2015 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• markyj8383
    markyj8383 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! I would be happy to mentor a couple of people.

I'm Linda (duh) and in the past 9-10 months I've lost about 55 lbs and really changed my food outlook. I love to eat (actually got a gym tank for Christmas that says: I RUN for FOOD.). I try to stick with what I consider a *clean* diet. Lots of fresh veggies and good fats and protein. Some weeks I cook all week and have some really wonderful recipes I can share. Some weeks, I decimate a rotisserie chicken from Kroger for 4 days because my schedule is too hectic to shop and cook. I'm diligent about tracking (215 day streak!) though if you look at my diary for the past holiday week, all of the above may seem like BS. I don't believe in denying myself any of the food I really want. I just watch my portions and track the calories so I know where I am.

I exercise and am a proponent of getting some mood lifting movement in. It doesn't need to be running or exercising just like I do, just move some. It can really affect your outlook, energy and can give out some great endorphins! I try to run at least 5 days a week and I've just started lifting with a trainer. After my weight loss I love clothes again and I love (mostly) the way my body feels. I want to really tighten it up though and be as strong and healthy as I can be. With the least jiggle possible.

Fair warning: I am a *You can do it!* cheerleader Pollyanna who almost always is positive. I'm told that can be super annoying at times. ;)

Hit me up with a friend request and a little message about your goals if you want to connect!

• lovemykids0609
    lovemykids0609 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    28 with 3 kids. I do have hypothyroidism so it's a little more difficult for me to lose weight. I have a hard time getting motivated. Could really use the encouragement!
  • Ajirvin
    Ajirvin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm looking to be mentored! In February I had a kid and 2 months later I had my gallbladder out. For my pregnancy, I didn't work out at all because I was in so much pain, and before that I didn't work out much. I'm 5'6-7" and weigh 170. This is the heaviest I've been. I really want to work hard and be happy with myself. I don't feel like i have any muscle. I'm pretty sure I'm 95% body fat. I'm a pretty healthy eater because I've always had acid reflux/gallbladder issues and I guess I just got used to eating fairly well. I need someone to stay on me about working out. I've asked my husband and he does what he can but is hard for him to tell me to work out when he is so attracted to me and loves me so much. He doesn't want to hurt my feelings. I'm a stay at home mom so I have no excuses.
    I know spot reduction isn't a thing but I'd like to lose weight in my upper arms, love handles, and my thighs. I'd like to firm my butt too. My stomach has a pooch but isn't bad and I have a feeling when I get into a workout routine, it will go away fast.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I can definitely mentor a few people right now, I already have one friend on my list who I help frequently, and I definitely have time for a few others.

Anyways, a little bit about me, I'm recent Psych grad working at a research lab, I'm also an Australian living in Toronto. I started using MFP in January of 2014 and was successful for 5 months until I was derailed by a tough year at university and a new boyfriend who loved dining out. Now I'm back, and slightly heavier, but highly motivated.

Stats:
    22 years old
    Height: 170cm/5"7
    Start Weight: 105kg/231lbs
    Current Weight: 96.5/212lbs
    Goal Weight: 70kg/155lbs (maybe, haven't decided yet)
    Currently on 138 consecutive days logged

Areas I can hopefully help with: logging accuracy, plateau recommendations, food ideas, macro advice, some exercise advice, supportive remarks and sarcastic fun banter.

I really don't like having friends who don't interact often, i.e, commenting on each other's updates, or at least liking things frequently. If you want me to mentor you, send me a friend request with some information about you!

:smiley:
  • carbbarbarian
    carbbarbarian Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm a 19-year-old guy from Finland who has come a long way, mostly with intermittent fasting and generally cutting calories. I guess guys around my age get the best experience, but I'm willing to help anyone who asks for help. I don't know how to advertise myself so just be brave and contact me :) Intermittent fasting is my field of expertise, and at the moment I'm trying to get into ketosis.
  • CEM764159
    CEM764159 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a mentor that can help with significant weight loss.
    I'd like someone who checks my food diary and can offer advice on improving/changing foods or macros.
    I'd like someone who can help with exercise. In regards to how often, what type etc.
    someone who can kick my butt into gear and can help keep me accountable.

Anyone want the job???
  • loverunbefit
    loverunbefit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'd like to volunteer as a mentor!

Even at only 19 years old, I have tried to lose weight so many times, with no success. About 9 months ago, I decided to get serious not just about losing weight, but about my health. I've lost 28kg (60 pounds). I've been a vegan for 4 years, vegetarian for 6, and have recently started re-incorporating eggs into my diet.

Having been very overweight myself (and still on my own journey!) I feel I'm extremely supportive, non-judgmental and understanding.

I love a laugh and having fun, but working hard and dedication is essential to weight-loss, health and happiness!

I'd like to take mentor one or two of you, as I want to give you my time; when you feel like you're about to binge, or you're falling of the wagon, I will be there 24/7 to help you through it.

:smile:

• CoolGirl826
    CoolGirl826 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon!!! Shannon here! I'm in desperate search of a mentor. I have been toying with the same 10lbs since November. I would love the chance to have some one hold me accountable.
  • sasasasa1
    sasasasa1 Posts: 29 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone :) im in desperate need of a mentor! i have no idea what i'm doing, and i've failed alot of times, i also live overseas so i dont have alot of things here (like quinoa haha), and ive got bad low thyroid (dont produce enough) AND PCOS so my metabolism is absolutely shot... so im DEFINETLY a bit of a challenge, BUT i*REALLY* want to suceed this time and would love some help and guidance and motivation !
  • luvmybabeez
    luvmybabeez Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a mentor. For me it always ends up that I am the supporter but never supported and a mentor would really help me gain back some of the confidence I once had in myself before my three babies. Please message me if you are willing and able to assist me. Please see my profile for a more in depth view into who I am. <3
  • JoMMartinez
    JoMMartinez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My name is Joni and would really like a mentor to help me out on my lifestyle change.
  • candacemckeone
    candacemckeone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My name is Candace - wondering if someone wants to help me out w weight loss - have beenough steadily gaining since I turned 40 despite exercise and a healthy diet - I have chronic migraines that affect my life - I am a hard worker in all that I do - just haven't figured this weight thing out and my goal would be to - Feel Good About My Body!
  • Annoula29
    Annoula29 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi, my name is Annie I am 49 years old. I am 160 cm tall and weight 97kilos (5.3in, 214lb) I have tried and tried repeatedly to use weight but my success is always temporary. I have been a member for a while but now I have decided to take it seriously and log every day.
    I live in Athens, Greece and I cook for my family every day. I do Pilates with a personal instructor twice a week and I go to the swimming pool three times a week. Please add me, I would really like to have a mentor or a friend on this journey, someone who knows what this is all about.
  • bucksterboo
    bucksterboo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Annie,
    I am 49 and live in the US (Iowa).
    2 years ago I weighed a little over 230lbs and I am 5.5 inches tall. I lost 80 plus pounds and slowly gained a little of the weight I had lost back, and now I am working on getting it off.
    I could use another supportive MFP friend! You can add me if you'd like to! Lois
  • DianaMaeC
    DianaMaeC Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    cadownham wrote: »
    Hello

I would be happy to mentor a newbie.

My name is Carol and I am 67 years old, I am an administrator for the NHS although at the moment I am between jobs. I have logged onto MFP every day for the last 20 months and have lost 42lbs, I am a slow loser so have now learnt to live with the fact that it's not going to happen overnight. I have also increased my activity and use a fit bit to track my steps taken each day and this has increased three fold.

If you need a mentor please drop me a line and tell me about yourself

Good luck. carol

• DianaMaeC
    DianaMaeC Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    so far you are the only post that I relate to --- I am Diana a 64 year old retired nurse - you would think with the profession I was in I would be knowledgeable on nutrition and be fit - however in that life style I found myself eating on the run and usually grabbing what ever looked good and was quickly available and it was often high carb or high sugar junk food -- as a result I have been moderately over weight my entire life -- how ever problem did not get bad until I got older and mobility problems started and it has been a constant battle to keep weight in check -- I was diagnosed with MS in 2013 and now out side the home I use a cane / walker / and sometimes a scooter so my ability to exercise is limited -- married 43 years with 3 children and 5 grandchildren -- I babysit my youngest 1 year old grandson full time so that does add some activity in my life -- lost over 60 lbs in 2013 to 14 on a low carb diet plan -- but found it too restrictive on food and gave it up and have gained most of that weight back - now trying to eat sensibly on regular foods and watching calories -- would love your help and input
  • Kasymira
    Kasymira Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey my name is Cassie and I am new to MFP. I am 20 years old and weight 187lbs. I have been exercising and trying to eat right for the past few months but this will be my first time to type it down. My goal is to be 130lbs, but once I get to it I also want to maintain it. I am a stay at home wife. So I have a lot of free time. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this. :)
  • janeees
    janeees Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! im new here.. my name is janice. I would love someone to mentor me and motivate me to get started. I'm 5'5, 150lbs, 26 years old. My goal weight would be 120lbs. I'm hoping theres someone who could mentor me :smile:
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Happy to Mentor 1 or 2 people assuming we have similar goals and expectations.

Personally i'm much like most of the mentors on here. I started out at 152Kg(334b) and am now down to 101.9kg((224lb)as of 24/8/15) with around 5-10kg to go.

I'm a 34yo Male living in london, UK.

Even at my biggest I was still relatively active enjoying going out for 2+ hour bike rides.

I've now taken that love of cycling quite a few steps further and turned it into 3 ironman, 1 half Ironman, 2 marathons and countless Half marathon finishes.

I'm Looking for either male or Female MFP'ers who have either a similar level of weight loss to go with athletic goals or have achieved the weight loss and now want to transfer that into achieving something they never thought possible when bigger.

I promise you I will tell you the truth regardless of weather its what you want to hear. I wont be rude but I can ver very blunt.

I'm a firm believer in a very basic system of 'Calories in, Calories out' when it comes to weight loss. There is no secret to it.

So if you think
  • JankyBrant
    JankyBrant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Happy to Mentor 1 or 2 people assuming we have similar goals and expectations.

I don't know if you've received responses to this yet, but I'd be interested. I'm in Oklahoma, U.S. 27 years old. 277lbs trying to get down to around 240ish. Started working out and trying to find hobbies that involve more activity. Anyway, if you have the time I'd love a mentor. Just anything thing to keep me motivated.
This discussion has been closed.