Vitamin D Effect On Weight Loss Study

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If you live in North America anywhere there is 4 seasons, you should get it checked, you could definitely need it. I think it is impossible to get enough sunshine year round where I live, but I lower my dose by half in the summer.

According to the links a certain poster provided, it only takes "10-15 minutes a day" to get enough sunshine. And, the excess you take in during summer lasts throughout the year. You'd have to be in the extreme north to be in a place that doesn't get enough sunshine.

This depends on other factors such as skin color.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    lol at "NONE". that is a blatant lie, unless you don't actually talk to anyone.

Really? Because I have grown up with them. It's not some family you see every 10 years. Also I worked for a hospital in Manhattan and still currently do work for one, one of the largest health systems in the city, responding to 911 emergencies. I deal with patient medical histories all day every day as part of my job. Ask me how often I come across people that are Vitamin D deficient.

Also, go ahead and post the evidence that you have that people in "our" area are vit D deficient. I found nothing. You claim iit's easy to find so provide the supporting evidence.

So you are on an ambulance all day, just like I was. And you say none of your patients' medical histories included Vit D deficiency. Funny, that was never something I was really concerned about during an emergency. Did you ask any of those people if they had even been tested for it? Did you personally see their bloodwork?

As a matter of fact we do ask complete histories when responding to 911 calls. We also do interfacility transports where we actually have patient charts with us. So yes we do look at plenty of charts. If you don't know how to line up the questioning for an extensive history then I'd reckon you might not have been to good of a paramedic.

Ah, back to your old strategy of attacking the person, instead of arguing the actual issue. Again, how many people did you specifically ask about Vit D deficiency? How many people's actual Vit D levels did you observe via bloodwork?

with my one time in an ambulance going to the emergency room, nobody asked about my vitamin d levels.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Did you actually read it?
    The picture of vitamin D’s health benefits beyond bones has been drawn mainly from epidemiologic and observational investigations. The findings of such studies can suggest correlations between disease risk and certain factors — sun exposure or blood levels of vitamin D, for example — but they don’t prove cause and effect.
    Although there’s no agreement on an optimal level of 25(OH)D, deficiency is generally defined as a blood level less than 20 nanograms per milliliter, or 20 ng/mL (see chart).

skimmed it, but his claim that ny is not more prone to vitamin d deficiency is shown to be wrong.

No, sorry, that article actually supports him more than it supports you.

You should have read it more thoroughly before posting it...
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Really? Because I have grown up with them. It's not some family you see every 10 years. Also I worked for a hospital in Manhattan and still currently do work for one, one of the largest health systems in the city, responding to 911 emergencies. I deal with patient medical histories all day every day as part of my job. Ask me how often I come across people that are Vitamin D deficient.

Also, go ahead and post the evidence that you have that people in "our" area are vit D deficient. I found nothing. You claim iit's easy to find so provide the supporting evidence.

So you are on an ambulance all day, just like I was. And you say none of your patients' medical histories included Vit D deficiency. Funny, that was never something I was really concerned about during an emergency. Did you ask any of those people if they had even been tested for it? Did you personally see their bloodwork?

As a matter of fact we do ask complete histories when responding to 911 calls. We also do interfacility transports where we actually have patient charts with us. So yes we do look at plenty of charts. If you don't know how to line up the questioning for an extensive history then I'd reckon you might not have been to good of a paramedic.

Ah, back to your old strategy of attacking the person, instead of arguing the actual issue. Again, how many people did you specifically ask about Vit D deficiency? How many people's actual Vit D levels did you observe via bloodwork?

with my one time in an ambulance going to the emergency room, nobody asked about my vitamin d levels.

No kidding? They must have been terrible paramedics! LOL
  • Aviva92
    Options

The picture of vitamin D’s health benefits beyond bones has been drawn mainly from epidemiologic and observational investigations. The findings of such studies can suggest correlations between disease risk and certain factors — sun exposure or blood levels of vitamin D, for example — but they don’t prove cause and effect.
    Although there’s no agreement on an optimal level of 25(OH)D, deficiency is generally defined as a blood level less than 20 nanograms per milliliter, or 20 ng/mL (see chart).

skimmed it, but his claim that ny is not more prone to vitamin d deficiency is shown to be wrong.

read it. no it doesn't. it supports the fact that people in ny are more prone to a deficiency. they say they need more trials to figure out exactly the health consequences of it are, but they say that most people should supplement if they don't live in the south.
  • Aviva92
    Options

well, if you claim to know ZERO people who have a vitamin d deficiency in the NY area, then you are lying if you really have all this information.

I never said Zero people have it. I said no one I know. Big difference there.

lol you claimed to see thousands of people in an ambulance and know all their vitamin d levels and claimed i was wrong to say it's high in nyc due to this observation by you.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

If I tell you that I ask all my patients about metabolic disorders, infections diseases and deficiencies would you think I'm lying? And you're trying to pop in saying that I said no one in NYC has it. People have it but there is nothing to back up the claims Aviva is making.

I don't know if you're lying or not, and I'm not defending whatever Aviva's claim is either. I just want to know how YOU claim to know specifically about all of your patient's vitamin D levels. Metabolic disorders encompass everything from diabetes, to hyper/hypothyroidism, and everything in between. I thought we were just talking about vitamin D here? And also, just because you ask someone, that doesn't mean they have been tested for it, and have an accurate answer, now does it? Why do you keep going off topic?
  • Aviva92
    Options

no it doesn't.
  • Aviva92
    Options

If I tell you that I ask all my patients about metabolic disorders, infections diseases and deficiencies would you think I'm lying? And you're trying to pop in saying that I said no one in NYC has it. People have it but there is nothing to back up the claims Aviva is making.

i posted a link backing up my claim that it's higher in northern states than elsewhere in the country. did you miss that?
  • Aviva92
    Options

No my claim was never that ny is not more prone. I never made the original claim. You originally claimed that many of the people in your area have it. I said to show the evidence which you can't. And I'm in your area.

you implied that by saying you know nobody.

i gave you a link. DID YOU STILL MISS IT?
  • Aviva92
    Options

So she basically skimmed an article that had nothing to support her false claim then tried to be big by saying it was the FIRST thing on the Google search. Someone doesn't even Google

the article supports my claim. i read it.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    quote from the article:

"Except during the summer months, the skin makes little if any vitamin D from the sun at latitudes above 37 degrees north (in the United States, the shaded region in the map) or below 37 degrees south of the equator. People who live in these areas are at relatively greater risk for vitamin D deficiency."
  • Aviva92
    Options

well, if you claim to know ZERO people who have a vitamin d deficiency in the NY area, then you are lying if you really have all this information.

I never said Zero people have it. I said no one I know. Big difference there.

lol you claimed to see thousands of people in an ambulance and know all their vitamin d levels and claimed i was wrong to say it's high in nyc due to this observation by you.

I said all that? Really? No you said many people in your area had it and I asked you to go ahead and ask me how many patients I see with it. Come on now. Get your story straight. I'm still waiting for the evidence you have to support your original claim.

you previously said you know zero people with it, so yes, you claimed that.