WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Talking of the decluttering....I finally put my 2013 taxes in a manilla envelope today!

Great job!

Baby steps! Baby steps!
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Here's a link to my half marathon experience yesterday http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Anamika703?month=201501 .
    Warning: Its a bit too long, all details included.
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,880 Member
    Options
    Marking my place. I have been a combination of crazy-busy and sick with a migraine for the last week. Skimming from page 25 to here. I will post more later. At work and still nutty!
    Rita from CT

Words for the year:
    Determination and Moderation
    January Goals:
    1. Fix TN house and sell (On market!)
    2. Taxes (First draft done - not good.....)
    3. Exercise 20 times this month
    4. Lose 5 pounds
    All to get to my year end goals of Financial stability and lose 50 pounds.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Beth, sorry about the class "fail". The sad fact is that many use the pastor being gone as a good excuse to take a break. I do pulpit supply for small churches and have spoken to as few as three.

Viv, I am the decluttering queen and this is my rule for appliances on the counter: if you use them daily (or almost daily), then they belong on the counter. Otherwise it's best to find another spot. I see nothing wrong with the coffee pot being on the counter. If there's no room close by for the supplies, then get cute canisters for the coffee, filters, dry creamer, sweetener, etc. and leave them out, too. Put some cup hooks under the wall cabinet (or get a mug tree) and have a nice little coffee station. It can look cute instead of cluttered if you do it right.

I am a little behind on my decluttering 365 because I've been gone, but I will catch up this week. Many of this week's missions don't need doing, so I can catch up. I just discovered plastic storage caps for canning jars. I ordered some from Amazon and am going to put several of my staples in canning jars to make my pantry cuter. I'm going to put rice in quart jars with pourable tops and baking soda and powder in jelly jars with plain screw off tops. I already use Tupperware for flour, sugar, etc. but this solution is cheaper than buying small containers since I already have the jars. It will be a win-win since I won't have to figure out where to store the jars.

Beth, good luck with the surgery.

Vickie, sorry for the loss of the young man and congrats on the grand baby. There is some comfort in the circle of life.

Linda, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Meg, my knee goes in and out on me. I got a knee brace at the drug store that really helped with mine. I wore it for a day or two and have had no problems since. I'm sure knee surgery is in my future, but hopefully I can delay it for a while.

As for names, my last name is Norwegian and hard to pronounce correctly. I rarely correct people but do appreciate those who make the effort to pronounce it correctly. As for spelling it, I have seen it all and just shake it off. I dated my DH for six months before I could spell it or say it correctly, so I can't get my feelings hurt. My DD, on the other hand, was not happy with me when I misspelled my DGD's middle name on the Christmas newsletter. It's Braelyn - what was she thinking naming her something that could be spelled 15 different ways? We joke that I will never be grandmother of the year!

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    It is so hard to keep up with this group. Some how it seemed easier 5 years ago when I joined it. Any way, it was a great weekend with great Football!

I am inspired by all the de-cluttering and I am trying to keep going in the direction I started when I took my break from work last year. It is very hard. those.

I thought I would share this photo that was taken yesterday. This is the love of my life (other than Doug, of course) We walked a longer walk on Friday and he has not been moving too well since so I need to scale back again. Poor baby boy.

g9mganxue6yd.jpg
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm all caught up with reading.

Jane and Lin - So sorry about your losses!

Meg - I had torn meniscus surgery in 2011. It was not a piece of cake to me, but definitely worth it. The doctor told me I would be up and running about in two weeks, but the PT was honest and told me it took a full year before her knee felt like her own again. I'm still careful with mine because I know that a quick twist will really mess it up again. That was my right knee--I messed up my left meniscus last spring, but got away with just a steroid shot with that one. I, too, have arthritis in my knees and that is way more irritating!

Many of you were around for my whining about a chunk of bone being lodged in my achilles tendon last fall. When I got out of the boot after four weeks, my foot had changed in shape. It's my right foot and it is shaped like a ) now. None of my shoes fit properly and I'm beginning to have some mild pain in my arch. Any of you have guesses at what's wrong before I part with $50+ to see a podiatrist again?

My new place is located right next to a park that I had never visited so I was anxious to explore. My daughter and I walked over Saturday (soooooo happy to see sunshine!) and explored a bit. It's a very large park and, in addition to a walking track, has lots of roadways that will be awesome for walking on. We were gone about an hour and didn't explore quite everything. Granted, I was strolling because my daughter is both shorter and heavier than I am. I am so looking forward to daylight after work so that I will have a chance to walk outside again.

Sunday was a crappy day for me. I was in a funk all day. I'm not sure of the reasons but I'm pretty certain that going in to work for a meeting last night was a contributor. I REALLY try to make Sundays a "Sabbath" by making time for both church and quiet time. Going in to work on Sunday evening completely blows that for me. I think, on those days, the Sunday evening blues just start much earlier in the day. I did "text in" sick so I have a CD of the service waiting for me at church so that I can listen to it later.

In any case, today is a new day and I will do my best to make the most of it! I hope each of you will be able to do the same.

Carol in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    spin- 1hr, 88ar, 152aw (i think it's wrong), 12-18g 25.5mi- 512cal
    - no work, so no biking today
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Anamika703 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Here's a link to my half marathon experience yesterday http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Anamika703?month=201501 .
    Warning: Its a bit too long, all details included.
    Anamika from Mumbai

that is awesome!!! i remember my 1st half!!! great achievement !!!! way to go!!!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    We are big football fans so were sad when our Colts got slaughtered! We had to go to a viewing during the Packers game and Hubs followed along on a cell phone app for updates. Got home in time for the Colts game. Hubs was yelling at the TV all night. :'(

We will watch the Super Bowl and cheer for the Seahawks. We always cheer for the Colts or anyone playing against the Patriots. :)

I signed up for eMeals and chose the "Low Calorie Plan for Two". All meals are under 500 calories yet look like meals the Hubs would be willing to eat for the most part. eMeals is a meal planner. They send a weeks worth of meal plans, recipes, and a shopping list every Wednesday for the upcoming week. Tonight is Lemon Thyme Chicken Breasts and Orzo with Tomatoes and White Beans. Yummo!

No weight loss this week. But I improved my 5k time by 3 minutes and feel stronger.

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends! It's a beautiful morning here, still chilly but sunny and it's supposed to get into the 60's, so I have hope.

Hubby is going to help me load a bunch of pedestals in my van and take them to Joplin this afternoon. Those are display furniture pieces that I borrowed to use for my open house and I'm just now getting them returned. I need that space for the studio now to make bowls. While we are in Joplin we will go to SAMs club and Per Smart. Hubby is off today because it's a holiday (Martin Luther King Day, for those who aren't in the US). We went to the Y this morning, then had breakfast, but we've been goofing off since then. Now I have a sleeping Spot on my lap and can't move.

My weight has been up a little lately, which I attributed to salt, but it hasn't gone back down, so I'm a little worried. I know I've slacked off on exercise lately. The winter weather got me down, so I hope to do more this week while it's nice.

Love the pic of sweet Bodi.

Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I can't remember who posted it, but thank you for the link for the 12-Hour Window article. I found it to be very interesting. Of course, I have a ton of questions, but it is definitely something to consider.

DrKatieBug, I've also just subscribed to the decluttering page. I don't know how much I will be able to follow for the next bit since I'm still getting situated in the new place, but I'm looking forward to learning from the reading of everything.

Carol in sunny NC
  • decoratinganne
    Options
    Good morning all,
    According to the news this morning, today is Blue Monday, the most depressing day of the year. Thankfully, after seven weeks of faithful diet and exercise (17 lb loss) I can say that today I am anything but blue.
    Although it's cold outside, and the snow is blowing, today is pretty awesome. I completed my workout early today which leaves the rest of my day for laundry, housework and maybe a few hours at my desk.
    Whisking all a wonderful day

Anne ~ North of Toronto
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    WOW - so much activity here. I posted last Friday and hope to keep up a little better in the future. When I was active on MFP a couple of years ago I could go to 'My Discussions' and any thread I had recently posted to would show up there. Now it isn't working that way? I had to go to the little bell icon and find the group? Am I missing something new on this site? I'd really like to join a couple threads and get to know people so I can provide encouragement and get motivated by others. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Thanks!!
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

Story of my life! But I am going to try to get better! I am new to this group but not new to MFP. I turned 50 last May and need to stop the downward slide. I joined a gym and have been working with a personal trainer for a couple of months to begin building up some strength. (I had a shoulder injury a little over a year ago). I have lost about 10 lbs over the course of 2 months but want to bump it up a bit. I would like to lose about 60 more lbs.

I work full time, have a very stressful job, very demanding customers (I am a claims adjuster handling homeowner fires), demanding husband and son, and 3 dogs. I also volunteer at church and for a dog rescue. This year I plan on putting myself first and being a little selfish.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,635 Member
    Options
    Mary – sabotage does happen, but so does Clueless-ness!!! Funny story 20+ years ago I decided to be a vegetarian for a while, and a friend invited me to her home for dinner to make me a special vegetarian meal…. It was veal! She thought 'cause it started with V it was just what I wanted…

Sharon - I have been doing more soups – instead of salad as soup is warmer! LOL and of course I love cream soups, but have just been blending all or many of the ingredients to make a creamy texture…and it’s not perfect, but very do-able…

Susan – Love the baby step mantra…
    Peachstategal – I do planks with my forearms on the ground… I too have weak wrists and ankles…

Anamika – AMESOME – great blog! and great run

Rori - Bodi is so cute, he loves you back!

Carol - it is a drag when your day off gets converted to a work day, or even a part work day!

January goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Do a fun thing every week.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • laurieg933
    Options
    I'm new to myfutnesspal, but excited to get started.......again. I have a long way to go, but am ready to make it this time.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Weird just relaxing.
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi all - been gone a while and happy to be back. Thanks, Michele for the note - it helped inspire me to kick myself in the butt and get going again. Glad to see so many familiar names!! :smile:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    This is not working right,but did see where Carol remarked about the 12 hr eating window.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8898941
    Carol,this is very interesting,with diff eating plans mentioned. Pat

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    a friend invited me to her home for dinner to make me a special vegetarian meal…. It was veal! She thought 'cause it started with V it was just what I wanted…
    This cannot be a true story. Can it?? <smh> :o

P.S. I got invited for something similar once, only it was lobster (that's fish, right, not meat?). Live lobster (well, bought live). I actually threw up in the bushes without even eating it.