Couch to Half Marathon? Is this possible?

Options

Replies

• malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    blogilates.com

I'd have to do this with the sound off, she is just way too happy about exercise. :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Almost anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

I'm not interested in strength training.
    you should be- every fitness program should have some element of strength/resistance training and some element of cardiovascular training.

I don't like running- I don't like cardio.

I do it because it's good for me.

Just like resistance training will make you a better runner and will increase bone density- which as a woman you should be extra concerned about.

I understand that this site really promotes strength training, but at the moment it isn't part of my goals. I'm interested in becoming thinner, that's about all.

who said anything about not being thinner? lifting weights won't make you bigger. it will make you stronger.

You've progressed since the last time you posted- to wanting to do SOMETHING at all- so WIN! Big win.

But the reality is- you need to have both. Period.

It isn't about being thin- or not- it's about what's good for your body and health and wellness.

I just don't like the kind of body that comes with strength training. I'm looking for a bonier sort of look, not a toned one.

[yoovieblink.gif]

I corrected myself and said that bony wasn't the right choice of words. I'm just not looking to retain my curves at all. I'm not a fan of them.

To some extent it may be impossible to get rid of your curves...I mean...depends on bone structure as well as actual fat/muscle %...

I don't enjoy weights...I do strength training that doesn't involve weights but utilizes my own body weight. It's about finding something that works for you.

When it comes down to it, if you really don't want to run, don't run. But if you are looking to achieve an overall slimming exercise, running is a good one.

I'm running more for the feeling of accomplishment than anything else. I want to actually succeed at something, you know? Plus, hopefully it'll give my boyfriend and I an activity we can share--we don't have much in common interest-wise.

I really hope I can get rid of my curves, they're really unattractive and inconvenient Hopefully they're gone once I reach goal weight, hopefully genetics are in my favor.

Mozart was born Mozart yet he wasn't. He practiced every single day.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle.

You will succeed once you have had small successes, have failed, have picked up yourself over and over, and done it all over again. You have to take risks and waltz outside of your comfort zone, live a bit dangerously to have the success you crave. You need to earn it by putting in the hard work.
  • malavika413
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

you should be- every fitness program should have some element of strength/resistance training and some element of cardiovascular training.

Just like resistance training will make you a better runner and will increase bone density- which as a woman you should be extra concerned about.

I understand that this site really promotes strength training, but at the moment it isn't part of my goals. I'm interested in becoming thinner, that's about all.

who said anything about not being thinner? lifting weights won't make you bigger. it will make you stronger.

You've progressed since the last time you posted- to wanting to do SOMETHING at all- so WIN! Big win.

It isn't about being thin- or not- it's about what's good for your body and health and wellness.

I just don't like the kind of body that comes with strength training. I'm looking for a bonier sort of look, not a toned one.

[yoovieblink.gif]

I corrected myself and said that bony wasn't the right choice of words. I'm just not looking to retain my curves at all. I'm not a fan of them.

To some extent it may be impossible to get rid of your curves...I mean...depends on bone structure as well as actual fat/muscle %...

I don't enjoy weights...I do strength training that doesn't involve weights but utilizes my own body weight. It's about finding something that works for you.

When it comes down to it, if you really don't want to run, don't run. But if you are looking to achieve an overall slimming exercise, running is a good one.

I'm running more for the feeling of accomplishment than anything else. I want to actually succeed at something, you know? Plus, hopefully it'll give my boyfriend and I an activity we can share--we don't have much in common interest-wise.

I really hope I can get rid of my curves, they're really unattractive and inconvenient Hopefully they're gone once I reach goal weight, hopefully genetics are in my favor.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle.

You will succeed once you have had small successes, have failed, have picked up yourself over and over, and done it all over again. You have to take risks and waltz outside of your comfort zone, live a bit dangerously to have the success you crave. You need to earn it by putting in the hard work.

You sound exactly like my boyfriend. I guess it's time to start taking his advice.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

OP - you can do this. Just have to be patient. I was sad to read that you hate your curves. I'm curvy, too. I used to hate them but then I realized there's no sense in hating myself. No matter how much weight you lose, you will never be able to change your body's structure. What you can do, however, is make it the best version of itself it can be at any given time.

I love my curves now. Since I started lifting, everything looks better. I wouldn't change it - and I hope you come to the same conclusion some day.
  • malavika413
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

OP - you can do this. Just have to be patient. I was sad to read that you hate your curves. I'm curvy, too. I used to hate them but then I realized there's no sense in hating myself. No matter how much weight you lose, you will never be able to change your body's structure. What you can do, however, is make it the best version of itself it can be at any given time.

I love my curves now. Since I started lifting, everything looks better. I wouldn't change it - and I hope you come to the same conclusion some day.

I have a thicker version of an hourglass shape (38-28-38), and I only really look good in giant lumpy sweaters or 50s style clothes. I can't wear any of the modern fashions that my sister (size 0) can. I'll never get to her size but I'd love to try, just to feel beautiful the way she does.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

You sound exactly like my boyfriend. I guess it's time to start taking his advice.

It is matter-of-fact logic. When you chip away bit by bit, the result will be huge. Choose 1+1+1+1+1=5 or 2+3=5, however you feel, but I bet the first alternative is an easier way to create a lifestyle change that is permanent as well as acceptable to maintain later. It boils down to knowing yourself, your strengths and weaknesses, then boldly facing what can be "fixed".
  • PRMinx
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

I have a thicker version of an hourglass shape (38-28-38), and I only really look good in giant lumpy sweaters or 50s style clothes. I can't wear any of the modern fashions that my sister (size 0) can. I'll never get to her size but I'd love to try, just to feel beautiful the way she does.

Alright. I'm a 34 - 28 - 38. We have the measurements pretty much.

Honey, you will never be a size 0. Even when I was anorexic, bulimic, on laxatives and 85 pounds, I wasn't a size 0. You have to let it go and just be you. Today, I'm a healthy size 4-6. Down from an 8-10 at my heaviest, and that's because I lift. I still pretty much weigh the same (135-140ish).
  • malavika413
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

Honey, you will never be a size 0. Even when I was anorexic, bulimic, on laxatives and 85 pounds, I wasn't a size 0. You have to let it go and just be you. Today, I'm a healthy size 4-6. Down from an 8-10 at my heaviest, and that's because I lift. I still pretty much weigh the same (135-140ish).

I know I'll never be a size 0. It gets me down so much. I'm surrounded by size 0's everywhere I go. I range from a 6-10 depending on the garment, but it's my body type rather than my weight that's preventing me from wearing nice clothes. Big boobs, big hips (thankfully no butt).
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

Yep right there with you! I wear a 4 now and weigh about 133ish. Give or take. I am much leaner than I have ever been and I am wearing super trendy clothes. Also, doing hand stand ups makes me feel like I am a bad a and like I can take the guys at the gym. HA!

• PRMinx
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

I know I'll never be a size 0. It gets me down so much. I'm surrounded by size 0's everywhere I go. I range from a 6-10 depending on the garment, but it's my body type rather than my weight that's preventing me from wearing nice clothes. Big boobs, big hips (thankfully no butt).

I know you don't want to believe it, but a lifting program can and will change your entire outlook on your body if you give it a chance.
  • PRMinx
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

Yep right there with you! I wear a 4 now and weigh about 133ish. Give or take. I am much leaner than I have ever been and I am wearing super trendy clothes. Also, doing hand stand ups makes me feel like I am a bad a and like I can take the guys at the gym. HA!

Hell yeah!

I love your dress, BTW.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

Hell yeah!

I love your dress, BTW.

Thank you! :smiley:

• malavika413
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

I know you don't want to believe it, but a lifting program can and will change your entire outlook on your body if you give it a chance.

My boyfriend tells me curves are womanly and should be celebrated, but I hate them and wish they'd go away. I've heard that cardio and calorie deficit is the way to get the body I'm after. Maybe not a size 0, but perhaps 110 pounds...
  • casselin85
    Options
    I started my journey back to a healthy lifestyle on May 11, 2014. At the time, I weighed just under 200 lbs, or 55 lbs overweight. I am 52 years old by the way.

Slowly but surely, I got myself back in shape and by mid-September 2014, I was at my desired weight of 145 lbs, running 50 km per week.

So far, I have run 2 half marathons, both of them this past December.

You asked if it were possible, and I say « Yes, it is ».

Good luck!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Start walking now...then walk with some jogging intervals, then jog with some running intervals. You can do this!

• PRMinx
    edited January 2015
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

My boyfriend tells me curves are womanly and should be celebrated, but I hate them and wish they'd go away. I've heard that cardio and calorie deficit is the way to get the body I'm after. Maybe not a size 0, but perhaps 110 pounds...

I can't even begin to imagine what I would have to put myself through to be 110 pounds. I'd be suffering, for sure. Sometimes we just can't have what we want. Sometimes what we want isn't feasible.

If you want to just run and eat at a deficit, no one can stop you. But I don't think it's going to give you the body that you want (or close to it - I don't think the body you want is feasible). I think running and strength training will give you the best version of you, inside and out.

ETA: I would also suggest talking to a counselor. I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm saying that because I think it would be good for you to put these things in a different perspective.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

I am 5'10'' with a very "strong" body structure. Height-wise I am catwalk material, but far from the size zero you can imagine. I've spent the better part of my life wishing I was thin, but it is only now thanks to MFP that I see real beauty also in the strong kind of woman, not skinny only.

I'm probably a decade older than you, OP, so please allow me to encourage you to look at women of your own body type, who look fabulous. It will give you a good idea of what is realistic to aim for with the body type you have.

I searched high and low until I found Laura Prepon as my approximate goal, although I'm a tad more robust still and want more muscle definition, too. Now I finally feel like I can be beautiful as me, without comparing myself to anyone else. Simply be the best me that I can become. Don't spend as much time as I did hoping to be someone I can never be.
  • malavika413
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

I can't even begin to imagine what I would have to put myself through to be 110 pounds. I'd be suffering, for sure. Sometimes we just can't have what we want. Sometimes what we want isn't feasible.

If you want to just run and eat at a deficit, no one can stop you. But I don't think it's going to give you the body that you want (or close to it - I don't think the body you want is feasible). I think running and strength training will give you the best version of you, inside and out.

I think you're right. I think I'll start with bodyweight training and work my way up to weights, once I've gained some confidence to walk into the weight room. I don't know how attainable my body goal is. Being skinny is all I've wanted, I always thought that once I got skinny I'd be able to overlook my other imperfections and feel pretty for once.

I have friends that envy my "hourglass" shape, but I don't see why. I guess everyone wants what they can't have.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

I am 5'10'' with a very "strong" body structure. Height-wise I am catwalk material, but far from the size zero you can imagine. I've spent the better part of my life wishing I was thin, but it is only now thanks to MFP that I see real beauty also in the strong kind of woman, not skinny only.

I'm probably a decade older than you, OP, so please allow me to encourage you to look at women of your own body type, who look fabulous. It will give you a good idea of what is realistic to aim for with the body type you have.

I searched high and low until I found Laura Prepon as my approximate goal, although I'm a tad more robust still and want more muscle definition, too. Now I finally feel like I can be beautiful as me, without comparing myself to anyone else. Simply be the best me that I can become. Don't spend as much time as I did hoping to be someone I can never be.

Well said.
  • PRMinx
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I love this.

I think you're right. I think I'll start with bodyweight training and work my way up to weights, once I've gained some confidence to walk into the weight room. I don't know how attainable my body goal is. Being skinny is all I've wanted, I always thought that once I got skinny I'd be able to overlook my other imperfections and feel pretty for once.

I have friends that envy my "hourglass" shape, but I don't see why. I guess everyone wants what they can't have.

That's the funny thing about life...that grass is always greener on the other darn side :smile:

Skinny doesn't make you attractive. Confidence makes you attractive. And a healthy body, mind and spirit. Focus on that.