whoops that was squad
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Food = energy ...yes, or no
    No. You got the science, the math or both wrong.

apparently, some people do not understand basic human anatomy and how food is used for energy.
    Are you seriously suggesting that you have taken a college-level A&P class?
    He'd never heard of Michael Pollan before today. :|
    But he's so much smarter than we are! How is that possible?

Must be my oft-mentioned stupidity and inability to understand anything that prevents me from realizing how the answer must be that it is because I'm an idiot who cannot understand his "Science!"

awwww look the white knight crew has banded together to gang up on me...

isn't that your definition of bullying????
    And the name calling begins. I guess that's the next step, when arguing semantics and logical fallacies fails.

I'm not sure someone can be a white knight AND a bully. Can you maybe call me a troll? I'm a little jealous of all the women you call trolls. 'Faceless troll' is a nice one, too. :D
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Fun fact, in Europe (at least in Denmark), calories are listed as "energy" on packages.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Fun fact, in Europe (at least in Denmark), calories are listed as "energy" on packages.

And in the USDA foods list, it's labeled "Energy" with the unit of "kcals"
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/9?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    its pretty simple..you either say yes food provides energy or no it does not ...

some replied that was false, which is what I responded too...
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Right? I posted a page or so back that the definition of "calorie" is a unit of energy!

• ndj1979
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Right? I posted a page or so back that the definition of "calorie" is a unit of energy!

hmmmm I wonder why...?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You are confusing the social aspect of food eating out, dining in a social setting, eating for enjoyment, etc, with the nutritional side of food, which is food for energy. Again, the two are not mutually exclusive.
    If food is only energy, there is no nutritional side and no need to track macros.

If preferences matter, then people can have preferences to not eat certain foods.

Food doesn't contain energy, it gives us energy. It's not like energy content is right there between calories and grams of fat on a label . . .
    No, it's not between calories and grams of fat, it *is* calories. A calorie is a unit of energy.

It was just an example to explain the point, jeez.

Let's all breathe here . . .
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    qOAPk.gif

This is my very polite request for the participants in this thread to get back on topic and discuss without taking shots at one another. Below is a reminder of some of our community guidelines (all hail!), which I know all of you already know, but I'm going to leave them here anyway. The next step is to start giving people points if the attacks continue.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

6. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts

Topics or posts which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    Food does actually contain energy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_transformation

I don't think anyone misunderstands that we get energy from food.

So then the statement food = energy is true . . .

So why is anyone debating it???

Food does provide energy (except for soluble fiber, and water, if you consider water food), however it provides more than energy.

Sure it provides nutrition and all that good stuff . . . but you just said what he said a long time ago, food = energy. He didn't say it's ONLY energy (at least not where I read, if he did then he did) he just said it is energy. Whether it provides additional things is not what was being discussed, until afterwards.

The point is you get all the "added bonuses" if you will by consuming the food. You cannot go through muscle repair without protein from food to do so, but it's still energy. No one said it doesn't give you more than just energy, it does, but you need energy to keep going so you need food.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    calorie definition for all the doubters...

The name calorie is used for two units of energy. The small calorie or gram calorie (symbol: cal) is the approximate amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius at a pressure of one atmosphere.[1] The large calorie, kilogram calorie, dietary calorie, nutritionist's calorie, nutritional calorie, Calorie (capital C)[2] or food calorie (symbol: Cal) is approximately the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius. The large calorie is thus equal to 1000 small calories or one kilocalorie (symbol: kcal
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Food does provide energy (except for soluble fiber, and water, if you consider water food), however it provides more than energy.

Sure it provides nutrition and all that good stuff . . . but you just said what he said a long time ago, food = energy. He didn't say it's ONLY energy (at least not where I read, if he did then he did) he just said it is energy. Whether it provides additional things is not what was being discussed, until afterwards.
    I guess we read differently. I count six times in the first 3 pages (emphasis mine):

1-Food is just energy
    2-its not an opinion ..food = energy ..nothing else..that is a fact...
    3-at the end of the day it is just energy
    4-so at the end of the day Food = energy
    5-at the end of the day food is just energy that fuels my body
    6-You are confusing the social aspect of food eating out, dining in a social setting, eating for enjoyment, etc, with the nutritional side of food, which is food for energy.

(Seriously, who would be arguing that food is not energy, among other things?)

• oes82330
    oes82330 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would try adding more fiber rich vegetables and whole grain carbs. Your diary looks really great, but the added fiber should help you feel "full". Way to go on your success so far!! Don't give up!!
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I may or may not have just watched that cat video for about 3 minutes straight.
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options

I guess we read differently. I count six times in the first 3 pages (emphasis mine):

1-Food is just energy
    2-its not an opinion ..food = energy ..nothing else..that is a fact...
    3-at the end of the day it is just energy
    4-so at the end of the day Food = energy
    5-at the end of the day food is just energy that fuels my body
    6-You are confusing the social aspect of food eating out, dining in a social setting, eating for enjoyment, etc, with the nutritional side of food, which is food for energy.

(Seriously, who would be arguing that food is not energy, among other things?)

here is one:

No. Food is not = energy nothing else that is a fact.

here is another from you kalikel

its not an opinion ..food = energy ..nothing else..that is a fact...(my statement)
    No, it isn't. (the response)

several other people said it was "opinion" and not a fact...

so yea, someone made that argument which is the reason this whole thing started...

and yes, food provides nutrients which your body then uses as fuel for bodily functions (energy)
  • allison1983weber
    allison1983weber Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ANNNNDNDDDD, this is officially the last question I will post on MFP, what a joke. When did it become about an argument over helping someone succeed at getting healthier? Stop arguing, it's getting old! Thank you for all the positive comments and help. Today is way better!
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" does not mean "fulfilling".. you have to eat foods that are filling, not just "clean".
    I eat whatever I want, and I am full.
  • 1983mb
    1983mb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a dumb question but are you really hungry... or are you just craving food for emotional reasons? I've found that the hardest part of losing weight is giving up food as an emotional crutch. Before MFP, did you eat because you were bored, tired, sad, stressed, etc...? By feeling "hungry" maybe what you are actually feeling is the discomfort of everything you were blocking out before with food.

Take a hard look at what "hungry" means to you. When do you feel "hungry"? When you get your next "hunger" attack, stop a moment and be mindful. What were you thinking about, something stressful or upsetting? You might be surprised.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    ANNNNDNDDDD, this is officially the last question I will post on MFP, what a joke. When did it become about an argument over helping someone succeed at getting healthier? Stop arguing, it's getting old! Thank you for all the positive comments and help. Today is way better!

I am glad to hear that you are having a good day with less hunger!

Please don't be discouraged by our arguments! While it looks petty and childish, it really isn't -- I for one learn a great deal about how to feed myself because of these arguments.

And not all threads devolve into arguments. :smile:

I wish you the best of luck with your new lifestyle!