WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,780 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well I guess I slept like a rock,but still not feeling well..I hope I am not coming down with anything..I just feel exsausted. hmmmmm
    Having a cup of tea and then off to the shower, gonna go feed my DFIL he, was grumpy yesterday morning ,but I still got a little bit of food in him..
    will be a busy day at work today,I have this weekend off.. so thats good.. need to grocery shop
    Rori~ Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary!!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,323 Member
    Options
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY RORI! :flowerforyou:

We are going up to London next Monday to see the DGC and my friend rang this morning to say she is coming to visit us that afternoon. She's done that before as it's only a few stops on the train. As DGD is having her nap when we arrive and DGS only has eyes for his friend "Johnny", DH, :laugh: , that will be perfect. I really miss my friend although we do talk on the phone. :love: She came to stay a couple of months ago. She is living with cancer in the lymph nodes and so far is doing well.

Katla - I am a really nervous traveller, but I always manage yo convince myself thst it's worth it. Packing and getting to the airport throw me into a frenzy and a few days before I am sure that I am never going to do this again and it was a really bad idea! ! ! Then I have the most marvellous time! ! ! :bigsmile: It really is worth the agony. I even get quite depressed before hand, but I don't think that should stop me. I love my holidays so much, seeing new cultures and landscapes and, for once, living in the moment, when every second is truly "mindful".

DH is out for lunch today, going to a pub with his cricket friend. I am so pleased he has made a new friend. And not many men will meet a friend just for lunch, they usually need the excuse of doing something, like sport or an activity. I think it's nice that they can admit that they like each other enough just to want to meet for a chat. :love: We women can do that, but British men not so much.
    He is out tomorrow all day at football. I have a good film to watch.

Good news, my pesky pound is gone. My lower abdomen is much improved. I think those of you who mentioned my typing and even the subject matter were making a very good point. :flowerforyou:

Pip - how many calories are you burning with all your activity? Do you eat all of them. I have my daily goal set at losing one pound a week and I eat back all my calories. (603) This enables me to stay at target, but to lose I would have to eat a bit less. I don't need to lose, but it is just an interesting situation. It works for me and I don't want to be too skinny at my age as it's not medically advised for bone health etc. and I don't think it looks good.

OK , must get washed and dressed! :laugh:

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,774 Member
    Options
    Lesley ... that's fantastic progress!

Update on Ashley... we finally got to talk with our friends last night ... Ashley has a hard road ahead, but they are just now cautiously optimistic. She is in an induced coma right now, but MRI indicates no serious damage to head! That's a praise! She suffered extensive internal injuries ... ruptured spleen, damaged and bleeding bowels/intestine (have had to remove and resection several places), bruised kidney, bladder and tubes bleeding, etc. Her femur, wrists, and elbows are broken and will need multiple surgeries to repair ... no one know for certain what happened... she was found by another snowmobile rider after the fact. But she had met friends at a restaurant on the trails earlier and was on her way home when she obviously lost control of her sled. Given the extent of her injuries, high speed is suspected and while no one is saying ... probably alcohol was involved. Her fiancé was not with her. Ashley is in her early 20's. Thanks for praying!

Off to work I go!
    Beth in Western New York... ice and a snow squall expected.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    For you bird lovers out there, wanted to tell you we had a sparrowhawk sitting on our bird feeder yesterday. That's only about 12 feet from our window. Then later the green woodpecker made a return visit to our lawn. :love:
    Heather UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good morning,

Happy belated birthday Rori groupwave.gif

Lesley great progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth prayers for Ashley!

Off to work in a Kindergarten room today.

2015 word: Strength

Quote: Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite.

rose.gif MNMargaret
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Happy Anniversary Rori! Happy birthday (belated) too!
    Great to read about all the activity which is keeping most of you on track, fit and healthy.
    All those dealing with challenges, best wishes to you. Concluded our School Sports day, which means 3 days of hectic activity and poor intake of water and food. :'( should have been better prepared.
    looking forward to sunday and my half marathon. Thanks to all those who shared their tips.
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Well they say another day another dollar. In my case it's another day and another lb. lol.

Heather
    Hear you well on the bedroom especially our bedroom being the dumping ground. It belongs in the basement but ends up in the bedroom until I decide to bring it down. And vise versa.

Margaret
    Maybe checking on fizzy drinks would be worth a search. Mind you I'm a tea coffee and lemon water girl.

Carol
    Deedee
    Is on my home page and was there this morning but she's feeling under the weather.

Terri
    Take care lots of fluids and rest rest rest.

Allison
    Maybe not on his forhead but on the fridge so he can see it.

Diana
    Don't fret over it. They are your parents they will understand.

Lesley
    Good luck with your weight loss.

As for me feeling chipper today. No more bad news on my friend. I was there yesterday for awhile with the family. But best of all I was there when the doctor came in and told them not to lose hope. Her kidneys had worked a little bit and he was pleased with that. So I'm praying that her stubbornness will help her. Man she's a stubborn women.
    But sometimes that is a good trait to have.

Wii gave me a little smile this morning very little but that's fine. I did have a very nice supper last night and enjoyed it.
    Did get over the 4,000 steps I aim for didn't even have to walk around
    in circles.
    So on to another great day.
    See you all lighter.
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Got to read up to page 25. Took notes but now running out of time to post them. Find time later hope.

As for me all is well lost 1.6 at tops last night. Not as good as wii gave me in the morning but have to face it you weight more at night. But I'm happy with that. So going to make today a good day.

See you all lighter.
    Linda in stormy Northern Ontario.

I will have to take notes too... by the time I read to the end I forgot what everyone is doing!!

Great loss Linda - I lost .25

I am so far behind in ready... seen a comment about a blog on de-cluttering that would go on for a year.....but lost that...

Also seen a comment about being able to read message boards on your phone... well I better check that out because that would be really great for me...

Take care everyone

Lillian in SK
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hubs snored terribly last night so lack of sleep for me. My mom has celiac disease so maybe she can teach me some gluten free recipes while she is here. I'm not gluten free but certainly can see the benefits of cutting back on the wheat (it's in EVERYTHING!).

No weight loss on the scales for me this week. But I feel thinner, energized, and not hungry. I'm keeping on and trusting the plan of calories in vs calories out. 750 or so deficit.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Rori - I hope you had a very happy birthday and anniversary!

Joyce - I'm glad I am NOT the only one that still has my Christmas tree and decorations up
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is wrong with this app. But half of my texts keeps getting cut off.

Heather - what did you mean by eating back your calories? Some of the language is a little confusing.

I am going you visit my mother in law and watch a hockey game in North Dakota this weekend. Hopefully I won't eat or drink too much! I love a Colorado bulldog once in awhile and they are 600 calorie!

Have a great weekend,

Mary from Minnesota
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

A brain surgeon told a patient “you have a growing mass in your brain, it needs to be tended to immediately or it will kill you"

The patient agreed to surgery the very next day.

Immediately after opening the skull the surgeon took a biopsy of the ugly growing mass and gave it to the surgical nurse with instructions to rush it to the lab and have it analyzed.

After a few minutes the nurse returned with the results and stood silently and grimly in front of the surgeon…. The surgeon finally asked…."WELL IS IT MALIGNANT?"

The nurse replied…" I'm afraid it’s worse" …" WORSE", the surgeon barked, "WHAT CAN BE WORSE THAN MALIGNANT?"

The nurse bowed her head and replied solemnly, "it's Liberal Progressive"…!!!

:D:D
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,666 Member
    Options
    Lesley in Tasmania - I love your progress and stats, keep it up!
    - there was someone (sorry I forgot) who asked how many calories I burn with all the stuff I do. I don't eat my calories that I burn, I have been on a maintaining my weight for maybe going on 2 years now? I would have to go back and chk when I reached my goal weight. I honestly don't think I even need to track this stuff anymore because it's just part of routine but I do it anyway. unfortunately, the more fit or active you are, the less you burn if that makes sense. I still am not used to seeing such little calorie burn when I do something, I may feel like my heart is pounding out of my chest sometimes but my heart rate isn't even that high or I barely burned 300 calories. for someone that is less fit than me, they will burn more if they were to run a mile for example than me because I may be more fit so it isn't has hard for me anymore. I may burn 90-100 per mile which sucks. I will burn on an average 5-700 calories a day? it will be more if I do a longer ride outside or a longer run or something. I will start to put my calorie burn by my stats so you can get an idea. I do miss those days when I would work out for an hour and it was 1000 cal! I still have those days every once in awhile.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    yesterday's stats w/calorie burn:

ride hm 2 gym- 16.08min, 11amph, 3mi = 141cal
    eliptical- 30min, 138stpmin, 10-3/10-10, 2.44mi = 203cal
    jump- fast-single- 6min = 57cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.22min, 11.5amph 1.4mi = 113cal
    ride dome 2 hm- 20.51min, 7.8amph, 2.7mi = 191cal
    total 705cal
  • pipcd34
    Options
    wed 1/14 stats w/calorie burn:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 13.50min, 12.9amph, 3mi = 139cal
    Spin- 35min, 83ar, 115aw, 10-15ag, 14.4mi = 329cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.21min 12amph 1.5mi = 93cal
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.16min, 9.2amph 2.7mi = 200cal
    total 761cal.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Ride hm 2 gym- 13.38min 13amph 3mi = 117cal
    lateral machine- 32min, 61fl, 3680strides, lat5, lvl 3-8, 2.64mi = 207cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.29min 13.2amph 1.4mi = 74cal
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.23min 9.3amph 2.7mi = 169cal
    total cal - 567
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Read to here. Trying to keep up.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Linda C: It sounds like you’re doing well. Yay! I don’t take notes to make my comments to others. I have a word document open while I read the posts and make my comments directly onto the word document. Then I copy and paste my word document in to MFP. It works very well, and I almost never lose a post anymore. Losing a long post was really frustrating for me so I think it must be frustrating for anyone.

Mary from Minnesota: My comments to LinC probably apply to your situation, too. Losing posts and having them cut off is what prompted me to write all my posts in a word document and then copy and paste it into MFP. It was just too frustrating.

pipsc34: I think what is happening to your calorie burn is due to all your training. Your body teaches itself to work smarter, not harder, and gets more efficient at doing the "work" you give it. I am probably far from as fit as you and it hasn't troubled me that the real world burn isn't as good as before. I'm doing well enough for maintenance.I'm certainly not gaining and have to be careful not to slide downward. What a surprise that is! I never in my whole life considered it was even possible.

I’m off to the gym for core, yoga, and a bit of work on machines and I am dressed WARM for that frigid gym. I hope I don’t boil elsewhere. I am looking forward to a riding lesson later this afternoon so I’ll be taking it a little bit easy on the machines. I don’t want to arrive at my riding lesson too sore to ride.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    katla49 - I know that is exactly what it is.. my body is just more efficient so it doesn't burn as much. but for the level that I am, the calorie burn that I do have is technically great and I just have to keep telling myself that.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota - I meant that I eat all my exercise calories back. I do 539 on machines which give me the numbers (at least one machine overestimates) Then I do 20 - 21 minutes of strength training, (weights, body resistance etc) for which MFP gives me 64 - 67 calories.
    - Because I am now slim and fit the 1200 base line that MFP gives me is probably an overestimate. That is why I don't lose weight, but stay the same, wheen I eat my exercise calories. If I were larger I would lose weight. The slimmer and shorter you are, the less you can eat. :cry: I haven't actually measured my height in years because I don't want to know the dreadful truth, that I have lost height as we do with age. That would throw my BMI calculations out and I like them as they are. :laugh:

Thanks Pip for the calorie stats. Apparently exercise is the key to maintaining. You have found a great way to incorporate it into your daily life. Mine is a bit more artificial and takes a big chunk out of my day. But it is definitely worth it. Sometimes I am convinced I am completely mad to be doing all this at 65, but I am happy every time I look in the mirror or have to do anything physical, even running for a train. I used to be out of breath walking along the flat or going up one flight of stairs. :noway: And shopping for clothes had me in a deep depression.
    I just hope I can keep it up for a long time. :bigsmile:

Michele - your eating profile was the same as mine! :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
    27681614.png