Sweets when bulking?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I see the bro scientists have already hijacked this thread…

Yeah, you're a tad late buddy.

yea, I see that.

looks like they have already been dealt with..

I am just getting back into the threads after a nice break ..LOL ..

I see nothing has changed...
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    You should be fine with eating some sweets as long as your not eating say 1/2 of your daily calories in sweets. This might be just for me but when I do eat them they start showing in my abs first then work their way around the body ( Talking about fat ). I don't eat many sweets because they're empty calories and serve no purpose for me. IKnight is partially right. But this is in a GAINING Thread so I guess Gaining weight is your goal then sweets will do it for sure.

No, @IKnighten is completely wrong. Not to beat a dead horse, but his advice shouldn't be considered correct in the least bit. And the only part of YOUR statement that makes sense is the advice on nutrition - one should focus on micronutrient dense foods as a majority of one's diet. So yes, micronutrient deficient foods shouldn't be the majority of one's diet, but no one in this thread is suggesting that. While you might consider them empty calories from a nutritional standpoint, "sweets" definitely serve a purpose, probably moreso in overall mental health and a balanced approach and relationship with food. The fact is, in a bulk or cut, "sweets" can be included in one's overall macro and caloric goals. In a bulk, there is more room to fit "sweets".

Weight gain is determined by caloric surplus, not food type.

--Weight gain is determined by caloric surplus, not food type--. I agree, somewhat. Depends on what weight your looking to gain.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You should be fine with eating some sweets as long as your not eating say 1/2 of your daily calories in sweets. This might be just for me but when I do eat them they start showing in my abs first then work their way around the body ( Talking about fat ). I don't eat many sweets because they're empty calories and serve no purpose for me. IKnight is partially right. But this is in a GAINING Thread so I guess Gaining weight is your goal then sweets will do it for sure.

No, @IKnighten is completely wrong. Not to beat a dead horse, but his advice shouldn't be considered correct in the least bit. And the only part of YOUR statement that makes sense is the advice on nutrition - one should focus on micronutrient dense foods as a majority of one's diet. So yes, micronutrient deficient foods shouldn't be the majority of one's diet, but no one in this thread is suggesting that. While you might consider them empty calories from a nutritional standpoint, "sweets" definitely serve a purpose, probably moreso in overall mental health and a balanced approach and relationship with food. The fact is, in a bulk or cut, "sweets" can be included in one's overall macro and caloric goals. In a bulk, there is more room to fit "sweets".

--Weight gain is determined by caloric surplus, not food type--. I agree, somewhat. Depends on what weight your looking to gain.

No, no it doesn't. See multiple replies throughout the thread that the "quality" of food is not a determining factor in body composition.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Please, impress me with your knowledge...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    iknighten wrote: »
    Hey Ryan,

I would definitely not do what you are describing, in reference to adding the ice cream and brownies every day. You will defeat the purpose of quality gains and just add fat; which you will spend more time trying to lose the fat to show off the hard earned muscle and work you put in getting the physique you desire. Yes, you will put on weight, but not the weight you want, it will be all fat with minimal muscle gain. If you want to have sweets, look for more healthy snacks, such as making your own ice cream using whey protein, and frozen fruit; which will require a food processor, or a good blender. you can do the same for your brownies. Check out the attached links. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiSNdMsFKmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXIg-Hmcq0

-Isaiah

THAT"S NOT HOW THIS WORKS!!!!

THAT"S NOT HOW ANY OF THIS WORKS!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    The bolded comments are my personal experience. Off season, I walk around between 240 and 250 at 6 ft. tall. Being sedentary and basically doing nothing at all I fluctuate around 228 and 230 lbs. I have to wear 3x shirts and 44" waist pants to fit my quads, even though my waist is 38". So that comment is not subjective, its factual in my case and buying dress clothes is the worst, which is why it's a trade off of the lifestyle.
    That is definitely a valid point. I'm a very skinny person (though with low body fat), but that's one reason why I don't plan on building a huge amount of muscle. One issue I've found is that clothes in general are simply not made for people who have lower than average body fat. Even at my size, I've had issues with some shirts not being fitted properly between the shoulders and waist (too tight in the shoulders or arms/fitted in the waist or fitted in the shoulders and too loose in the waist). I can only see this issue becoming worse as I get bigger.

oh boo hoo- try being a woman.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    RHachicho wrote: »
    Totally fine. Just keep it under control. Bear in mind that when you eat sweets you are pretty much eating only calories. In most cases. Some sweets actually have some nutritional value. Dark chocolate for instance is swimming in anti-oxidants. And Ice cream is actually quite high in soluble fibre. However all the things found in sweets can be found elsewhere with less attached calories. Life is, however .. for living. So feel free to fill up some calories with treats. Just make sure you get all the necessary nutrition in first. Because if sweets take the place of protein or essential fat that will hamper your muscle growth. If not stall it altogether.

^ this :) sweets keep me sane and makes me happy, I believe as long as you can fit it in your calories, why not.

Good luck bulking!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The bolded comments are my personal experience. Off season, I walk around between 240 and 250 at 6 ft. tall. Being sedentary and basically doing nothing at all I fluctuate around 228 and 230 lbs. I have to wear 3x shirts and 44" waist pants to fit my quads, even though my waist is 38". So that comment is not subjective, its factual in my case and buying dress clothes is the worst, which is why it's a trade off of the lifestyle.
    That is definitely a valid point. I'm a very skinny person (though with low body fat), but that's one reason why I don't plan on building a huge amount of muscle. One issue I've found is that clothes in general are simply not made for people who have lower than average body fat. Even at my size, I've had issues with some shirts not being fitted properly between the shoulders and waist (too tight in the shoulders or arms/fitted in the waist or fitted in the shoulders and too loose in the waist). I can only see this issue becoming worse as I get bigger.

Well if you are just going to play trump cards all day the game won't be any fun! :p
  • JoRocka
    Options

Well if you are just going to play trump cards all day the game won't be any fun! :p

I know- just call me ruin-er of monday forum fun day
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Just to slightly hijack this thread, since it has just come up a few times, any suggestions on brands of t-shirts to fit wide shoulders and tiny waists? My 18 y o son is a swimmer, 6 ft tall, 140-150 lbs of solid muscle w/ 8 pack. Wide shoulders, 29" waist. Anything that does't pull a lot in the shoulders is a dress on him.

Try something meant for either big and tall or young kids. Mexx springs to mind but since I'm not sure what you have in your area.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

please shed lights on these "types" of weight, as I was under the impression there is only one...weight...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Bwahaha another one!

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

[/quote]--Weight gain is determined by caloric surplus, not food type--. I agree, somewhat. Depends on what weight your looking to gain.[/quote]

please shed lights on these "types" of weight, as I was under the impression there is only one...weight...[/quote]

isn't "clean weight" measured in Lbs and "dirty weight" measured in Kgs???? or maybe I have that backwards......

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

jmule24 wrote: »

isn't "clean weight" measured in Lbs and "dirty weight" measured in Kgs???? or maybe I have that backwards......

No, those are standard measurements and have nothing to do with the quality of a bulk. Clean or dirty referes to the relative amounts of fat and muscle gained during a bulk.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Hey Ryan,

I would definitely not do what you are describing, in reference to adding the ice cream and brownies every day. You will defeat the purpose of quality gains and just add fat; which you will spend more time trying to lose the fat to show off the hard earned muscle and work you put in getting the physique you desire. Yes, you will put on weight, but not the weight you want, it will be all fat with minimal muscle gain. If you want to have sweets, look for more healthy snacks, such as making your own ice cream using whey protein, and frozen fruit; which will require a food processor, or a good blender. you can do the same for your brownies. Check out the attached links. Hope this helps.

-Isaiah

I'd be actually interested in a high protein brownie or ice cream though. Especially if the calorie count per gram is lower than a "normal" brownie or ice cream snack.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hey Ryan,

-Isaiah

I'd be actually interested in a high protein brownie or ice cream though. Especially if the calorie count per gram is lower than a "normal" brownie or ice cream snack.

This. Or what this world really needs is high-protein, low-calorie beer.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    Hey Ryan,

-Isaiah

Beer and a burger. You're welcome :)
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    Hey Ryan,

-Isaiah

Beer and a burger. You're welcome :)

MyFitnessPal needs a like button for posts like this!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    TopazCutie wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

Knighten, feel free to come at me bro.

shut up e-thug

Don't thread hi-jack. Why are you in the gaining weight section and a bulking thread?