Options

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    An alternate perspective...

http://blog.grasslandbeef.com/the-vitamin-d-scam
    "In the 1930's, seeing great profit potential in sunshine hormones, Big Pharma went to work manufacturing a copy cat. In that pursuit, they narrowed the scope of our sunshine hormones and postulated that it was a single isolate that was responsible for the vast, biological benefits of sunshine."
    "Vitamin D is not really a vitamin," wrote scientists for the New England Journal of Medicine. For something to be a vitamin, it should provide the body with an essential nutrient that it cannot make on its own, but requires for survival.
    Since synthetic vitamin D is a drug, foreign to the body, and not required for survival, it's technically a fraud - an impostor posing as a vitamin.
    Once swallowed, the copycat hormone bypasses our innate protective mechanisms and throws hormonal balance out of whack.
    Promotion for the drug disguised as a vitamin is "business as usual" for the drug, food, and vitamin industries: They work together to instill fear and confusion designed to blur the lines between synthetic and natural. And they've done it with a "deficiency hypothesis" that has everyone regurgitating their "25-hydroxy vitamin D" levels in an attempt to avoid rickets, infection, cancer and even a bad haircut, so it seems.
    My Doctor has no problem with my taking Vitamin D3, she did want to see my levels though and agreed with me that since taking it for a year put me on the high side of normal range, I probably needed it. That said, I think there are 5 words everybody who wants to lose weight and keep it off should take to heart, those 5 words are, "There is no magic bullet". Use what helps you, and count your calories and work out, the end.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15942551 plenty of deficiency in Maine
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    lol at "NONE". that is a blatant lie, unless you don't actually talk to anyone.

Really? Because I have grown up with them. It's not some family you see every 10 years. Also I worked for a hospital in Manhattan and still currently do work for one, one of the largest health systems in the city, responding to 911 emergencies. I deal with patient medical histories all day every day as part of my job. Ask me how often I come across people that are Vitamin D deficient.

Also, go ahead and post the evidence that you have that people in "our" area are vit D deficient. I found nothing. You claim iit's easy to find so provide the supporting evidence.

So you are on an ambulance all day, just like I was. And you say none of your patients' medical histories included Vit D deficiency. Funny, that was never something I was really concerned about during an emergency. Did you ask any of those people if they had even been tested for it? Did you personally see their bloodwork?
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I had bloodwork done last October and discovered that I was Vitamin D deficient. I knew I was borderline, so I was taking 400 IU along with my other supplements. I told my doctor and she very tactfully informed me that while that might have helped a bit, my daily dosage actually needs to be between 5,000-10,000 IU. Oops. I don't have an amazing weight loss correlation to share, but have noticed an uptick in my energy levels, and it's definitely helping with depression/SAD this season.

Haven't been very consistent about taking my supplements in the last couple of weeks, but this thread and the link OP provided prompted me to go take today's dose!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Here's another article, from the same source...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/the-miracle-of-vitamin-d-sound-science-or-hype/
    But don’t start gobbling down vitamin D supplements just yet. The excitement about their health potential is still far ahead of the science.

Although numerous studies have been promising, there are scant data from randomized clinical trials. Little is known about what the ideal level of vitamin D really is, whether raising it can improve health, and what potential side effects are caused by high doses.

Oh dear...
  • fatcity66
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Really? Because I have grown up with them. It's not some family you see every 10 years. Also I worked for a hospital in Manhattan and still currently do work for one, one of the largest health systems in the city, responding to 911 emergencies. I deal with patient medical histories all day every day as part of my job. Ask me how often I come across people that are Vitamin D deficient.

Also, go ahead and post the evidence that you have that people in "our" area are vit D deficient. I found nothing. You claim iit's easy to find so provide the supporting evidence.

then you are just lying. thanks for playing.

Oh really? That's the line you're going with? I guess it's safe to say you decided to make up FACTS in order to make your stance better. Now that you can't provide the proof, to someone that lives in your own area, you are claiming someone is making stuff up. Why am I not surprised.

did you provide links to say that i'm wrong and we are all great on vitamin d in nyc? didn't see any.

you just babbled about being in the medical field. uh okay.

I'm just wondering how someone would know people weren't deficient in Vit D when they don't routinely test for it? I mean, I was a paramedic for 10 yrs, but I wouldn't claim to know how many of my patients were calcium deficient...

If that's the line you're taking then how would an article know many of the people in the area are Vit D deficient without having them tested?

Nice you see you make an appearance in my debate. You must have missed me

LOL I didn't know this entire thread was "your debate." But I always see you claiming to know stuff just because you work "in the medical field," and I think you should back up your claims once in a while.
  • perseverance14
    Options

Oh really? That's the line you're going with? I guess it's safe to say you decided to make up FACTS in order to make your stance better. Now that you can't provide the proof, to someone that lives in your own area, you are claiming someone is making stuff up. Why am I not surprised.

did you provide links to say that i'm wrong and we are all great on vitamin d in nyc? didn't see any.

I'm just wondering how someone would know people weren't deficient in Vit D when they don't routinely test for it? I mean, I was a paramedic for 10 yrs, but I wouldn't claim to know how many of my patients were calcium deficient...

If that's the line you're taking then how would an article know many of the people in the area are Vit D deficient without having them tested?

Nice you see you make an appearance in my debate. You must have missed me
    Either ask to be tested, or take it for a time (at least 6 months) up until your physical then tell your Doctor, if they are any decent Doctor at that point they will check it. I did that to my Doctor 7 years ago after I had been taking it for a year. She checked it for a few years, then stopped because it was always in range, and on the high side is not bad. You do want to be careful because Vitamin D is fat soluble not water soluble meaning you can overdose, that said, I don't think it is easy, I take 5,000 IU/day.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    here ya go. specifically states that states above the 37th latitude are more at risk for vitamin d deficiency.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/time-for-more-vitamin-d.htm
  • Mr_Knight
    edited January 2015
    Options

Did you actually read it?
    The picture of vitamin D’s health benefits beyond bones has been drawn mainly from epidemiologic and observational investigations. The findings of such studies can suggest correlations between disease risk and certain factors — sun exposure or blood levels of vitamin D, for example — but they don’t prove cause and effect.
    Although there’s no agreement on an optimal level of 25(OH)D, deficiency is generally defined as a blood level less than 20 nanograms per milliliter, or 20 ng/mL (see chart).
  • fatcity66
    Options

So you are on an ambulance all day, just like I was. And you say none of your patients' medical histories included Vit D deficiency. Funny, that was never something I was really concerned about during an emergency. Did you ask any of those people if they had even been tested for it? Did you personally see their bloodwork?

As a matter of fact we do ask complete histories when responding to 911 calls. We also do interfacility transports where we actually have patient charts with us. So yes we do look at plenty of charts. If you don't know how to line up the questioning for an extensive history then I'd reckon you might not have been to good of a paramedic.

Ah, back to your old strategy of attacking the person, instead of arguing the actual issue. Again, how many people did you specifically ask about Vit D deficiency? How many people's actual Vit D levels did you observe via bloodwork?
  • perseverance14
    Options
    If you live in North America anywhere there is 4 seasons, you should get it checked, you could definitely need it. I think it is impossible to get enough sunshine year round where I live, but I lower my dose by half in the summer.
  • Aviva92
    Options

As a matter of fact we do ask complete histories when responding to 911 calls. We also do interfacility transports where we actually have patient charts with us. So yes we do look at plenty of charts. If you don't know how to line up the questioning for an extensive history then I'd reckon you might not have been to good of a paramedic.

well, if you claim to know ZERO people who have a vitamin d deficiency in the NY area, then you are lying if you really have all this information.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    If you live in North America anywhere there is 4 seasons, you should get it checked, you could definitely need it. I think it is impossible to get enough sunshine year round where I live, but I lower my dose by half in the summer.

According to the links a certain poster provided, it only takes "10-15 minutes a day" to get enough sunshine. And, the excess you take in during summer lasts throughout the year. You'd have to be in the extreme north to be in a place that doesn't get enough sunshine.

• Aviva92
    Options

yeah, it's because he's lying. he doesn't know anything.
    Nope, the problem is you just don't believe me. You made claims that have no backing and you're now yelling liar. It's like the boy that takes his basketball and goes home.

Well, I was tested and have a vitamin D defiency and know several other people who were too. If you have all this data saying that NOBODY does you are lying. I'm not so unique as to be the ONLY person in NY who has it. The links I have found say that as much as 3/4ths of americans have it and you claim none, so you're lying.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Did you actually read it?
    The picture of vitamin D’s health benefits beyond bones has been drawn mainly from epidemiologic and observational investigations. The findings of such studies can suggest correlations between disease risk and certain factors — sun exposure or blood levels of vitamin D, for example — but they don’t prove cause and effect.
    Although there’s no agreement on an optimal level of 25(OH)D, deficiency is generally defined as a blood level less than 20 nanograms per milliliter, or 20 ng/mL (see chart).

skimmed it, but his claim that ny is not more prone to vitamin d deficiency is shown to be wrong.