Vitamin D Effect On Weight Loss Study

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    i think it's reasonable to assume correction of ANY deficiency will be an aid in gaining health (which, to some, may mean losing weight). i'll agree on the necessity of bloodwork and communicating with your health care practitioner before starting supplementation, especially minerals and fat-soluble vitamins.

I 100% agree. I had low vit D and low iron. By correcting both I had improved health and was no longer fatigued all the time.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    It's good for people to be aware of the issue and raise it with their doctor. I had no idea I was deficient (and thank you, it's time to check it out again).
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had a massive vitamin D deficiency and I live in a sunny climate. I'd gone too far in "the staying out of damaging sun" direction. I started to take a supplement and getting in the sun a little, and it's fine now.
  • elphie754
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    It's good for people to be aware of the issue and raise it with their doctor. I had no idea I was deficient (and thank you, it's time to check it out again).

Vit D deficients don't tend to have symptoms.

• tomatoey
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Not true. Extreme fatigue is a symptom and you'd better believe I felt it. I had no idea that was the cause.
  • tomatoey
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also, bone and joint pain can indicate a deficiency.

A lot of doctors miss it. My GP did. A doctor at a walk-in clinic caught it.

Though yes, people can be asymptomatic. Which makes the case that most people living in North America (especially Canada - where 66% are thought to be deficient - and other countries at northern latitudes) should ask for the test, because it's not often done.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=rMJr9suPXwc
    A 6 min video from Abbot Labs about Vit D.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hiGBVDcbFVk
    This doctor actually is kind of funny. It is about Vit D factors in general but does point out BMI's 30 and above need to take 2 or 3X of dosage of normal weight persons. It is about an hour but if your interest is high you may enjoy the presentation.

• elphie754
    Options

Not true. Extreme fatigue is a symptom and you'd better believe I felt it. I had no idea that was the cause.

I'm not saying there are no symptoms, just that many people are low on vit D but don't know until blood work is done.
  • tomatoey
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm not saying there are no symptoms, just that many people are low on vit D but don't know until blood work is done.

Right, same page then, ok.

Yeah, I just think it'd be good for there to be better awareness, among docs and patients. Like I said, my own GP missed this possibility and went in a completely different direction for diagnosis (without doing tests...). My levels were barely detectable when they were finally tested by the walk-in doc. I feel much better and more energetic since I started supplementing in the summer (according to my prescribed dose) - I guess I'll see what the follow-up says.
  • elphie754
    Options

Right, same page then, ok.

Yeah, I just think it'd be good for there to be better awareness, among docs and patients. Like I said, my own GP missed this possibility and went in a completely different direction for diagnosis (without doing tests...). My levels were barely detectable when they were finally tested by the walk-in doc. I feel much better and more energetic since I started supplementing in the summer (according to my prescribed dose) - I guess I'll see what the follow-up says.

Yeah. What I meant was, the symptoms are so vague that most people don't realize it's due to the low D.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    oldmomma wrote: »
    I'm just glad we have Vitamin D supplements that are easy to take. My mom grew up in Minnesota (1920's-30's) and she would tell me about the god-awful cod liver oil she and her siblings had to take every day when she was little. Blech!

That was when my parents grew up but they past the tradition on down to their children. :(

At least we did not get the rickets. :)

• tomatoey
    Options
    Yeah that's why I said "same page".
  • elphie754
    Options

All of those symptoms vague and could be a symptom of something else.
  • tomatoey
    Options

All of those symptoms vague and could be a symptom of something else.

I think most people agree with you that people should ask for a test.
  • Ishtancon
    Ishtancon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Maybe my sources are off but can't you get your daily need of Vitamin D by being in the sun 15-20 minutes? Going out side for 15-20 minutes in a short sleeve shirt seems cheaper than buying a supplement.

I guess there would be some cases where you might consider a supplement like you have some allergy to the sun, you can't process Vitamin D from sun exposure, you live in a place where there is little sun shine, or work the night shift.

A doctor's consultation and to each their own I suppose.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    that 15-20 minutes depends. in northern climates, we're too far from the sun to do well with just 15 minutes in a t-shirt. plus, we have snow 6 months of the year.

people in north carolina? you're probably good with 15 minutes in the sun.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I work over nights, so barely see the sun lol.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    health.harvard.edu/newsweek/time-for-more-vitamin-d.htm
    This has a map for the USA UV potential. The article is dated however.
  • Ishtancon
    Ishtancon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    that 15-20 minutes depends. in northern climates, we're too far from the sun to do well with just 15 minutes in a t-shirt. plus, we have snow 6 months of the year.

people in north carolina? you're probably good with 15 minutes in the sun.

I defiantly see your point there. I also agree that you should get blood work done and consult a doctor before assuming any need for a supplement.