Fat girls at Victoria's Secret.

Options
DalekBrittany
DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
A little back story: I recently (and I mean, so-recently-I-haven't-even-gone-to-training-yet recently) got hired at Victoria's Secret. Being nearly 300 pounds, I was surprised to have even gotten an interview since I applied with the manager in person. I thought surely, I won't make it to the second interview. Then I did. Looking at all the other women working there, I was absolutely positive I would not get hired after the interview with the store manager, who was probably no more than a size 6.

To my surprise, I did get hired. And not as a throwaway that they put in the back. I did well on my interview, and I got hired as a sales associate with no former sales experience...and being nearly 300 pounds. This is one of the best stores in the district, so on top of being fat, I had no experience. I thought that surely, if there was a company that discriminated against hiring fat people, it'd be them. Boy was I wrong! And I am so glad, because I love their store.

I've been doing some reading on VS. Experiences as an employee, good and bad reviews, what kind of customer base it has, etc. What interests (read: disgusts) me is that I'm finding a lot of posts and comments about how "fat girls should not be allowed in VS" and "fat girls should only shop at their plus sized stores" as well as "no one over 175 pounds should be able to shop there" and even "dear obese girl working at VS, thanks for ruining my shopping exerience" (and yes, that one was 'ruined' simply because the sales associate was 'too fat'.')

Before I ever stepped foot into that store, I never thought they would have anything that fit me. I was so embarrassed to get measured, but much to my delight the sales girl was wonderful and said though they don't carry sizes that large in store, she'd be happy to order it for me online or I could buy bra extenders. A lot of women have a problem with the fact that they don't carry certain sizes in store. I don't see the problem with this, and actually find it quite practical, if you've ever been in a VS and see how full everything always is.

My question is, what does everyone think of "fat girls" working/being at VS? If you walked in and saw a fat employee, would you be more comfortable knowing that it's at least a bit more diverse, or would you be turned off? Do you think they purposely don't cater to "fat girls"?

I'm just interested in this topic because I'm realizing that I'll probably experience a moderate amount of scoffs and sneers from certain shoppers simply for being fat. I was just wondering what other people think on the matter.

TL;DR: fat girls working/shopping at Victoria's Secret: 'go you' or 'find your own store'?

Replies

• bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I think it is amazing! It will encourage other plus-sized ladies to shop there as well to see a confident VS sales associate that is also plus-sized. Congrats on the new position!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I love that the VS where I shop has all kinds of different women. I never thought I would find my size there but was THRILLED to know that they did! I shop to get things I need the way the people who work in the store look make no difference to me.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    First - congrats on getting the job. That is awesome. Can you say Employee Discount!! LOL :) But congrats.

Second - yes of course I'd still shop there. Its good to know that they are diverse and carry sizes for all women. Women come in all shapes and sizes and if they discriminated agaisnt that they would lose a lot of customers. I don't think I'd think one way or another if I walked in and saw a very thin girl or a larger girl. As long as they could help me find a bra to fit *me* I'm a happy customer!!
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like seeing people of all sizes everywhere I shop, as well as gender, race, etc. I don't want to spend my money in a store that discriminates.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I think it's great! Thank god there's a sensible manager there that's willing to look beyond the cover!
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Fat girls have lady parts too. Go you!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    being a brit, i've not been in vs often. but i have an item or two.

y'know, as long as the shop staff are well presented, polite and know their stuff i'm more than happy! you could have three legs for all i care. if you give good service then i'll walk out with a smile.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care either way. If you are having a great experience there, go you!!!

I personally will wait until I'm smaller to shop there because I am more afraid of looking dumpy in their not dumpy clothes because of my height and proportions... but that's just me. I love their clothing styles though.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    First - congrats on getting the job. That is awesome. Can you say Employee Discount!! LOL :) But congrats.

Second - yes of course I'd still shop there. Its good to know that they are diverse and carry sizes for all women. Women come in all shapes and sizes and if they discriminated agaisnt that they would lose a lot of customers. I don't think I'd think one way or another if I walked in and saw a very thin girl or a larger girl. As long as they could help me find a bra to fit *me* I'm a happy customer!!

Ditto this! And congrats on the job!
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the new position! Second, I don't see why it should matter what size you are. If they sell your size and you like thier product, it's your money. Spend it where ever you feel like spending it.

I think having a plus-sized sales associate will make the larger women feel more comfortable shopping there.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Victoria's Secret is already the Wal-Mart of lingerie. They dont carry your size in store? They don't carry ANYONE'S size. They also have no idea how to accurately measure bust size (aka they use the +4 method).

In my opinion working there would be no different than working at any other retail store that caters to a very set number of sizes such as target, walmart, old navy, etc. just for underwear.

As far as your weight, i figure thats completely irrelevant so long as you are capable of selling their products.

Good luck at your new job! :)
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the job, but I will never, ever shop in a VS ever again. Mostly because I found they don't measure for bras correctly. They shoved me into a 38DD. I have recently found out that I'm actually a 36I. And no, VS doesn't even make them that big, but they'll happily shove you into an ill-fitting bra because the majority of us have never even heard of how to be measured correctly.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the congratulations! I was just a bit shocked to see all the people saying that fat girls shouldn't be in that store. I will admit, the underwear does run a bit small, but I am okay not buying my panties there and just the bras, along with makeup and other beauty products.

It is a weird method, but people have to remember that VS also has different sizes for their bras. It seems dumb at first, but when you think about it it's kind of smart. Only size people for your sized bras and it keeps them coming back lol. In VS I am a 48(which is actually now more like a 44-46) DD, where in "most" bras, I'm more like a 46D.
  • ml1007
    ml1007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You probably got hired because you are qualified and know how to do an interview and fill out an application. You would be surprised how many applications we get at my job where people cannot even spell the entries on their applications!

Congrats anyway!
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've had good experiences there. They were quite nice to help measure me and they do actually carry a lot of bigger sizes. you usually have to ask, as they are often in their drawers. I don't think i've ever been treated rudely there either. The manager must have saw something positive in you and maybe she thought you would be great to bring in plus sized clientele as well! So just look at this as a great opportunity.

I think I just like Lane Bryant bras better, but I have had good experiences with VS. So maybe it depends on the store. Plus I love VS PJs! I also got some fabulous lipstick from VS before too! So they have lots to offer everyone, other than panties and bras.

I think you will be fabulous! :bigsmile:
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Congrats on the job, but I will never, ever shop in a VS ever again. Mostly because I found they don't measure for bras correctly. They shoved me into a 38DD. I have recently found out that I'm actually a 36I. And no, VS doesn't even make them that big, but they'll happily shove you into an ill-fitting bra because the majority of us have never even heard of how to be measured correctly.

Unfortunately I've heard that a lot, and it's definitely something that can be worked on, but I think that problem stems from the company having a problem with pushy managers in certain stores threatening to fire people that don't hit their sales goals. We have a certain amount of measurements, sales, and store credits we have to hit per shift, and I'm really lucky that the store I'm in is one of the best in the district to shop at and to work at. I think the company needs to crack down on pushy managers. As long as the store meets their goal, it shouldn't matter if an individual doesn't sell one bra because the person just has really big boobs. I think the highest VS goes is like, F.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I think I just like Lane Bryant bras better, but I have had good experiences with VS. So maybe it depends on the store. Plus I love VS PJs! I also got some fabulous lipstick from VS before too! So they have lots to offer everyone, other than panties and bras.

I think you will be fabulous! :bigsmile:

I personally loooove VS bras, and not just 'cause I got hired :bigsmile: they have a few memory foam ones now...sooo comfy, and the material on the outside is just as soft as you like.

Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!! I am a huge VS shopper and am proud of shopping there now!
    Personally- i would admire to see diversity everywhere...
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I shop at Victoria's Secret and always get some snide looks, as if to say, "Why are YOU in here?" Truth is, I love their lacy thongs and CAN wear their One Size Fits All and Large sizes. Bras? No way, my girls get the hookup at Lane Bryant. I kind of have a "haters gonna hate" attitude when I'm shopping anyway because I wouldn't go anywhere if the weird looks bothered me.

byviolensi5_zps985b1478.gif
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i dont think VS caters to anyone over a C cup.. I can't even buy a bra there.. nothing in my size..

bravo for getting a job there though!! & no the size of the associate would not keep me from buying in the store.. that, i believe, is just ridiculous!!