Sweets when bulking?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Wow.
    I think you guys missed completely where was coming from with that post. For one thing, I'm not referring to health in terms of weight management (I know this thread was about bulking, but that wasn't in the context of my previous post).

Maybe some of you don't care about other measures of health, but there's a lot more to health than just weight management.

Also, you guys are bringing up situations like if one is starving, when you need to increase calories in a bulk, etc. I never stated that a brownie is never a better choice than broccoli. But what you guys are saying are not general situations. You guys are talking about specific situations that just don't apply to the general population. The average person I know is not bulking, eating to a specific macro nutrient split, etc. I don't understand how you all took what I said and completely missed the general context of it.

Like what? Because much of it is linked to improvement in weight and body composition.
    Body composition would be more so the key as opposed to just weight. But things such as blood glucose levels, HDL, blood pressure. I know from being around other people that high blood pressure is possible in the absence of being overweight or even having too much body fat.

Yes, it's possible... There are always outliers. However, many of those factors improve given weight reduction or body comp changes positively speaking.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    My comment about weight and health was in response to ndj's post, which was all about weight control. His post made it seem like weight control was everything.

Some of you probably have a better diet than me (depending on how you view it), but I'm guessing most of you probably eat better than the average American.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like taking the time to calculate the exact amount of micronutrients in one of my normal sized brownies, but I can guarantee that for most micronutrients it won't come anywhere close to anything noteworthy (like 3 mg of magnesium, when the recommended amount is 400 mg.) Can brownies help get me to my goal? Yes. Will it make any kind of dent? Absolutely not.

Neither will brocolli in my magnesium requirement, or my leucine requirement - a brownie will however do a better job.

Context.......
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Cndpsny.jpg

This made my day :)
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    OP here. One more quick question: I'm assuming the same thing goes for alcohol? As long as I'm hitting my macros and keeping my calories in check, all's good right?

By the way, thanks for all the help everyone. Even with all the debate and arguing, y'all have actually been super helpful and have forced me to do a lot of research myself as I prepare for my bulk.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    OP here. One more quick question: I'm assuming the same thing goes for alcohol? As long as I'm hitting my macros and keeping my calories in check, all's good right?

By the way, thanks for all the help everyone. Even with all the debate and arguing, y'all have actually been super helpful and have forced me to do a lot of research myself as I prepare for my bulk.

A few beers or the odd glass of wine here and there really will not make any significant impact - assuming that it does not impact your performance at the gym. It is not beneficial to gym performance like, say a brownie can be - so just be mindful.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

A few beers or the odd glass of wine here and there really will not make any significant impact - assuming that it does not impact your performance at the gym. It is not beneficial to gym performance like, say a brownie can be - so just be mindful.

I don't know about that - first time I got 3 chin-ups in a row I was a tad tipsy =D
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is 7 calories per gram. When factoring it into your overall macros, some take the approach of substituting either their carbs or fats, depending on which one you have more of to spare (with beer, I'll track both the carbs and alcohol content as carbs). Obviously it's not an exact, but its one way of tracking.

As @sarauk2sf stated, be mindful of your performance in the gym.
  • Wiz_Fit
    Wiz_Fit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sweets are fine, I would say no more than 20-25% of your total carbs should come from sugar though.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I've pulled Deadlift PR's when hungover before. What say you science?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

I don't know about that - first time I got 3 chin-ups in a row I was a tad tipsy =D

I have great single beer workouts- must be the carbs LOL.
  • iknighten
    iknighten Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    iknighten wrote: »
    Thanks to all that stated I was wrong in my information, I've been bamboozled! I did some research and came across this article, that shed some light on why many said I was wrong; but didn't give supporting documentation of why I was wrong. Instead of just saying a person is wrong, show that person the error of his or her ways and let that person make a decision of which way they should go, or believe. Check out the article, it may better inform you, as it did me.

http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/

Well, it's not often we manage to convert a 'clean' eater =D

Don't get me wrong, your dedication is impressive and if you've built your physique/bulked over the years on 'healthy' food, hats off to you. Just a lot of us couldn't manage that volume of food (and you don't really need to) and deprive ourself of foods we enjoy.

e.g. Once you're happy with your overall nutrition for the day, you might have 250 cals left (and you're bulking so you've got to have them). You could have a serving of brown rice at 265 (c56 f2 p5) or a snicker at 245 (c26 f13 p5) - I'm all about the snicker :)

It'd be interesting to know, if you start incorporating sweets, if you notice any differences. Personally, I've only tried it this way (I'd call it moderate) but I wouldn't rule out taking a 'cleaner' approach if I thought I'd get drastically better results. I hope not as it's miserable enough eating mostly clean during cutting time (to stave of hunger mostly) - I think it'd take a lot of the fun out of bulking.

Yes, over the years I built the physique, but definitely at a sacrifice of foods I love. It is a pain to consume the volume of food, and definitely more expensive. The only good thing about eating 'clean' is the revisit of the same foods and tracking made easy since I ate the same thing everyday; which may be a pain for some who needs variety. However, It made grocery shopping easier, get in and get out.

Cutting was indeed miserable, that's when the cravings hit the hardest. I'll keep you posted on my transition, in a different thread. This one has been beat up, my apologies fitness pals. :blush:

• DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    .*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all that stated I was wrong in my information, I've been bamboozled! I did some research and came across this article, that shed some light on why many said I was wrong; but didn't give supporting documentation of why I was wrong. Instead of just saying a person is wrong, show that person the error of his or her ways and let that person make a decision of which way they should go, or believe. Check out the article, it may better inform you, as it did me.

http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/

Well, it's not often we manage to convert a 'clean' eater =D

Don't get me wrong, your dedication is impressive and if you've built your physique/bulked over the years on 'healthy' food, hats off to you. Just a lot of us couldn't manage that volume of food (and you don't really need to) and deprive ourself of foods we enjoy.

e.g. Once you're happy with your overall nutrition for the day, you might have 250 cals left (and you're bulking so you've got to have them). You could have a serving of brown rice at 265 (c56 f2 p5) or a snicker at 245 (c26 f13 p5) - I'm all about the snicker :)

It'd be interesting to know, if you start incorporating sweets, if you notice any differences. Personally, I've only tried it this way (I'd call it moderate) but I wouldn't rule out taking a 'cleaner' approach if I thought I'd get drastically better results. I hope not as it's miserable enough eating mostly clean during cutting time (to stave of hunger mostly) - I think it'd take a lot of the fun out of bulking.

Yes, over the years I built the physique, but definitely at a sacrifice of foods I love. It is a pain to consume the volume of food, and definitely more expensive. The only good thing about eating 'clean' is the revisit of the same foods and tracking made easy since I ate the same thing everyday; which may be a pain for some who needs variety. However, It made grocery shopping easier, get in and get out.

Cutting was indeed miserable, that's when the cravings hit the hardest. I'll keep you posted on my transition, in a different thread. This one has been beat up, my apologies fitness pals. :blush:

meh- I eat the same things all the time too- we don't eat as much variety as we like to kid ourselves- my "junk" food is the same stuff all the time too- logging just is not the chore people make it out to be no matter which way you tend to eat.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Wow.
    I think you guys missed completely where was coming from with that post. For one thing, I'm not referring to health in terms of weight management (I know this thread was about bulking, but that wasn't in the context of my previous post).

Maybe some of you don't care about other measures of health, but there's a lot more to health than just weight management.

Also, you guys are bringing up situations like if one is starving, when you need to increase calories in a bulk, etc. I never stated that a brownie is never a better choice than broccoli. But what you guys are saying are not general situations. You guys are talking about specific situations that just don't apply to the general population. The average person I know is not bulking, eating to a specific macro nutrient split, etc. I don't understand how you all took what I said and completely missed the general context of it.

You're honestly hopeless lol

I really enjoyed how you tried stating you have better health markers based on test results from "a few years ago".

Please stop posting. You're doing no one any good.

If you'd like to compare panels to see which of us has a healthier diet I'd be happy to oblige and we will see just one of us is more knowledgeable about nutrition.

I have a strong feeling me and my daily brownies are much healthier than you.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dude, this thread had been dead for a little while. I don't know how you guys can state with such confidence that your health markers are better simply based off the fact that I'm technically underweight (which I think does have some genetic influence). Sure, some of you may have better levels of some things, but that's an awfully bold (and probably incorrect) statement to say that every single health marker is worse for me.

I'd be curious about the diet comparisons, but that would drag the thread too far off topic.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    In on zombie thread.

Not everything is so simple. The basic idea is correct... Calorie surplus =gains.

But, speaking from experience, a clean bulk gives the more desired 1 to 1 fat to muscle ratio gains than a dirty bulk on the same calorie surplus. A calorie is a calorie, a unit of measurement, but how that calorie translates once ingested can be vastly different depending on the source. 100 calories from alcohol also comes with the added inflammation in the liver, a slower metabolism and sluggish kreb cycle, an auto immune response, decrease in protein synthesis etc. excess sugar can cause similar responses.

But none of this matters unless you are at an elite level and need that extra 1% advantage to squeak out a win. I personally prefer a clean bulk. Maybe the extra fat from a dirty bulk is minimal, but I don't like to cut any longer than I absolutely have to. I'm a raving *kitten* while cutting and my husband doesn't appreciate it.

• beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Dude, this thread had been dead for a little while. I don't know how you guys can state with such confidence that your health markers are better simply based off the fact that I'm technically underweight (which I think does have some genetic influence). Sure, some of you may have better levels of some things, but that's an awfully bold (and probably incorrect) statement to say that every single health marker is worse for me.

I'd be curious about the diet comparisons, but that would drag the thread too far off topic.

Because it's evident based on your posts that you're very misinformed about what is "healthy" and what is not.

EVERY marker may not be better, but I am highly confident my overall health is much greater than yours.

Bewides, you're the one who originally made the claim/assumption you were in better health than another memver...but haven't had labs done in in a few years...so you obviously have no clue what your markers look like.

I'm simply calling your bluff because I know you can't back it.