Sweets when bulking?

Options
Preparing to start my first bulk in the next few weeks, and I just wanted to see wheat everyones' opinion is on having sweets when bulking? I'm not talking about doing a dirty bulk but rather just throwing in some ice cream or brownies every day (maybe equating to about 1/5 of daily caloric intake). How badly can a sweets mess up your fat vs muscle gain ratio if you make sure to do it in moderation?

Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Keep control of your total calories and you'll be fine.

Dirty Bulk is dictated by the amount of caloric surplus, not the diet.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sweets (just about) everyday here, no problems. If it fits your calories and macros, why not? :)
  • iknighten
    iknighten Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey Ryan,

I would definitely not do what you are describing, in reference to adding the ice cream and brownies every day. You will defeat the purpose of quality gains and just add fat; which you will spend more time trying to lose the fat to show off the hard earned muscle and work you put in getting the physique you desire. Yes, you will put on weight, but not the weight you want, it will be all fat with minimal muscle gain. If you want to have sweets, look for more healthy snacks, such as making your own ice cream using whey protein, and frozen fruit; which will require a food processor, or a good blender. you can do the same for your brownies. Check out the attached links. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiSNdMsFKmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXIg-Hmcq0

-Isaiah
  • 3laine75
    Options
    ^^ would you care to describe the scientific process whereby one set of carbs, fat and protein causes fat gain that another set of carbs, fat and protein do not?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Eat away. Keep your cals in check and enjoy.
  • Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ^ this. i've also lost weight eating bacon for lunch and taco bell for dinner. it's a calorie thing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    iknighten wrote: »
    Hey Ryan,

I would definitely not do what you are describing, in reference to adding the ice cream and brownies every day. You will defeat the purpose of quality gains and just add fat; which you will spend more time trying to lose the fat to show off the hard earned muscle and work you put in getting the physique you desire. Yes, you will put on weight, but not the weight you want, it will be all fat with minimal muscle gain. If you want to have sweets, look for more healthy snacks, such as making your own ice cream using whey protein, and frozen fruit; which will require a food processor, or a good blender. you can do the same for your brownies. Check out the attached links. Hope this helps.

-Isaiah

Man, it must be embarrassing to have your first post be this bad. I wouldn't even want to post again, ever. Maybe go with a new account and pretend this never happened?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    While most of Knighten's post may not be right, there's nothing wrong with making your own ice cream and brownies. :)
  • iknighten
    Options
    @3laine75, not to be rude or anything, but you are jacking the thread. Perhaps it would have been better to start your thread/ask your question separately. However, I will do my best to answer your question. First and foremost, I am not a professional as in Dietician etc. but through trial an error, researching and being in the fitness game for quite some time I have learned a few things, and you may take my response with a grain of salt. I recommend you do your research, incase my below response is not satisfactory.

Now to answer your question. When you are speaking of Protein, Carbs and Fats they are all different, but combined are the essentials of a balanced diet.

Proteins - large biological molecules, or macromolecules, consisting of one or more long chains of amino acid residues. Known as the building block of Muscle tissue.

Carbs- Starches, cellulose and sugars. Broken down release energy in the body.

Fats- A Crucial nutrient that we need for normal bodily functions, and it is said without it we will not live. Also, it supplies energy and lubricates the joints.

Part 2 of your question: You have lean proteins, such as chicken (Breast) white meat, Pork Loin, Turkey, Tuna, Fish, Protein powders (Whey, Soy, Casein, Yogurts etc.) and you have your fatty meats, dark meat chicken, thighs, drumstick, fattier cuts of red meat as in ground beef 80/20 or less and some steaks.

You have carbs that are less ideal to consume in reference to dieting, you will fair better results with brown rice, oatmeal, grains, wheat/grain breads, lentils, beans etc. Also, lentils and beans etc. have protein. The Carbs listed above have a timed release of energy, to help you maintain through out the day. Also eat your vegetables for fiber and a carb source.

Consume Healthier fats such as: Olive Oil, Flax seed, walnuts, almonds, fish oil pills- Omega 3's.

Now consuming more than enough of anything will cause weight gain. Portion control is the one thing that get's us all in trouble. The saying less is more is true, to a certain extent. Carbs are not the "bad" food it has the rep to be, hint; the update to myfitness pal macro nutrients etc. Carbs can be bad when again you over eat, same with fat. Carbs and Fat both supply energy. Example, low carb dieting, you lower your carb intake to lose the weight, but what should happen is the good fat intake should increase, to provide the energy you will need to get through the day/workout etc. Most people do not do that, which is why they feel tired all the time dieting. Basically if you lower your carbs, adjust your good fat intake. Research Carb Cycling.

So long story short the difference between Proteins, Carbs and Fats, are that some are better choices and sustain a timed release of energy (Carbs) and Fats. Protein is used for building muscle. Example, have you noticed when some people lose weight they look sickly? That is because they did not keep their protein intake up, and balance their carbs and fat intake. They all work together, slack in one area, you will have mediocre results; but again too much of any of them will cause fat gain. The idea of getting in shape is to lose the fat, you want to preserve as much muscle as possible, so you look healthier, feel healthier and look like a million bucks. Most of all do it for "YOU", bump everybody else. Love life and love yourself. I apologize for the book. Hope this helps.

-Isaiah
  • 3laine75
    Options
    @3laine75, not to be rude or anything, but you are jacking the thread. Perhaps it would have been better to start your thread/ask your question separately. However, I will do my best to answer your question. First and foremost, I am not a professional as in Dietician etc. but through trial an error, researching and being in the fitness game for quite some time I have learned a few things, and you may take my response with a grain of salt. I recommend you do your research, incase my below response is not satisfactory.

Now to answer your question. When you are speaking of Protein, Carbs and Fats they are all different, but combined are the essentials of a balanced diet.

Proteins - large biological molecules, or macromolecules, consisting of one or more long chains of amino acid residues. Known as the building block of Muscle tissue.

Carbs- Starches, cellulose and sugars. Broken down release energy in the body.

Fats- A Crucial nutrient that we need for normal bodily functions, and it is said without it we will not live. Also, it supplies energy and lubricates the joints.

Part 2 of your question: You have lean proteins, such as chicken (Breast) white meat, Pork Loin, Turkey, Tuna, Fish, Protein powders (Whey, Soy, Casein, Yogurts etc.) and you have your fatty meats, dark meat chicken, thighs, drumstick, fattier cuts of red meat as in ground beef 80/20 or less and some steaks.

You have carbs that are less ideal to consume in reference to dieting, you will fair better results with brown rice, oatmeal, grains, wheat/grain breads, lentils, beans etc. Also, lentils and beans etc. have protein. The Carbs listed above have a timed release of energy, to help you maintain through out the day. Also eat your vegetables for fiber and a carb source.

Consume Healthier fats such as: Olive Oil, Flax seed, walnuts, almonds, fish oil pills- Omega 3's.

Now consuming more than enough of anything will cause weight gain. Portion control is the one thing that get's us all in trouble. The saying less is more is true, to a certain extent. Carbs are not the "bad" food it has the rep to be, hint; the update to myfitness pal macro nutrients etc. Carbs can be bad when again you over eat, same with fat. Carbs and Fat both supply energy. Example, low carb dieting, you lower your carb intake to lose the weight, but what should happen is the good fat intake should increase, to provide the energy you will need to get through the day/workout etc. Most people do not do that, which is why they feel tired all the time dieting. Basically if you lower your carbs, adjust your good fat intake. Research Carb Cycling.

So long story short the difference between Proteins, Carbs and Fats, are that some are better choices and sustain a timed release of energy (Carbs) and Fats. Protein is used for building muscle. Example, have you noticed when some people lose weight they look sickly? That is because they did not keep their protein intake up, and balance their carbs and fat intake. They all work together, slack in one area, you will have mediocre results; but again too much of any of them will cause fat gain. The idea of getting in shape is to lose the fat, you want to preserve as much muscle as possible, so you look healthier, feel healthier and look like a million bucks. Most of all do it for "YOU", bump everybody else. Love life and love yourself. I apologize for the book. Hope this helps.

-Isaiah

Aw bless, all that time and you didn't even answer the question - maybe Dope's suggestion is a good one for you at this time :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hey Ryan,

You will defeat the purpose of quality gains and just add fat; which you will spend more time trying to lose the fat to show off the hard earned muscle and work you put in getting the physique you desire. Yes, you will put on weight, but not the weight you want, it will be all fat with minimal muscle gain

-Isaiah
    You say he will just add "fat", then will gain weight but have a hard time showing off the "muscle" he worked for , then will put on weight that is "all fat".

Got it...

Curious, when he added "all fat", when did he add muscle? In a deficit? I'm sure you don't really believe this.

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Keep control of your total calories and you'll be fine.

Dirty Bulk is dictated by the amount of caloric surplus, not the diet.

/thread
  • iknighten
    Options
    @Chieflrg, Looking at His avatar, I assume he has already reached his weight loss goal, since he mentioned bulking. He also stated that he wasn't really interested in doing a dirty bulk. I implied that eating that way will not put on quality mass, yes he may gain weight, but in the form of fat, which will defeat the purpose of what his plan is. At the end of the day eat and do what you want, if it fits your macros, etc. but when the desired result isn't achieved look back and see where one has failed.

Man, I am not trying to start a debate or text war. That's not what it's about, and that's not what I'm about. Just trying to help out and if I failed to answer the question, shame on me, but again as I stated; do "your research, and take what I say with a grain of salt". I'm just saying what has worked for me. Agree or disagree, hope the information helps someone.
  • iknighten
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out. The "Bro Science" in my post is just that, Bro Science. Man, you can eat what you want, If it fits your macros, and the your training is on point, then yes you can put on quality muscle, but keep in mind if you eat the fattier foods you will increase your chance of gaining fat as well. I know the aim is to gain mass/weight etc. However, I would still do cardio 15-20 mins of cardio or shorten the rest period between lifting sets to combat/minimize the fat gain that will be associated with the so called not so healthy food choices included in the if it fits your macros diet.

replenish glycogen stores with your post workout meal or shake, you can include the sweet stuff; pixy stix, pinapples, Ice cream and fruity pebbles if you like for an insulin spike to supply nutrients to the muscle.

If you are eating high protein, you will want to keep up your fiber up to keep you regular, unless you want to dump bricks. LOL

Lower GI foods, is said to last longer so you stay fuller longer. Again you can eat what you want as long as you stay in your calorie range. I just prefer to eat a little cleaner, due to I want to walk around with a little abs showing. I've done it the old school Bro Science way and fit your macros way. I just prefer to eat a little cleaner because it's more work getting off the unwanted fat. In my opinion, why put on all the mass if you can't take your shirt off at the pool etc. Plus being 6 ft and over 250 lbs is hard finding clothes to fit. But it's the trade off if you want to be big.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out. The "Bro Science" in my post is just that, Bro Science. Man, you can eat what you want, If it fits your macros, and the your training is on point, then yes you can put on quality muscle, but keep in mind if you eat the fattier foods you will increase your chance of gaining fat as well. I know the aim is to gain mass/weight etc. However, I would still do cardio 15-20 mins of cardio or shorten the rest period between lifting sets to combat/minimize the fat gain that will be associated with the so called not so healthy food choices included in the if it fits your macros diet.

replenish glycogen stores with your post workout meal or shake, you can include the sweet stuff; pixy stix, pinapples, Ice cream and fruity pebbles if you like for an insulin spike to supply nutrients to the muscle.

If you are eating high protein, you will want to keep up your fiber up to keep you regular, unless you want to dump bricks. LOL

Lower GI foods, is said to last longer so you stay fuller longer. Again you can eat what you want as long as you stay in your calorie range. I just prefer to eat a little cleaner, due to I want to walk around with a little abs showing. I've done it the old school Bro Science way and fit your macros way. I just prefer to eat a little cleaner because it's more work getting off the unwanted fat. In my opinion, why put on all the mass if you can't take your shirt off at the pool etc. Plus being 6 ft and over 250 lbs is hard finding clothes to fit. But it's the trade off if you want to be big.

Just. Stop.
  • iknighten
    Options
    @LolBroScience... I'm sorry my posts have offended you or others. If I am or have misinformed anyone; and you have/are or know the Holy Grail to Bodybuilding and Nutrition, please enlighten me and share your knowledge, so that I can be better informed and achieve a physique such as yours. (Sarcasm). By the way, I love the trolling, I think it's awesome!! LOL!

Also, most of us that have been in the fitness game have been misinformed over the years with Bro Science and the personal "Know it all" handbook of fitness, and will continue to be misinformed; due to the advances of science and subject testing, wither personal or group trial laboratory testing. Experience, trial and error is the best teacher. But, somehow; I believe you have figured all this out. So save me the embarrassment, please let me in on the secret. Enquiring Minds want to know. #umadbro?

Kind Regards,

Mr. Misinformed