Food and Parenting

Options

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    All right I admit it. I let my son (who has extreme sensory issues) eat 1/2 a cookies and cream questbar as a "protien" choice sometimes. Bring out the pitchforks.
    I wouldn't sweat that, my mom used to let me have tastes of her slimfast shakes and nutrisystem food when that was "the thing" for weight loss. The chocolate pudding was icky :neutral_face:

ive allowed my daughter a taste of alot of things mainly just to get her to back off lol

if someones eating or drinking something she like alot of children wants some too. i know she wont like it but she will get into your personal space until either youve finished or shes gotten her mouthful.

a slice of lemon and a bit of parsley produced the funniest face, she didnt like my diet shakes at all and the mouthful of beer she got off a family friend had her declaring alcohols disgusting and shes never ever drinking

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about feeding my kids the occasional overly processed or "junk" food as long as it isn't making up their ENTIRE daily menu (I think that is the direction OP was going with this). TBH-my only regret with my oldest daughter is making her separate meals from us. Our youngest daughter eats what we eat and isn't picky at all. The oldest? If it isn't one of her 5 regular meal choices, she isn't eating it. She also is very reluctant to try anything new. If I could give any advice to someone who has not had children, it would be to always feed your kids what YOU are eating (with few exceptions such as spicy food or choking hazards, etc.)!

why is spicy food an exception?

ive had people tell me i should give my daughter kids food. when i asked whats kids food i was told nuggets and chips, sausage and mash etc

do people think kids in india and africa are raised on nuggets? my daughters been raised on spicy food due to the demographic of our family, that kid will go to town on a scotch bonnet, she can eat things i cant tolerate so i tend to make african stew in the regular way for her and my other half and a very watered down version for myself cos im a wimp lol

tonight will be cottage pie and veg. ill have a bit of gravy on mine, they will hit the pepper sauce to jazz it up lol

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about feeding my kids the occasional overly processed or "junk" food as long as it isn't making up their ENTIRE daily menu (I think that is the direction OP was going with this). TBH-my only regret with my oldest daughter is making her separate meals from us. Our youngest daughter eats what we eat and isn't picky at all. The oldest? If it isn't one of her 5 regular meal choices, she isn't eating it. She also is very reluctant to try anything new. If I could give any advice to someone who has not had children, it would be to always feed your kids what YOU are eating (with few exceptions such as spicy food or choking hazards, etc.)!

ive had people tell me i should give my daughter kids food. when i asked whats kids food i was told nuggets and chips, sausage and mash etc

do people think kids in india and africa are raised on nuggets? my daughters been raised on spicy food due to the demographic of our family, that kid will go to town on a scotch bonnet, she can eat things i cant tolerate so i tend to make african stew in the regular way for her and my other half and a very watered down version for myself cos im a wimp lol

tonight will be cottage pie and veg. ill have a bit of gravy on mine, they will hit the pepper sauce to jazz it up lol

My kids eat spicy food, although my 5 year old moans about it and drinks masses of water. He likes to moan about dinner anyway though, says he doesn't like it, but then eats it anyway. My 3 year old is much easier, she eats pretty much anything.

I get annoyed that in most restaurants the children's menu consists of sausage and chips, fish fingers and chips, nuggets and chips etc. There's a really nice café we go to, in the park, that does platters for kids with cucumber, carrot sticks, ham, cheese, grapes, pitta and hummus. They do an adult size one too.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

My kids eat spicy food, although my 5 year old moans about it and drinks masses of water. He likes to moan about dinner anyway though, says he doesn't like it, but then eats it anyway. My 3 year old is much easier, she eats pretty much anything.

I get annoyed that in most restaurants the children's menu consists of sausage and chips, fish fingers and chips, nuggets and chips etc. There's a really nice café we go to, in the park, that does platters for kids with cucumber, carrot sticks, ham, cheese, grapes, pitta and hummus. They do an adult size one too.

My children both eat spicy foods. My 19 month old makes the best faces when he eats something spicy. He loves pickles, too. Resturants - I usually ask for the mandarin oranges for the side instead of fries, b/c the kids seem to prefer them over fries. My kids are weird.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I hear this so much and it really boggles my mind. When I hear a parent who is trying to have a more active and heathy life say well I buy those special treats for my kids. So it's ok for your children to eat that crap that is so called food and not you? Don't you want your children to grow up and have a healthy relationship with real food? Gogurt is not a food, little debbie cakes are not food, sugary fruit snack are not food. I want my future kids to love eating vegetables and fruits and have a diverse food palate.

Any thoughts?

Thought #1 - Have a kid first, then talk to us
    Thought #2 - I'm gonna keep to myself, because momma always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I hear this so much and it really boggles my mind. When I hear a parent who is trying to have a more active and heathy life say well I buy those special treats for my kids. So it's ok for your children to eat that crap that is so called food and not you? Don't you want your children to grow up and have a healthy relationship with real food? Gogurt is not a food, little debbie cakes are not food, sugary fruit snack are not food. I want my future kids to love eating vegetables and fruits and have a diverse food palate.

Any thoughts?

I hear you, as a parent we all want the best. But kids are kids. I tried doing what you were doing but it doesn't work very well. Luckily I have her hooked on some good things like vegetables but she is a kid and you can;t get them away from cookies.
    For my lifestyle I choose mostly non-processed foods, low in sugar (sorry I just like it that way), moderate in sodium (just like it that way too) and stick to foods I consider healthy (what is good for me, not anyone else).

If you want your kid to grow up and eat what you feel is healthy you can only do it by example, not by force.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    freezer burned peas!! That made me laugh out loud for reals!!

Oh, the ideas I had about food before I had children!!! HA!
    When my son was the age of eating solids, he would gag on the tiniest of piece of food all the time. It was the strangest thing. Then he became a super picky eater, but was also diagnosed on the spectrum...Very mild mind you, but nonetheless. I went to food workshops, occupational therapists, etc to try to get him to eat a more varied diet, all to no avail. So as long as he eats, I am happy. Sure it's KD, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, spaghetti and pizza. When he was younger it was even more limited. Thank God he's starting to come around (a little bit). I try to make him try other foods. He must have 3 good bites of something new before he can toss it. Guess what happens 9 times out of 10? He gags. Not pretend gag either, literal gagging. Even did it with french toast!! I don't press the issue. He loves almost every fruit, and hates vegetables. So every day he has to eat some fruit, yogurt, cheese before he can have a bowl of cheetos.

When my second son came along, I wanted to try to get him to eat more variety than his brother, but I work full time, teach at the gym, son's in hockey in winter and soccer in summer and hubby works until 6:30pm. So I end up making supper for the boys before us, so he rarely gets the opportunity to try new things (although he's open to trying things on my plate. Turns out he likes broccoli).

You do the best you can with what you got...My kids are happy, healthy (yes, he's healthy even though he's on the spectrum) and loved very very much from both parents. I couldn't ask for anything more...

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Before I had kids, I vowed to never let them watch t.v. or have video games or let them play with toy guns.

Now we have Nerf gun fights while watching Star Trek and my 9 yr old is schooling me in Minecraft and WoW. :)
  • spingirl605
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Before I had kids, I vowed to never let them watch t.v. or have video games or let them play with toy guns.

Now we have Nerf gun fights while watching Star Trek and my 9 yr old is schooling me in Minecraft and WoW. :)

Love you! <3
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Yep, me too :) As far as food, the kids eat what I eat, plus more for the older ones (since they're growing and have higher caloric needs than I--teen boys, whoa!). Sometimes that means the 6 foot tall 130 lb kid eats 3 bowls of cereal w/ milk before bed. Or snack cakes and chocolate milk; he needs to pack it in somehow. The sort of "junk" many bulkers enjoy.

Mama doesn't have "special treats" and my kids don't have "kids food". We all just eat food. Most of it homemade stuff, some prepackaged convenience stuff.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    Oy.

My kids are growing. 50% to 60% of their calories should come from carbs (preferably complex... But hey).

News flash, adults and kids have different dietary needs. If my kid wants a gogurt, they can have one. ONE, not ten. And I'll eat my chicken breast.

Oh, and they ocassionally get spaghettios. I'd have one too, but I think they taste like a can of smashed *kitten* holes.... But they like them.

My kids eat sketti o's, too sometimes. And I always think "mmm, I should try some" and then I do and wonder if they actively try to make it taste bad, or if it's mere coincidence.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

i worked in a school and had a kindergarten transfer student from India. her mother made her home-made lunches every day and they looked amazing. the mother would say, "i wish she would eat the school lunches, or fast food." and we would all say NO WAY! i'm sure she was tired of making the lunches, but wow - that little girl was healthy, active and ate a wide variety of veggies and healthy foods. and most of it was spicy.

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

My children both eat spicy foods. My 19 month old makes the best faces when he eats something spicy. He loves pickles, too. Resturants - I usually ask for the mandarin oranges for the side instead of fries, b/c the kids seem to prefer them over fries. My kids are weird.

my oldest (now 20) LOVED LOVED spicy foods. when he was less than a year old, he was eating salsa and other spicy foods that were even too hot for me. he would ask for them and eat them all. he still loves it to this day, esp ghost peppers and sriracha on everything!
  • spingirl605
    Options
    Wow, if my kids eat something that is even the least bit spicy, they run around the house like animals screaming and scratching at their tongues like they just ate poison or something...It's quite comical...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lol my kids hate spicy food too. So annoying.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

Snap! My 5 year old loves Minecraft, and I'm forever hiding from nerf bullets. My 3 year old got a pink nerf gun for her birthday. Most of the things we watch on Netflix are for them!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options

Well...it's an exception in my home because my daughter will actually cry and choke when she eats something spicy. And I mean spicy as in HOT.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Snap! My 5 year old loves Minecraft, and I'm forever hiding from nerf bullets. My 3 year old got a pink nerf gun for her birthday. Most of the things we watch on Netflix are for them!

I actually refuse to buy Nerf guns. Not because I mind toy guns (plus really, they make some of legos to pretend shoot things anyway) but because I got shot in the neck and the face when my son played with one at a friend's house and I swore I'd never go through that again. Maybe I'm too sensitive but it hurt and I bruise easily!
  • LishaAG
    LishaAG Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I want my future kids to...

So...you don't actually have any actual kids of your own yet...?

I see.

Explains everything.

Lol, legit! Judge AFTER u have kids
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

My 3 year old loves pickles too! And little clementines. Her favourite snack is apple and peanut butter. Kids basically copy us, and our habits.

My 8 month old loves chicken stew (puréed, and we use low salt stock cubes) and apple/pear purée, or sweet potato/carrot.

My husband grew up eating spicy food. He has an aunt from Thailand, and an uncle from Iran, and they make the best food, and he grew up eating stuff like that as his family have always lived near each other.