WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Back on.......

Heather.......I remembered you asked about difficulties, facing fears and how they were dealt with.... I had a period in my life, early 30's when I started having panic attacks---out of the blue--- like a building wave which would crash and myheart would kick into overdrive, feeling of complete and utter terror, sure I was within seconds of death or going to do something (?) insane, no idea what it even was the first few times. DH was at sea (of course). I handled it by reading everyhting I could find on the subject once the episodes had a name and that knowledge enabled my to devise coping methods. I learned how to difuse the lead up feeling and they ended in a very few milder ones shortly.

yanniejannie

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Renny, I'm so very sorry about your mother! How sad! I'm sorry you didn't make it in time.

We just took the kids home, and I'm exhausted! We (just me and the three kids) were swimming from 2:00-4:00, and I know it's not like I was actually swimming the whole time, but I feel like I got quite a bit of exercise just trying to keep up with them. DGD#1 and I even had some swimming races across the pool, and of course she won them all (wink). DGD#2 is getting pretty good at diving in without flipping over or doing a belly flop. And the little guy is getting a lot braver and swam some without his floatie. They all had a good time. They said we should do this EVERY Sunday! Oh joy. Then we came to our house for dinner and they put on a little play afterward. I didn't know how I was going to get the little guy showered, dried and dressed after swimming, but hubby came to the Y just to help. I thought that was very sweet.

Well, it's time for Downton Abbey, so good night for now!

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Renny,sorry about your mom.
    Thank you all for the love,prayers and support.
    The wake and funeral are this week,wed and thurs.
    Her daughter is in Japan and in the navy,so they had to wait til she got back.
    Been fighting tears all weekend.
    We did have a nice party for my mom for her 80th bday.
    She had 40 people celebrating with,kids,grand kids and great grand kids.
    Was a great day.
    HUGS jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Katla - good article, thanks! :flowerforyou: I eat all of those foods a lot of the time, apart from pomegranate, which is a rare treat.
    - How is your lactose intolerance? On our TV they are advertising lactose free dairy, milk, butter etc. Have you tried those? I got for Christmas a recipe book called RIVER COTTAGE - LIGHT AND EASY., by one of our TV chefs, Hugh Fearnley Whittonstall. Delicious dairy and gluten free recipes, but not especially slimming. I was surprised what could be made dairy free - ice creams etc. I have ordered some buckwheat flour as he seems to use it a lot.

Alison - you could have another 40 years of misery. :flowerforyou: Or you could be happy.

Heather UK

I use lactose free products regularly. They've made a huge difference in my ability to enjoy foods that were off my list for a long time. I've never seen lactose free butter but I've tried the lactose free milk products with some mixed results. If I also take lactaid when I eat them, it works out just fine. The one that works best for me is organic and called lactaid milk. They put lactaid into the milk to predigest the lactose that is in milk naturally. Some cows are treated with a hormone to increase milk production and I always make sure the products I use are free of this hormone. My daughter is hyper-vigilent to make sure she doesn't serve milk from hormone treated cows to her children.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Renny: I'm so sorry for your loss. :broken_heart::heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Renny, so sorry about your mother. But so glad you got to have good quality time with your family while cleaning out Mom's apartment. My Mom only lived about 3 months from diagnosis to death so it was all sudden for all of us. I hated paying her rent on her retirement home apartment when she was in hospice just barely holding on. But that month allowed us as family to take our time in cleaning out her apartment and discovering those little jewels of things that were left and we never knew about. It was amazing what all Dad left for Mom that she would discover through the years after he died. With our recent water problem, I found a box of Mom's things. I thought we had taken care of everything. She has been gone for 3 years. yet I find yet another box. Mom knew my oldest grand daughter liked her porcelain dolls so she left them all in the will and the shelf she had them on to Trinity. But then Ellie picked up the hobbie. Being a much younger child she liked some og the younger looking dolls where Trinity liked the older more Victorian dolls. Well in this box was a small porcelain doll, just perfect for a Christmas present for Ellie. It was pretty confusing to her seeing a Christmas present from Grandma Pete under the tree but now she knows the story of it and it will always remain very precious to her.

I have tried with Charlie not letting him get the upper hand when he starts yelling at me and calling me such awful names. I just leave the room and he eventually shuts up. I WILLL NOT sit there and argue with him. He also is the kind of person who will totally shut his brain off if I try to tell him how it hurts me when he treats me like that. Now he will listen to either one of his girls, but not me. He does get confused when I compliment him on some of the tings he does around the house and just for me, the way he takes care of me, gets me the things I need. He just shrugs it off. Later he will come to me and ask him why I said 'all that stupid stuff'. I think something really bad happened to him when he was growing up and I don't know if I will ever get the story. But I don't think he was complimented very much. Therefore he doesn't know how to or even that he should compliment others.

Allison, is there a wy you can cook something really nutritious into your FIL's cookies? Something to get some good protein in him? You do realize that as his mind shuts down, his body will follow and that causes his appetite to completely go away. I had to learn that from the hospice nurses when Mom was in. I was shocked they didn't serve routine meals or even have a cafeteria to cook. They had plenty of food that could be warmed up at any time of the day or night. They let the patients be the judge of what and when they wanted to eat because at that stage of the game the body didn't really want or need anything.

Love you all, Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Today was a pretty laid back, lazy day for me. I read my bible, journalled and phoned a friend.
    Babysat Keira, my almost 5 year old granddaughter. We did puzzles, etched coins and made a card for her Dad. DH and our little Chico came with me and the girls on a walk around the block. It's still too cold for much more than that. It was good but we were all definitely ready to come in the house.
    Oh, we also had a little more dancing while we listened to Reba, Heart and Pat Benatar.

Heather in Hampshire - Your Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie sounds delicious. It combines 2 of my favourite foods. (yes, I've been called a weirdo)
    I love a good spinach quiche.

Alison - Is it possible the insurance company made a mistake? Is is one of those things where you have to fill out a certain form and submit with the bill? You need to take care of your health. Put yourself first.
    Make sure you love yourself, I know others do. Remember that.

Nancy- Congrats on your 8 lb. loss. That is wonderful for you.

Vicki - That is a nice NSV. It must have felt satisfying to be active and help the kids bowl
    Do you have your dogs chipped?

Meg - I'm glad you don't have to get new knees. What is the answer for now? Rest, elevation and ice?

Renny - Condolences on the loss of your Mom. There is nothing quite like this loss. Sounds like you were a good daughter and spent a good amount of time with her. I'm sure you have many good memories.
    You have a very supportive husband. One of the good ones I would say.
    Hug those grandbabies, they will give you energy.

Hoping for answers tomorrow
    -Sharon in Alberta
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Sharon - it is great, but it is more like a "cake" than a quiche, which is why it is great for transporting or cutting into smaller portions. I have thought of baking it in a square tin and cutting it into cubes to put on cocktsil sticks as a canapé. Today we will have the remaining third in my home made granary rolls with tomato and a relish of choice. :bigsmile:

I listened to my DDIL on "Woman's Hour" this morning BBC RADIO 4. I texted her afterwards to say she was brilliant and sounded wsrm, but authoritative. I believe it is the first time she has been on national/international radio, though I think she has done local stuff. Very nerve racking as WH has a huge following nationally and is listened to all over the world. She did very well, considering the other contributor on the subject of nailbiting was very witty and relaxed and was favoured by the presenter. I began to have a sinking feeling and I would have been intimidated if it were me, but DDIL held her own and carried on talking very well and kept it together. I hope this will be the start of a great media career. I am expecting her new book, THIS BOOK WILL MAKE YOU MINDFUL any day now as I preodered it from Amazon. I can't believe my son's luck at finding her for a wife! ! ! ! ! ! He was a drink and druggy teenager and used to be a bit of a wild card. She still allows him his moments! ! ! :laugh:

Yanniejannie - thanks for that info. Very interesting how much we can change our behaviour if we really want to and if we set our minds to it. I'm like you in that if I'm experiencing any problem I buy a book on it! My shelves are groaning with all my self help books. At least I now buy them on Kindle. :laugh: I do believe thst the constant reiteration I read in them has really changed me over the years. I used to be a mess, quite frankly. I still have my weak spots, but I know how to go about changing them as I have so much good information. :bigsmile:
    Anyone else changed some self defesting behaviour or overcome a life limiting fear? My latest gain, which has coincided with losing weight, is thst I can now tolerate ( but not like) restaurants snd shops with background music. I used to break out in a panic attack like Yanniejannie's. :ohwell:

I have typed my novel 9 days in a row. o:)

Renny - Sorry for your mother's passing. Despite the distance you remained close. :heart: You sound to have a lovely family. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather in windy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Dear Ladies
    Attending the Mumbai marathon for the first time this sunday ! so excited about my half marathon! any tips friends!
    Renny so sorry about your mom!
    Yanniejannie thats a smart way to handle fears! I have made a note!
    Hugs to all facing challenges and applause for all celebrating victories!
    Anamika from a pleasant Mumbai
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning and hugs to Jane and Renny. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,815 Member
    Options
    Renny~ so sorry to hear of the loss of your mom.. i lost mine at 65, almost 15 years ago, it is never easy..I choose to remember all the wonderful times over the years
    Joyce~ I could put some protein powder into the cookies.. that is a great idea..I know what is coming a slow and steady progression downhill, but I know he knows that we both love him and even if the window is slowly closing.. we will be there with him until the end..
    On that note, I feel bad that I dont spend more time with my dad.. it is very hard to spread myself everywhere, and work..
    I am praying on what my life holds next,Maybe I should leave where I have been working for the last 8 years and look for a full time job with benefits..,it would help here an awful lot, but then I wouldnt be able to do as much for everyone else..
    I will call on the insurance bill.. spoke with the DH last night. he blows his stack and then calms down, I didnt speak much to him yesterday.. but I told him I dont know what to expect out of my kidney situation, dont know if I will need diyalisis or a transplant in the next 10 years..the cost of either would be astronomical..
    so I will try my darndest to get back on track and lose the weight I need to so that I can be healthy..
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Wearing a pair of pants today that I couldn't button a few months ago! Jogged a mile in under 20 minutes. (Jogging is so much harder for me even when I go the same pace as walking.)

Thankful for my snow boots today,
    Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • Superpook
    Superpook Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Greetings from SC, ladies! Need all the support I can get and willing to support others as I can.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! It is cold, dark, and raining here. My son came home on Saturday to attend the wedding of one of his best friends. He was impressed with the whole thing--the bride's dress was "big and poofy" and the reception was "fancy." The groom is a marine (an MP stationed at Quantico) so wore his dress blues. He is the eldest of seven children and the youngest little brother was the ring bearer and had his own set of dress blues to wear. We have no idea where they got the outfit. The youngest sister was the flower girl. They both looked adorable! The boy child was also in a better humor this time. He pitched in with the moving that was going on without question and I even got a muttered "love you, too" this morning when I dropped him off at the train station.

I am so tired! We moved stuff all day Saturday and then I had church stuff from 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. yesterday. I had another couple of loads that was supposed to be moved out yesterday, but there was just no time or energy. I hate weekends where I have no chance to rest and to prepare for the coming week. The utilities are all scheduled to be turned off today at the old house so it will be chilly getting those last few things out. But, it is all but done!

So, enough whining! During the last two weeks, I have had one day that involved any kind of binge eating. Although I wish it had all been "clean", it is so much better than the previous six months have been. I have to tough it out for another two weeks getting year-end things done at work, then I hope that I can settle into my new home and have a little time to breathe.

Oh! My daughter and I went shopping in the closest big town on Friday afternoon and I managed to find some things for the house that I had been looking for. I desperately wanted an umbrella stand/holder and tried finding one online; sorry, not paying $50+ dollars for a container for wet umbrellas. However, the first store we walked into had a cute umbrella stand on display right inside the door and it was only $20! It even has two little hooks for hanging the folding type umbrellas so that they don't get lost at the bottom. The things I got were all practical except for a darling little pitcher that caught my eye. I picked it up, expecting the price to be $20+ and it was only $4.99! It now sets on my dining room table where I can enjoy it's beauty while I eat. After shopping, we had dinner at Cracker Barrel. I was thrilled to see that they have a healthy eating section on their menu now. I ordered grilled catfish, baby carrots, baked sweet potato, and a side salad. I ate one of the catfish fillets, the carrots, and side salad along with a cornbread muffin. The remainder is in a box, ready for a lunch or dinner this week. It was yummy AND I could eat without worry about the calories!

Rennie and Jane - I am so sorry for your losses. Big hugs to both of you!

Alison - Hang in there! I'm lucky in that my children can now see their father for who he is and never blame me for the divorce (wasn't my decision, anyway).

I've read everyone's posts and have each of you in my thoughts. I hope to be a bit more engaged here now that life begins to settle down a bit.

Carol in soggy NC

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Renny so sorry about your mom.

yanniejannie so proud of you for overcoming your panic attacks.

I did get to the Imitation Game. Great Movie. I like how it brought out that people feed on violence until you change your reaction and no longer give them that power. Our media could take a lesson in that right now. I liked how it was Colin Firth who introduced Bennedict Cumberbatch as a nominee at the Golden Globes. There are two of my favorite actors. I also like how the woman who plays Anna on Downton Abbey so graciously acknowledged a woman so her voice could be heard about her rape as she accepted her award. I knew there was a reason I am in the Downton Abbey Club.

Heather I like self help books too. I am rereading The Power of Habit right now and The Tipping Point (How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference). Figuring out what your habits are is one of the first steps. It reminds me of another of my favorite quotes. "Between the stimulus and the response there is a space. What you do with the space makes all the difference" For me the space is the habit and that is what I have the power to change. Yanniejannie did this when she overcame her panic attacks.

Hope everyone has a great day!

2015 word: Strength
    Quote: Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite"

:heart: MNMargaret

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    dstirratt - that is an awesome feeling isn't it... way to go!!!!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Good morning, lovelies!

First week back, not completely on track, but beginning.
    603 calories over for the week but did log everything even if had to fill in next day.
    Over on exercise minutes but under on calories burned.

Now time to get down on that mat!
    Hugs,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD who wants to feel good NOW.

Intentions:
    Just for now: listen 5 seconds after speaker stops
    Today: Log like Mary MSH, every bite lick or sip whether over, under or sidewise!
    January: mat, weights, dance or walk every day.

1st wk: log=100%
    move=57%
    listen= just beginning
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies,

I'm still having trouble with the voice to text on my smartphone, I guess it's not that smart after all.
    I had been in kind of a funk lately because I also was on a plateau for a long time.however, yesterday I finally dropped a pound and today another! it's amazing what makes me happy, I was sitting in my recliner yesterday with my knees up and noticed that there was space between my legs, the no longertouch! I was so excited I had to show my husband.
    I started the 8 hour diet where you eat during an 8 hour window of time. I don't know if that is why I finally lost some weight but, it is the only change that I made.
    I live in northern Minnesota so it is quite cold out most of the time. I have a hard time getting out and exercising.I live close to what the weatherman talls call burrrmidji (Bemidji ) because it is so cold up here.last week I had to deal with frozen water pipes!
    I love reading your post and it seems like this is very supportive community thank you for all you do for everyone!

Mary
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It was snowing this morning when I went to take the kids to school, but it didn't amount to much. It's supposed to be over 32F all day, so nothing should stick, but it looks dreary and dismal out there. Good day to stay indoors!

I'm getting excited! The local food bank is doing an event called Empty Bowls. That is where local potters make bowls and local restaurants donate soup and they sell the bowls full of soup to raise money for the food bank. I made bowls for an event in Joplin a couple of years ago, but this is the first for our little town. I'm going to the planning meeting tomorrow evening, so I will get to be involved from the beginning this time. The event in Joplin was very successful, but it turned into a political free-for-all where the lady running it was only doing it to promote her own business, and taking advantage of the potters to do it. More than a little slimy, I think. So the potters didn't want to do it for her again. I don't mind being taken advantage of for a good cause, but not to line HER pockets. So, this time hopefully it will all be a good experience for everyone. It's being run by the charity itself, and not by a business. That should be better.

Today's joke wasn't funny, so I picked some online:

:)

When our client’s dog lapped up anti-freeze, the veterinarian I work for ordered a unique treatment: an IV drip mixing fluids with vodka. “Go buy the cheapest bottle you can find,” he told me.

At the liquor store, I was uneasy buying cheap booze so early in the day, and I felt compelled to explain things to the clerk.

“Believe it or not,” I said, “this is for a sick dog.”

As I was leaving, the next customer plunked down two bottles of muscatel and announced, “These are for my cats.”

:D

Cats are smarter than dogs. You can’t get eight cats to pull a sled through snow.

I was a mess. My career as an artist was going nowhere, my horseback riding was no longer fulfilling, and in general I felt unattractive. My husband did his best to be supportive: "You’re a great artist," "You’re a wonderful equestrian," "You’re the most beautiful woman I know."

One day, after another bad ride, I told him my horse seemed depressed. "How do I cheer up a horse?" I asked.

He shared his secret: "Tell her she’s good at stuff and that she looks beautiful."

Have a great day!

Sylvia

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    feeling pookie :0(