Couch to Half Marathon? Is this possible?

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Three runs per week with no cross training is exactly what I did last year prepping for my half.I ran 4 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays, then my long run on Saturday.

I am going to try harder to fit in Yoga on Monday and Wednesday this year. I was unable to dedicate the time last year, but I want that stretching and strength this year as part of my routine.

I honestly don't know how people run 4+ times per week. Maybe it is my age...but I set myself up for injury if I go more than 3/week for very long. I need at least one recovery day for some reason. Maybe this will change over time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Almost anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

I'm not interested in strength training.
    you should be- every fitness program should have some element of strength/resistance training and some element of cardiovascular training.

I don't like running- I don't like cardio.

I do it because it's good for me.

Just like resistance training will make you a better runner and will increase bone density- which as a woman you should be extra concerned about.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »

I honestly don't know how people run 4+ times per week. Maybe it is my age...but I set myself up for injury if I go more than 3/week for very long. I need at least one recovery day for some reason. Maybe this will change over time.

I ran 127 days straight for my run streak. I'm going to start adding more 1 mile runs to run almost everyday. but 1 mile a day is fine (off days) my schedule is 5 miles on Mon, Wed, and Fridays(sometimes 10 on Fridays). Tues, Thurs and sat will be 1 mile runs and maybe rest Sunday.

• malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

you should be- every fitness program should have some element of strength/resistance training and some element of cardiovascular training.

Just like resistance training will make you a better runner and will increase bone density- which as a woman you should be extra concerned about.

I understand that this site really promotes strength training, but at the moment it isn't part of my goals. I'm interested in becoming thinner, that's about all.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I could see perhaps one milers on off days to allow running every day. Interesting.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    I don't strength train and it's only because I don't want to join a gym. I know there are other things to do by using your body weight but I just don't want to do it.

now from someone who doesn't strength train, it's a must to get thinner, slim down, get in shape. running will burn calories but you will be a skinny fat person. if that makes sense. you will never (not everyone) will never like what you look like unless you strength train.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

I understand that this site really promotes strength training, but at the moment it isn't part of my goals. I'm interested in becoming thinner, that's about all.

Hmm. Osteoporosis isn't very sexy to discuss of course.

I prefer a holistic view to health myself. Running supports various areas of life and strength/resistance training supports running among other things.
  • malavika413
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

Hmm. Osteoporosis isn't very sexy to discuss of course.

I prefer a holistic view to health myself. Running supports various areas of life and strength/resistance training supports running among other things.

I try to get enough calcium to avoid osteoporosis, since it runs in my family anyway.

I'm doing the running to prove my friend I can, also because BF and I could use something other than TV to do. Resistance training isn't a must for everyone, though. Not everyone has a toned body as a goal.
  • JoRocka
    Options

who said anything about not being thinner? lifting weights won't make you bigger. it will make you stronger.

You've progressed since the last time you posted- to wanting to do SOMETHING at all- so WIN! Big win.

But the reality is- you need to have both. Period.

It isn't about being thin- or not- it's about what's good for your body and health and wellness.
  • malavika413
    Options

who said anything about not being thinner? lifting weights won't make you bigger. it will make you stronger.

You've progressed since the last time you posted- to wanting to do SOMETHING at all- so WIN! Big win.

It isn't about being thin- or not- it's about what's good for your body and health and wellness.

I just don't like the kind of body that comes with strength training. I'm looking for a bonier sort of look, not a toned one.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options

agreed
  • JoRocka
    Options
    <sigh>

What you look like is a matter of body fat composition- not bony- not bony- toned- or ripped.
    You can still be strong- and functional and not be "toned"

It's like you think you are going to go to one class and get a degree- like picking up some weights is going to makke you ripped over night. that's not the way it works.

Secondly- being 'bony' isn't healthy. And if you think that's some sort of paramount look to achieve- I would recommend seeing someone about your view of your body.

Check out Staci on nerd fitness- she's not really ripped- but she's incredibly strong. Lifting weights- or even doing body weight workouts is REALLY good for you- and you can control what your body looks like with the amount of body fat you have on it.
  • malavika413
    Options
    <sigh>

What you look like is a matter of body fat composition- not bony- not bony- toned- or ripped.

It's like you think you are going to go to one class and get a degree- like picking up some weights is going to makke you ripped over night. that's not the way it works.

Secondly- being 'bony' isn't healthy. And if you think that's some sort of paramount look to achieve- I would recommend seeing someone about your view of your body.

Check out Staci on nerd fitness- she's not really ripped- but she's incredibly strong. Lifting weights- or even doing body weight workouts is REALLY good for you- and you can control what your body looks like with the amount of body fat you have on it.

I've seen Staci on nerd fitness. I'm happy that she's happy with her body, but it's not the body I want.

Maybe 'bony' wasn't the right word. I just want skinny and boyish more than I want curvy and feminine.

I understand I won't be ripped overnight, but I've told myself that once I get down to my goal weight (about 110-105 pounds), I'll consider strength training.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Hi there! So, my university hosts a half marathon every March, and it's supposed to be a rite of passage for every student to attempt it at least once. No, I'm not trying to do it this March, but a friend of mine roped me into running with her next year. This is the kind of friend that never forgets a promise, and she's extremely disciplined and a talented runner--so I can't get out of this easily.

I'm really, really out of shape. We're talking gets-winded-up-a-flight-of-stairs out of shape. Would it be possible for me to train for a half marathon by March 2016? If so, is there a program I could follow? Something a chub like me could accomplish, within reason?

In a year? TOTALLY do-able. You have OVER a year to train for it. Getting past the first mile without stopping, then the first 5 miles without stopping. Those were the first two big steps for me when I first started running. Once I got past 5 miles, it was smooth sailing getting to 10. I did my first half in November and am currently training for a full marathon. You've got ample time. I'd make sure you find a training schedule, allow rest days and do cross training.
    Learn about fueling, hydration, etc and invest in a GOOD pair of running shoes...it made all the difference and can help prevent injuries.
    Best of luck! I love LOVE running-feel free to add me!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Resistance training isn't a must for everyone, though.

It's not essential, but it helps improve running performance and reduce the risk of running injury.
  • JoRocka
    edited January 2015
    Options

It's not essential, but it helps improve running performance and reduce the risk of running injury.

I also hear a lack of bone density is a b!atch.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    <sigh>

I've seen Staci on nerd fitness. I'm happy that she's happy with her body, but it's not the body I want.

Maybe 'bony' wasn't the right word. I just want skinny and boyish more than I want curvy and feminine.

I understand I won't be ripped overnight, but I've told myself that once I get down to my goal weight (about 110-105 pounds), I'll consider strength training.

Why wait? Strength training will make you faster by increasing leg strength and improving your VO2 max. You'll increase type I and type II muscle fibers, so you'll start the marathon strong and finish just as strong. It will also help prevent a variety of injuries.

Strength training also helps you lose body fat while retaining the muscle you do have (because you will not build much if any muscle on a deficit), so more of the weight you lose is from fat. So, in the end when you run you have better body composition. Better body composition means a more efficient body, especially when it comes to running.
  • malavika413
    Options

Does every person that chooses not to strength train collapse from brittle bones? I mean, once we're old everybody falls and hurts themselves. It's nothing to worry about till I'm past retirement age.
  • richjones1968
    Options
    Many running clubs have beginners groups in the spring. Don't be put off by the word club - our beginners course has over 100 beginners each year, most of whom cannot run half a mile when they start - a 10 week course (2 sessions a week) culminates with a 5k run and then the option to join the club and take it as far they want. Shared experience, commitment and achievement help keep the motivation high.
    Also look online for a "Park run" near you - these are free to enter 5k run/walks every Saturday morning (you don`t have to do every but once a month or so is a godd way to measure your progress) There`s a mix of entrants from elite athletes to dog walkers, pram pushers and children. They have them in most towns now
  • JoRocka
    Options

Does every person that chooses not to strength train collapse from brittle bones? I mean, once we're old everybody falls and hurts themselves. It's nothing to worry about till I'm past retirement age.

If you worry about it now- not only will you be able to carry your groceries- books and things around easily- when you fall later in life you WON"T break a hip.

I know people who have been in tremendous accidents that they only reason they weren't dead or more seriously injuried was 1.) increased bone density and 2.) more muscle to protext themselves.

There is absolutely no reason to NOT be doing SOME sort of resistance training at ANY age- ANY stage- even if it's body weight plyometrics.