Vitamin D Effect On Weight Loss Study

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    That is interesting, but I think there was another study I read that potentially correlates low vitamin D3 in children with an increased risk of type 1 diabetes (and/or vitamin D deficiency could be a precursor to type 1 diabetes development). It explains why instances of type 1 diabetes are higher in locations further from the equator compared to locations closer to it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140227115426.htm

Shockingly, I'm also vitamin D deficient, though I have no experienced easier weight loss by taking my prescribed supplement.

abatonfan thanks for that link. I had heard it mentioned by a speaker (youtube video) but not seen type 1 diabetes connection with a low level of Vit D3 in a research paper.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you suspect you're low on vitamin D (especially if you fit one of the descriptions that experts look at -- no time in the sun, etc.), I don't see anything wrong with taking a little. If you're not taking any other supplements that contain vitamin D, and you're not taking amounts over the upper limit (US government says 4000 IU for upper limit, although some other people will say more), you can't get dangerously high levels from taking small/moderate amounts.

yeah, i take 2000 IU's a day. i'm not too concerned by the ohnoes you're going to kill yourself if you're not careful crowd in here.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've been taking 5,000iu Vitamin D3 for about 15 months. I had blood work done after a year of supplementation because I wanted to be sure it didn't get too high.

Mine was 75 ng/ml that day, which is very good, according to my doctor, but not too high. She feels over 100 is too high, although the normal healthy range according to the lab printout is between 30 and 96.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21872808

I did not eat a supplement for 3 days prior to having blood work done in an effort to get a true reading.

I had to pay for the draw and the lab work on the Vitamin D because it is not part of a normal/necessary panel, btw. Just wanted to give people a heads up in case their insurance doesn't cover it.

I am going to continue taking 5,000iu of D3 capsules. I am 64 and post menopausal.

I have lost weight since taking D3 but I've been seriously counting calories. This is the only supplement of any kind I take.

Oh, I just thought of something else in relation to a post ^^. My calcium level is 9.1 mg/dl and I do not supplement calcium or magnesium. Potassium was also in "normal" range of 4.4.

I have no interest in taking vitamin or mineral supplements for the most part, hoping to get what I need from my diet. But living where I do where the UVA benefits from the sun are zilch for almost half the year, I decided to supplement Vit D3.

I wish I would have tested myself before I began taking the D3. Hindsight and all that.

The test used was 25-hydroxy vitamin D test, btw.

55835802.png
  • Aviva92
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    many people in my area of the country ARE deficient in vitamin d if they are not taking it in some sort of supplement. FACT

It's not a "Fact" because we don't actually know what the "right" amount is. It varies tremendously between individuals and is affected by everything from geography to fitness levels to diet to mood to time of year.

"FACT."

well, we have an idea of the range. FACT

i was deficient. FACT

i lost weight after taking vitamin D supplements. FACT
    So because you know some people in your area that are Vitamin D deficient does that mean all areas have that problem?

I also love the amount of emotion you post with.

i said my area has that problem, not all areas.

What is the % of people in your area that are deficient? How many people are in your area?

who cares

Well you are making the claim that many of the people in your area have the problem so I'd like to see the data backing up that claim. So its not who cares, it's relevant. And how would I look it up if I don't know what area in the country to research?

manhattan

Interesting because I've lived in Manhattan, I live 10 minutes from Manhattan now and I still have a slew of family members and friends that still do live in Manhattan and guess what? None of them are Vitamin D deficient. Also, I used your friend Google and your claim was unfounded.

i bet my claim was founded and you're lying. i also know tons of people who ARE deficient in vitamin D in manhattan.

oh god, don't run into me on the street.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lol at "NONE". that is a blatant lie, unless you don't actually talk to anyone.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    a quick google search says that up to 3/4ths of americans are vitamin d deficient, but okay at claiming you know NOBODY.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I worked night shift for years and wondered why I was always exhausted and barely getting by on tons of coffee. I started taking Vitamin D every day, and I have much more energy now. It has helped me lose weight in that I have more energy to be active and workout. I don't want to just stay in bed all day on my days off any more. I can very much tell the difference when I forget to take it. I am switching to dayshift this year, so maybe I won't need it any more, but for now, I still do. I also work inside all day, so still don't get much sun, and usually it is dark out when I go into, and leave work, because I work 12 hour shifts.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Really? Because I have grown up with them. It's not some family you see every 10 years. Also I worked for a hospital in Manhattan and still currently do work for one, one of the largest health systems in the city, responding to 911 emergencies. I deal with patient medical histories all day every day as part of my job. Ask me how often I come across people that are Vitamin D deficient.

Also, go ahead and post the evidence that you have that people in "our" area are vit D deficient. I found nothing. You claim iit's easy to find so provide the supporting evidence.

then you are just lying. thanks for playing.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    If you suspect you're low on vitamin D (especially if you fit one of the descriptions that experts look at -- no time in the sun, etc.), I don't see anything wrong with taking a little. If you're not taking any other supplements that contain vitamin D, and you're not taking amounts over the upper limit (US government says 4000 IU for upper limit, although some other people will say more), you can't get dangerously high levels from taking small/moderate amounts.

mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108

"Taking 50,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity."

ForecasterJason while the above is talking maxing out on Vit D3 another doctor speaking at a convention I watched said taking no more than 20K units daily would not led to too high of levels. But in the above article it talks about a build up in cases with failing kidney issues for example. Because people may be at risk for many other critical health issues if they have low Vit D3 it would be best to get a doctor to do a work up with Vit D levels. It seems to take up to a year to get levels up per some.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    one of the first links in a google search says most people are deficient in it. it's not that difficult to find, unless you're lying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/27/health/27brod.html
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

Really? Because I have grown up with them. It's not some family you see every 10 years. Also I worked for a hospital in Manhattan and still currently do work for one, one of the largest health systems in the city, responding to 911 emergencies. I deal with patient medical histories all day every day as part of my job. Ask me how often I come across people that are Vitamin D deficient.

Also, go ahead and post the evidence that you have that people in "our" area are vit D deficient. I found nothing. You claim iit's easy to find so provide the supporting evidence.

Oh really? That's the line you're going with? I guess it's safe to say you decided to make up FACTS in order to make your stance better. Now that you can't provide the proof, to someone that lives in your own area, you are claiming someone is making stuff up. Why am I not surprised.

did you provide links to say that i'm wrong and we are all great on vitamin d in nyc? didn't see any.

you just babbled about being in the medical field. uh okay.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have been taking vitamin D3 for years. I had my Doctor measure it after taking it for a year and it was in the ballpark on the high side, that means it was probably low before I started taking it. I live in MI and you definitely need it here. BTW I don't think it was the reason I lost weight, counting calories and working at it was.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    An alternate perspective...

http://blog.grasslandbeef.com/the-vitamin-d-scam
    "In the 1930's, seeing great profit potential in sunshine hormones, Big Pharma went to work manufacturing a copy cat. In that pursuit, they narrowed the scope of our sunshine hormones and postulated that it was a single isolate that was responsible for the vast, biological benefits of sunshine."
    "Vitamin D is not really a vitamin," wrote scientists for the New England Journal of Medicine. For something to be a vitamin, it should provide the body with an essential nutrient that it cannot make on its own, but requires for survival.
    Since synthetic vitamin D is a drug, foreign to the body, and not required for survival, it's technically a fraud - an impostor posing as a vitamin.
    Once swallowed, the copycat hormone bypasses our innate protective mechanisms and throws hormonal balance out of whack.
    Promotion for the drug disguised as a vitamin is "business as usual" for the drug, food, and vitamin industries: They work together to instill fear and confusion designed to blur the lines between synthetic and natural. And they've done it with a "deficiency hypothesis" that has everyone regurgitating their "25-hydroxy vitamin D" levels in an attempt to avoid rickets, infection, cancer and even a bad haircut, so it seems.
    The anti-cancer statements come direct from short term trials performed by "advisors" to Big Pharma and published in the top nutrition journals! Worse, the trials only show a small statistical association of low cancer rates among vitamin D users over about a 5 year period. This is plain silly.
    Cancer takes more than 5 years to develop. Even heavy smokers can survive 5 years without a cancer diagnosis, but we know cigarettes are a real threat. Thus, any study on cancer lasting five years has very little value. This same scheme was used by the cigarette industry to erroneously thwart off the cancer claims in the early 1970's. Now it's being used to pretend vitamin D staves off cancer. It's a con, and long term vitamin D studies (which are being ignored) show just the opposite (just like they did with cigarettes, of course).
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Oh really? That's the line you're going with? I guess it's safe to say you decided to make up FACTS in order to make your stance better. Now that you can't provide the proof, to someone that lives in your own area, you are claiming someone is making stuff up. Why am I not surprised.

did you provide links to say that i'm wrong and we are all great on vitamin d in nyc? didn't see any.

I'm just wondering how someone would know people weren't deficient in Vit D when they don't routinely test for it? I mean, I was a paramedic for 10 yrs, but I wouldn't claim to know how many of my patients were calcium deficient...
  • Aviva92
    Options

I have to provide evidence that we aren't vit D deficient? Lol. Oh man, you really are bad at debating.

i posted an article. did you miss it?