Eating VERY clean and tons of protein but still hungry

Options
15678911»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    1983mb wrote: »
    This may sound like a dumb question but are you really hungry... or are you just craving food for emotional reasons? I've found that the hardest part of losing weight is giving up food as an emotional crutch. Before MFP, did you eat because you were bored, tired, sad, stressed, etc...? By feeling "hungry" maybe what you are actually feeling is the discomfort of everything you were blocking out before with food.

Take a hard look at what "hungry" means to you. When do you feel "hungry"? When you get your next "hunger" attack, stop a moment and be mindful. What were you thinking about, something stressful or upsetting? You might be surprised.

This was definitely true for me.
  • pinkberry25
    Options
    Hi Allison! So I've been in your shoes. Last year I started a clean eating journey as well and I lost 11 pounds in 4 days. I was lethargic to say the least but by the second week, I started incorporating more veggies, beans and grains and that changed everything. So I fell off the wagon and started back up last week but in the year I didn't eat clean I learned alot. Looking at your diary, you're really depriving yourself of food. A couple of things I would switch out, is for breakfast eat something substantial. Something like quinoa with greek yogurt, berries almonds and a little honey for sweetness. If you just have the yogurt, you'll be starving an hour later. Or try something with eggs like a veggie omelet. Canned tuna isn't necessarily clean because of the sodium content and it's processed. So switch that out for fresh fish like tuna steaks. Make sure you're eating some type of carbohydrate with lunch and dinner such as sweet potatoes, beans, rice or quinoa. Stay away from white breads, rice, and white sugar. Biggest tip is to try to eat real, unprocessed foods. Stay away from canned fruits or vegetables because the sodium content is outrageous and they're not considered clean. The only packaged or canned foods you should be eating while clean eating are foods like pasta, meats (raw uncooked, not lunch meat or processed meats) and canned tomatoes. You shouldn't have to venture into the grocery store aisles for much of anything except tea, coffee, bread and pasta. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more info
  • allison1983weber
    allison1983weber Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice everyone. Before I definitely ate when I was bored, if I wanted something I ate it. This was definite hunger. But I have increased my calories and am feeling great. I ate a big breakfast and lunch and no more hunger!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Great news.

Sometimes you just have to experiment to see what works for you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ANNNNDNDDDD, this is officially the last question I will post on MFP, what a joke. When did it become about an argument over helping someone succeed at getting healthier? Stop arguing, it's getting old! Thank you for all the positive comments and help. Today is way better!
    I'm really sorry to derail your thread. You shouldn't have to put up with it. I don't usually get involved in the childishness and nastiness for that very reason. Nobody should have to wade through all the nonsense that happens so frequently. I apologize for my part in it and will make an effort to go back to not doing it.

It's normal to be hungry when you first start losing. If you eat only healthy foods, though, you really shouldn't be that hungry. You can eat SO MANY fruits and veggies for so few calories! A lot of people have trouble meeting their calorie goals when eating only healthy foods.

Maybe you need to eat a little more? If you're weak, tired all he time or getting dizzy, you might need to eat more.

Sorry, again, about participating in the nonsense. I hope you'll hang around. :)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice everyone. Before I definitely ate when I was bored, if I wanted something I ate it. This was definite hunger. But I have increased my calories and am feeling great. I ate a big breakfast and lunch and no more hunger!

Great! I was on vacation the last two weeks of the year and became aware of times that I would normally just snack or eat things when I wasn't hungry. I didn't do it but I was conscious that before trying to lose fat I would have just eaten something to chew and not be bored. It was pretty enlightening.

Sometimes the conversations here get off-topic and heated. Just sift through and find the info you need and ignore the rest. I'm pleased to see that a lot of folks have been steadily giving you advice and tips.

And please keep posting. I think it was a great question and am sure it helped a lot of people who might have read it even if they didn't comment.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I also eat high protein and am finding it quite pleasant so far!!!
  • Mantha18
    Mantha18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    qOAPk.gif

This is my very polite request for the participants in this thread to get back on topic and discuss without taking shots at one another. Below is a reminder of some of our community guidelines (all hail!), which I know all of you already know, but I'm going to leave them here anyway. The next step is to start giving people points if the attacks continue.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

6. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts

Topics or posts which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

I'm glad someone else is getting sick of this ridiculous argument going on. I came to this thread as I'm interested in the OP'S ORIGINAL QUESTION and the reponses suggesting help. I gave up reading on page 4 and skipped to the end to see if it was still going on and of course it was. I feel sorry for the OP whose having to sift through all these to read the genuinely helpful and on-topic posts.

Now, back to the original topic....I've been having a similar trouble, though I eat more calories than yourself and often go over my sugar goal =( everyone is different and will find benefit in different dietary choices. Myself i've found snacking on carbs (just a small amount) tides me over if im hungry in the evening. I'll often have a piece of toast or a couple of crackers and i find it fills me up. I know other posters suggest protein and fat or fibre fill them up more. Also many have suggested playing around with your food choices to find what works for you. This i completely agree with and, like you are doing, i'm trying for myself, to get to the point where im not starving at any point in the day or before bed (as it stops me sleeping) but still hitting my targets and losing weight.

Well done on your loss so far and good luck =)
  • allison1983weber
    allison1983weber Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) It definitely turned into something that I was not interested in. I have upped my calories and have had way better success with my hunger. My weight loss has slowed considerably, so I feel better knowing I am doing it the right way :)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    beachgod wrote: »
    You are wrong in a car

You are wrong at a bar

You are wrong with your friends

You are wrong in South Bend

You are wrong as can be

You are wrong, don't you see?

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Interested in the facts why?

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    when you start restricting calories when you haven't been for the longest time you will feel hungry all the time because your body is used to it. It's normal. You'll get used to your new eating habits and your body will adjust. Just make sure you are eating enough and not starving yourself.