Sweets when bulking?

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Rule #1 : If someone is telling you that an individual food is either "healthy" or "unhealthy", without reviewing the overall context of your daily dietary intake...you should proceed to ignore any further advice that person provides.
    This doesn't make sense. The nutritional content of a food doesn't change regardless of the overall composition of one's diet. Obviously, adding a couple cookies to a diet rich in whole foods versus a diet already loaded with cake, chips, ice-cream, etc. is different, but that doesn't change the healthiness of the food.

It does make sense. The point is that individual foods in isolation do not tell you the quality of the overall diet. If you're going to evaluate nutrient sufficiency (and other factors like energy balance, satiety, performance, etc) you look at the entire diet, you do not look at foods eaten in isolation.

There are contexts in which adding ice cream to a diet will do more good than adding green beans or broccoli. There are also contexts in which the opposite is true.
    I get that, but I think I was just looking at it differently. I don't think there is anything wrong with adding something like brownies to an already healthy diet, but doing so doesn't all of a sudden make brownies a health food.

Explain how brownies are an "unhealthy" food.

Bare in mind, this means have VALID evidence to support your claims.

Peer-reviewed research, legitimate nutritional journals, etc. are valid.
    Magazine articles, t.v. reports, and the like, are not.
    You're joking, right? I'm talking about a typical brownie, not ones with added things like beans, oats, etc.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 : If someone is telling you that an individual food is either "healthy" or "unhealthy", without reviewing the overall context of your daily dietary intake...you should proceed to ignore any further advice that person provides.
    This doesn't make sense. The nutritional content of a food doesn't change regardless of the overall composition of one's diet. Obviously, adding a couple cookies to a diet rich in whole foods versus a diet already loaded with cake, chips, ice-cream, etc. is different, but that doesn't change the healthiness of the food.

It does make sense. The point is that individual foods in isolation do not tell you the quality of the overall diet. If you're going to evaluate nutrient sufficiency (and other factors like energy balance, satiety, performance, etc) you look at the entire diet, you do not look at foods eaten in isolation.

There are contexts in which adding ice cream to a diet will do more good than adding green beans or broccoli. There are also contexts in which the opposite is true.
    I get that, but I think I was just looking at it differently. I don't think there is anything wrong with adding something like brownies to an already healthy diet, but doing so doesn't all of a sudden make brownies a health food.

You're joking, right? I'm talking about a typical brownie, not ones with added things like beans, oats, etc.

But once again you HAVE to consider context.

There are legitimate scenarios where a brownie will be a much better choice than green vegetables.

• beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options

I'm entirely serious.

Please answer the question and provide VALID research/evidence to support your statement.

That doesn't mean simply saying "Brownies are unhealthy", that's not evidence, that's your personal (and incorrect) opinion.

• beastcompany
    Options

There are legitimate scenarios where a brownie will be a much better choice than green vegetables.

Eh, I wouldn't waste anymore time bothering with it.

It's evident based upon his clear attempt to avoid directly answering the question, that he has no basis for his claims other than what he's read in magazines or heard on the television.

• ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I personally am a believer that there's never such thing as an "unhealthy food", just unhealthy quantities of foods.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    I personally am a believer that there's never such thing as an "unhealthy food", just unhealthy quantities of foods.

Which is the correct belief.

You sound like you have the knowledge to understand the proper aspects of nutrition, and determine which posts offering advice are accurate.

Best of luck to you.

• ForecasterJason
    Options

I get that (believe me, I can certainly understand that since I am trying to do a slow bulk). Brownies certainly trump broccoli in this scenario. But regardless of whatever else I eat for the day, it doesn't change the fact that broccoli will give me a lot more micronutrients than a brownie will.

• ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »

Which is the correct belief.

You sound like you have the knowledge to understand the proper aspects of nutrition, and determine which posts offering advice are accurate.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks man! And side note: thank you for serving our country!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I get that (believe me, I can certainly understand that since I am trying to do a slow bulk). Brownies certainly trump broccoli in this scenario. But regardless of whatever else I eat for the day, it doesn't change the fact that broccoli will give me a lot more micronutrients than a brownie will.
    omg please say you aren't doing this right now.

micornutrients in the grand scheme are totally not that relevant.

if you eat a variety of food- you'll hit your micro nutrients just fine- its' like comparing the micros of captain crunch to a snickers bar to a pile of veggies.
    It's NOT RELEVANT- it's such a specious tiny argument it's just ridiculous.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    PS- I reach for a snickers for a prework out before I reach for a bag of veggies.

seriously- bang for buck a snickers wins hands down.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Yes but the context is different. Since this is the gaining section, a brownie will have much more calories per gram than broccoli will. So in THAT context, it's a much better choice. Not to mention fats and other various things that a gainer (or everyone) might need
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

One of my favorite quoted from Eric Helms seems relevant here "Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food!"

Also, more is not necessarily better.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Forecasterjason: here you go,

http://www.organicauthority.com/health/most-nutrient-dense-healthy-foods-on-earth.html

That's a wee joke for you btw, I'm not citing it as scientific evidence - just had a wee google 'micronutrients chocolate v brocolli' just sayin' =D
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

if you eat a variety of food- you'll hit your micro nutrients just fine- its' like comparing the micros of captain crunch to a snickers bar to a pile of veggies.
    No worries, I'm not and I usually do eat a relatively wide variety of food. But to be honest, aside from potatoes most days I'm nowhere close to what experts would recommend in terms of vegetables. It's generally just a serving of carrots or broccoli, and some days none at all.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    PS- I reach for a snickers for a prework out before I reach for a bag of veggies.

seriously- bang for buck a snickers wins hands down.

I don't know you. But I like you.
    I'd even share my Snickers bar with you...okay, not really...but I'd at least buy one for you too.

• JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with brownies & ice cream (except that I currently have none...might have to remedy that shortly).
  • JoRocka
    Options

No worries, I'm not and I usually do eat a relatively wide variety of food. But to be honest, aside from potatoes most days I'm nowhere close to what experts would recommend in terms of vegetables. It's generally just a serving of carrots or broccoli, and some days none at all.

well that's your fault.

not the brownies.
    I don't know you. But I like you.
    I'd even share my Snickers bar with you...okay, not really...but I'd at least buy one for you too.

this is why you buy the king size- one to save for later- or one to share with your friend if you are going to lift ;)

:) I had snickers pre dance class last night- granted- I ate the egg first- but seemed that the egg pre-rehersal and the snickers pre dance movement did the trick.

might try that again. carbs- proteins- fats- win win everywhere.
  • iknighten
    iknighten Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all that stated I was wrong in my information, I've been bamboozled! I did some research and came across this article, that shed some light on why many said I was wrong; but didn't give supporting documentation of why I was wrong. Instead of just saying a person is wrong, show that person the error of his or her ways and let that person make a decision of which way they should go, or believe. Check out the article, it may better inform you, as it did me.

http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    iknighten wrote: »
    Thanks to all that stated I was wrong in my information, I've been bamboozled! I did some research and came across this article, that shed some light on why many said I was wrong; but didn't give supporting documentation of why I was wrong. Instead of just saying a person is wrong, show that person the error of his or her ways and let that person make a decision of which way they should go, or believe. Check out the article, it may better inform you, as it did me.

http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/

^^ Armi puts out really solid material. I'd also recommend this article and his other material. Great resource.