A Question About Sugar

Options

Replies

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Zhost wrote: »

I usually try to link short and to the point ones but am always happy to tl;dr them to people who ask, in general.[/quote]

No Zhost, please don't do that. Post the links, there are a lot of people who will read and enjoy them and when I have time, I will be one of them. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Oops, sorry Leena! And Elphie the point is sugar can trigger useless inflammatory response, which is not good.

Fat is not inflamation. That is fact.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I am a busy person and I do not have the time nor the inclination to back up everything I say. There are numerous studies supporting for and against. Take your pick.

Just for the record, I personally never said "sugar is as addictive as heroin" (but hey close)

Then don't phrase your opinion as if it were fact.

As I said, I'm a busy person (fact), I type and run. I just want people to be able to express an opinion without fear of ridicule. That's all.
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Oops, sorry Leena! And Elphie the point is sugar can trigger useless inflammatory response, which is not good.

I did not say fat, I said sugar/glucose.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

when people stop using opinion as fact, then I will stop calling for a peer reviewed study …deal?

In your previous post, you said to me "based on your posting history ..you understand nothing..."

So due to my obvious lack of understanding, I will make no "deal" until I consult my lawyer.lol
  • elphie754
    Options

Reread the quote where he was claiming fat is inflamation from carbs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Diane,

That's great if you watch sugar for your own personal reasons, but you have made a blanket statement:
    DianePK wrote: »
    Processed sugar is responsible for many health issues so try to avoid anything with more than 14% sugar.

I don't believe sugar is not the actual cause but rather the body's inability to properly metabolize insulin.
    What about in certain situations such as allergies or digestive problems? Is the problem sugar itself or metabolizing insulin?

Jason,

I'm not following. I used diabetes as an example because sugar restriction is required in those situations.

What do allergies or digestive problems have to do with sugar? Certainly, if you eat too much sugar and it upsets your stomach, then don't eat so much.

If you have allergies, then find the cause and take care of it. But, before you say it's sugar that you're allergic to, remember that if you are allergic to something you can't eat any of it because if you do you could die. To eat 100% sugar free is impossible because just about everything has sugar in it.

Because he suffers from allergies and is looking for any type of explanation as to why he can't bulk.
    This is unrelated to my bulk (although it's possible it could be if I'm not digesting it properly). I brought it up because at certain times of the day (particularly in the evening), I have noticed sometimes consuming sugary foods has increased my allergies (like runny nose) and sometimes a little bit of stomach discomfort (nothing major).

Okay, but....since I presume you are not eating sugar by the teaspoon straight out of the box, could it be something else in that particular food that is causing the allergies? I ask because I had similar reactions and correlated it with sugar, when in fact it was soy. How do I know this? Because I did an elimination diet and no longer eat soy but do eat sugar, and my allergies type symptoms are all but gone. ;)
  • Zhost
    Options

I'm going off of my own posts with links, though excess sugar does get stored in fat.
  • SLLRunner
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is a forum guys. Not a scientific one, at that!

when people stop using opinion as fact, then I will stop calling for a peer reviewed study …deal?
    This.

There are a thousand degrees between opinion and fact.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    I am a busy person and I do not have the time nor the inclination to back up everything I say. There are numerous studies supporting for and against. Take your pick.

Just for the record, I personally never said "sugar is as addictive as heroin" (but hey close)

Then don't phrase your opinion as if it were fact.

As I said, I'm a busy person (fact), I type and run. I just want people to be able to express an opinion without fear of ridicule. That's all.

The ridicule is in your perception only. To ask for backup and also refute people's claims stated as fact is fair game.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Diane,

That's great if you watch sugar for your own personal reasons, but you have made a blanket statement:
    DianePK wrote: »
    Processed sugar is responsible for many health issues so try to avoid anything with more than 14% sugar.

I don't believe sugar is not the actual cause but rather the body's inability to properly metabolize insulin.
    What about in certain situations such as allergies or digestive problems? Is the problem sugar itself or metabolizing insulin?

Jason,

I'm not following. I used diabetes as an example because sugar restriction is required in those situations.

What do allergies or digestive problems have to do with sugar? Certainly, if you eat too much sugar and it upsets your stomach, then don't eat so much.

If you have allergies, then find the cause and take care of it. But, before you say it's sugar that you're allergic to, remember that if you are allergic to something you can't eat any of it because if you do you could die. To eat 100% sugar free is impossible because just about everything has sugar in it.

Because he suffers from allergies and is looking for any type of explanation as to why he can't bulk.
    This is unrelated to my bulk (although it's possible it could be if I'm not digesting it properly). I brought it up because at certain times of the day (particularly in the evening), I have noticed sometimes consuming sugary foods has increased my allergies (like runny nose) and sometimes a little bit of stomach discomfort (nothing major).

Okay, but....since I presume you are not eating sugar by the teaspoon straight out of the box, could it be something else in that particular food that is causing the allergies? I ask because I had similar reactions and correlated it with sugar, when in fact it was soy. How do I know this? Because I did an elimination diet and no longer eat soy but do eat sugar, and my allergies type symptoms are all but gone. ;)
    I suppose it is possible that there could be something else involved.

• elphie754
    Options

I'm going off of my own posts with links, though excess sugar does get stored in fat.

Nope. Excess calories get stored as fat. If all you ate was chicken, but ate 3500 more calories of chicken than you burned, you would still gain weight.
  • Zhost
    Options

Nope. Excess calories get stored as fat. If all you ate was chicken, but ate 3500 more calories of chicken than you burned, you would still gain weight.

And sugar has calories. And carbs are usually more rampant in a person's diet, carbs get turned into sugar and if it's excess, into fat it goes. So where I might be wrong, I'm also right.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And sugar has calories. And carbs are usually more rampant in a person's diet, carbs get turned into sugar and if it's excess, into fat it goes. So where I might be wrong, I'm also right.

Fat has more calories per gram than carbs. Replace the word sugar with dietary fats...still the case?

DNL does not happen very easily at all btw.

• Zhost
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Fat has more calories per gram than carbs. Replace the word sugar with dietary fats...still the case?

DNL does not happen very easily at all btw.

Does fat cause a big of insulin spike as carbs? Possibly making someone want to eat more?
    And again, fat may have more calories but carbs are usually more present, gram wise.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

any excess calories go to fat..

if you are in deficit and you eat sugar then it does not go to fat..

if you are in a surplus and eat 100% "clean" then it does go to fat…

• Zhost
    Options

any excess calories go to fat..

if you are in deficit and you eat sugar then it does not go to fat..

if you are in a surplus and eat 100% "clean" then it does go to fat…

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly, it was a bad wording on my part and acknowledge my dumbassery because of it.
This discussion has been closed.