Is this rude, or am I just exaggerating the issue

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I hate when people are all up in my personal space... When I'm in line at the grocery store it always seems someone wants to try to crawl into my back pocket... So I've solved the problem.... I quietly take the divider bar, that you place on the conveyor belt behind your groceries and the next person's, and I lay it on the ground a few feet behind me... They get the message to BACK OFF pretty quickly.
    Lol, I would have got up close and said "you dropped this."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

WHILE breathing heavy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Vlaw21117 wrote: »
    I thought this website was a place people came to find encouragement and support others. So instead of empathetic to someone with a health issue that is in a GYM trying to improve themselves you decided it was better to judge her then come to a forum to further degrade this woman. I guess it is true that hurt people hurt people. I guess all those times people looked at your fat rolls with disgust gives you the right look down on others. How dare you and others call people WEIRD and to hell with your social etiquette. I hate cigarette smoke just like most non smokers but that does not give me a license treat others as less than myself. Check your ego because your little 4 miles on treadmill isn't *kitten*!!! Fatties Vs. Smokers how ridiculous.
    People will always complain about something that may not jive with them. In a public place, unless it's against the law, many people still think that the world revolves just around them and that behavior that they don't condone should be followed by everyone else.
    There's etiquette (wiping a machine down after using it, IE) and there's perception of what others believe should be etiquette.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    lolz. careful, guys, we've got an internet badass here who makes LEGAL CHOICES! woah! total tuff gai!

If you're referring to me, I never claimed to be a bad *kitten*. I just don't give a *kitten* about what people who mean nothing to me think. There is a significant difference.
    I'm like this. If people freak out about what I wear, how I carry myself or whether or not I dance in the weight room while working out (sometimes I do), that's their issue to deal with.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • jenniferplankenhorn
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You are over reacting!
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    You are over reacting!
    no need to be mallow dramatic
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Now, I totally get that there is an unspoken social rule about not being next to someone if there is space, HOWEVER, I for one am a creature of habit. The gym I go to has a row of 10 treadmills. I use the same one every time. If someone is on "mine" and I have to use another it kinda throws me and it just doesn't feel right and I feel I'm not getting a good workout. As soon as they get off it I get off the one I'm using and get on it.

With that in mind, yes. I will use "my" machine regardless of whether its right next to the only other person in the gym.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If someone came up and said "Hey, do you mind if I use this treadmill?", I'm betting dollars to donuts that most of the "offended" people here would initially say no. Why? Because they don't want to be "rude".

Yup. But if they don't ask and then just hop on the machine next to you they're the "rude" ones.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have, on occasion, moved to another treadmill/elliptical when the person beside me has b.o. or just makes me uncomfortable for some reason, but I head to the bathroom for a moment first. Less awkward.

A bit like when I am at the grocery store and there is a cart partially blocking an aisle and there is a someone heading towards the bottleneck from one direction just as I am heading from another. If it's a guy, very often he stops and feigns interest in something on the shelf near him so I can pass through first.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I thought this website was a place people came to find encouragement and support others. So instead of empathetic to someone with a health issue that is in a GYM trying to improve themselves you decided it was better to judge her then come to a forum to further degrade this woman. I guess it is true that hurt people hurt people. I guess all those times people looked at your fat rolls with disgust gives you the right look down on others. How dare you and others call people WEIRD and to hell with your social etiquette. I hate cigarette smoke just like most non smokers but that does not give me a license treat others as less than myself. Check your ego because your little 4 miles on treadmill isn't *kitten*!!! Fatties Vs. Smokers how ridiculous.

Sometimes supporting means people is giving them a safe place to rant about things that annoy them so they can vent their frustration instead of bottling them up. It's not hurting the anonymous woman at the gym.

Your post degrades it's target audience, that seems a lot more intentionally harmful.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    The worst is when people who haven't showered in like 6 months have to sit, stand, walk, workout, breathe etc. right beside you.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Af6vp.gif
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow lol...this became quite the topic
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Eh, on the whole, I think you're probably not overreacting.

That said, did that person simply grab the nearest treadmill? Or, for that matter, the treadmill the furthest away, so that she got a few more steps in? Maybe, for whatever reason, she likes that particular treadmill? My point is that maybe there's a particular reason she chose that treadmill - you just happened to be next to it.

This, I'll pick whatever treadmill I like - in my gym that's the one that's most in-line with the air conditioning vent. If you happen to be on the one next to that one, so sorry (I guess?) but that's the treadmill I want and I'm not going to let you being on the one next to it, stop me...

maybe I'm oblivious, then? Whatever.

ETA: Jeez, when I started replying there were only 2 pages LOL. Teach me to walk away and come back without checking!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    the smell of cigarette smoke is revolting. i'd have said something nasty in your position. kudos for taking the high road.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

tumblr_lqqcyeJdJ41qbvaudo1_250.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Have any vicks vaporub? Stick a smear of it beneath each nostril.

Y R U TRYING TO KILL THE OP?
    I posted that with the off chance that someone would actually try it... lol.

I used to do that when I was in my kenpo tournament days to keep my head clear.

Have you ever accidentally smeared some inside a nostril? It will make you excel in all thing.
    No, but there was a tiger balm incident that got me off the stuff for life.

Similar container to lube and the lights were off?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ner'mind
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Why the hell was a smoker on the treadmill? I mean isnt that like a diet coke and candy bar?

Why not? The two things are not mutually exclusive.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Why the hell was a smoker on the treadmill? I mean isnt that like a diet coke and candy bar?

Yes yes I know... just seems counter intuitive. my husband ran his best 5K as a smoker.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Yes yes I know... just seems counter intuitive. my husband ran his best 5K as a smoker.

So you were just sharing with the group what you likely shared with your husband many times, huh?