Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    iknighten wrote: »
    Hey Ryan,

I would definitely not do what you are describing, in reference to adding the ice cream and brownies every day. You will defeat the purpose of quality gains and just add fat; which you will spend more time trying to lose the fat to show off the hard earned muscle and work you put in getting the physique you desire. Yes, you will put on weight, but not the weight you want, it will be all fat with minimal muscle gain. If you want to have sweets, look for more healthy snacks, such as making your own ice cream using whey protein, and frozen fruit; which will require a food processor, or a good blender. you can do the same for your brownies. Check out the attached links. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiSNdMsFKmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXIg-Hmcq0

-Isaiah

THAT"S NOT HOW THIS WORKS!!!!

THAT"S NOT HOW ANY OF THIS WORKS!

I'd be actually interested in a high protein brownie or ice cream though. Especially if the calorie count per gram is lower than a "normal" brownie or ice cream snack.

They make protein ice cream I think- it's horrible. I'd just look up protein recipies with protein powder- I'm absolutely positive they exist- we have protein pancakes- surely someone has made protein brownies.

and yes- burger + beer.

Winning.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hey Ryan,

I would definitely not do what you are describing, in reference to adding the ice cream and brownies every day. You will defeat the purpose of quality gains and just add fat; which you will spend more time trying to lose the fat to show off the hard earned muscle and work you put in getting the physique you desire. Yes, you will put on weight, but not the weight you want, it will be all fat with minimal muscle gain. If you want to have sweets, look for more healthy snacks, such as making your own ice cream using whey protein, and frozen fruit; which will require a food processor, or a good blender. you can do the same for your brownies. Check out the attached links. Hope this helps.

-Isaiah

I'd be actually interested in a high protein brownie or ice cream though. Especially if the calorie count per gram is lower than a "normal" brownie or ice cream snack.

They make protein ice cream I think- it's horrible. I'd just look up protein recipies with protein powder- I'm absolutely positive they exist- we have protein pancakes- surely someone has made protein brownies.

and yes- burger + beer.

Winning.

Halo Top ice cream. Vanilla Bean is pretty good actually...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I have heard good things about Halo Top- from you and someone else- I think there is a place in Trenton that sells it- need to go visit when I'm not being obscenely lazy.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    1 pint is only 280 calories 12f/48c/28p. Get off your butt and find it lol
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    Hey Ryan,

-Isaiah

This. Or what this world really needs is high-protein, low-calorie beer.

Beer and a burger. You're welcome :)

But it would have to be a light beer. Ugh
  • JoRocka
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

HA!

1 pint is only 280 calories? I would totally take that.

I'm going today after work- I promise- studio is closed- I have no obligations :D
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

When I see macros like that on ice cream, I have to question the taste and price in comparison to real ice cream. I guess I need to find this stuff and make a judgement for myself.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Halo Top is the only one I've ever heard people rave about- multiple times- so apparently it's time to stop being so lazy- I could get my daily calories in this ice cream then and hit my min protein goals- I see this as a potential WIN!

Arctic ice apparently was complete crap.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I eat sweets daily, regardless of bulking or cutting, and look better than 95% of the people out there spreading *kitten* about how they're "unhealthy".

Rule #1 : If someone is telling you that an individual food is either "healthy" or "unhealthy", without reviewing the overall context of your daily dietary intake...you should proceed to ignore any further advice that person provides.

Arrogant? Maybe.
    True? Yup.

The proof is in the pudding OP.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Keep control of your total calories and you'll be fine.

Dirty Bulk is dictated by the amount of caloric surplus, not the diet.

^ Basically this.

This assumes that you do mean moderation as you said in your original post. Keeping a small percentage of total calories as "discretionary" and meeting nutrient needs (micro and macro) with the rest of your diet is a proven strategy.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 : If someone is telling you that an individual food is either "healthy" or "unhealthy", without reviewing the overall context of your daily dietary intake...you should proceed to ignore any further advice that person provides.
    This doesn't make sense. The nutritional content of a food doesn't change regardless of the overall composition of one's diet. Obviously, adding a couple cookies to a diet rich in whole foods versus a diet already loaded with cake, chips, ice-cream, etc. is different, but that doesn't change the healthiness of the food.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This doesn't make sense. The nutritional content of a food doesn't change regardless of the overall composition of one's diet. Obviously, adding a couple cookies to a diet rich in whole foods versus a diet already loaded with cake, chips, ice-cream, etc. is different, but that doesn't change the healthiness of the food.

It does make sense. The point is that individual foods in isolation do not tell you the quality of the overall diet. If you're going to evaluate nutrient sufficiency (and other factors like energy balance, satiety, performance, etc) you look at the entire diet, you do not look at foods eaten in isolation.

There are contexts in which adding ice cream to a diet will do more good than adding green beans or broccoli. There are also contexts in which the opposite is true.
  • beastcompany
    Options

Actually, it makes perfect sense if you take the time to read & comprehend the post + understand the basics of nutrition and fact that there is no individual food that is neither "healthy" or "unhealthy" as a stand-alone item.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

once again, you are incorrect....
  • beastcompany
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

once again, you are incorrect....
    Isn't it interesting how the 'Men's Health', nutritional gurus, are also the ones who are often AVI-less and have no proof of proper application of their "knowledge".
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

It does make sense. The point is that individual foods in isolation do not tell you the quality of the overall diet. If you're going to evaluate nutrient sufficiency (and other factors like energy balance, satiety, performance, etc) you look at the entire diet, you do not look at foods eaten in isolation.

There are contexts in which adding ice cream to a diet will do more good than adding green beans or broccoli. There are also contexts in which the opposite is true.
    I get that, but I think I was just looking at it differently. I don't think there is anything wrong with adding something like brownies to an already healthy diet, but doing so doesn't all of a sudden make brownies a health food.

• beastcompany
    edited December 2014
    Options

I get that, but I think I was just looking at it differently. I don't think there is anything wrong with adding something like brownies to an already healthy diet, but doing so doesn't all of a sudden make brownies a health food.

Explain how brownies are an "unhealthy" food.

Bare in mind, this means have VALID evidence to support your claims.

Peer-reviewed research, legitimate nutritional journals, etc. are valid.
    Magazine articles, t.v. reports, and the like, are not.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

If you only ate a serving of vegetables and nothing else, it doesn't mean you have a healthy diet either.
  • beastcompany
    Options

If you only ate a serving of vegetables and nothing else, it doesn't mean you have a healthy diet either.

Funny how that, if we were simply comparing the two items (a brownie vs a serving of a vegetable), the brownie would be the "healthier" option due to the higher caloric & nutrient content.

Let's see how they enjoy that little fun-fact :p