Thinking of "starting today"? You might want to check this out - pics inside!

Options

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • MsHulkMN
    MsHulkMN Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's excellent! thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ewhip17
    Options
    just a follow up - I just passed the 150lbs lost mark. If you've started, keep going. If you haven't, do it now. A year passes by so quickly, why look back and have to ask yourself "what if I'd just done it this year, where would I be?" Find out. :smile:

• justineisafatgirl
    justineisafatgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's really amazing and inspiring seeing I'm currently over three hundred pounds... People in my family have had weight loss surgeries and I don't want to... Plus it caused them deficiencies and lose skin. I'm going to try to take some steps.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    That's really amazing and inspiring seeing I'm currently over three hundred pounds... People in my family have had weight loss surgeries and I don't want to... Plus it caused them deficiencies and lose skin. I'm going to try to take some steps.

just small changes... and do it for you!
  • lexie1108
    lexie1108 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You look like a completely different person. Crazy how much younger you look too! Congrats!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Amazing you should be so proud congrats
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    I know the pics are the really important part, so I'll keep it mostly to images for now. They tell the story better than I ever could anyway.

This was actually a couple of years ago. Probably 305lbs. They probably shouldn't have even let me on this ride. I remember this like it was yesterday though.

bjyvl87l90qt.jpg

About 2 years ago. Maybe 310lbs. There were things on this trip that I just couldn't do and I missed out on some great experiences.

70xmdwfqdctd.jpg

Probably no words necessary....

kqzfh8jadn7a.jpg

At one of my kid's soccer games. It's tough being the "fat dad" who can't really participate in the pre-game practice with the other dads.

obpdze0sm8rm.jpg

About 2 months ago. Roughly 210lbs and with new clothes. I wanted to see what they really looked like.

o2kmcmqr23wk.jpg

Taken yesterday. 196lbs. Starting weight was 318.5lbs on 1/1/14.

b02ocg1s44ik.jpg

The thing is, it IS possible. If you can set reasonable goals (I far exceeded even my stretch goals), accept that there are no excuses, understand that you will have bad days, and be prepared to be brutally honest with yourself about your actions and decisions, it is absolutely possible. Just don't ever quit. Ever. Don't start tomorrow. I spent 10 years starting tomorrow. Start today.

You look awesome truly inspiring!

• subhaautowares
    subhaautowares Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So motivated, great job. Did you ever had to lay off your exercise or diet routine due to any health issues. If so what did you do during that period, how did you motivate yourself? What is the time period you have given to achieve your target weight?
  • HeatherCrazyCat
    HeatherCrazyCat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    WOWZERS!
    I am so happy for you - you look great, and your family must be thrilled for you too!
    Being able to fully participate in family life must be the loveliest reward.
    I hope that you all have a very healthy, happy future :)
  • ewhip17
    Options
    So motivated, great job. Did you ever had to lay off your exercise or diet routine due to any health issues. If so what did you do during that period, how did you motivate yourself? What is the time period you have given to achieve your target weight?

Thanks everyone!

@subhaautowares - great questions.

1) Did you ever had to lay off your exercise or diet routine due to any health issues. Yes. In the last year and a half I've had all the usual things that people get like colds and flu and so on. Also I've had pretty serious back issues and other physical things that have come up such as crazy dental work and even a kidney stone. I'm 44 so that physical stuff happens more often than it used to. It's all part of the process. However, having said that, I will say that I was, and continue to be, very careful about avoiding injury simply because I know how a layoff can affect you mentally and take you out of the habit of regular activity.

2) If so what did you do during that period, how did you motivate yourself? I just tried to focus on diet during those periods. I think the longest I've been "off" from exercise is a week but I've had plenty of times when it was 3-4 days. During those times I just was extra diligent about hitting my calorie goals. It's really all about the food in terms of scale-weight loss, so you can go extended periods of time without physical exercise and still lose weight if you need to. But I also would try to do something - anything - whenever I could just to keep my body moving. Even if it's just parking farther away at the grocery store.... I just kept telling myself that there are no excuses and that being sick was not an excuse to quit and give up all the hard work I'd put in.

3) What is the time period you have given to achieve your target weight? Great question and this is one of the biggest keys to my success to this point (I think anyway....). I told myself that I was going to just take a year out of my life and do the best I could during that year. As a matter of fact, I didn't even think about it in terms of a "year" - I kept thinking 12 months. For some reason that just seemed like a smaller amount of time... haha. Seriously though, I just kept telling myself to do the best I could during that short time frame. I figured that even if I "only" managed to lose 1 pound per week, at the end of the year I'd be 52 pounds lighter than I was, and that seemed like a solid accomplishment. Just this line of thinking took a TON of pressure off of me mentally. If I lost a half a pound one week, it was fine. If I lost 2 lbs it was great. But more than anything else I saved me from that crushing disappointment of expectation - when you get on the scale and think, "man, I must have lost 5lbs this week!" when in reality it was 1.5lbs. This truly kept me sane and kept me going. But in the end, it's not about motivation, it's about determination and commitment.

• jpaulsims
    jpaulsims Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring story, thanks for sharing it here.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    jpaulsims wrote: »
    Very inspiring story, thanks for sharing it here.

Thanks!
  • sandibraymer71
    sandibraymer71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Just WOW!!!! You're quite an inspiration and your words resonate with me! Thank you for sharing!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Didn't set any records today but finished...

That is what counts. Great job. Congrats on finishing.
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Great Post and Amazing Success ! Thanks for the encouragement!!
    Loved the quote" I spent 10 years starting tomorrow" That is so true for me - "I'll start Monday" was my thing. Hoping to be in a better place 6 months from now and it is folks like you that help push the rest of us.
  • ewhip17
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Your story is very inspiring and I feel like you are telling my story - at least the first part as I weigh about what you did when you started. I look forward to doing this before/after thing a year from now and look to these success stories for inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing!
  • ewhip17
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »
    Your story is very inspiring and I feel like you are telling my story - at least the first part as I weigh about what you did when you started. I look forward to doing this before/after thing a year from now and look to these success stories for inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing!

Looking forward to that post! :wink:

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!