Let's Talk Steaks

Options

Replies

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I ain't fraid of no ghost, or sending it back if not precisely as ordered.

I am leery of sending stuff back at restaurants -- even nice ones. The ONLY time I will do that is if the server can clearly see that what I ordered isn't right and then they're the ones sending it back, not me. There have been plenty of times where the server looks, says "That's not how you ordered it." and proceeds to take it back for me.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Cuts, in this order: tenderloin, strip, porterhouse
    Grilled... always grilled.
    Generally only for myself, occasionally for a small group/family.
    No marinade, only salt and pepper, maybe a little olive oil.

IMO, if a steak needs more than salt and pepper, it's either poorly prepared, poorly cut, or both.

This! I love to taste my meat, not the sauce/marinade it has been cooked/dipped in.

Never had a porterhouse, but Tenderloins and NY Strips are staples in my house.
    Cooked Med-Rare... More on the rare side :smiley:
    Only cook for my family of 4. Never others.
    I could eat steak everyday! Love it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I pretty much only order rare at this point- because at generic chains/stations- odds are they will over cook it- and even if it's medium rare- I'll still take it.

There was this steakhouse in Cheyenne, WY I went to once. I ordered a porterhouse blue, and asked for a little montreal steak seasoning on top, because why not. Had never had it before.

Comes out to the table, still room temp in the middle, perfect. The expediter shows up, takes the plate. They forgot the steak seasoning, so refired the whole damn thing. 5 minutes later a new steak with the seasoning appears and a written apology from the grill guy.

I was like whoa... they take steak more serious than I.

that's impressive.

It has to be REALLY bad for me to send it back- like REALLY bad.
    I don't mind telling them- but I'll still eat it usually- my brother's a chef- I know better- secondly I hate wasting food.

I was somewhere once- and I lied about the steak to the bus person who brought it out and my actual waitress saw the look on my face when I took a bite and came over and said- no really- how is it- I was like dude look at this- it's well done- and I asked for medium rare/rare. She sent it back for me and said they need to learn- they sent me another one that was still like medium- not anywhere near pink- it was embarrassing for them.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    The thread on eating in restaurants led to some interesting contributions on steaks, so let's talk steak.

I'm particularly interested in the more affordable cuts that can be taken to new heights in recipes such as bœuf bourguignon!

ETA
    Should this be in recipes? Might have had a brain fart, sorry.

What cut(s) is(are) your preference? We usually get a tenderloin or boneless ribeye and have them precut into 4-6oz steaks
    How do you prepare it usually? If I cook it just for me I rub it with avocado oil and tiny bit of salt and pepper and throw it on the george foreman grill. If my husband makes it he covers it in all sorts of junk and stays in the kitchen for hours until he emerges with a pretty steak and a plume of smoke.
    How do you prepare for just a few people versus for a bunch? If it's more than the two of us, he will grill it on an outdoor grill.
    Do you prefer the oven or a Dutch oven like Le Creuset on the stovetop? We have a cast iron dutch oven, I would not have thought to use it for steak. I must try that. I use the sad plug in grill, my husband sears it on the stovetop in a cast iron grill skillet and finishes it in the oven.
    Do you marinate? I don't like to, it takes aways from it's meat taste.
    Other tips and comments? There are a ton of different rub recipes around, some of them work well, some really don't. I hate to see a good steak ruined by a bad rub, but I suppose experimenting is how you find what works.
    Cheap cuts of beef can be helped by tenderizing and adding in extra fat. The best burger I've had was made by someone who ground up a cheaper sirloin with stick butter in the food processor.

Also there's always schnitzel, there's no cut of meat that some jaeger sauce and mushrooms won't help.

Or merely want to declare your steak love? Steak and I are platonic friends, I'm more of a seafood lover.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I am leery of sending stuff back at restaurants -- even nice ones.
    I know a good deal of still active cooks.

Why would you be leery? Or I guess a better question is, why would you eat at a place where you would be leery? ;)

If I'm going to sit down and pay $50, $75, or more for a piece of meat, and I order it wrong. It's on me. If I order it a particular way, am told that it's not a problem, and then don't receive what I requested, I'm not going to be so daft or wasteful of my own resources to keep it, and have a less than optimal dining experience.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ah schnitzel. I love that approach to meat. "Hans, our meat is tough, what should we do?"

"Wilhelm, use my hammer. I'll prepare the flour and oil."
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I am leery of sending stuff back at restaurants -- even nice ones. The ONLY time I will do that is if the server can clearly see that what I ordered isn't right and then they're the ones sending it back, not me. There have been plenty of times where the server looks, says "That's not how you ordered it." and proceeds to take it back for me.

I was told by my neighbor who worked at a steakhouse, that they would purposely undercook steaks and want you to send it back to have it cooked longer. That way, they are not wasting meat by overcooking.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    rhenry2424 wrote: »

I was told by my neighbor who worked at a steakhouse, that they would purposely undercook steaks and want you to send it back to have it cooked longer. That way, they are not wasting meat by overcooking.

I wish they would not do that! It drives me crazy when I want to enjoy my food and some waiter will stand there and insist that we 'cut into it and check the temperature' before they leave.

I've never sent anything back, I will either eat it or leave it and not go back if it's messed up badly enough.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Why would you be leery? Or I guess a better question is, why would you eat at a place where you would be leery? ;)

If I'm going to sit down and pay $50, $75, or more for a piece of meat, and I order it wrong. It's on me. If I order it a particular way, am told that it's not a problem, and then don't receive what I requested, I'm not going to be so daft or wasteful of my own resources to keep it, and have a less than optimal dining experience.

difference between a 20 $ steak and a 75$ steak- odds are the 75$ steak is going to come out closer to on point than a 20$ steak. If my 75$ steak comes out over cooked- I'm probably going to point it out.

If my 20$ steak comes out a little more over cooked- I'm not sending it back- I have zero expectations for a great meal.

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Ribeye for me, or tenderloin... medium rare to medium... Simply rubbed with some olive oil and sprinkled with some salt and pepper (fresh cracked). If it's a THICK steak, then I'll marinade it in some Dale's marinade that's diluted with a little olive oil.
  • dbmata
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

difference between a 20 $ steak and a 75$ steak- odds are the 75$ steak is going to come out closer to on point than a 20$ steak. If my 75$ steak comes out over cooked- I'm probably going to point it out.

If my 20$ steak comes out a little more over cooked- I'm not sending it back- I have zero expectations for a great meal.

Eh, even at $20 I'd send it back. Then again, I make sure I'm pretty chill about it, point it out, I say my please and thank yous. It's not the server's fault, etc.

I wouldn't send it back if it's the $8 steak and egg special at circus circus though.

There's times I wish I'd me more like my grandpa, but I remember this one time. We got kicked out of a restaurant because after two refires, they still didn't get his meal right, so he went into the kitchen and started yelling at the manager, expediter, and several cooks because they were taking good food and effing it up like a bunch of morons.

Was hilarious to watch. Little old man getting angry and scaring people with righteous fury. We went there a few more times before he kicked off, and they always made sure his order was perfect, so he'd tip well.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options

They would rather have an unsatisfied guest every time than have food cost go up? That is not a smart way to run a restaurant..
  • dbmata
    Options

They would rather have an unsatisfied guest every time than have food cost go up? That is not a smart way to run a restaurant..
    I'd call it a mediocre steak house.

When I worked in that niche, every plate was perfect, or it was your hind end.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options

Because regardless of how nice the restaurant is there is always the chance of someone spitting in your food?

And I'm not being 'daft' or wasteful of resources. As I stated in many instances it is the server who has seen that the food is done improperly -- as they either saw it as we cut into it or we called them over to see it -- and they are the ones who say that they will take it back and they will tell the chef. I trust the servers at the restaurants I frequent to know that they're not going to screw with my food. Other places I'm not so trusting. Also I make it a point of letting new people know that I am not one to send back food for obvious reasons.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Gosh I love a black and blue steak, havent had one in years!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I love steak but hardly ever eat it, too expensive. Still, I'll buy one as a splurge or in restaurants.
    What cut(s) is(are) your preference?
    Discussing cuts is tricky, each country has different names and cuts. I tend to prefer less fatty meat. Tenderloin is generally a safe choice, but I've had delicious steaks of every cut except t-bone.
    How do you prepare it usually?
    Rare or medium rare, blood is welcome but no blueness. I prefer grilled but prepare it in a skillet because no grill...

For tender cuts, I like to almost burn one side then flip it and cook the other side slowly on a small fire. That way I get some crispness on one side, plenty of blood but still cooked.

ETA : Montreal steak spice is da bomb, or just salt and pepper. Oregano can be nice. Not a big fan of olive oil (in general) to be honest.
    Do you marinate?
    Been meaning to try, heard it's a good way to use cheap cuts, but no.
    I'm particularly interested in the more affordable cuts that can be taken to new heights in recipes such as bœuf bourguignon!
    For though cuts I cut in thin strips and stir fry. Semi-tough I wrap in bacon.

Been meaning to try marinading and stewing as well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Because regardless of how nice the restaurant is there is always the chance of someone spitting in your food?
    Then you aren't going to nice places.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ate the new york, wasn't able to get a picture. The browned butter didn't do much, I did cook it "ducasse" style. I don't like that method being attributed to him, but whatever.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    Then you aren't going to nice places.

Um, okay.