Sweets when bulking?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    iknighten wrote: »
    @LolBroScience... I'm sorry my posts have offended you or others. If I am or have misinformed anyone; and you have/are or know the Holy Grail to Bodybuilding and Nutrition, please enlighten me and share your knowledge, so that I can be better informed and achieve a physique such as yours. (Sarcasm). By the way, I love the trolling, I think it's awesome!! LOL!

Also, most of us that have been in the fitness game have been misinformed over the years with Bro Science and the personal "Know it all" handbook of fitness, and will continue to be misinformed; due to the advances of science and subject testing, wither personal or group trial laboratory testing. Experience, trial and error is the best teacher. But, somehow; I believe you have figured all this out. So save me the embarrassment, please let me in on the secret. Enquiring Minds want to know. #umadbro?

Kind Regards,

Mr. Misinformed

Quality of calories has no impact on body composition. You are in a caloric surplus, you are going to gain fat regardless. The only factor that would limit the amount of fat gained would be the amount of surplus.

The same goes for your comment regarding the cardio as a method to combat "dirty foods" taken in through an IIFYM approach. Cardio would help by reducing the amount of overall surplus, that's all.
  • LolBroScience
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out. The "Bro Science" in my post is just that, Bro Science. Man, you can eat what you want, If it fits your macros, and the your training is on point, then yes you can put on quality muscle, but keep in mind if you eat the fattier foods you will increase your chance of gaining fat as well. I know the aim is to gain mass/weight etc. However, I would still do cardio 15-20 mins of cardio or shorten the rest period between lifting sets to combat/minimize the fat gain that will be associated with the so called not so healthy food choices included in the if it fits your macros diet.

replenish glycogen stores with your post workout meal or shake, you can include the sweet stuff; pixy stix, pinapples, Ice cream and fruity pebbles if you like for an insulin spike to supply nutrients to the muscle.

If you are eating high protein, you will want to keep up your fiber up to keep you regular, unless you want to dump bricks. LOL

Lower GI foods, is said to last longer so you stay fuller longer. Again you can eat what you want as long as you stay in your calorie range. I just prefer to eat a little cleaner, due to I want to walk around with a little abs showing. I've done it the old school Bro Science way and fit your macros way. I just prefer to eat a little cleaner because it's more work getting off the unwanted fat. In my opinion, why put on all the mass if you can't take your shirt off at the pool etc. Plus being 6 ft and over 250 lbs is hard finding clothes to fit. But it's the trade off if you want to be big.

See my above comment regarding the first bolded section.

The second bolded part is subjective.

The lower GI food portion is irrelevant too since you are not eating carbohydrates in isolation presumably. You're eating it as an overall meal. None of it ends up making a difference if calories are held constant. Not to mention, OP says only about 20% of intake would come from his sort of caloric intake.
  • iknighten
    iknighten Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Noted, and thank you. In your experience, since a surplus is a surplus; do you look better eating what you want or eating strict? Is it easier or harder to cut? I personally find eating cleaner is better for me and less of an effort in the cutting phase.

The bolded comments are my personal experience. Off season, I walk around between 240 and 250 at 6 ft. tall. Being sedentary and basically doing nothing at all I fluctuate around 228 and 230 lbs. I have to wear 3x shirts and 44" waist pants to fit my quads, even though my waist is 38". So that comment is not subjective, its factual in my case and buying dress clothes is the worst, which is why it's a trade off of the lifestyle.

That's why I stated early on, take what I said with a grain of salt; and do your own research and experiments. I knew there would be others that would debunk/debate what I wrote, again this is "my" experience and a suggestion to those who care to hear/read it. Thanks again, the mission is to inform and build better relationships in the fitness community. Everyone has an opinion, some may be valid and some may need to be corrected or better explained.

I wish you well in all that you do, live and love life and just do you, cause that's what I'm going to do. "Keep Pushing"
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    I don't notate how I look eating one way or another. I have my caloric goal and my macro targets, and I am within +/-3g of each every day. Any sort of effect that could cause me to look "different" would only really be temporary anyway, such as water retention, bloating, etc.

I do make sure to get the vast majority of intake from nutrient dense sources and to hit my micros as well for overall health and wellness, and to some degree "performance".

In a surplus, hunger isn't ever an issue really so it never impacts my adherence.

As for cutting, I think it depends on the individual. Nutrient dense foods are obviously more satiating as they typically tend to be more dense in volume and lower in calories... thus "more bang for your buck". However, if you're someone who is able to adhere despite hunger pangs or other issues, it boils down to the same effect.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    The bolded comments are my personal experience. Off season, I walk around between 240 and 250 at 6 ft. tall. Being sedentary and basically doing nothing at all I fluctuate around 228 and 230 lbs. I have to wear 3x shirts and 44" waist pants to fit my quads, even though my waist is 38". So that comment is not subjective, its factual in my case and buying dress clothes is the worst, which is why it's a trade off of the lifestyle.
    That is definitely a valid point. I'm a very skinny person (though with low body fat), but that's one reason why I don't plan on building a huge amount of muscle. One issue I've found is that clothes in general are simply not made for people who have lower than average body fat. Even at my size, I've had issues with some shirts not being fitted properly between the shoulders and waist (too tight in the shoulders or arms/fitted in the waist or fitted in the shoulders and too loose in the waist). I can only see this issue becoming worse as I get bigger.

• LolBroScience
    Options
    That is definitely a valid point. I'm a very skinny person (though with low body fat), but that's one reason why I don't plan on building a huge amount of muscle. One issue I've found is that clothes in general are simply not made for people who have lower than average body fat. Even at my size, I've had issues with some shirts not being fitted properly between the shoulders and waist (too tight in the shoulders or arms/fitted in the waist or fitted in the shoulders and too loose in the waist). I can only see this issue becoming worse as I get bigger.

Do you think you have the frame to support that size? You said yourself you struggle to get in calories, you don't even have to worry about such a thing. Same goes for the OP, I would bet. Neither of you would make to a point where you need to wear triple X shirts.

Also, pleated pants.
  • iknighten
    iknighten Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    cool. I lift more for performance. Cardio is a must for Martial Arts, Grappling and MMA.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    cool. I lift more for performance. Cardio is a must for Martial Arts, Grappling and MMA.

Yea, and that's cool. Except that is has nothing to really do with the context of what OP was asking...

Nothing wrong with eating nutrient dense foods
    Nothing wrong with cardio

Everything wrong with saying you must do this and that to get "X" effect though.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Do you think you have the frame to support that size? You said yourself you struggle to get in calories, you don't even have to worry about such a thing. Same goes for the OP, I would bet. Neither of you would make to a point where you need to wear triple X shirts.

Also, pleated pants.
    I agree, definitely not to that level. But any increase in my chest/shoulders/arms without any real increase in waist size will magnify the issue I have of my shirts fitting right. Likewise, as it is now my jeans fit nicely on my hips/thighs but are loose around my waist.

• LolBroScience
    Options

Also, pleated pants.
    I agree, definitely not to that level. But any increase in my chest/shoulders/arms without any real increase in waist size will magnify the issue I have of my shirts fitting right. Likewise, as it is now my jeans fit nicely on my hips/thighs but are loose around my waist.

Well yea, it is certainly MORE difficult to find fitting clothes... but it is not impossible.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Also, pleated pants.

Try fitted shirts for normal wear and compression athletic shirts for sports/workouts. I have a 39" chest (unexpanded) and 30.5" waist at the belly button and have a nearly 10" drop on my suits (I wear 30 dress paint and 28 jeans) so I'm familiar with those issues but it's not the end of the world.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just to slightly hijack this thread, since it has just come up a few times, any suggestions on brands of t-shirts to fit wide shoulders and tiny waists? My 18 y o son is a swimmer, 6 ft tall, 140-150 lbs of solid muscle w/ 8 pack. Wide shoulders, 29" waist. Anything that does't pull a lot in the shoulders is a dress on him.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Totally fine. Just keep it under control. Bear in mind that when you eat sweets you are pretty much eating only calories. In most cases. Some sweets actually have some nutritional value. Dark chocolate for instance is swimming in anti-oxidants. And Ice cream is actually quite high in soluble fibre. However all the things found in sweets can be found elsewhere with less attached calories. Life is, however .. for living. So feel free to fill up some calories with treats. Just make sure you get all the necessary nutrition in first. Because if sweets take the place of protein or essential fat that will hamper your muscle growth. If not stall it altogether.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    RHachicho wrote: »
    Totally fine. Just keep it under control. Bear in mind that when you eat sweets you are pretty much eating only calories. In most cases. Some sweets actually have some nutritional value. Dark chocolate for instance is swimming in anti-oxidants. And Ice cream is actually quite high in soluble fibre. However all the things found in sweets can be found elsewhere with less attached calories. Life is, however .. for living. So feel free to fill up some calories with treats. Just make sure you get all the necessary nutrition in first. Because if sweets take the place of protein or essential fat that will hamper your muscle growth. If not stall it altogether.

Thank you! And thank you to everyone else as well for y'all's advice! Didn't mean to start a debate haha
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Hey Ryan,

I would definitely not do what you are describing, in reference to adding the ice cream and brownies every day. You will defeat the purpose of quality gains and just add fat; which you will spend more time trying to lose the fat to show off the hard earned muscle and work you put in getting the physique you desire. Yes, you will put on weight, but not the weight you want, it will be all fat with minimal muscle gain. If you want to have sweets, look for more healthy snacks, such as making your own ice cream using whey protein, and frozen fruit; which will require a food processor, or a good blender. you can do the same for your brownies. Check out the attached links. Hope this helps.

-Isaiah

Man, it must be embarrassing to have your first post be this bad. I wouldn't even want to post again, ever. Maybe go with a new account and pretend this never happened?

Best.Reply.Ever
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You should be fine with eating some sweets as long as your not eating say 1/2 of your daily calories in sweets. This might be just for me but when I do eat them they start showing in my abs first then work their way around the body ( Talking about fat ). I don't eat many sweets because they're empty calories and serve no purpose for me. IKnight is partially right. But this is in a GAINING Thread so I guess Gaining weight is your goal then sweets will do it for sure.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You should be fine with eating some sweets as long as your not eating say 1/2 of your daily calories in sweets. This might be just for me but when I do eat them they start showing in my abs first then work their way around the body ( Talking about fat ). I don't eat many sweets because they're empty calories and serve no purpose for me. IKnight is partially right. But this is in a GAINING Thread so I guess Gaining weight is your goal then sweets will do it for sure.

No, @IKnighten is completely wrong. Not to beat a dead horse, but his advice shouldn't be considered correct in the least bit. And the only part of YOUR statement that makes sense is the advice on nutrition - one should focus on micronutrient dense foods as a majority of one's diet. So yes, micronutrient deficient foods shouldn't be the majority of one's diet, but no one in this thread is suggesting that. While you might consider them empty calories from a nutritional standpoint, "sweets" definitely serve a purpose, probably moreso in overall mental health and a balanced approach and relationship with food. The fact is, in a bulk or cut, "sweets" can be included in one's overall macro and caloric goals. In a bulk, there is more room to fit "sweets".

Weight gain is determined by caloric surplus, not food type.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I see the bro scientists have already hijacked this thread…