Thinking of "starting today"? You might want to check this out - pics inside!

Options

Replies

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I so love the pictures. It is amazing the change you have made in your life. I hope people realize that you're just a regular guy who made a decision one day to change. They can do this too. I can do it. I have started this as well and do feel better already, I don't have as much to loose but I know I will have a better life if I can get the weight off, and feel better about myself. You are truly an inspiration to everyone.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I so love the pictures. It is amazing the change you have made in your life. I hope people realize that you're just a regular guy who made a decision one day to change. They can do this too. I can do it. I have started this as well and do feel better already, I don't have as much to loose but I know I will have a better life if I can get the weight off, and feel better about myself. You are truly an inspiration to everyone.

Thanks - and this is totally true. I am just a regular guy - 2 kids, a wife who puts up with exactly zero BS from me, a dog, a mortgage, kids sports and activities, bills, etc. We both have crazy jobs and busy schedules and all of the same stress that everyone else has. So for me, it's very much one of those "if I can do it, you can do it too" situations.
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look amazing and a true inspiration!
  • LauraFincher
    LauraFincher Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration!! You look great, what an amazing accomplishment!!
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    "I spent 10 years starting tomorrow" Powerful! Great success story!
  • EmRN06
    EmRN06 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow - you are truly an inspiration. I to have spent a good 10 years of my life "starting tomorrow". Even this weekend, I was saying, "start Monday". I am going to start TODAY. I'm only 31 years old and I have spent far too many years putting off starting, or getting started then stalling and giving up. Thank you for your story!
  • ewhip17
    Options
    EmRN06 wrote: »
    Wow - you are truly an inspiration. I to have spent a good 10 years of my life "starting tomorrow". Even this weekend, I was saying, "start Monday". I am going to start TODAY. I'm only 31 years old and I have spent far too many years putting off starting, or getting started then stalling and giving up. Thank you for your story!

See, today is Monday so you are right on track! :smile:
  • Agarland34
    Agarland34 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiration. Congratulations!!!
  • lycheenmango
    lycheenmango Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow what an inspiration! @ewhip17‌ - you look great!!
  • ewhip17
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • LastingHealth
    LastingHealth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your story is so inspiring. :) I am very happy for you and your family. Thank you for continuing to participate here.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    Thanks - nice of you to say. This thread pops back up every now and then and I'm always happy if it helps someone.
  • lemonaid7
    lemonaid7 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You really cut to the chase with start today, you are so inspiring!! Rock on!
  • ewhip17
    Options
    Thought I'd update this for those who are still out there. 2015 has been interesting - I've been trying to focus on health, strength and mobility. In that process I've lost a few more lbs though that's not really the goal. So far I've been pretty happy with the results though - my body fat is definitely down and I feel good. Hope everyone is doing well...

mll8d0p7ay3u.jpg
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Wow, It is hard to see you are the same person. It is a huge change. I am sure you feel so much better and can do so many things you couldn't do or that were hard to do. I bet you can do lot of fun things with your family too. How has the maintenance been coming? Does your family like to do active things together? I am so glad that you made that change to start that day and wrote about it. It has helped a lot of people realize that they can do it one day at a time making good decisions about their health. Keep up the good work you are doing. You are worth it and your family is lucky to have you as a role model of how to live.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    Wow, It is hard to see you are the same person. It is a huge change. I am sure you feel so much better and can do so many things you couldn't do or that were hard to do. I bet you can do lot of fun things with your family too. How has the maintenance been coming? Does your family like to do active things together? I am so glad that you made that change to start that day and wrote about it. It has helped a lot of people realize that they can do it one day at a time making good decisions about their health. Keep up the good work you are doing. You are worth it and your family is lucky to have you as a role model of how to live.

That's very nice of you to say and I definitely appreciate it.

And to answer your questions, maintenance was actually really good. It was incredibly scary at first, but I moved my calories up slowly and was really surprised at the amount I could eat and still maintain. So that was important. I say "was" because I've moved into a new phase - I'm logging a very small deficit each day now, but not nearly what I had been, and focusing on resistance training with some cardio mixed in on "off" days. Mainly this is to try and recomp a little - to "look" better, which wasn't a primary goal of mine when I was initially losing all of that weight. So that's actually been really interesting. I've been at it for about 8 weeks now and I can already see and feel a difference. That part is very rewarding. I've been working with a trainer/coach/fitness professional online to develop a routine for me and to help guide me through many of the nutrition and mindset issues that inevitably come up during a transition like this and that has been a really interesting process.

And yes, the family likes to do active things together. What is kind of sad when I look back on it are the times when they would go out and do something and I simply wouldn't (or couldn't) participate. Those times were tough and they aren't easy to look back on even now. Being able to do things with them is very rewarding. I feel like an active part of my family's life now rather than an interested bystander. Hopefully my kids are picking up in it subconsciously. My wife has - she's taken up running this year and has already done a couple of 5k's and is currently working on a 10k. That's really exciting to see.

So yes, it's been a great year or so. It was, at times, very hard. But other times it wasn't. The thing I'm working on now is realizing that I'm not "done" and I may never be. Rather, I'm in a constant state of improvement and refinement. :smile:

Sorry for the rambling - I'm operating on 3 hours of sleep!
  • tugmd
    tugmd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie to MFP...just read your postings...you are AMAZING and congrats on a job well done...here's to continuing your new lifestyle! I can get there too!
  • ladyscorpio18
    ladyscorpio18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome story and so motivating. Thank you for sharing and you look phenomenal. :)
  • Fabulousme15
    Fabulousme15 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing your story! You are so right pictures are worth more then thousand words. I actually took a photo of myself today I started this app 10 days ago. I can't wait to have photos to show my progress! you are very inspiring thank you!
  • MelimelCoco
    MelimelCoco Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thank you for your story!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!