Couch to Half Marathon? Is this possible?

Options
Hi there! So, my university hosts a half marathon every March, and it's supposed to be a rite of passage for every student to attempt it at least once. No, I'm not trying to do it this March, but a friend of mine roped me into running with her next year. This is the kind of friend that never forgets a promise, and she's extremely disciplined and a talented runner--so I can't get out of this easily.

I'm really, really out of shape. We're talking gets-winded-up-a-flight-of-stairs out of shape. Would it be possible for me to train for a half marathon by March 2016? If so, is there a program I could follow? Something a chub like me could accomplish, within reason?

Replies

• TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I went from not being able to run a quarter mile to a half marathon in 10 months, so yes, it is doable. Start by aiming to get to 5k, then 10k, etc. There are ton of apps for your phone that will show you the way. I started with C5K, but switched to C10K pretty quickly as my goals were heightened. And remember that there is no shame if you end up walking part of it. At least you will keep moving and finish. Best of luck!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I think so, I started running in March 2012 and did a half marathon in April 2013, so it's possible! I wasn't 100% out of shape when I started, but fairly close. I didn't use a specific program really, I built my way up to 5k just adding more and more milage, then did a few of those, then built up to a 10k with bridge to 10k, and did one of those. Then I loosely followed a Hal Higdon half marathon program (just google him and he will be the first to pop up), mostly just making sure I had the correct amount for my long runs.
  • jennew70
    jennew70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You could even do the one in March with the proper training schedule and discipline.
    I completed my first, of hopefully many, Half in November. I trained for approximately 3 months. Truth be told, I don't think I "properly" trained, but I crossed the finish line.
    By the way, I am a reformed chub. Down 50 lbs.
    Couch to 5K app helped me. And strong supporters.
    Believe in yourself - It is possible. :)
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I went from not being able to run a quarter mile to a half marathon in 10 months, so yes, it is doable. Start by aiming to get to 5k, then 10k, etc. There are ton of apps for your phone that will show you the way. I started with C5K, but switched to C10K pretty quickly as my goals were heightened. And remember that there is no shame if you end up walking part of it. At least you will keep moving and finish. Best of luck!

Thanks! This sounds doable. I can only run about a quarter mile at the moment, so this gives me hope.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    it is absolutely doable, start of the with the couch to 5k program, that take 9 weeks (although most of us take a bit longer than that) once you've completed that you will know that 10k isn't that much further than 5k, then it's only a matter time between you and that half marathon :)

good luck
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This sounds doable. I can only run about a quarter mile at the moment, so this gives me hope.

Assuming that you can comfortably walk at a reasonable pace for thirty minutes then I'd suggest a C25K plan, move onto a 10K plan and then onto HM plan. That should take about 9-10 months all in.

You don't need to use a plan, but that's one approach to minimising your injury risk thorugh doing too much too quickly.
  • tmodaniel0720
    tmodaniel0720 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can do it, check out Hal Higdon training programs. I just did his half training about two months ago and now starting the full. Remember that you won't be setting any land speed records but your goal is to finish. During your training the long runs that you do will be at a slower pace and the idea is to get used to moving for the long periods of time. Trust your training follow it and believe in it. Stay hydrated, I can't stress that enough.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Of course! You could probably do it this March if you start practicing now.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Start with Couch to 5k and then try the Hal Higdon program or set up one through the Gipis website. Good luck!
  • revphillips
    revphillips Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Definitely doable. I started with the C25K and ran my first half marathon October 2014. I say "ran" but I run/walk. My knees aren't the greatest, so I'm realistic about that.

There are all kinds of training plans that you can use. Like someone else said, focus on the 5K first, then the 10K, then the half. I started by looking at my long term goal and then working backwards. So if my half was next March, I'd look at a training plan and put the goals in my calendar backwards.

I can't remember, I think I did use Hal Higdon - but regardless, there are also "Run/Walk a Half" type training schedules. It has you running 30 minute intervals through the week and then your long runs are just set at 8 miles (or whatever for that week) and whatever kind of running/walking you can do... I also used a 13.1 PINK app (Pink for Breast Cancer). It has intervals of running and walking for 13.1 miles and that worked really well.

Good luck - you can do it!
  • VoodooChummy
    VoodooChummy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Like many others here I'd agree completely doable. Had great success with C25K then progressed to a 10K and eventually a half marathon all in about 9 months. The plans are great for minimizing injury and giving you confidence that you're constantly progressing.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    You sure can. Ditto to all the advice above, be careful about injuries. Think tortoise, not hare in terms of distance ramp up. A lot of it is psychological, 13 miles seems insurmountable now, each time you increase your distance, you will grow accustomed to it after some time then you can make the next jump up. For me, getting from 6 to 10 was harder than going from 10 to 13.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A year ago today I was over 300 pounds and would be winded going up a flight of stairs. Had been that way for 15 years. I started a weight loss plan per my doctor in early January last year.

Last April I started walking 30 minutes every other day building up to hour long walks by May. Then I was able to walk daily with no trouble until June when my walks totaled 2 hours daily over 6 miles. When that no longer seemed so challenging by July I started running for brief spurts along my walk, and walking to recover until I felt ready to run again. I had to quickly switch to doing this every other day instead of daily because running was using new muscle groups and I was really feeling it!

By September I was running over a half mile on each of these spurts and finishing my 6 mile distance overall in about 1:40

So I signed up for a 10k held on 9/20 simply planning to finish, but I did not stop running and finished the whole 10k, to my own thrill and amazement. I knew a half marathon was in my area on November 15th and I knew if I could add 1 mile per week to my distance I could do it. So I did, and ran that half marathon. So I started running in July and did that half marathon 4-1/2 months later.

So yes, it is possible.

You do not need to follow this aggressive a schedule. Looking back, I may have been able to run in December had I not been so aggressive, but I did and had to rest off some foot pain in December. I am now running again and have a reasonable training plan to run a series of 3 half marathons on 4/11, 4/18 and 5/9 called the Heartland 39.3 series. My results through this will confirm to me if I will train this year for the Kansas City Marathon in October this year.

Good luck! Stay focused and determined, and listen to your body when it needs to tell you something.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Assuming that you can comfortably walk at a reasonable pace for thirty minutes then I'd suggest a C25K plan, move onto a 10K plan and then onto HM plan. That should take about 9-10 months all in.

You don't need to use a plan, but that's one approach to minimising your injury risk thorugh doing too much too quickly.

This. And ditto the Hal Higdon plans. Do C25K, then move from that to the most basic beginner half program and you'll be fine.

I did essentially that this past year. Started running with 'Zombies, Run: C25K Training' at the beginning of June, finished a 14 mile run Thanksgiving week. That includes a week off for initial injury (get properly fitted running shoes or suffer the consequences), and a couple of weeks off for vacation.

Keep in mind that I was already at goal weight, and had been lifting weights, so was not exactly starting with no fitness base at all. Still, I think you have plenty of time if you commit.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I did a couch to half marathon last year training from August until the half in early November and I was out of shape and ten pounds heavier when I started training. Oh, and I am also probably twenty years older than you unless you are a returning student. Good luck!
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for feedback! I'm 19, so I don't have age against me. But I have the joints of an older person, they tend to ache while climbing stairs or just being active for a while. My boyfriend wants to join me on my quest, so I'll have moral support and someone to run with now and then (he's fitter than me, but he's not judgmental about that sort of thing). Hopefully this will work out. Planning to start C25k today, hopefully I don't suck.

Another question: do you guys think it would be best sticking to just the running for exercise, 3 times a week, or do you combine another form of training? I'm considering some yoga on the off days, since I do enjoy that. I'm not interested in strength training. Thanks!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    anything is doable. I started running (walking) Nov. 2012 and ran my first 5K Jan 2013. Nov 16th, I ran a half marathon. you just have to train hard and keep at it. you can do it. just believe in yourself and trust your training.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Yeah... you can do it. I ran my first half 5 months after I started running. And I'm old. With two hip replacements.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    March 2016? Totally! I recommend starting with the full-fledged C25K, then C25K (starting on Week 9), and then moving on to one of Hal Higdon's programs. You have more than enough time to develop a good base!

I just started running in October and I'm running a 15K this weekend, with my first half slated for the end of March.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Another question: do you guys think it would be best sticking to just the running for exercise, 3 times a week, or do you combine another form of training? I'm considering some yoga on the off days, since I do enjoy that. I'm not interested in strength training. Thanks!

Cross training options are cycling, swimming, yoga, resistance training of some kind. Those are all complementary to running, but you can do pretty much whatever you want.

I appreciate that you say you're not interested in strength training, and personally I'm with you on that, it's boring as f**k. Notwithstanding that it's worth doing some as it can help you to mitigate any injury risk whilst running.

Personally I do bodyweight training as I can be bothered with it and can build it into my run training.