Is this rude, or am I just exaggerating the issue

Options
15678911»

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If someone came up and said "Hey, do you mind if I use this treadmill?", I'm betting dollars to donuts that most of the "offended" people here would initially say no. Why? Because they don't want to be "rude".

Yup. But if they don't ask and then just hop on the machine next to you they're the "rude" ones.

Please someone tell me this post is a joke. I'm supposed to ask if I can use the treadmill next to "yours" or I'm considered rude?

Between the OP who apparently can't breathe when outside of a bubble and the woman who wants to stop progress in a shopping line lest she be tainted by peasants, this is the WORST THREAD EVER.

I usually like to burn one up in my car on my way to the gym, but now that I know it bothers so many people, I'm probably just going to smoke right outside of the entrance of my gym to see if it actually does send someone into a deadly asthmatic attack. You know, for science.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If someone came up and said "Hey, do you mind if I use this treadmill?", I'm betting dollars to donuts that most of the "offended" people here would initially say no. Why? Because they don't want to be "rude".

Yup. But if they don't ask and then just hop on the machine next to you they're the "rude" ones.

Please someone tell me this post is a joke. I'm supposed to ask if I can use the treadmill next to "yours" or I'm considered rude?

Between the OP who apparently can't breathe when outside of a bubble and the woman who wants to stop progress in a shopping line lest she be tainted by peasants, this is the WORST THREAD EVER.

I usually like to burn one up in my car on my way to the gym, but now that I know it bothers so many people, I'm probably just going to smoke right outside of the entrance of my gym to see if it actually does send someone into a deadly asthmatic attack. You know, for science.

Naw, it's a fantastic thread. It shows how self-righteous delusional aggrandizement allows individuals to think they can be either passive agressive (the check out line) or outright rude (various examples) to individuals for their smell or location based on some some strange code of personal health or superiority. As if somehow, they owned the right of occupying the space around them as a sphere of privileged isolation.

When the zombie apocalypse or the rapture comes, I'll be the one closely breathing darkly in your space.

No, wait, I think it's time we took the banner on - I will listen to the catching breath, I will watch for those that pull in a little in the elevator, the unease shift on a seat in the movie theatre. I will be there, just a little closer, a little less washed, a little more tuna salad sandwich (and onions) upon my breath.

We are legion, we are anonymous, we are in your personal space.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    KatieAlexx wrote: »
    Like you said, smokers don't always realize that they smell.

I absolutely do not buy that.

I think THEY can't smell themselves- but I absolutely do not buy that they have no clue they smell to other people. Cigarette smoke smells- we all know it does.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    the smell of cigarette smoke is revolting. i'd have said something nasty in your position. kudos for taking the high road.
    Would you say it if it was body odor? I'd love to see how that conversation goes.
    One has the option to stay or not. Rights to equipment that are open go to everyone, not just to people who believe that personal space should be honored.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Have any vicks vaporub? Stick a smear of it beneath each nostril.

Y R U TRYING TO KILL THE OP?
    I posted that with the off chance that someone would actually try it... lol.

I used to do that when I was in my kenpo tournament days to keep my head clear.

Have you ever accidentally smeared some inside a nostril? It will make you excel in all thing.
    No, but there was a tiger balm incident that got me off the stuff for life.

Similar container to lube and the lights were off?
    lights were on, but yep.
  • dbmata
    Options
    wait, people didn't realize the check out line thing was a joke?

Das good right der.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Das good right der.

heh- I have a pet peeve of people being in my space while waiting to check out- I am pretty okay with anything around arms distance- but I'd say if I T-rexed my arms and I could touch you- you're still close- and I WILL say- excuse me. do you mind.

There is no reason to be pushing to get to the register.

I actually hate when people who use the stupid "divider" at the grocery store- it's like- seriously- I put all my stuff in a small pile- like I'm REALLY going to let you buy my stuff- or buy the guy behind me's stuff? It's just weird how OCD people get about the food divider.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I use it, why? Because even though I put two feet of space between my crap and the dumbledore in front of me, the check out artist is always asking lord dumbles if my crap is his.

I mean... seriously kid?
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Das good right der.

Nope. Apparently one must put "LOL" at the end of something non serious.

Although yesterday when I was in line at the grocery store I wanted to do that to the person behind me just to see what they'd do.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Das good right der.

heh- I have a pet peeve of people being in my space while waiting to check out- I am pretty okay with anything around arms distance- but I'd say if I T-rexed my arms and I could touch you- you're still close- and I WILL say- excuse me. do you mind.

I actually hate when people who use the stupid "divider" at the grocery store- it's like- seriously- I put all my stuff in a small pile- like I'm REALLY going to let you buy my stuff- or buy the guy behind me's stuff? It's just weird how OCD people get about the food divider.

I love it when people bang their carts into the back of my feet when I'm standing in line. There's been plenty of times I've given a hard hip-push to their cart when they do that and they give me the stink eye!

As for the divider: there are times where I haven't used it and put my stuff down -- well away from the person in front of me -- and the cashier has gone to grab the items. Apparently it's really not for you but so the cashier knows who the stuff belongs to. Because, you know, a big gap between items is way too confusing!
  • JoRocka
    Options

Das good right der.

I love it when people bang their carts into the back of my feet when I'm standing in line. There's been plenty of times I've given a hard hip-push to their cart when they do that and they give me the stink eye!

As for the divider: there are times where I haven't used it and put my stuff down -- well away from the person in front of me -- and the cashier has gone to grab the items. Apparently it's really not for you but so the cashier knows who the stuff belongs to. Because, you know, a big gap between items is way too confusing!
    Dude- that hurts- like A LOT. I would absolutely hip check someone for that!!! I HATE when people bump me with their carts- which is why I unload- and then I go in front of my cart- I never push it in front of me through the line (although- it's about 2 x a year I shop with an actual real shopping cart- I use a hand cart only the other 363 days of the year)

I use it, why? Because even though I put two feet of space between my crap and the dumbledore in front of me, the check out artist is always asking lord dumbles if my crap is his.

I mean... seriously kid?

yeah- that seems to be the biggest thing- is the check out person- but the guy behind me (usually women- not to sound sexist) are like LUNGING over me and my stuff to get the damn divider- like chill dude- I can take responsibility for my stuff- and I'll tell them that's it. It just - it makes my head hurt- I'm sure for the register person- it DOES make life way easier. But a little common sense goes a long way.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Das good right der.

It's so strange to me how I shopped for 30 years without a single problem and now people stand there like idiots until I pass them back a 12 inch piece of plastic. I could have 3 items and they act like there's NO POSSIBLE WAY for the clerk to figure out what's what unless that divider is in place.
  • goddessofawesome
    edited January 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Das good right der.

It's so strange to me how I shopped for 30 years without a single problem and now people stand there like idiots until I pass them back a 12 inch piece of plastic. I could have 3 items and they act like there's NO POSSIBLE WAY for the clerk to figure out what's what unless that divider is in place.

The sad fact is that they can't. If you don't have the divider and your stuff starts creeping up the cashier always says "Is this yours?" to the person checking out as s/he reaches for the items.
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    it's annoying whether they smell or not. And yes smokers reek, no matter how careful they are. I can always tell if my father in law has been in my home, I hate it and he is no longer allowed on upholstered furniture, kitchen chairs for him. I can't stand the smell.

Wow... I don't like the smell either, but I would just Febreze my chairs after. Seems really rude to your F-I-L.

It's her house. She can institute any rule she wants. I'd probably do the same thing if someone came over and made my furniture smell like old cigarette butts.

Do you do the same thing with dogs too? True story - dog owners smell worse than tobacco smokers.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    it's annoying whether they smell or not. And yes smokers reek, no matter how careful they are. I can always tell if my father in law has been in my home, I hate it and he is no longer allowed on upholstered furniture, kitchen chairs for him. I can't stand the smell.

Wow... I don't like the smell either, but I would just Febreze my chairs after. Seems really rude to your F-I-L.

It's her house. She can institute any rule she wants. I'd probably do the same thing if someone came over and made my furniture smell like old cigarette butts.

Do you do the same thing with dogs too? True story - dog owners smell worse than tobacco smokers.

Sure dog owners smell -- if their dogs are dirty and nasty and if they don't clean. I know quite a few people with dogs and they don't stink, nor does their house. There might be fur on my couch but aside from that when you walk into my house you'd never know we have a dog.

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Sure dog owners smell -- if their dogs are dirty and nasty and if they don't clean. I know quite a few people with dogs and they don't stink, nor does their house. There might be fur on my couch but aside from that when you walk into my house you'd never know we have a dog.

Thank you
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    A-FREAKIN-MEN! I am sensitive to that scent too! At my gym it gets pretty crowded when I go but I still try to spread out if I can. If someone gets on next to me I assume it is because no other machines are empty but when I go at night when it isn't as busy and someone gets on next to me I keep my pepper spray close (it's on my keys which I keep with me) or I move/switch machines or leave. That's so rude and creepy when people do that!

You carry pepper spray with you in a gym on a treadmill? I don't sense sarcasm, but I'm really hoping this is sarcasm.

The pepper spray is on a keychain on my keys and I take my keys with me because I don't want to leave them on the keyring up front because no one monitors it. I don't want someone taking off with my keys! So it goes with me everywhere. My gym is 24 hours but no one is working there after 6 so when I go at like 8:30-9 I am VERY aware of my surroundings because the gym is not in the nicest area so I figure better safe than sorry.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A-FREAKIN-MEN! I am sensitive to that scent too! At my gym it gets pretty crowded when I go but I still try to spread out if I can. If someone gets on next to me I assume it is because no other machines are empty but when I go at night when it isn't as busy and someone gets on next to me I keep my pepper spray close (it's on my keys which I keep with me) or I move/switch machines or leave. That's so rude and creepy when people do that!

You carry pepper spray with you in a gym on a treadmill? I don't sense sarcasm, but I'm really hoping this is sarcasm.

The pepper spray is on a keychain on my keys and I take my keys with me because I don't want to leave them on the keyring up front because no one monitors it. I don't want someone taking off with my keys! So it goes with me everywhere. My gym is 24 hours but no one is working there after 6 so when I go at like 8:30-9 I am VERY aware of my surroundings because the gym is not in the nicest area so I figure better safe than sorry.

K, I see. My gym is 24 hours and staffed, so it makes more sense to me if you're all alone and late and someone is giving you creepy eye.