Vitamin D Effect On Weight Loss Study

Options

Replies

• GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and get a little more sun. I'm a redhead with freckles and avoid it.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    that 15-20 minutes depends. in northern climates, we're too far from the sun to do well with just 15 minutes in a t-shirt. plus, we have snow 6 months of the year.

people in north carolina? you're probably good with 15 minutes in the sun.
    mykaylis wrote: »
    that 15-20 minutes depends. in northern climates, we're too far from the sun to do well with just 15 minutes in a t-shirt. plus, we have snow 6 months of the year.

people in north carolina? you're probably good with 15 minutes in the sun.

I live in Los Angeles, and I was Vitamin D deficient. At the time I was diagnosed, I was spending a minimum of an hour a day outside in the sun with my children, plus being outside to tend the garden, to take walks and similar ventures.

I was constantly exhausted and my doctor ran a blood panel to rule various possibilities out, but instead she found one.

Vitamin D was not my full story, and my thyroid condition was only found out later, but yes, one can live in a high sun index locale and be D deficient.

I agree with those who say blood tests, not just guessing and grabbing for a supplement, are in order. I would never have guessed at a D deficiency, but my doctor said she did discover the same issue once in a while among her patients, so it's not like I'm a medical anomaly or anything, apparently.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18793245
    A 2008 study. Looks like Vitamin D3 levels above 40 scored less depressed and experience weight loss. I think my level was like 22 July 2013 and 28 July 2014. The doctor just said it needs to be above 40. Had he talked about cutting risks Type 2 Diabetes, cancer, etc I think it would have clicked. Hopefully July 2015 I will have it up to 60.

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/01/02/vitamin-d-deficiency-depression.aspx#_edn4
    I think the depression/weight connection is real in the minds of many of us. It seems we are as tight to the sun as are plants. :)
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That is interesting, but I think there was another study I read that potentially correlates low vitamin D3 in children with an increased risk of type 1 diabetes (and/or vitamin D deficiency could be a precursor to type 1 diabetes development). It explains why instances of type 1 diabetes are higher in locations further from the equator compared to locations closer to it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140227115426.htm

Shockingly, I'm also vitamin D deficient, though I have no experienced easier weight loss by taking my prescribed supplement.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    many people in my area of the country ARE deficient in vitamin d if they are not taking it in some sort of supplement. FACT

It's not a "Fact" because we don't actually know what the "right" amount is. It varies tremendously between individuals and is affected by everything from geography to fitness levels to diet to mood to time of year.

"FACT."

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    many people in my area of the country ARE deficient in vitamin d if they are not taking it in some sort of supplement. FACT

It's not a "Fact" because we don't actually know what the "right" amount is. It varies tremendously between individuals and is affected by everything from geography to fitness levels to diet to mood to time of year.

"FACT."

well, we have an idea of the range. FACT

i was deficient. FACT

i lost weight after taking vitamin D supplements. FACT
  • Mr_Knight
    edited January 2015
    Options

"FACT."

The "idea of the range" is so broad as to be useless.
    i was deficient. FACT

That's not what "fact" means.

I lost weight after swapping cotton jeans for wool dress pants. I guess its time to start a wool-deficiency and/or cotton-is-the-devil thread...

• Aviva92
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

"FACT."

i was deficient. FACT

So because you know some people in your area that are Vitamin D deficient does that mean all areas have that problem?

I also love the amount of emotion you post with.

i said my area has that problem, not all areas.
  • Aviva92
    Options

"FACT."

The idea of the range is so broad as to be useless.
    i was deficient. FACT

That's not what "fact" means.

I lost weight after swapping cotton jeans for wool dress pants.

And...?

i doubt it's useless. i'm also pretty sure there was a link between the vitamin d deficiency and weight loss for me. your cotton jeans example is irrelevant and rude.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    i doubt...i'm also pretty sure...

Exactly. Which is why it's not "fact".

• Aviva92
    Options

close enough to FACT
  • Aviva92
    Options

"FACT."

i was deficient. FACT

So because you know some people in your area that are Vitamin D deficient does that mean all areas have that problem?

What is the % of people in your area that are deficient? How many people are in your area?

who cares
  • Aviva92
    Options
    i'm not your google monkey. look it up if you want to.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

close enough to FACT

:smiley:

Oh dear....

• Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as Vitamin D deficient after struggling with extremely low energy levels and aching joints (felt like my "bones hurt"; though I'm fairly sure that might be impossible). I was placed on 50,000 IU once a day for a week (I felt a surge of energy and the pain went away starting on the fourth day), and now continue to take about 10,000 IU per week through supplements. Oh yes, and the weight did seem to come off more quickly; perhaps because I was more energetic, pain free, and moving around a lot more!
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

"FACT."

i was deficient. FACT

What is the % of people in your area that are deficient? How many people are in your area?

who cares

Well you are making the claim that many of the people in your area have the problem so I'd like to see the data backing up that claim. So its not who cares, it's relevant. And how would I look it up if I don't know what area in the country to research?

manhattan. why exactly does it matter?

i had the problem. i resolved the problem.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    If you suspect you're low on vitamin D (especially if you fit one of the descriptions that experts look at -- no time in the sun, etc.), I don't see anything wrong with taking a little. If you're not taking any other supplements that contain vitamin D, and you're not taking amounts over the upper limit (US government says 4000 IU for upper limit, although some other people will say more), you can't get dangerously high levels from taking small/moderate amounts.