Let's Talk Steaks

Options
AglaeaC
AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
edited December 2014 in Food and Nutrition
The thread on eating in restaurants led to some interesting contributions on steaks, so let's talk steak.

What cut(s) is(are) your preference?
How do you prepare it usually?
How do you prepare for just a few people versus for a bunch?
Do you prefer the oven or a Dutch oven like Le Creuset on the stovetop?
Do you marinate?
Other tips and comments?
Or merely want to declare your steak love?

I'm particularly interested in the more affordable cuts that can be taken to new heights in recipes such as bœuf bourguignon!

ETA
Should this be in recipes? Might have had a brain fart, sorry.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I prefer cowboy steaks (ribeye) and I remove it from the fridge at least 30 minutes before grilling. Dry it. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt, let it sit then grill on a hot cast iron grill on the stovetop. Yum.
    I only do it for up to 4 people cause that's all I can handle.
    If we grill outside, hubby does it but that's rare cause we live on the 48th floor of a high rise apt.
    Medium rare of course!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think it fits just fine in the Food section

One of my favorites Porterhouse preferably done in my cast iron skillet

steak1.jpg
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Oh, yes, photos are more than welcome! Yum!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    #1 Ribeye on the grill - lightly smoked with a little hickory and mesquite
    followed by:
    #2 Prime Rib in the oven (or, if you prefer it's other name, rib roast)

Seasoning for both is very simple - salt, pepper, garlic powder

IMHO this cut of meat is the juiciest, most tender of all of the steaks.

If you demand a butter-based topping for the steak - make it the day before so the flavors have time to meld...think how day old chili tastes so much better than freshly made chili.

Porterhouse, sirloin, tenderloin, NY Strip, T-Bone, flank, skirt, etc. all have their virtues, but ribeye has all of them.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    The thread on eating in restaurants led to some interesting contributions on steaks, so let's talk steak.

I'm particularly interested in the more affordable cuts that can be taken to new heights in recipes such as bœuf bourguignon!

ETA

This is more about cuts of beef rather than a steak cut. Anyway, in order of preference I like ribeye, porterhouse, striploin and tenderloin. I generally don't muck with these guys and use salt mostly and maybe some Montreal steak spice and a hot fry pan. Oh, and a good compound butter

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What's a steak?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm a big proponent and promoter of buying my steaks a good week to a few weeks before I want them, and then age them up. I prefer to buy in the bag, so to speak. Get a bagged primal and wet age it. However, I've been playing with a new method where I'll melt up some butter, rub the meat all over with it then dry age the meat in the bottom of the fridge.

Then from there, I like simple cook methods, and salt, pepper. Occasionally a nice red wine/butter/garlic mop. Or a maitre d'Hotel butter.

A nice 2-3" porterhouse is my jam, seared until internal temp is about 120F-130F. Max. Maybe less.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My husband got a dear this year, so I am eating venison steaks often. I just rub them with salt and pepper and fry on the stovetop till medium-rare. Then rest a few minutes under Al foil. Maybe I'll get some ideas from this thread. I've never even heard of steak ageing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It's just like hanging your deer, ducks, goose, grouse for a week before processing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

What cut(s) is(are) your preference?
    How do you prepare it usually?
    How do you prepare for just a few people versus for a bunch?
    Do you prefer the oven or a Dutch oven like Le Creuset on the stovetop?
    Do you marinate?
    Other tips and comments?
    Or merely want to declare your steak love?

ETA

A good, well aged rib eye is my favorite. I just season with some coarse black pepper and grill.

For something like boeuf bourguignon I just use chuck...it is the best stewing meat.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I decided to eat the first my Omaha Steaks and tried something new.
    This is Filet mignon with a mushroom marsala gravy, Yukon gold mashed potatoes, sautéed green beans and baked asparagus. I have to say it was really good. And not just because I made it.

diSRuyO.jpg?1

2KBELXy.jpg?1

Foodgasm. Did you make the mushroom marsala gravy from scratch? If yes, I need the recipe!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    My favorite cut is a ribeye. It is very forgiving when it comes to cooking due to the fat content in it. Which also means it has a lot of flavor! I prefer to cook mine in a hot skillet with butter to medium rare. I also love them grilled, but I can't have a grill in my apartment. I do not marinate or put anything but salt and pepper on it. I want my steak to taste like steak.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love me some steak! Sirloin and ribeye are mostly what I eat though I do love a good t-bone. We have a smokeless grill we can use indoors and we don't season it at all. I don't like seasonings that cover the taste of the meat and I like mine medium rare.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ribeye, rare, salt and pepper. Anything else is too much to me.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    What's a steak?

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm a big proponent and promoter of buying my steaks a good week to a few weeks before I want them, and then age them up. I prefer to buy in the bag, so to speak. Get a bagged primal and wet age it. However, I've been playing with a new method where I'll melt up some butter, rub the meat all over with it then dry age the meat in the bottom of the fridge.

Then from there, I like simple cook methods, and salt, pepper. Occasionally a nice red wine/butter/garlic mop. Or a maitre d'Hotel butter.

A nice 2-3" porterhouse is my jam, seared until internal temp is about 120F-130F. Max. Maybe less.

i read this twice. and my mouth watered both times!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I love you people!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I do a filet mignon, marinate it in brown sugar and A1 sauce for a few hours, broil it. Serve it with a big dollop of butter on top.

It's...delicous.
  • DaveTimeKeeper
    DaveTimeKeeper Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    beautiful steak pictures guys you make be hungry!

I can afford beef of any kind right now, but at my house there are two great choices,

1 totally and utterly raw, raw enough to still hear the faint moo,

2 sprinkle garlic salt and smoke flavoring on it and just brown the outside for .5-1min in a really hot pan

I cook all the food for my family so I do know a lot of good ways to cook food, those are just my favorites
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cuts, in this order: tenderloin, strip, porterhouse
    Grilled... always grilled.
    Generally only for myself, occasionally for a small group/family.
    No marinade, only salt and pepper, maybe a little olive oil.

IMO, if a steak needs more than salt and pepper, it's either poorly prepared, poorly cut, or both.