Let's Talk Steaks

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have not, is it a cookbook or food writing? I'm currently going through a pollan book.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I have not, is it a cookbook or food writing? I'm currently going through a pollan book.

Niki Segnit. She has combined flavours in pairs in new ways. Since she's done the testing for you, you can simply look for one ingredient and read her ideas for matches. Hard to describe, but they are often unexpected.

Harold McGee is probably right up your alley, too. I think he was a chemist or physicist first before becoming a scientific food writer. All about what happens to the steak during preparation :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Either today or tomorrow I'm picking up a ribeye primal which I'll wet age, I think. I have too many meat projects right now. However, I'd love to try butter poaching and then giving a hard sear with a torch.

Seems legit, right?

http://searzall.tumblr.com/
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Relevant to the discussion, I currently have a 1# new york steak in the bottom of my fridge. It's been rubbed with browned butter, and will be pan seared then finished in my fireplace tomorrow night.

*I hope.*

Post pictures! The butter poach/sear sounds interesting and delicious too.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    The thread on eating in restaurants led to some interesting contributions on steaks, so let's talk steak.

What cut(s) is(are) your preference?
    How do you prepare it usually?
    How do you prepare for just a few people versus for a bunch?
    Do you prefer the oven or a Dutch oven like Le Creuset on the stovetop?
    Do you marinate?
    Other tips and comments?
    Or merely want to declare your steak love?

I'm particularly interested in the more affordable cuts that can be taken to new heights in recipes such as bœuf bourguignon!

ETA
    Should this be in recipes? Might have had a brain fart, sorry.

I'm a huge fan of prime rib. Only my college student budget isn't. I honestly get whatever cut is on sale. I got a half pound of NY strip for $3 since its sell by date was today, so those will be cooked up tonight and tomorrow!

Sometimes I marinade with whatever bottle marinade is on sale, but I've taken to preparing it with a Cambodian marinade for loc lac, which is a beef/chicken dish. It uses oyster sauce, a little ketchup, fresh lime juice, pepper, sliced garlic, and soy sauce as well.

Since I don't have access to a grill currently, I've found that wrapping it up in tinfoil and baking it in the oven is perfect.

I would also like to declare my steak love in this thread.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Either today or tomorrow I'm picking up a ribeye primal which I'll wet age, I think. I have too many meat projects right now. However, I'd love to try butter poaching and then giving a hard sear with a torch.

Seems legit, right?

Interesting. I'm planning on getting a sous vide unit tomorrow, otherwise I'd hunt up that thing they're got on their propane bottle.

Update on the steak situation. I'll get some pictures, but bought a 19 pound ribeye primal (boneless), and since it's in a vac bag already, going to wet age it for a few weeks then break it out to about 22 or so steaks. Then I'll vac pack them again. I'm thinking some of them might get a butter treatment prior to packing, then if there is a sous vide, boom. Cook in the bag, and then sear prior to serving.
  • dbmata
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

Niki Segnit. She has combined flavours in pairs in new ways. Since she's done the testing for you, you can simply look for one ingredient and read her ideas for matches. Hard to describe, but they are often unexpected.

Harold McGee is probably right up your alley, too. I think he was a chemist or physicist first before becoming a scientific food writer. All about what happens to the steak during preparation :)

Harold definitely sounds up my alley. With the folks I know, some play can be had.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    skirt steak
    picania
    portorhouse
    ribeye
    - occasionally I'll deign to eat a filet- but meh.
    -
    I'm mostly disappointed consuming all other cuts of meat at this point in my life.

I'm officialy a steak snob. straight up butter- S/P- sometimes Adba or whatever i'ts called- but we don't get crazy- a good cut of meat cooked well doesn't need a whole lot of addeds.

Okay- to be fair- I WILL eat a london broil- but I don't like them- I only get them when I'm sick of eating chicken and down them in marinade for 3 days and then eat them practically raw.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Speaking of practically raw beef...
    Bò Tái Chanh is my favorite thing in the entire world.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Seems legit, right?

Interesting. I'm planning on getting a sous vide unit tomorrow, otherwise I'd hunt up that thing they're got on their propane bottle.

Update on the steak situation. I'll get some pictures, but bought a 19 pound ribeye primal (boneless), and since it's in a vac bag already, going to wet age it for a few weeks then break it out to about 22 or so steaks. Then I'll vac pack them again. I'm thinking some of them might get a butter treatment prior to packing, then if there is a sous vide, boom. Cook in the bag, and then sear prior to serving.

It's interesting how meat is allowed to hang for different lengths of time here in Europe. The longer it can hang/age, the more tender it gets. The first-quality cuts of ours are the absolute best in my opinion, because our week amount is around six I think. If it weren't that long like elsewhere (only three or so weeks max), or if one were to choose other cuts, I imagine the wet aging would come in very handy. On some cooking-contest show there was this one guy who wanted to sous vide everything and it was hilarious :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sous vide is a good tool, but in the hands of an oaf it is overdone. I've been doing it hillbilly style for a while, I'd like a legit unit finally.

The longer you let it hang, the more tender it gets. You can also get a little of this from an enzyme you find in papaya.

Here in the US in general, I think beef is generally sub 1 week old when it gets to the market. Just too young for a good flavor, which is why even supermarket beef gets damn good after aging.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    At home? Rib eye or New York, grilled, medium rare. Bleu cheese on top- Yum!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sous vide is a good tool, but in the hands of an oaf it is overdone. I've been doing it hillbilly style for a while, I'd like a legit unit finally.

The longer you let it hang, the more tender it gets. You can also get a little of this from an enzyme you find in papaya.

Here in the US in general, I think beef is generally sub 1 week old when it gets to the market. Just too young for a good flavor, which is why even supermarket beef gets damn good after aging.

I have a sansaire immersion circulator, works well. I'll use a 4.75 gal cambro for large or long cooking projects and just a pot if it's something like chicken breast.

• ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I buy chuck steak, use salt and pepper and some cajun spice and then I broil it in the toaster oven. i like mine rare. Yuuuuuuum!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    wdzq4uqkxsgr.jpg

We just had steaks last night!

What cut(s) is(are) your preference? My favorite is filet mignon but a close second and third is Ny strip and ribeye.

How do you prepare it usually? Usually run with McCormicks Montreal steak seasoning and let it sit for a bit and the. Grill. I like mine cooked medium rare!

How do you prepare for just a few people versus for a bunch? Grill for sure

Do you prefer the oven or a Dutch oven like Le Creuset on the stovetop?
    an enamel skillet works fine but I prefer a cast iron skillet if I'm doing it stove top.

Do you marinate? See above

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Fillet steak (UK) rubbed with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper,

• 3laine75
    Options
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of flat iron and beef tenderloin (which I cut into my own fillet mignon).

That said, I did a standing rib roast for Christmas and we feasted on some amazing medium rare prime rib that evening.
  • 3laine75
    Options

Seems legit, right?

I'm such an amateur :(

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

Seems legit, right?

I'm such an amateur :(

if it's delicious and you get to eat it still- then no.

I'm not fussy- we cook on cast iron- and that's it. No special anything- butter little garlic salt and maybe sea salt.

it's tasty- makes me happy. that's all that matters :D