Let's Talk Steaks

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Either today or tomorrow I'm picking up a ribeye primal which I'll wet age, I think. I have too many meat projects right now. However, I'd love to try butter poaching and then giving a hard sear with a torch.

Seems legit, right?

I'm such an amateur :(
    Naw, don't judge off of me, I used to be a pro, now I'm just a pro-am mucker.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Sous vide is a good tool, but in the hands of an oaf it is overdone. I've been doing it hillbilly style for a while, I'd like a legit unit finally.

The longer you let it hang, the more tender it gets. You can also get a little of this from an enzyme you find in papaya.

Here in the US in general, I think beef is generally sub 1 week old when it gets to the market. Just too young for a good flavor, which is why even supermarket beef gets damn good after aging.

I have a sansaire immersion circulator, works well. I'll use a 4.75 gal cambro for large or long cooking projects and just a pot if it's something like chicken breast.

Any tips or ideas you have, I'd dig. Any books for research as well.

I have this in the mail:
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/polyscience-sous-vide-professional-creative-series/
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Rib eye. Grilled, salt, pepper, a little onion powder.
    The only beef I eat now (since being on MFP) is rib eye steak.
    Well worth the calories and a culinary treat for me now.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The thread on eating in restaurants led to some interesting contributions on steaks, so let's talk steak.

What cut(s) is(are) your preference? - Rib Eye or New York Strip
    -
    How do you prepare it usually? Grilled. BLUE please! (It is SO HARD to get restaurants to figure this one out)

How do you prepare for just a few people versus for a bunch? Grilled. And depending on how they want theirs cooked ours usually go on last

Do you prefer the oven or a Dutch oven like Le Creuset on the stovetop? Grill
    Do you marinate? Nope. Maybe throw on some Montreal Steak seasoning but typically nothing

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So goddess- I think I'm reading you like your steaks grilled?

is that right? did I read between the lines correctly?
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So goddess- I think I'm reading you like your steaks grilled?

is that right? did I read between the lines correctly?

LOL. Yes. :p

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Sous vide is a good tool, but in the hands of an oaf it is overdone. I've been doing it hillbilly style for a while, I'd like a legit unit finally.

The longer you let it hang, the more tender it gets. You can also get a little of this from an enzyme you find in papaya.

Here in the US in general, I think beef is generally sub 1 week old when it gets to the market. Just too young for a good flavor, which is why even supermarket beef gets damn good after aging.

I have a sansaire immersion circulator, works well. I'll use a 4.75 gal cambro for large or long cooking projects and just a pot if it's something like chicken breast.

Any tips or ideas you have, I'd dig. Any books for research as well.

I have this in the mail:
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/polyscience-sous-vide-professional-creative-series/

For longer cooking projects, use tinfoil to cover the cambro.

As for vacuum sealing things, you have 3 options, use baggies, a foodsaver type vacuum or the much more expensive chamber vacuum sealer which can seal liquids. Honestly I prob use baggies most often, it's quick and easy and cheap

Books wise, Under pressure from Thomas Keller, the modernist cuisine and modernist cuisine at home books

http://www.cookingissues.com/primers/sous-vide/

https://www.chefsteps.com/classes/sous-vide-cooking/landing
    http://www.chefsteps.com/sous-vide-collection

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-pastrami
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    For Christmas dinner, my dad brought a 4 pound tenderloin roast (we only ended up cooking 2.5 pounds of it). We did a rub with salt, pepper, Beau Monde seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Cooked it on high temperature (450 degrees) for 10 minutes in the oven; then turned down to 330 and cooked for an additional 40 minutes (my oven is a convection, so it cooks a bit faster than a regular oven). It was probably the best meat I have ever had in my entire life. He paid a lot for it, though, got it at a market in Rhode Island for $25 per pound. Worth every penny. I have three large tenderloin steaks left that I cannot wait to cook Wednesday night :smiley:
  • dbmata
    Options
    I have a sealer, and an eye on a chamber sealer one of these days. Depends on if I ever get back into catering or not.

I was thinking of making up a neoprene insulator for the cambros I will use, and then yeah, a little aluminum for a lid is a great idea.

Checking those links and books, thanks.

GoA - I've learned that if they don't understand blue, they may know the term Cleveland. Which should not be confused with a variant of a steamer.
  • JoRocka
    edited December 2014
    Options
    so I had to double check "blue" I was pretty sure I knew what it was- but it lead me to this article... which I'm wildly amused at currently

http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/2007/06/05/how-to-cook-a-blue-steak/

edit- I'm interested because what he posts as a "blue" steak I would have just considered rare.

Blue to mean is much more raw looking than that- but perhaps- it's b/c I have different steaks- so the consistency looks different... if mine are "blue" the meat isn't even pink- it's purple almost. hence- the term (which I accurately thought)- blue.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Hm, that's a rare steak. He don't know what the blue be, cap'n.

A nice rare new york with some thick yummy thighs. That's a dinner.

• dbmata
    Options
    I'm not actually sure on the internal temp for a blue steak, 110? 100?

the-mckirdy-s-steakhouse.jpg
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Maybe 110... By the time you put the thermometer in it's already done
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The thread that keeps on giving... And nobody is fighting either for once. *lets out a pleased sigh*
  • JoRocka
    Options

Agreed.

also- interesting- Pittsburgh- black and blue- also a term. - which is either warm or cold internal- internal temp isn't relevant honestly- it's raw inside- and charred outside.
    - talking about a min on each side essentially.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options

By time you take it out of the package it's already done! LOL.

If I find a waiter who doesn't know blue I'll ask to talk to the chef (which there is one place where the chef still can't get it right so I don't bother ordering steak) OR I'll just flip my hand back and forth, make a sizzling noise and say "done". At least though if you order it blue and it they overcook it it's *sort of* edible, meaning it's not well done.
  • JoRocka
    Options

By time you take it out of the package it's already done! LOL.

If I find a waiter who doesn't know blue I'll ask to talk to the chef (which there is one place where the chef still can't get it right so I don't bother ordering steak) OR I'll just flip my hand back and forth, make a sizzling noise and say "done". At least though if you order it blue and it they overcook it it's *sort of* edible, meaning it's not well done.

heh.

I pretty much only order rare at this point- because at generic chains/stations- odds are they will over cook it- and even if it's medium rare- I'll still take it. I won't eat medium and lower though.

I had a friend order it this way
    " leave it on the grill for the bare minimum of legal cook time on each side- however many seconds- then bring it to me" Seems to be the right way to express to them the way she wanted it. I like the hand flip sizzle sizzle thing- that might do the trick. Everyone understands that!
  • dbmata
    Options

Agreed.

also- interesting- Pittsburgh- black and blue- also a term. - which is either warm or cold internal- internal temp isn't relevant honestly- it's raw inside- and charred outside.
    - talking about a min on each side essentially.

That's how I would do them over the mesquite grill we used back when I was pro. Now it's a little longer on the stove, but yup. I was looking at my weber last night, and wondering how it would do with a few firestones in it and a blower to get the heat up, see if I could hit a 700-800F grill temp.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I pretty much only order rare at this point- because at generic chains/stations- odds are they will over cook it- and even if it's medium rare- I'll still take it.
    I ain't fraid of no ghost, or sending it back if not precisely as ordered.

There was this steakhouse in Cheyenne, WY I went to once. I ordered a porterhouse blue, and asked for a little montreal steak seasoning on top, because why not. Had never had it before.

Comes out to the table, still room temp in the middle, perfect. The expediter shows up, takes the plate. They forgot the steak seasoning, so refired the whole damn thing. 5 minutes later a new steak with the seasoning appears and a written apology from the grill guy.

I was like whoa... they take steak more serious than I.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    what little I read a lot of places can't get hot enough to do a proper black and blue- never really considered the temp of the range honestly- I'm kind of just a "get it done" kind of person_ i wonder if I can figure out the temp on my gas stove with the cast iron on it. BF dearest turns out decent steaks on it- we don't have an outside grill (YET!) -so all on the cast iron inside.