Couch to Half Marathon? Is this possible?

Options

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    blogilates.com
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest Jeff Galloway. He has a wonderful training plan and app that starts at 5k and goes all the way through marathon. He is more of the run/walk/run method which I used when I started to run.

I have run many 1/2 marathons and going to run my fist full in three weeks. As part of my training plan I have two days of weight(cross fit, HIIT or TRX) built in. I also have two days of spin class as well. I have increased my pace time from 11 min to somewhere 8:45 min (shorter runs) and 9:30 marathon distance. My trainer came up with this plan to help me get strong for the marathon and to keep the injuries away. The strong you are the better you feel and shorter recovery time you will have at the end.

Take it from me, my first 1/2 I did there was little strength training. I thought all I had to do was run and that is it. I finished the race however my shins hurts, my thighs killed and I could hardly sit down to use the bathroom for several days. When I laid down at night my legs were so painful I could not sleep. Training for the marathon has been very different. I ran 18 miles the other day just before my taper run and I felt like I could have run so much longer. My legs didn't hurt and I felt strong.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Of course! You could probably do it this March if you start practicing now.

This sounds like terrible advice. From "really, really out of shape" to half marathon in two months for no real reason? Why invite inevitable injury like that?

Meanwhile, now to read through the three pages to see that this has already been covered...multiple times.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Almost anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

I'm not interested in strength training.
    you should be- every fitness program should have some element of strength/resistance training and some element of cardiovascular training.

I don't like running- I don't like cardio.

I do it because it's good for me.

Just like resistance training will make you a better runner and will increase bone density- which as a woman you should be extra concerned about.

I understand that this site really promotes strength training, but at the moment it isn't part of my goals. I'm interested in becoming thinner, that's about all.

who said anything about not being thinner? lifting weights won't make you bigger. it will make you stronger.

You've progressed since the last time you posted- to wanting to do SOMETHING at all- so WIN! Big win.

But the reality is- you need to have both. Period.

It isn't about being thin- or not- it's about what's good for your body and health and wellness.

I just don't like the kind of body that comes with strength training. I'm looking for a bonier sort of look, not a toned one.

[yoovieblink.gif]
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This OP... lol.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Does every person that chooses not to strength train collapse from brittle bones? I mean, once we're old everybody falls and hurts themselves. It's nothing to worry about till I'm past retirement age.

You've already identified that you have joint problems and that you're significantly overweight, both of which exacerbate other conditions.

Resistance training of some kind has benefits, you pick your objectives and train accordingly. Not all resistance training is about maxing out the weights.

Okay, fair enough, being fat and having weak knees make probability higher.

I just don't want strength training to get in the way of my goals. I'm also kind of puny and lifting weights would be a huge fail.

Huh? :huh:

This is actually the strongest argument *for* resistance training.

I mean, do what you want. It's your call, obviously...but your reasoning for not doing it is fundamentally and logically flawed...

...IMHO, of course.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

This sounds like terrible advice. From "really, really out of shape" to half marathon in two months for no real reason? Why invite inevitable injury like that?

Meanwhile, now to read through the three pages to see that this has already been covered...multiple times.

March of......2016. So not so bad ;)

• jofjltncb6
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

March of......2016. So not so bad ;)

Reread. That's what OP is asking about...which is totally feasible.

The post I replied to, however, is suggesting *this* March...as in March 2015. I believe this is a Very Bad Idea™.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    This OP... lol.

Ah, I remember you. So sorry that we're different.
  • malavika413
    Options

you should be- every fitness program should have some element of strength/resistance training and some element of cardiovascular training.

Just like resistance training will make you a better runner and will increase bone density- which as a woman you should be extra concerned about.

I understand that this site really promotes strength training, but at the moment it isn't part of my goals. I'm interested in becoming thinner, that's about all.

who said anything about not being thinner? lifting weights won't make you bigger. it will make you stronger.

You've progressed since the last time you posted- to wanting to do SOMETHING at all- so WIN! Big win.

It isn't about being thin- or not- it's about what's good for your body and health and wellness.

I just don't like the kind of body that comes with strength training. I'm looking for a bonier sort of look, not a toned one.

[yoovieblink.gif]

I corrected myself and said that bony wasn't the right choice of words. I'm just not looking to retain my curves at all. I'm not a fan of them.
  • malavika413
    Options
    Does every person that chooses not to strength train collapse from brittle bones? I mean, once we're old everybody falls and hurts themselves. It's nothing to worry about till I'm past retirement age.

You've already identified that you have joint problems and that you're significantly overweight, both of which exacerbate other conditions.

Resistance training of some kind has benefits, you pick your objectives and train accordingly. Not all resistance training is about maxing out the weights.

Okay, fair enough, being fat and having weak knees make probability higher.

I just don't want strength training to get in the way of my goals. I'm also kind of puny and lifting weights would be a huge fail.

Huh? :huh:

This is actually the strongest argument *for* resistance training.

I mean, do what you want. It's your call, obviously...but your reasoning for not doing it is fundamentally and logically flawed...

...IMHO, of course.

It's more a question of being daunted. I realize there's a lapse in logic, but being puny to start with makes the idea of weightlifting extremely scary.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    LotusAsh wrote: »
    You have got to be trolling......

Yup, "comfort zone" gave it away.
  • malavika413
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Um, no. Sorry if the idea of strength training daunts me. Some people are excited by the prospect, others are hesitant. People are different. Doesn't mean I'm a troll.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I would recommend you start by challenging yourself to run a mile (yes, just 1!) and improve on your time every week. A few weeks in, try a 5k, and then start improving your time. Then, a few months later, try a 10k, 15k, 20k, and so on. You'll find that if you start NOW running 3-4 days/week, you'll be to 13.1 in no time. And if you have to walk part of it, that's ok too... as you run more, your walking speed will increase too. Set a goal for your finish time - whether it's 2 hours or 4. You can do it! :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Um, no. Sorry if the idea of strength training daunts me. Some people are excited by the prospect, others are hesitant. People are different. Doesn't mean I'm a troll.

From your other posts, everything daunts you. Not plausible.
  • malavika413
    Options

From your other posts, everything daunts you. Not plausible.

Try social anxiety and extremely low self esteem on for size. It is possible to be daunted by things other people find easy.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

[yoovieblink.gif]

I corrected myself and said that bony wasn't the right choice of words. I'm just not looking to retain my curves at all. I'm not a fan of them.

To some extent it may be impossible to get rid of your curves...I mean...depends on bone structure as well as actual fat/muscle %...

I don't enjoy weights...I do strength training that doesn't involve weights but utilizes my own body weight. It's about finding something that works for you.

When it comes down to it, if you really don't want to run, don't run. But if you are looking to achieve an overall slimming exercise, running is a good one.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, you're in college, right? College is the time when you're supposed to try out a bunch of new things to see where your interests lie. With that in mind, I'd highly recommend that you try out a bunch of different exercise types and see what you enjoy. Going from the couch to running a half in 15 months is definitely possible, but only if you like running. Do you actually like running? (If not, this is not the goal for you.) Get the c25k program and try it out.

But...

Try other things too. Take a yoga class. Rent a bike. Look into all the resources that Jo listed earlier, and try 1-2 workouts from each. None of those programs will give you a body style that you don't want -- you're not going to get thick or curvy unless you really work to achieve that look. Don't limit yourself to just cardio, because you're cutting yourself off from a lot of other ways to be active that might be fun for you.
  • malavika413
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »

[yoovieblink.gif]

To some extent it may be impossible to get rid of your curves...I mean...depends on bone structure as well as actual fat/muscle %...

I don't enjoy weights...I do strength training that doesn't involve weights but utilizes my own body weight. It's about finding something that works for you.

When it comes down to it, if you really don't want to run, don't run. But if you are looking to achieve an overall slimming exercise, running is a good one.

I'm running more for the feeling of accomplishment than anything else. I want to actually succeed at something, you know? Plus, hopefully it'll give my boyfriend and I an activity we can share--we don't have much in common interest-wise.

I really hope I can get rid of my curves, they're really unattractive and inconvenient Hopefully they're gone once I reach goal weight, hopefully genetics are in my favor.
  • malavika413
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    OP, you're in college, right? College is the time when you're supposed to try out a bunch of new things to see where your interests lie. With that in mind, I'd highly recommend that you try out a bunch of different exercise types and see what you enjoy. Going from the couch to running a half in 15 months is definitely possible, but only if you like running. Do you actually like running? (If not, this is not the goal for you.) Get the c25k program and try it out.

But...

Try other things too. Take a yoga class. Rent a bike. Look into all the resources that Jo listed earlier, and try 1-2 workouts from each. None of those programs will give you a body style that you don't want -- you're not going to get thick or curvy unless you really work to achieve that look. Don't limit yourself to just cardio, because you're cutting yourself off from a lot of other ways to be active that might be fun for you.

I don't really enjoy any physical activity, but I realize a lot of people don't. I want to do this to accomplish something. I may or may not get to the half marathon, but I could try.

At the moment all I'm looking for is cardio, but I did look into the bodyweight stuff and kept it on file for future reference.