point is re the question and how it relates to my comment.

However, I would ask...does an insulin spike cause you to want to eat more? However, that has nothing to do with the fact that DNL rarely happens.
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    Oops, sorry Leena! And Elphie the point is sugar can trigger useless inflammatory response, which is not good.

I'm going off of my own posts with links, though excess sugar does get stored in fat.

Nope. Excess calories get stored as fat. If all you ate was chicken, but ate 3500 more calories of chicken than you burned, you would still gain weight.

And sugar has calories. And carbs are usually more rampant in a person's diet, carbs get turned into sugar and if it's excess, into fat it goes. So where I might be wrong, I'm also right.

Fat has more calories per gram than carbs. Replace the word sugar with dietary fats...still the case?

Does fat cause a big of insulin spike as carbs? Possibly making someone want to eat more?
    And again, fat may have more calories but carbs are usually more present, gram wise.

However, I would ask...does an insulin spike cause you to want to eat more? However, that has nothing to do with the fact that DNL rarely happens.

Because a rollercoaster of insulin and blood glucose spikes are perfectly fine, and how does most of that happen? Carbs, unless you specifically eat low on the GI scale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_crash

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Just a quick edit to say to Zhost, whose links I haven't read, that this was written prior to your posting and has nothing whatsoever to do with that. My post is just a general rant. :)

I don't understand why it is necessary for the average person to have to come up with a "peer reviewed study" every time they post an opinion. And if they do post a study, it is never good enough. I had the Australian Government and Health Department supporting one of my claims, but nah, corrupt government, not good enough.

Give me strength! What about a bit of free speech, light discussion and a community working together to help others understand issues instead of ridicule and dictatorship.

If people want to reduce and moderate their sugar, I say "good for them" and believe me there will be no stupid study to back up my statement.

Nothing wrong with individual choices and personal preferences, but blanket statements parading as facts have every right to be questioned.

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Because a rollercoaster of insulin and blood glucose spikes are perfectly fine, and how does most of that happen? Carbs, unless you specifically eat low on the GI scale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_crash

What about the insulin spikes caused by protein?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Not sure that has answered that question either. Also, insulin response is blunted in a mixed meal.

Have a read of this and the others in the series:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

BTW: I do not get sugar crashes.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I do not know what the specific criteria is for acceptable vs unacceptable comments and opinions which warrant "warnings" and removal of postings. I do wish to apologise for my defensive and accusatory responses which does not promote intellectual discussion and in stead moves the interactions to a more emotional and less productive level of conversation. I appreciate the high level of information sharing and I appreciate that there is an emphasis on evidence-based findings from literature and studies that have been through the rigour of peer-reviewing, editing etc. I have been wondering why I have been resistant to validating and even participating in the discourse at a scientific level rather than diminishing its value and contributions. What I came up with during my work-out this morning is that the process of distilling and making sense of studies and findings so that useful applications are revealed can be challenging. Unless the academic discussions are merely for validating and reinforcing already stated views and beliefs, then my assumption is there is some degree of interest in using this information in applied fashion to promote positive outcomes for readers. I found quite a number of responses over the past few days quite difficult to integrate into meaningful changes at a practical level and this is not a criticism of the authors so I do not require a "warning". It is however a general comment regarding the focus on being right and scientifically sound rather than more practical and cogniscent of the many variables which impact one's health and weight. I hope I have not engaged in another "word salad" or offered a "pseudoscientific" opinion. This is simply a comment on the process and intent of some of the discussions I have come across.

You basically just said nothing, but did manage to passive aggressively insult a bunch of people. And you are incorrect in your assessment regarding the intent of those looking for scientific support for claims made. If someone is going to make a blanket statement that they feel applies universally, then the onus is on them to provide proof of their claims.

You keep alluding to "variables" impacting health and weight as if your view is absolute, and yet, you cagily dance around and don't want to be questioned on it or engage in academic discussion regarding it.

What exactly are you hinting at? What "variables"?

• Zhost
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

Yes protein does cause a spike but since it is digested at a slower rate, glucose levels do not crash.

• Zhost
    Options

Not sure that has answered that question either. Also, insulin response is blunted in a mixed meal.

That's a lovely link that supports both of our claims, thank you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Nope. Any excess calories get stored as fat, and it doesn't matter which food that excess comes from.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited January 2015
    Options

That's a lovely link that supports both of our claims, thank you.

What claim of yours does it support? I am not sure what claim you are referring to that relates to my original and subsequent comment.

Not sure how this part supports your increased appetite claim:

"MYTH: Insulin Makes You Hungry

FACT: Insulin Suppresses Appetite

It is a well known fact that insulin acutely suppresses appetite. This has been demonstrated in dozens and dozens of experiments. This will be important when we talk about the next misconception…"

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes protein does cause a spike but since it is digested at a slower rate, glucose levels do not crash.

I am confused as to why you think everyone suffers from these 'sugar crashes' if they have carbs.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    DianePK wrote: »
    I have gotten myself tangled in knots about sugar, but basically it comes down to "less sugar, less calories" and the less calories the easier it is to create an energy deficit. I have fruit but not too much as the sugar can creep up, particularly if you are having loads of fruit smoothies. I drink sugar free soda, which while others may not agree with me, it helps me to curb my sugar intake. Processed sugar is responsible for many health issues so try to avoid anything with more than 14% sugar.

Good thoughts and practice as in one studies the subject and act on their take of their reading. Now one is off and running and when personal results or new facts call for a new decision/direction it can be implemented. Keep up the good work. The facts that work to make our health improve are good facts in our own case.

• Zhost
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Nope. Any excess calories get stored as fat, and it doesn't matter which food that excess comes from.

Yep I replied to that already, again, the average diet takes in way more carbs than protein and fat.
  • Zhost
    Options

I am confused as to why you think everyone suffers from these 'sugar crashes' if they have carbs.

While not everyone does, plenty do. And your study shows lower BG response in LC/HP meals and shows more satiety in LC/HP.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

While not everyone does, plenty do. And your study shows lower BG response in LC/HP meals and shows more satiety in LC/HP.

Did you read the whole thing?

• Zhost
    Options

Yes and I looked at the pretty graphs!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Yep I replied to that already, again, the average diet takes in way more carbs than protein and fat.

So?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Iam definitely one of those people!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options

As does excess protein and fat...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes and I looked at the pretty graphs!

Did you miss this?

"MYTH: Insulin Makes You Hungry

FACT: Insulin Suppresses Appetite

It is a well known fact that insulin acutely suppresses appetite. This has been demonstrated in dozens and dozens of experiments. This will be important when we talk about the next misconception…"
This discussion has been closed.