WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Having a difficult day with grief.
    Spent part of the night going thru posts from my friend on facebook and reliving memories.The wake and funeral are wed and thurs
    Have a good day
    hugs
    jane
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Missed yesterday so it took me awhile to catch up. I love reading the posts and they give me hope and courage. I’m not alone on this journey. Hope you are all happy and healthy this Monday.

Sylvia – empty bowls sounds like a wonderful event and right up your alley. What a great time to do it. Everyone like soup especially when the weather is cold.
    The horse joke was funny..
    Mary in MN – I am complaining because we’ve been in the 30’s for a week. I can’t imagine how cold it is up there. I’ve been in a funk this last week also. Seems like all I do is watch television. I taped a lot of Christmas movies which I didn’t have time to see so that’s what I do. However, this morning I went in a deleted them all so I have no excuse to watch tv all day
    Barbara – I’ve been back one week also. Did pretty good logging but no exercise.(See above note). So I’m proud of you for getting it together.
    Carol – glad you’ve about finished your move and are close to being able to relax.
    Katia – just realized I didn’t know your DH had back surgery. Hope it was successful and he is pain free.
    Barbie – thanks for the idea of setting a steps goal and increasing it each month. I have difficulty getting 5000 a day since it’s too cold to play golf. I also have a heel issue that is quite painful. I’m going for 4000 a day for January.
    Nancy in Ft Worth. – I am so close to you! We retired to Granbury 17 years ago. Great loss. I’m proud of you!
    Meg – so glad you don’t have to have knee replacement.Make me feel like a slug that I just sit around when I should be up and moving.
    Renny – so sorry to hear of your Mom’s passing. My brother died in June and all my sibling and I were able to be together and you are right it is a special time.
    Lesley – so sorry about your friend, Melanoma is a terrible disease.

Better quit and post or I’ll be behind again. LOL

SueBDew in TX
    My January goal if 4000 steps everyday.
    Word for January is determined.

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Jane and Renny condolences on the loss of your friend and mother <3

Hope to catch up with everyone tomorrow, don't know where the weekend has gone.

Viv (still windy York UK)

• crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon dear ladies.

Congrats to Diana in NE Indiana for running (sounds so much better than just jogging!!) that first mile! Go slow and steady, let your body build up so you don’t hurt yourself or get too sore. Really proud for you.

Sylvia, the empty bowls project sounds like a wonderful fund raiser. Your soup bowls are so lovely I’m sure they will be a hit. Please don’t let the charity under-price them!

Pip, so sorry you are still in a bit of a funk. I was up your way this past weekend (dog show) and waved at the train as I drove by. We are thinking of you.

Alison… many hugs!! Sometimes when our kids are going through a tough spot, they just look for someone to blame. I know it is hard, but we all do the best we can to raise our kids. It often takes a while before that light bulb comes on for them.

Showed the dogs on Saturday. What a long day. Neither dog qualified. My younger dog, Talga, disconnected from me shortly after we got in the ring. He was sort of “dialing in it”, but he doesn’t have anywhere near enough experience to do that, so he missed a major cue. I am pleased that he worked through some things that had given him trouble in the past, but it is back to basic training for him and time to think about when to show him next. Zedd, my older dog was one of the last dogs of the day. He was obviously tired from just hanging around all day. He misjudged one of the jumps and ended up going under it. He sees the chiropractor in two weeks. If the vet does find anything with his lower back, I’ll get his eyes checked.

The show wasn’t a total waste, I had dinner with a dear friend after and we made plans for a herding get together in February.

Yesterday, I played catch up. Did my run and walked the dogs. Got some of the house cleaned up. The fridge went out in the camper (I store my extra dog treats out there and found the mess on Friday when I was trying to pack for the show.) I need to finish cleaning up that mess and then get an appointment to get it fixed before my next camping trip. I also need to re-stock the grain for the cattle. I hope another 300lbs will do for the next week, then I can get away with just one trip to the feed store. Sure glad it has been a mild winter in the PWN!

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.
    Remember to breathe…

Sally W.
    Oregon

exercise.png

exercise.png

weight.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    dog lady- what kind of dog show, what kind of dogs,
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Rainy all day......grey and dreary and fog in places. Bit of a headache all day and quite sore elbow (did some with a pretty heavy kettlebell yesterday; sure that's responsible). Up early to take DD to friends barn for her job there, then took that car to the garage. Walked from the garage to gym for ladies aerobics and got there early enough for a bit of time on a bike! Begged a ride home from someone driving in my direction. Drove to stable to pick up DD in my car, a few errands, lunch, more errands, took DD to pick up her car so she could go to the show barn for afternoon barn work.

Beth.........ooooohhhh.....Sheepskin mittens sound heavenly!!!

Katla.......Did you enjoy the new yoga session?

Vicki........There was a story on the local tv news last night about a local dog here being stolen. Awful!!!

Heather.......Glad to hear your DIL had such a successful radio "appearance". I do think it's safe to say that both you and I have come a long way!!!! I owe soooooo much to books, really, all of my life there have been books. Good for you for sticking with your writing!

Lesley.......My condolences on the loss of your friend.......(((((hugs))))).

Anamika........I want to hear ALL about that half marathon.......my only advice would be that you have fun!!!!

Carol........Congrats on your bargains. Have you settled the "drop in" issue?

Margaret.......I'm so glad you liked The Imitation Game. I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Impactful and riviting. I saw part of the Golden Globes.

Mary.........LOL; I think you just might be far enough north to compete for low temps with Linda!!! Congrats on the 2 pounds down!

jane.......((((((hugs))))))) Let your grief flow and take you where it leads you; early days yet.

Sylvia........."Souper" idea.......

Best to everyone I missed. Welcome newbies.

Hunger is not an emergency.
    Determined.
    yanniejannie

• lnrohlfing
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    2638339ri42aw53bw.gif
    welcome.gifWelcome to a friendly community of women. The name says Women ages 50+ but all women are welcome. I hope that those of you who are new will become part of this community. None of us is able to manage this journey to health and fitness alone.

How did you do with your goals or resolutions for December?
    What goals or resolutions have you chosen for January?
    Resolutions or goals aren't necessary to be part of this community.

smiley-greet012.gif Many people vow to make a new start at the beginning of a new year. This thread has helped me to stay focused one day at a time on my new behaviours and attitudes.

Sign your post with your name or alias and your geographic location so we can get to know each other better.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

December Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *walk 18,000 steps a day (did this every day)
    *strength training twice a week (possibly as often as once a week)
    *knit six child hats (accomplished)
    *act the way I want to feel (this saved me several times from what could have been a terrible time)

January Resolutions
    *walk 18,500 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week
    *review our will and documents of personal information
    *don't expect praise or recognition
    *learn and teach two new dances

146200.png
    1 January 2015 and I have decided I must get to grips with my weight and have a worse starting position but I am determined this year. My knees are telling me that I have to do it for their sake if nothing else.

All your help will be gratefully received.

Happy New Year to everyone and hope we can all make the sensible choices that we should.

Jo
    :)

• lnrohlfing
    Options
    I'm poofus 52 and overweight. Joined MFP today weighing 210, gotta get myself motivated- my kids and grandkids are more important than a cheeseburger. I want to be healthier- doctor said cholesterol is high, hello Crestor.
    Can someone motivate or inspire me ?
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I just can't lay in bed anymore. Good news/bad news at the Doc today. My body fought the Influenza A, so that test came back negative this time. But the chest X-ray showed Pneumonia, so I am now on an Anti-biotic and cough medicine with codeine, so I should finally get some sleep. I am not allowed back to work until Thursday. It will likely take the rest of the week to catch-up on my paperwork, so I will be back to this wonderful group probably over the weekend or next week. Please take care, and know I miss you all ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Training today + walk 2 miles and Jeannette's Circuit A = 474 cals.
    + Food = 1809 which includes fish and chip treat whilst shopping.
    + House: wash Stan's gardening clothes, vac carpets shopping
    I was on statins until 2005 when they lysed my skeletal muscles, I am on Lipid now and non-statin and cholserol is doing just fine
    Lesley in Tasmania
    Testing ticker:
    67586641.png
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Pip: I have rough collies (Lassies). This past weekend we were showing AKC Obedience at the Western Washington Cluster at the Washington State Fairgrounds in Puyallup. This weekend is the biggest show on the west coast, the Rose City cluster at the Expo Center in Portland. I don’t have any entries in this one. (Too big, too noisy, too stressful!) My older dog is working on Championship points (sort of) my younger dog needs one more qualifying score to finish his Utility Dog (UD) title, then he can start on championship points and the Excellent title.

Lnrohlfing: Welcome to the group! The journey of a 1000 miles starts with the first step. The only advise I have is to set reasonable goals. For this to really work, it is a lifestyle change, not a diet. Ask questions. We can tell you what worked for us. Everyone is different. The one constant you will see from the ones who have dropped weight and kept it off is to MEASURE and LOG every bite. The kitchen scale is your new best friend.

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.
    Remember to breathe…

Sally W.
    Oregon

exercise.png

exercise.png

weight.png

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,815 Member
    Options
    evening ladies,
    I am trying to type one handed as my poor baby Homer has tummy troubles, and when he has this, he is clingy.. so here I sit, with a dog stuck to me..
    my bonehead husband ,said he looked at the ultrasound bill and thought we owed 1200.00 but he didnt look all the way to the bottom where it said we owe 196.00,
    he is a bonehead...
    work was fine today, went to see my DFIL, He is now refusing breakfast, sooo
    I will have to go down at breakfast time every day to get the man to eat, because he will eat for me.
    I cant tomorrow as I have to get bloodwork done and to be in work at 9:30 so will run over get bloodwork done, and then over to see him..
    If I am going to feed him every morning I have to be there at 7:30 ,this could throw a wrench into the monkey works ,but I will do what I have to do...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    lnrohlfing wrote: »
    I'm poofus 52 and overweight. Joined MFP today weighing 210, gotta get myself motivated- my kids and grandkids are more important than a cheeseburger. I want to be healthier- doctor said cholesterol is high, hello Crestor.
    Can someone motivate or inspire me ?

The longest journey starts with a single step. Don't try to change everything at once. Start with a single resolution and do that for a week and then add something else. Come back to this thread and read what others have written. Learn how to use the food and exercise logs so you can keep track of what you eat and learn from that information.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)---The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Congratulations to your DDIL for being a presenter on “Women’s Hour.” She must be very talented and poised. Congratulations to you for typing your novel 9 days in a row! :flowerforyou:

Diana in NE IN: Congratulations on a great NSV. Getting into previously too small pants ranks right up there as an awesome non-scale victory. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: It sounds as though you’re almost moved into your new place. Congratulations! I hope you will fill your new home with happy memories. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Today’s joke is soooo true! :flowerforyou:

SueBDew in TX: DH isn’t pain free, but he’s in less pain than he has been in a very long time and things are improving. Life is getting better for both of us. :flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I didn’t get to go to the yoga class this morning because I went with DH to his “exit” appointment with the back surgeon. It was a nice meeting, and we all expect its likely we may need his help in the future. I still could go to yoga this evening if I’m lucky. I really don’t prefer evening exercise, but may make an exception this time. :flowerforyou:

Inrohlfing: We can’t motivate you because that really comes from within, but we can support your efforts with knowledge and encouragement. You have found a wonderful group of women and I hope we’ll see you here often. :flowerforyou:

Terri in Milwaukee: Take care. I know from experience that pneumonia takes time to get over. Rest, fluids, and good company from friends are excellent strategies. Chicken soup is good, too. :flowerforyou:

SallyW: We’re hoping to go to the Rose City Classic this year as spectators. We love to watch the judging, and especially love the obedience & performance classes. DH learned that there are no scooters available, and only a few wheelchairs on a first come, first served basis so we may have to wait for next year. We’re still talking about it. :flowerforyou:

We had a doctor visit today with DH’s surgeon. He is healing well. We all realize that he may be back for additional surgery in the future. I learned that the basic problem was caused by arthritis in his spine. I didn’t realize that before.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • Bonitajean1
    Bonitajean1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am on a roll here. I've been logging all my foods and I've also been going to the gym (signed up last week) consistently. I am having such a tough time navigating this app and don't know how to add friends. I would appreciate your adding me and also knowing how to add friends.

Bonita in Pa.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Friends,
    welcome.gif Newcomers. Glad to see others are finding us. We missed you.

talk.gif

Katla I agree with you that change has to come from within. Finding this group who have common value that we want to be as healthy as we can be is a great place to find support.

Carol glad things are starting to settle down.

Heather great job sticking to your goals of writing your book.

smiley-bounce017.gif for all the friends reaching their health goals.

2015 word:Strength
    Quote Just because I see the hook does not mean I have to bite.

rose.gifMNMargaret

• grandlove63
    grandlove63 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi not new to the program, but have started as a new participant every other month. I think I'm ready to get serious with the help of 50+ ladies Look foward to the daily word and motivation from you all. Happy new year and here's to new beginnings.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Renny ... so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Yes, you do have a special husband!

Jane ... hugs to you.

Terri ... rest quietly, heal quickly.

Read all of the posts and thinking of you all.

Think our lab is getting sick .... salivating like crazy ... poor boy ... he doesn't look happy. Doesn't get sick very much.

A long day today ... now "hiding" in the bedroom as husband has a group of men from the church here. They yak and pray about things in each others lives ...don't like to intrude.... I'm probably going to fall asleep soon ...

Beth in Western New York ... where we had more snow ... just four inches this time.

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Terri - so sorry to hear your flu has evolved into more. Take care.

Sylvia - Empty Bowl sounds like a wonderful project

Pip - Are you ill or just a little "off" today? We all have those times when the world seems to wobble a little. Hope you feel better soon.

Allison - I had a vision of your dog literally glued to you. Made for a funny cartoon. Ha!

Newbies - jump in and tell us more about yourself. The more the merrier.

I had my first day "on the job" at the Y today doing some training. I was at lunch with some friends and suddenly realized I needed to head to work. After 8 months of retirement it was an odd feeling. I am really looking forward to working some, though. The Y is a very good fit for me.

Congrats to those in smaller pants and running races.

Toni in also soggy Tennessee

Gratitude for the Past - Strength for the Present - Faith for the Future
    Look for the opportunities in every day!

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding

*Joyce, good for you on your handeling of Charlie. It's good that you leave the room, because no matter how hard you try to ignore the rants, you don't need to sit and hear it. Keep putting yourself first and good luck. (((((((((Joyce)))))))))

*Sharon in A, what a delightful time with your granddaughter. It sounds like you burned a few calories in the process.

*Renny, it sounds like your DDIL did great. And how wonderful for you son to find such a gem. I know you are proud. Congrats on your typing.

*Diana, how wonderful that you can now wear those pants. Isn't life grand!!!

*Carol, nice rainy day here but at least it's warmer. The wedding sounds so special. At least the move is almost over and good things ahead.

*NMMargaret, I love the quote about "Between the stimulus and response." We can all think about that one.

*Mary, Good for you. It is wonderful to lose a pound when the scale hasn't been moving for a while! Keep up the good work.

*Sylvia, the Empty Bowls sounds so nice. And how nice of you to donate not only your bowls but your time. I don't know about cats but I'll take vodka over muscatel any day, so cat's aren't that smart after all. :)

*Mary, I've had trouble with my voice to text also, but I figured the phone was smart and the problem was with my speach. Not sure how good they are with a Southern Accent? :)

**Welcome to the new ladies. We are happy that you joined us. I think the biggest thing I have learned here is that I cannot look at this as a "diet". For me to be successful and stay that way, I know it is a lifelong journey. It helps tremendously to log everything that goes in your mouth. I just got new gummy Fiber suppliments and those things have 15 calories a day. :( But they are on my long. You can do this!

*Allison, I hope your doggie gets better real fast. You are an angel for taking such good care of your DFIL.

*Pip, I hope you aren't getting sick. Feel better.

*Terri in MLK, so glad you don't have the flu and so sorry about the pneumonia. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

I had to take a day off from my normal exercise routine today but did a number of arm & upper body exercises, trying to outrun the flab that I will have if I don't. (That is knowing that I will continue to lose weight.) I also think I finally can tell that I have a little extra energy. :) The scale finally moved down this morning after a two week stand still, but I don't record it until I have it for two days straight. I hope you are all having success and staying helathy. Best regards to all of you.

My word for the of the month is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC