Let's Talk Steaks

Options

Replies

• MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    Options
    My favorite cut is NY strip.

I take it out at least an hour before I cook it and sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Then I either put it on a very hot grill (600ish degrees) briefly so the outside is browned and seared while the inside is still very rare or I brown both sides in a smoking hot cast iron skillet with butter.

For beef in recipes, like my steakhouse beef stew, I always use use London broil because it is lean but still tender. I also love to make garlic roast beef with it.

For this you just take a large cut of London broil, cut slits in it and stuff those with slices of fresh garlic, then apply kosher salt and fresh pepper to both sides. Allow to sit out for an hour so it reaches room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350. Then, briefly sear both sides in butter in a cast iron skillet and place the skillet in the oven until the internal temperature is 130 (for rare, higher if you want it more well done)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hanger steaks
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rump, marinaded in olive oil, salt and cracked pepper.

Cast iron skillet and rare.

Only for myself as my partner is vegetarian.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, as mentioned above, you have to take it out and let it warm up first prior to cooking.

Anyone like making big roasts? Steaks are easy. Now a perfect standing rib roast is altogether a touch more challenging... ;)
  • MayTehSporksBeWithYou
    MayTehSporksBeWithYou Posts: 47 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    oh yeah, as mentioned above, you have to take it out and let it warm up first prior to cooking.

Anyone like making big roasts? Steaks are easy. Now a perfect standing rib roast is altogether a touch more challenging... ;)

I don't do big roasts mostly because of the potential for having a lot of leftovers of fatty beef since we're not a big family. The lower fat content is why I prefer making smaller amounts of roast beef out of top round roast (mostly sold as London broil).

When I do occasionally want a fatty cut of beef, I'll have a steak ;)

Although I have been known to make a great prime rib for big family gatherings.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Hanger steaks

Ding, ding, ding!!!

l.jpg

^^Hanger steak with roasted fingerlings, brussels, and sauce Robert^^

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I like a small tbone steak. I don't know why, I think it's because i don't have them very often. I say small because I struggle to eat a big one. I like it grilled with garlic butter.
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i like any steak and i get the best cut i can get for a budget, most of the time there are good deals at my local store. skillet fry very light oil for me, no marinade cook on the spot with some simple seasoning, matter of fact i had steak an hour ago lol
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Cuts, in this order: tenderloin, strip, porterhouse
    Grilled... always grilled.
    Generally only for myself, occasionally for a small group/family.
    No marinade, only salt and pepper, maybe a little olive oil.

IMO, if a steak needs more than salt and pepper, it's either poorly prepared, poorly cut, or both.

Tenderloin is extra yum. How do you figure poor cutting affects the taste? Do you mean the original, larger piece, or a cut for an individual steak from the tenderloin not being perpendicular to its surface? Total meat noob here.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I had steak last night for the first time in a long time! This one was a filet, on sale at the butcher, grilled just.shy of medium rare. I usually do salt, pepper and a little garlic powder but last night I tried a Cabela's steak rub which had coarse salt, pepper, granulated garlic and minced onion.

I also love a ribeye or especially a Saratoga Ribeye (all the marbling and flavor but trimmed and rolled in black peppercorns). I also like.a.flank steak sliced thin amd served with chimichurri sauce.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Damn a steak sounds so damn good!!!!!
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yum, yum!! Also, thanks, good people, for not pointing out that I misspelled "deer" as "dear" :) It was in the same sentence with "my husband", so... Freudian slip, I guess...
  • dbmata
    Options
    Relevant to the discussion, I currently have a 1# new york steak in the bottom of my fridge. It's been rubbed with browned butter, and will be pan seared then finished in my fireplace tomorrow night.

*I hope.*
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Relevant to the discussion, I currently have a 1# new york steak in the bottom of my fridge. It's been rubbed with browned butter, and will be pan seared then finished in my fireplace tomorrow night.

*I hope.*

Good luck with protecting the steak during the night. So good of you to share the exact location of it in the fridge. Minimum sound that way.
  • dbmata
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

*I hope.*

Good luck with protecting the steak during the night. So good of you to share the exact location of it in the fridge. Minimum sound that way.

I'm armed. My dog is armed. My cat has three human kills.

Do you feel lucky?

heh. God I wish that was my dog.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

*I hope.*

I'm armed. My dog is armed. My cat has three human kills.

Do you feel lucky?

heh. God I wish that was my dog.

I have mad breaking and entering skillz, consider you and that army of yours warned. I'm silent and invisible. I don't need luck, luck is for steak-thieving sissies.
  • dbmata
    Options
    hahahaha. Make it to the kitchen unscathed. I'll make one for you.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    hahahaha. Make it to the kitchen unscathed. I'll make one for you.

YESSS! Your menu suggestions here and also to Minx have me in a state of constant drooling.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Either today or tomorrow I'm picking up a ribeye primal which I'll wet age, I think. I have too many meat projects right now. However, I'd love to try butter poaching and then giving a hard sear with a torch.

Seems legit, right?
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Either today or tomorrow I'm picking up a ribeye primal which I'll wet age, I think. I have too many meat projects right now. However, I'd love to try butter poaching and then giving a hard sear with a torch.

Seems legit, right?

Seriously, put food in front of me and I'll eat it. If you're nice, I'll give an honest review at the end. While I suck at cooking, I know what tastes good. Have you read The Flavour Thesaurus? Might pique your interest.