Banned phrases for 2015

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    A diet (the food you eat) is not the entirety of the way one lives one's life (a lifestyle).
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    "clean eating"
    "sugar is bad"
    "1200 calories"
    "muscle weighs more then fat"

Muscle does weigh more than fat as surely as water weighs more than oil and a dog turd weighs more than a piece of paper.

And sugar is bad when over indulged in and most people on this website have over indulged in sugar and lack control over their consumption. That's why we say its bad. Its a minority of people here who have good control over their appetites and their consumption of sweet foods.

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    correction lifestyle choice. My point was there is nothign wrong with the word diet. What's wrong is the hangups people have over the word.
  • SalQOG
    SalQOG Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "foods and drinks that boost metabolism"
    "crash diets"
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It's not hangups, it's that after a while, things like "journey" and "lifestyle" start to sound like bad writing cliches out of a Lifetime movie. This is just a fun bit of a rant thread from people who've heard it all before.
  • arlenejoneswilson
    arlenejoneswilson Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I saw this commercial on late night TV...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The people who confuse Lose and Loose!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Real women have.... (this needs to go.) We're all real women.

Some of us might be cyborgs actually.

Fun fact, did you know that any person with artificial parts is technically a cyborg (not saying they aren't still human. They are.)? So people with say, a pacemaker or a prosthetic eye or arm would be cyborgs. If I ever need something like that at least I will be able to take some solace in the fact that I'm now an awesome cyborg.

Though I suppose then we're both real women and real cyborgs.

WAIT, some people are real men...

This thread is fun.
  • troutrouter
    Options
    "Banned Phrases" threads
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    "journey" and "lifestyle change". So cliche.

Yuuup! And guess what? It all means the same thing as "diet". "Diet" - food you eat.

^ this

also second the comments on picking something I can do for the rest of my life. I never intended to be needing to lose 100 lbs for the rest of my life so I never saw why I should need to pick something I can do forever. Things are always changing.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    "clean eating"
    "sugar is bad"
    "1200 calories"

Muscle does weigh more than fat as surely as water weighs more than oil and a dog turd weighs more than a piece of paper.

And sugar is bad when over indulged in and most people on this website have over indulged in sugar and lack control over their consumption. That's why we say its bad. Its a minority of people here who have good control over their appetites and their consumption of sweet foods.
    Your wrong on both!!!
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    OH and the term "Belly fat". It gives me a weird image in my head. I know there is nothing wrong with it, it's far more accurate than "Stomach fat" or something... but it just seems so... disembodied.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Real women have.... (this needs to go.) We're all real women.

Some of us might be cyborgs actually.

Fun fact, did you know that any person with artificial parts is technically a cyborg (not saying they aren't still human. They are.)? So people with say, a pacemaker or a prosthetic eye or arm would be cyborgs. If I ever need something like that at least I will be able to take some solace in the fact that I'm now an awesome cyborg.

Though I suppose then we're both real women and real cyborgs.

WAIT, some people are real men...

This thread is fun.

That's actually really funny. My sister has had a pacemaker since she was young (she's healthier than me otherwise) and we've always joked about her being battery operated.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OH and the term "Belly fat". It gives me a weird image in my head. I know there is nothing wrong with it, it's far more accurate than "Stomach fat" or something... but it just seems so... disembodied.

It's better than saying FUPA.
    Just saying.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time to work out"....you sure have time to watch that favorite TV show though don't ya
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    "clean eating"
    "sugar is bad"
    "1200 calories"

so much wrong...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    "journey" and "lifestyle change". So cliche.

Yuuup! And guess what? It all means the same thing as "diet". "Diet" - food you eat.

^ this

also second the comments on picking something I can do for the rest of my life. I never intended to be needing to lose 100 lbs for the rest of my life so I never saw why I should need to pick something I can do forever. Things are always changing.

I agree (to an extent) as well. You have to make some sustainable changes to both eating and activity. But the details (low carb, counting calories etc) don't need to be life long choices. The assumption is, of course, that "everything in moderation" is the best way to lose because you'll then just have a bit more of everything at maintenance.
    Time will tell if that's actually going to work for folks in practice "forever".

My own diet has shifted as needed over the years.
  • VeryKatie
    edited December 2014
    Options

Just saying.

That's true. Though I feel like FUPA and belly fat aren't the same thing. Maybe it's just that I'm still a bit surprised that people are just learning that spot reduction isn't possible. It's like me saying I want to lose weight from a single boob.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Just saying.

That's true. Though I feel like FUPA and belly fat aren't the same thing. Maybe it's just that I'm still a bit surprised that people are just learning that spot reduction isn't possible. It's like me saying I want to lose weight from a single boob.
    They aren't exactly the same thing, no. But FUPA leads to such a vivid image.....

Yes, spot reducing belly fat seems a common (unachievable) goal. Belly fat being a common issue these days....
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options

"blah blah blah the person above you"

Can we ban threads that have 'the person above you' in them?

^^^ this has to go^^^