Fat girls at Victoria's Secret.

Options

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I think it is amazing! It will encourage other plus-sized ladies to shop there as well to see a confident VS sales associate that is also plus-sized. Congrats on the new position!

this. i realize there are some stores that only cater to "smaller" sizes and "larger" sizes but frankly, i'm a fan of the all-inclusive brands. congratulations on your new position at VS and i hope you can be a good role model to every single customer walking through the door.

BOOBS ARE BOOBS. THEY NEED SUPPORT, BIG OR SMALL.
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    Congratulations on the new job. Glad to hear the manager chose someone with good service skills / attitude. The size you wear / what your weight is are completely irrelevant. Hope it all goes well!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    GO YOU!!!!! I guess I can probably finally wear the sizes they have in store now, but for a few years, not a chance. I have to say, that even though I knew they had nothing that would fit, I still liked to see what kinds of things they had, knowing that I would not always be in the mid-200's. And the sales clerks were always as sweet as could be and tried really hard to be helpful, so I was impressed. And-because they didn't shun or laugh or whatever (at least not that I could tell) I would shop there again once I am down to goal weight. Big women, small women, young, old, whatever-all women like to feel pretty.

Congratulations on your new job. Go get 'em!
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.
    You applied, that was half the battle. You applied yourself and were confident enough ignoring your weight. That's part of why you got the job--believing in yourself.

I don't care what size. I care how people carry themselves and if they look me in the eye or not. I don't need the north south when I walk into a place, especially from a women's-only store.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    GO YOU!!!!! I guess I can probably finally wear the sizes they have in store now, but for a few years, not a chance. I have to say, that even though I knew they had nothing that would fit, I still liked to see what kinds of things they had, knowing that I would not always be in the mid-200's. And the sales clerks were always as sweet as could be and tried really hard to be helpful, so I was impressed. And-because they didn't shun or laugh or whatever (at least not that I could tell) I would shop there again once I am down to goal weight. Big women, small women, young, old, whatever-all women like to feel pretty.

Congratulations on your new job. Go get 'em!

That was actually a major point I hit when she asked why I want to work there. Wearing a good, cute bra at the right size can make any woman feel sexy and confident, even if no one else sees it.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new job! I love VS and have always had great shopping experiences there. I'm trying to remember whether the girls who helped me were skinny or overweight and I honestly can't remember...because it doesn't matter. A few weeks ago a VS girl helped me find something for my friend for her bachelorette party and we had fun picking naughty stuff out. :)

I'm sure it was stupid teenagers saying that on the boards you were reading, but I can't even comprehend how the "obese VS girl" would ruin a shopping experience. Don't read too far into that garbage. They hired you because they knew you could add value to the company. THAT'S what you should be reading into! Good luck dear!
  • LouAnn71464
    LouAnn71464 Posts: 28
    Options
    I think it is fantastic! Congratulations on getting the job. I have never shopped at VS, but in the future I just may do that. It is so great to hear that VS doesn't discriminate based on size. It gives me a new perspective on what I thought in the past. Thank you so much for sharing your story.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've only had positive experiences at VS. I've never been overweight, but I'm not what you'd call a snappy dresser, so I felt awkward the few times I shopped there because I felt shabby. But the sales people have never been anything but nice. And you know what? I don't remember what they looked like at all, only that they were nice to me. That's all that matters.

It sounds to me like the people at the particular store where you applied don't care what you look like, either. The manager hired you, and at least one salesperson happily served you. They sound like good people who care more about what's inside than outside.

Also, you can find people hating on ANYTHING on the internet if you look for it. People love to hate. Don't take it personally, and don't expect that you'll actually run into those people IRL any more than you expect to run into any other kind of internet crazy.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think it is absolutely wonderful. Yes, if you look at the fashion show and catalogs, you would think that they would be like A & F. Go to work and do your best job ever. If anyone says anything, it is their problem, not yours. Good job!!!!!
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your getting the job! Obviously the manager saw something good in you!! I was in a VS store over the weekend and of all the employees in the store only 2 spoke to me. One tiny little thing (who was adorable) and one plus size girl (who was equally adorable and had a fabulous personality...could have talked to her for hours)! The rest of the staff (including the check out girls) just "looked" at me...like hey old chubby lady what are you doing here! But I don't let it get to me...cause I'm 49 pounds less chubby and very proud of my age! No, I can't wear the bras there...but I love the panties!! I was amazed at how extremely rude the customers in the store were...not just to each other but to the staff as well. Some people just shouldn't be allowed out in public!!
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    When I lived in the US I used to love going into VS but knew I'd never be able to fit into any of their bras.

Ladies you are missing out. check out

http://www.bravissimo.com/
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Way to go! When I weighed more, the cup size didn't fit me, but since I've lost weight, I can finally fit cup-size-wise (YAY!). I do like shopping there - for both underthings and clothes - and am glad that someone like you is working there. Women come in all shapes and sizes... props for being brave and taking the job. I was considering working there part time as well, so I'm glad to hear it's a good place to work :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I definitely would not have a problem with an overweight women working at a lingerie store. All I care about is that the store has sizes and options that fit and are comfortable for me. That the person working there has a clear understanding of the wide range of bra sizes and fits and knows the differences between brands and knows how it should look on me if it's a good fit. That the person that works there is someone I will feel comfortable with talking about these issues and being seen by her in my bra (sometimes touched), but only if she asks first. That she will be helpful and not judgmental. That if they have no bras that work for me, that she won't try to fit me into one that is the wrong fit (but will help me try as many options as I can and choose the closest fit if needed). I don't shop at VS. They don't have my size. I wear a 26 or 28 band size.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't notice/care about the size of a sales associate at any store.

As long as they let me shop in peace, Im not even thinking about them. I hate being followed around and chatted to.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't care the size of the salesperson as long as they look professional (for that particular store) and are friendly and helpful.

I love VS underwear and swimsuits but cannot wear their bras Well, I can probably now but when I gained weight they wanted to put me in a 36C (even though I'm a B) and the cups end up being way too big. I've read elsewhere that a 38B is equivalent to a 36C but someone forgot to tell my boobs that. :wink:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Way to go! When I weighed more, the cup size didn't fit me, but since I've lost weight, I can finally fit cup-size-wise (YAY!). I do like shopping there - for both underthings and clothes - and am glad that someone like you is working there. Women come in all shapes and sizes... props for being brave and taking the job. I was considering working there part time as well, so I'm glad to hear it's a good place to work :)

Thanks :) You will find people complain about the pay there, but I am using it purely as supplemental income--we are living rent-free with my future mother-in-law, and my fiance's check covers all of our bills and then some, so my entire paycheck (except the first one) is going right into savings *eta, so we can MOVE OUT! :laugh:. Plus people don't consider--you get a 30% discount at ALL VS stores anywhere, plus a 30% discount to any store owned by The Limited--Bath and Body Works, Express, The Limited, Limited Too, etc. It's a good job if you're not looking for it to pay all your bills. And the staff seem really, really friendly.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I think its effin awesome ma....*kitten* everyone who doesnt think so
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I think it is wonderful...congrats on your new job!

I bought a VSX VS Pro Sports Bra from Victoria's Secret and it was THE BEST investment I have made in a bra. I could stand on my head and my boobs AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE. It comes in a myriad of sizes from 32B to 38DDD...a size for just about everybody.

Here's a link to bra http://www.victoriassecret.com/victorias-secret-sport/maximum-support/vs-pro-sport-bra-vsx-sport?ProductID=92618&CatalogueType=OLS
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that they don't base their hiring on body size--friendliness & knowledge about the products is really all that matters. Congratulations on your new job!

I do have a huge issue with how they fit women into bras, so I would never shop there personally. I think if they corrected their fitting policy, they could do so much for women's comfort since so many women shop there & think they are being fitted correctly.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Thats great :) people are rude petiod it doesnt matter what size a girl is we all need bras and i love the quality at vs :)