Food and Parenting

Options

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I notice a lot of parents laughing about how they used to say they'd never let their kid watch TV.

But how many would have been willing to get the TV out of the house? Or did they think they'd keep the TV in the house (just in case) but not let the kid watch it? Or chain it to a wall and lock it in a closet and just take it out once a year when The Wizard of Oz was rerunning on local channels?

Then again computers are worse than TVs and have everything TV has plus much more.

If I had a kid I'd become Amish and I'm not kidding. That's the only way to keep the world's disgustingness and toxic cultural brainwashing away from kids. Well actually I'd probably have to become Amish before the kid was born and marry an Amish husband. If he'd have me. Or at least a Mennonite.

We actually didn't have a tv for a while. It broke (old box tv) and didn't replace it for quite some time. And, before it broke we didn't have cable or an antenna, but they did watch dvds from time to time. This past Christmas we got a new tv along with Amazon Fire t.v. I have to say, I love streaming tv. No commercials. =)

You can't keep the 'cultural brainwashing' out though. Unless you plan on homeschooling. Once they are school age, they learn from their peers.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about feeding my kids the occasional overly processed or "junk" food as long as it isn't making up their ENTIRE daily menu (I think that is the direction OP was going with this). TBH-my only regret with my oldest daughter is making her separate meals from us. Our youngest daughter eats what we eat and isn't picky at all. The oldest? If it isn't one of her 5 regular meal choices, she isn't eating it. She also is very reluctant to try anything new. If I could give any advice to someone who has not had children, it would be to always feed your kids what YOU are eating (with few exceptions such as spicy food or choking hazards, etc.)!

why is spicy food an exception?

ive had people tell me i should give my daughter kids food. when i asked whats kids food i was told nuggets and chips, sausage and mash etc

do people think kids in india and africa are raised on nuggets? my daughters been raised on spicy food due to the demographic of our family, that kid will go to town on a scotch bonnet, she can eat things i cant tolerate so i tend to make african stew in the regular way for her and my other half and a very watered down version for myself cos im a wimp lol

tonight will be cottage pie and veg. ill have a bit of gravy on mine, they will hit the pepper sauce to jazz it up lol

Well...it's an exception in my home because my daughter will actually cry and choke when she eats something spicy. And I mean spicy as in HOT.

my mom is the same way. even if it's remotely 'warm' (spicy) she will have to spit it out and gets choked. every time we eat something that is usually spicy (salsa, etc.) I always eat it first to make sure it's ok for her. she is super sensitive.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My kids are still struggling to differentiate between "spicy" and "spiced". Anything that has any sort of seasoning rub on it beyond seasoning salt and garlic powder they take one taste (or lick) and immediately proclaim, "too spicy! too spicy!". Grr... I can't wait till their little palates become more developed.

Signed,
    Recovering Picky Eater from Childhood Who Would Only Eat Chicken Legs, Mashed Potatoes, Plain Cheeseburgers and Buttered Noodles
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I mean to offend no one. I'm just saying I personally would not feed that stuff to my children even with a balanced diet. If they want a
    cookie I will make them from stratch instead of buying the ones that come in a box is all I am saying

Ha! Just wait till your kiddies get to day care and or school. All those treats you have been not allowing them they are gonna find on their own. Best to teach moderation, IMO...
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I mean to offend no one. I'm just saying I personally would not feed that stuff to my children even with a balanced diet. If they want a
    cookie I will make them from stratch instead of buying the ones that come in a box is all I am saying

Ha! Just wait till your kiddies get to day care and or school. All those treats you have been not allowing them they are gonna find on their own. Best to teach moderation, IMO...

Not to mention that day care and school won't allow homemade treats most of the time.

• spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That's true!!! They have to be pre-packaged confirming no peanuts...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I notice a lot of parents laughing about how they used to say they'd never let their kid watch TV.

I'm at the other end. Kids have unfettered access to TV - and they don't watch it. Like, never. Having grown up with YouTube and Netflix, they are totally put off by the endless ads and the whole "we'll decide what you can watch, and when" paradigm.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    . My son will eat his gogurt... with a side of raw broccolli. And it is the gogurts that lead to the Stoneyfield squeeze yogurts... and now on to the greek squeeze yogurts. (yay! More protein in greek yogurt!)

Yeah I tried the Greek yogurt kinds... Nope. Didn't buy any other kind until they were eaten, and I ended up having to throw them away after their expiration date. Even tried making my own smoothies with fruit and Greek yogurt... nope.

I laugh too at the chickpea chocolate chip cookies or oatmeal raisin cookies... My kids wouldn't touch those. The only 'healthier' substitution they have accepted is regular Cheerios instead of the honey nut kind and hey, I'll take it (shockingly they both eat whole wheat pasta with parmesan cheese just fine, while my son won't touch the boxed mac'n cheese stuff).

Lol! Chickpea cookies! Ha! My son will eat oatmeal (sometimes). He will eat plain chocolate. He will eat sugar cookies. Put any of those together (ie. chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies) = obvious poison.

He will only eat the one kind of chicken nugget. Only Annie's bunny mac n cheese (has to be the bunnies!). Kraft a no-go. But that little bugger will eat raw kale. (veggies must be raw. Cooked veggie = poison.) Is this from my parenting? no. He's just particular. I give him grassfed butter on his bagels to boost his omega-3's.

He will eat pizza and he will eat pasta... but put tomato sauce on pasta = poison.
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Before I had kids, I vowed to never let them watch t.v. or have video games or let them play with toy guns.

Now we have Nerf gun fights while watching Star Trek and my 9 yr old is schooling me in Minecraft and WoW. :)

Love you! <3

Yup, nerf guns, minecraft, Civilization... heck my 12yo son plays Call of Duty and Halo. He's a rather well adjusted little monster.

• tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options

If I had a kid I'd become Amish and I'm not kidding. That's the only way to keep the world's disgustingness and toxic cultural brainwashing away from kids. Well actually I'd probably have to become Amish before the kid was born and marry an Amish husband. If he'd have me. Or at least a Mennonite.

Wouldn't you be brainwashing them by trying to keep the world away from your kids? Sounds like the Greek movie Dogtooth...lol

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    . My son will eat his gogurt... with a side of raw broccolli. And it is the gogurts that lead to the Stoneyfield squeeze yogurts... and now on to the greek squeeze yogurts. (yay! More protein in greek yogurt!)

Yeah I tried the Greek yogurt kinds... Nope. Didn't buy any other kind until they were eaten, and I ended up having to throw them away after their expiration date. Even tried making my own smoothies with fruit and Greek yogurt... nope.

I laugh too at the chickpea chocolate chip cookies or oatmeal raisin cookies... My kids wouldn't touch those. The only 'healthier' substitution they have accepted is regular Cheerios instead of the honey nut kind and hey, I'll take it (shockingly they both eat whole wheat pasta with parmesan cheese just fine, while my son won't touch the boxed mac'n cheese stuff).

Lol! Chickpea cookies! Ha! My son will eat oatmeal (sometimes). He will eat plain chocolate. He will eat sugar cookies. Put any of those together (ie. chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies) = obvious poison.

He will only eat the one kind of chicken nugget. Only Annie's bunny mac n cheese (has to be the bunnies!). Kraft a no-go. But that little bugger will eat raw kale. (veggies must be raw. Cooked veggie = poison.) Is this from my parenting? no. He's just particular. I give him grassfed butter on his bagels to boost his omega-3's.

He will eat pizza and he will eat pasta... but put tomato sauce on pasta = poison.
    Before I had kids, I vowed to never let them watch t.v. or have video games or let them play with toy guns.

Now we have Nerf gun fights while watching Star Trek and my 9 yr old is schooling me in Minecraft and WoW. :)

Love you! <3

Yup, nerf guns, minecraft, Civilization... heck my 12yo son plays Call of Duty and Halo. He's a rather well adjusted little monster.

My daughter LOVES Halo. I blame the school. They gave all 3rd and 4th graders Macbooks. ;)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Love you! <3

My daughter LOVES Halo. I blame the school. They gave all 3rd and 4th graders Macbooks. ;)

Yeah my daughters will play Halo and CoD too, but my son primarily likes to play it online with his school buddies. Since they're all healthy, active, doing alright in school... I figure mock slaughtering your friends and relatives is fine, lol.

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Not to mention that day care and school won't allow homemade treats most of the time.

i'm so glad that my son's preschool hasn't gone down that path...I seriously make vegan versions of all the food they serve that has meat or cheese in it. It's a pain in the *kitten*, oh the things we do to ourselves...

Today's menu was English muffin pizzas.....

on Friday they are serving chicken stuffing...what the hell is chicken stuffing? Like the stove top crap? I don't want to duplicate that crap!

oiy.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

i'm so glad that my son's preschool hasn't gone down that path...I seriously make vegan versions of all the food they serve that has meat or cheese in it. It's a pain in the *kitten*, oh the things we do to ourselves...

on Friday they are serving chicken stuffing...what the hell is chicken stuffing? Like the stove top crap? I don't want to duplicate that crap!

oiy.

Wow that is quite the commitment... Are you trying to copy the menu so that your child is eating a similar food to the other kids? If it were me I would probably just send in whatever food your child eats that you want to make and forget about what is on the school menu, but I'm pretty lazy LOL.

• laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children that are no longer at home..... I have one question. If you aren't going to feed any of this stuff to your children then what are you going to think when they go to school and trade that bag of veggies or fruit for Gogurt or a Little Debbie? I'm here to tell you it will happen no matter how hard you try and keep your kids from eating what you are calling "not food".
  • veganbettie
    Options

oiy.

Wow that is quite the commitment... Are you trying to copy the menu so that your child is eating a similar food to the other kids? If it were me I would probably just send in whatever food your child eats that you want to make and forget about what is on the school menu, but I'm pretty lazy LOL.

exactly. My goal is to not let my kid feel left out. He is only two right now, but it's pretty important to me, I figure if I do it this way there is more of a chance of him committing to being vegan in the future.

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What's funny is I grew up in the house you're aiming to do yourself. Plenty of fruit, veggies, and my mom doesn't eat red meat so we ate chicken, turkey, and fish. Having a real beef burger was a treat. We rarely RARELY ever had chips or cookies.

Even while growing up I was fat. Why? Once I earned my own money and had access to vending machines or school stores I could buy the candy or cookies we didn't have at home. Once I moved out, it got even worse. Way worse. I didn't understand these as treats and it was all fair game to me all of a sudden.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I'm at the other end. Kids have unfettered access to TV - and they don't watch it. Like, never. Having grown up with YouTube and Netflix, they are totally put off by the endless ads and the whole "we'll decide what you can watch, and when" paradigm.

Kinda off-topic but a friend of mine is the same way, her kids almost never watch TV at all because they're used to watching things online, Netflix, etc. At Christmas her 8 yr old son and 11 yr old daughter were stuck watching some holiday movies w/ regular commercials they couldn't skip, and they were driving her crazy saying things like:

"Mom can we go see that movie? Can we go eat this steak special from Applebees tonight? Can I get that toy? Please please please"

or

"ZIPLOC...omg, I love Ziploc!"

She was like...whoa. So glad they don't see commercials normally.

• WinoGelato
    Options

oiy.

exactly. My goal is to not let my kid feel left out. He is only two right now, but it's pretty important to me, I figure if I do it this way there is more of a chance of him committing to being vegan in the future.

I respect and admire your commitment to your food choice/lifestyle and wanting your son not to suffer any exclusion because of it! I do think in this day and age, there are so many food allergies/sensitivities that it seems like every time I go to one of my kid's schools (Kindergarten and Day Care) that someone in the class is drinking soy milk instead of cows milk, eating a special gluten free snack, etc. I bet the kids and teachers are pretty used to it by now so I don't know that your son would be judged, but I could be naive. Does your son eat some of the food that they serve, the fruits/veggies, and you just make the "main" dish, or is he eating a totally separate meal?

Our daycare certainly doesn't have vegan options but they serve fruits and vegetables with lunch and a fruit with breakfast every day. Often the snacks are fruit based too, although mostly crackers and string cheese I think. My other son's elementary school has several options each day and I think every day there is a vegetarian option, but again, definitely not vegan, although I think they have a fruit/veggie/salad bar?

My kid takes a lunch every day and it is usually a cheese or peanut butter sandwich or (gasp) a lunchable! I think the packed lunch kids are more prevalent than the buying lunch kids so I think once your son gets to kindergarten his food will be his food no matter what.

• veganbettie
    Options

oiy.

I respect and admire your commitment to your food choice/lifestyle and wanting your son not to suffer any exclusion because of it! I do think in this day and age, there are so many food allergies/sensitivities that it seems like every time I go to one of my kid's schools (Kindergarten and Day Care) that someone in the class is drinking soy milk instead of cows milk, eating a special gluten free snack, etc. I bet the kids and teachers are pretty used to it by now so I don't know that your son would be judged, but I could be naive. Does your son eat some of the food that they serve, the fruits/veggies, and you just make the "main" dish, or is he eating a totally separate meal?

Our daycare certainly doesn't have vegan options but they serve fruits and vegetables with lunch and a fruit with breakfast every day. Often the snacks are fruit based too, although mostly crackers and string cheese I think. My other son's elementary school has several options each day and I think every day there is a vegetarian option, but again, definitely not vegan, although I think they have a fruit/veggie/salad bar?

My kid takes a lunch every day and it is usually a cheese or peanut butter sandwich or (gasp) a lunchable! I think the packed lunch kids are more prevalent than the buying lunch kids so I think once your son gets to kindergarten his food will be his food no matter what.

it is super weird how many allergies there are nowadays, when I was a kid there was maybe one child with a peanut allergy and then a few with grass allergies and that's it. Part of me wonders if the parents are just jumping on the fad bandwagon of being gluten free or what, but I do have a few friends that have kids with SERIOUS allergies, like if my kid eats flour he will die sort of thing, so I get it, but it's crazy....I wonder what is going on in this world?

Ya our preschool offers the whole healthy kids requirements, protein, veggies, and starches, so he does eat a lot of what the other kids eat, so it's not too big of a deal. but if they are eating corn dogs or what have you, I know he is going to want them too, so I do what I have to!

I can't wait until real school where I can make similar lunches, that will be exciting. lol Who knows though, at that point I think I will give him the option of eating like daddy, or eating like mommy. Not sure what he will choose once he is able to understand where it all comes from, until then he is eating like his mommy. :)

also. I loved luncables as a kid. remember those taco bell ones with the gross meat packets? it seriously looked like cat poop. and it was devine.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Not having kids myself (though we are working on it), my personal feeling is that I'd rather teach my kids to make good decisions about stuff like food or video games or the like. Banning something because you don't like it doesn't really seem to help in the long run. Teaching them moderation and healthy eating habits will last longer than banning certian things and creating the allure of the forbidden.